Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

oh my god I love this thread! Im a christmaholic and I love love love Christmas eve. Usually get up around 9am too excited to sleep. Shower dress coffee turn on christmas cd, sing along get in the spirit and head down town to meet my 2 bros in our old local, we dont drink there anymore but always come in on xmas eve. We have a few brandys/whiskeys (something warming!) then bro heads off to last minute shop, tradition! and I head up to mams to say hello and smell the christmas smells in the kitchen! then hubby collects me we go home and wrap all presents, I usually have another brandy then off back to mams for big pot of something lots of wine and merriment. and we open all our pressies there and then! dont know how it began but its our tradition since I can remember (Me and hubby open our presents on christmas morn so I still have something). I just love the feeling on Christmas eve- I sum it up with the phrase from xmas song Sleigh Ride 'theres a happy feeling nothing in the world can buy' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Simple for us.

I'm home from work around 12 and cook until 5.

I prep all all the veg for the big day, boil my ham and then bake it.

Stuffing is made, turkey is preped.

Then its the time i love.

Big fire, door locked, kids in bed...............

Home alone on the tv and a bailey's coffee in hand:)

Then santa gets geared up and time for bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Simple for us.

I'm home from work around 12 and cook until 5.

I prep all all the veg for the big day, boil my ham and then bake it.

Stuffing is made, turkey is preped.

Then its the time i love.

Big fire, door locked, kids in bed...............

Home alone on the tv and a bailey's coffee in hand:)

Then santa gets geared up and time for bed.

Love it:D!! Home Alone is the best:)

And baked ham mmmm - must try that some year instead of boiled!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

We tidy the house, Mam is usually stressing getting the veg prepared. Myself and my brother started a tradition a few years back of walking down to the local Dunnes just before closing time and hanging around the meat aisle until they slap on the reduced stickers...it started out as a joke, and it is still funny, as you recognise all the other 'lurkers' at 17:50!! Usually end up with a cheap turkey or a leg of ham that gets named 'Hank' and lug it back home!

The boyf calls in for his visit (I go to his house on St Stephens).

We still watch the RTE news to see Santy head off (this year is the last year of Santy in our house), and check him up on the Santa tracker online. It's so cute!

Prayers (the folks like a bit of religion so gotta go with it when you're in the house), leave out the carrot and cookie and milk, put little sister to bed, crack open the roses, re runs of the Office or Extras or whatever is on the telly...and then bed!

I love Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Oh, I love Christmas and I love that others are talking about it already......

Christmas Eve traditions. Hmmmmm.........
    Since we had our son the day before Christmas Eve 5 years ago our Christmas tends to start on his birthday (break-up day).

We break up from work on 23rd, as it's my sons birthday all the family (aunties, grannies, grandads, childminders etc.) all come round for a birthday party. As my sons birthday is so close to Christmas I feel its further unnecessary expense to his friends parents by throwing a childs birthday party into the mix days before Christmas, so I make as much of his birthday with the family as I can on 23rd, (and it's a great start to Christmas celebrations :)

After everybody leaves we tidy up and plan Christmas Eve. This usually involves me planning to go into town for last minute 'bits' on Christmas Eve morning. There is always some disaster / last minute hitches which need to be sorted on Christmas Eve morning. Then I head home and start to get things ready for Christmas Day. Then we head out for a bite to eat and get home on time for my daughter and myself to go to Christmas Eve mass at 6pm. It's my favourite mass of the year. Meanwhile the Ham is cooking at home.

After we get home from mass the children get into their pj's, set out Santas table and then toddle off to bed. I then prep what I can for dinner the next day i.e. veggies and stuffing. After that I bring down the pressies and set up for the next morning. Quick glass of wine or a cup of tea and then it's off to bed with full excitement for the next day.

