Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ekrixinatosaurus was waay bigger than we thought

• 04-08-2011 7:20pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don´t know if you guys knew about this already, it's not extremely recent news but seems that no one paid a lot of attention to it.

Ekrixinatosaurus (explosion-born reptile) is usually said to have been 7-8 meters long, about the size of Carnotaurus. However, a new study finds that it had very different proportions and that it was a very massive, powerful animal with a length of about 10-11 meters!

This makes Ekrixinatosaurus the largest known abelisaur, and disproves the idea that abelisaurs couldn´t reach giant sizes until the dissappearance of carcharodontosaurs (Ekrixinatosaurus coexisted with Giganotosaurus).

Here's the paper: http://www.notosoft.com.ar/pdfs/Juarez_Porfiri_Calvo.pdf

And here's an Ekrix vs Giga pic:

ekrixinatosaur_vs_giganotosaur_by_hodarinundu-d43eguo.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Nice find with the paper (think I'll repost it in the paper thread). Very nice pic too ;)

Just looking at the width of Ekrixinatosaurus' skull and it's an absolute beast! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Hhhmmmm. Interesting.
    Working on a theory regarding the individuality of late cretatious N. America and the apparent lack of diversity among the top preditors for the last 5 million years.

This fits in quite well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

So OK this is going to show up my lack of knowledge a lot. But you don't learn anything if you ignore your limitations.

I have never heard of Ekrixinatosaurus before this thread. :o

Hhhmmmm. Interesting.
    Working on a theory regarding the individuality of late cretatious N. America and the apparent lack of diversity among the top preditors for the last 5 million years.

This fits in quite well...

I'm still holding out for some late surviving relative of Acrocanthosaurus...

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm still holding out for some late surviving relative of Acrocanthosaurus...
    There was. But "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" reclassified them as a juvenile T.Rex on the grounds that they were both bipedal. A lot of Paleontologists got on board with the idea on the grounds that he had to get something right eventually....

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    So OK this is going to show up my lack of knowledge a lot. But you don't learn anything if you ignore your limitations.

I have never heard of Ekrixinatosaurus before this thread. :o

You didn't know?