Christmas day then involves us getting up with the kids and checking out what Santa brought. After pressies we quickly get dresses as we drive 15miles to my parents for Christmas breakfast where my sisters and their partners and kids are and we exchange gifts there and have brekkie. Then it's back into the car and a swift dash home to cook dinner for us and guests, usually my partners parents.
    And then when dinner is over I just feel like collapsing.
    Oh how I love it and I soooo cannot wait for it again this year.
    Christmas is my most favourite time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AllAboutAoibh

The 23rd is my favourite. Myself and the mammy and the daddy go to Cork airport to get the big sister home from the UK, and mammy cries every year without fail. Then we stop off at my aunties house in Cork and exchange gifts and have a bit of a meal with her and her husband and kids. It's my favourite, cause the kids still believe in Santa.
    On Christmas Eve we go up to Galway to visit the Grandparents, especially since they haven't seen my sister in so long. :) We go for a bit of a wander around town, Dad and I go to Charlie Byrnes for an hour or so...And i run to the RI sale to spend the gift voucher my aunty gave me the night before)..Then we get heaps of chinese food and eat it at the grandparents and drive home to Limerick. It's the same every single year and I wouldn't change it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Work in Retail but stick to my guns that I must finish at 4pm. Whole family(sister hubby kids,brother who never does anything with family but would never miss this,mother father myself and son) all meet for dinner somewhere. So shattered from retail season but get energy as soon as we all meet. A realisation that this is what it is all about. Each to their own homes then to meet next day at sisters house. But again have to have the new PJ's,new slippers etc. Santa long gone from this house but we still get up like he has come,Xmas music playing..Oh I wish it could be Xmas every day....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Best day of the year Christmas Eve, bar none!!

I'm very lucky to have a Scandinavian background so we celebrate two Christmases. On Chrismas Eve the family gathers in my parents house for the first Christmas dinner, this is usually a traditional Scandinavian dish including on occasion reindeer (don't tell the kids about the meat they're munching away on!). Then all sit around the christmas tree which is stock piled with presents from our extended family abroad and one person is nominated to dish out the gifts. This usually takes over an hour and is a wonderful family time. Then we have christmas cake, cookies and chocolates and sit there browsing through our gifts.

Then we get up on christmas day, head to the inlaws and do it all again!

We also do the scandanvian thing on xmas eve, we have something called Pinnekjøtt, it cured mutton ribs with potatoes and creamed turnip mash, sounds odd but its actually lovely. Thats become a tradition on xmas eve in our house. Then the traditional Irish xmas dinner on xmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Christmas eve is my favourite day of the year. I'm a mom to 2 girls aged 16 and 11 so this year will be a little different in that the 11 year old has an awareness that she didn't have before. It will be our first "grown-up" christmas but I'm looking forward to it. I will get up about 7.00 am on Christmas eve and start the food prep for Christmas day. Will get ham, spiced beef, stuffing and veggies ready but the goose will be cooked on the day. Then it's in to town for a bit of browsing and to soak up the atmosphere. Lunch is a sandwich in the Long Valley and maybe an Irish coffee. Then home again and a few friends and neighbours will call for a glass of wine and the exchanging of gifts. We dont watch much tv but will have christmas music on all day. Pressies will be put under the tree and a little something will be left out for Santa and the reindeer. Then it's off to bed (in new pj's of course) and girls are under strict instructions that no-one comes down before 7.00 am

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I love that so many other "grown ups":) haven't given up getting new pj's for Christmas either, its one of my favorite things about Christmas. I'm a nostalgic type so I do a lot of thing's that made me feel Christmassy as a kid like watching one of The Den Christmas specials on YouTube and i'll also make sure to watch The Muppet Christmas Carol.

During the afternoon I'll usually put on the radio and listen to Fairytale Of New York being played to death (I love it though!) while I wrap presents for my brother and my Fiance who can't wrap to save their lives.There's also a custom of helping my Father with the last minute gift purchase for my Mother. Ever since he bought her a Slendertone one year he now, thankfully, asks for advice!

I live next door to my parents so when they go to midnight mass, I go in and make Mulled Wine and Eggnog to warm them up when they get back and we usually order a take away and sit around and watch The Vicar Of Dibley and Father Ted Christmas Specials until someone is brave enough to break the seldom experienced family unity by announcing they're off to bed.

• Advertisement

I normally have to go to work for a couple of hours in the morning, but usually we spend it drinking tea and chatting. Then off home to my house, collect all the gifts, load up the car and off to the parents. There I help them with the veg peeling, and we get the ham cooked etc. I make some home made mince pies and some finger food and get the beer and champers chilling. Then the rest of the siblings call up and we have some nibbles and couple of drinks, put on cheesey Christmas music and see who can sing along the worst.

Then we have 'Stupid Santa'. It's a tradition that started about 5 years ago when we had a pretend Christmas dinner in November for a brother who was going travelling. Instead of real presents, we had to find the most ridiculous presents for as cheap as possible and wrap them up in imaginative ways (magazines, cereal boxes, empty beans tins!). Now that tradition has extended to every xmas eve. It's so much fun and we all roll around the floor laughing at the ridiculous gifts. Some of us go to mass then, I don't. Then later down to the local for merry chat and drink. Home by 12 where we absoloutely must eat some hang sandwiches!

Then to bed with the clean sheets and new pyjamas and up around 9am to see what santa brought :D

EDIT: and I just realised none of this will probably happen this year due to half my family emigrating :( Think i'll have a little cry now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Myself and my brother started a tradition a few years back of walking down to the local Dunnes just before closing time and hanging around the meat aisle until they slap on the reduced stickers...it started out as a joke, and it is still funny, as you recognise all the other 'lurkers' at 17:50!! Usually end up with a cheap turkey or a leg of ham that gets named 'Hank' and lug it back home!
    This is hilarious! I laughed out loud at it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

As I was growing up christmas eve was when we met up with my moms side of the family, everyone would pile into a pub at about 4 o clock to have a few drinks then head home at about 7-8 to go to bed and wait for santa.

Stephens day was when we all went to my dads side of the family, all the cousins would pile into the Nans house and stay there all day eating a full christmas dinner again with all the trimmings.

Myself and my boyfriend are now making our own traditions. Christmas eve morning is spent getting the last few things organised, taking the dog for a walk (she really doesnt like the cold so last years snow/ice did not make for a very productive walk).

At about 4 o clock we head to my dads for lithunian christmas (12 dishs served once the first star in the sky can be seen) that night we go to the local pub with all the boyfriends friends for a few pints then walk home. (this year we wont be within walking distance and will have to drive)

christmas day is split between the two families, last year was dinner at mine and evening drinks (lazying about) at his so it is the opposite this year.

Im trying to fit in a dinner this year with a few of my friends but I really dont see where I will have time in chirstmas eve/day so I think that will have to wait for stephens day.

really cant wait for christmas but I cant get anything organised as we are about to move into our new house so im preparing for that instead. hopefully by the time halloween is finished I will be able to focus all my attention on christmas preparations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

We have two Christmases, because my wife is norwegian and i live over here in Norway.

Each year we alternate between Ireland and Norway. This year christmas is in Norway, so my family from Ireland will be coming over to stay with us.

Christmas eve over here is the big day, so the 23rd is actually more like Christmas eve, so we usually get up early go down to the local Christmas market and have a wander around. I try organize all the bits i need for the Irish Christmas dinner. Its not easy getting a big lump of salted ham, i have to special preorder it have have it cured in salt, weeks beforehand !

This year we have just bought a new house up in the countryside so we are pretty much guaranteed a white Christmas. So on the real Christmas eve the 24th :) everything is closed, we will probably get up nice and early, head out for a stroll or out on the cross country skis before heading back to have the Norwegian Christmas dinner cooked by my wife's father along with a few norwegian Christmas ale's.

After dinner its time to exchange some gifts, this is the Norwegian tradition. Then probably a few hot whiskies while putting out the kids presents and watching our favourite xmas films, Scrooged and Home Alone. Then to bed nice and early, showered, new pyjama's, bed sheets and all that :)

Christmas day its pretty much Irish Christmas day with the exception that we will probably go skiing for an hour or so, the local ski resort is only 10 mins down the road. Its lovely to get out into the fresh cold air for a bit and come back to have the 'proper' Christmas dinner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

My Christmas Eve is usually pretty simple. I get any last minute bits I need and then head for a meal somewhere. Then it’s straight to our local. Xmas eve night in the local is one of the best nights of the year. You see so many familiar faces that you don’t see too often throughout the year. Everyone is in such a great mood so we all just catch up and drink beer what more could you want?! I'm already looking for that night now!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My Christmas Eve is usually pretty simple. I get any last minute bits I need and then head for a meal somewhere. Then it’s straight to our local. Xmas eve night in the local is one of the best nights of the year. You see so many familiar faces that you don’t see too often throughout the year. Everyone is in such a great mood so we all just catch up and drink beer what more could you want?! I'm already looking for that night now!

This is exactly how I feel about my local on Christmas Eve, everyone is home, in great form, merry out and most years a sing song of Christmas songs gets going, its great craic, you just can't beat it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I usually get up at about 10 on Christmas eve, head to some form of shopping centre and fight people for presents. Usually do all my shopping on xmas eve!

After the shopping I head back to the home place for about 3 or so, usually picking up a family member or 2 on the way. Once in the door after saying hello to everyone (have 5 brothers and 2 sisters) would have a drink or 2 and some food. Usually then myself and a couple of the brothers set up a networked game of Football Manager which usually gets played when there's nothing else going on, great for a bit of craic between the brothers and usually runs for 3/4 days.

Then at about 8 or 9 it's down to the local pub to see who else is home!! We used to have a good crew around 20 of us or so but the numbers have been dwindling in recent years with people moving away and stuff :( Most years we end up staying way too late in the pub and leaving well after closing. Usually arrive home fairly sauced and attack the ham that's on the hob, might not do that this year though as there has been hell to pay for that in recent years. After butchering the ham would have a quick look at what Santa has brought and head off to bed, waking the next morning usually with an awful hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

I LOVE Christmas Eve! Think I prefer it to Christmas Day!
    In the morning myself and my mam will usually go into town to pick up a last minute pressie and just soak up the christmas atmosphere & I meet with my boyfriend to exchange gifts and look around the shops (we just started this tradition recently).
    Then in the afternoon we visit our cousins to give them presents - think boot of car piled high with presents :D and we will have various family members & friends call to us throughout the day with presents, etc.

After that, the rest of the day is usually spent preparing food for Christmas day. My aunt lives on her own so she spends evey christmas with us. We go to 'midnight' mass at 9pm and when we come home we sit by the fire, have a drink, eating chocs and everybody opens 1 present (or sometimes more ;)) Then we will watch whatever christmassy stuff is on RTE & go to bed around midnight.

However, this year will be different as my cousin is getting married in Florida a few days after xmas and I am her bridesmaid! About 20ish members of my family are going out so we will have Christmas in the sun! It will be strange but I'm excited! Christmas in America is amazing, plus I can't wait for the sales :D

Edit: Meant to say Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I LOVE Christmas Eve! Think I prefer it to Christmas Day!
    In the morning myself and my mam will usually go into town to pick up a last minute pressie and just soak up the christmas atmosphere & I meet with my boyfriend to exchange gifts and look around the shops (we just started this tradition recently).
    Then in the afternoon we visit our cousins to give them presents - think boot of car piled high with presents :D and we will have various family members & friends call to us throughout the day with presents, etc.

After that, the rest of the day is usually spent preparing food for Christmas day. My aunt lives on her own so she spends evey christmas with us. We go to 'midnight' mass at 9pm and when we come home we sit by the fire, have a drink, eating chocs and everybody opens 1 present (or sometimes more ;)) Then we will watch whatever christmassy stuff is on RTE & go to bed around midnight.

However, this year will be different as my cousin is getting married in Florida a few days after xmas and I am her bridesmaid! About 20ish members of my family are going out so we will have Christmas in the sun! It will be strange but I'm excited! Christmas in America is amazing, plus I can't wait for the sales :D

Edit: Meant to say Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum!

Welcome Bright_Eyes!:D If you love Christmas then you'll love this forum!

They sound like lovely traditions! Especially the one with you bringing gifts to your cousins and the car piled high with presents! Like something you'd see in a Christmas movie:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

Oh i LOVE this!!!!:D

Every christmas eve me and my mam head to woodies and buy more christmas decorations cause there all half price!!!! i love this cause she always buys me and my sis something special for our house.

When we get home we watch the 6 news with my son to see santa take off and his face is priceless(it makes my heart melt) we have a take away then my son has his bath and puts on his pjs his auntie bought him. Its the same for my sisters 2 kids who are 19 months and 6 months.

When the kids are asleep my dad starts putting together the toys that need to be put together!!:D (while eating a big tin of roses!!!)

Next morning we get up early and exchange gifts and watch the kids eyes light up which is the most amazing feeling in the world. Me and my sis help mum with dinner while everyone else minds the kids. After dinner we take out the rte guide and decide on a film and veg out in front of the telly for the evening.

I love Christmas Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well since my Mam passed away 2 years ago, my Christmas Eve traditions have changed a lot. Used to be I'd be at home for a few days by that stage and would be going around with her visiting or cooking or whatever.

Now though I spend Christmas with my brother and sis-in-law down the country, so Christmas Eve entails getting lunch with my GF in town before she gives me a lift to the train. Usually watch 'The Muppets Christmas Carol' and maybe another Christmassy movie on the train over, which always has a nice atmosphere. Then it's home to his house where we'll play videogames while his wife is cooking (she hates anyone in her kitchen, it's not that I'm lazy!!) or we'll sit at the breakfast bar drinking whiskey and yapping watching her cook. Then it's off to her family for a drink to see in Christmas Day, and back home to watch a late movie and then bed after sneaking some of the ham...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭ap1986

stick on the home alone box set while wrapping presents...gets me in the festive mood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

I love Xmas eve.

Get up early have a nice fry. Then take the kids down town for a wander round and let them have some money to buy a small present each. Its great fun watching them in the shops trying to get each other stuff without being seen :D

Then we go home unless its lashing we walk down town and back to ware the kids out a bit help them sleep for santa coming. Kids have a pizza for diner their fav and its nice and quick!

We give them a christmas eve presents a tradition my mam started years ago its always the same thing a book or an annual for them to read in bed.

The kids get an email from santa with a personal santa message thanks to portablenorthpole.com Then they have hot choc in front of the fire watch Norad Santa tracker.

Have RTE on listening to updates on where santa is. Then my mam comes over she always buys the kids new pj's for xmas. So kids are washed and mammy puts them to bed in new pj's and tells them storys. Myself and partner go out to the local pub for a drink to meet santas helpers and pay for the presents. On the way we jingle bells very loudly under the kids bedroom window.

Then we are home by 10 have a drink with mammy and get down to the toy making business.

I can't wait for xmas i love love love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

I love reading everyone's Christmas Eve stories!

It's my birthday on Christmas Eve, one of the reasons I love Christmas Eve so much!!! This year will be the first year in I don't know how long that I won't have to work!

Usually I'll be in work and we get an "unofficial" half day! Then I head out to Swords to see my Mam and Dad and my Nanny and assorted Aunties and Uncles!

That evening me and my friends usually head out to the local pub and have a few drinks before heading home to bed before Santa arrives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jessie86

awh I LOVE this thread!!

Im a HUGEEE christmas lover so I can vent here instead of my boyfriends ears hehe
    I havea 4 half year old - he's actually 5 Stephens day so I do his bday party a week before Xmas!!

Christmas Eve - get a take away, wrap all the pressies when child is in bed.. display them all over the sitting room..eat half a carrot (not really:P) , leave crumbs around fireplace (he's so messy santy), and drink his milk.. I usually have christmas music playing too :)

xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 jessie86

oh also do the Santa Claus tv thing online!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Last year my brother told me about the Norad Santa tracker and we had a laugh watching him fly all around the world, delivering presents. It's brilliant and well worth a look on Christmas Eve
    http://www.noradsanta.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

the family sit around the tree and sing carols :) though we didn't do it last year. hopefully get back into the spirit of things this time around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

presents go under the tree, when the father comes home from the pub we get mass that night (watching him hiccup his way through mass is always funny), generally walk home with the neighbors, wish each other well. Inside ALWAYS watch the Father Ted Christmas special :) and open all the presents from aunts, uncles, each other etc..

next morning santa comes, if you get me, big fry up and walk the dog...love christmas. Most of my friends head pub on Christmas eve but i wouldnt have it any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

leahyl what a great idea for a thread :)
    anyway i have two teenagers 17&15 & a 16month old but for the last 10 years we have been going to the children's mass a 6 on Christmas eve,nativity play & carols,then to my mam's for cuppa,then home for me to make the sausage meat stuffing(for the sandbo's later) but last year things got messed up because of the snow(which i love) but the teenagers were not happy not getting to mass which i thought was lovely because their tradition was broken,we are all kids at christmas :)

Advertisement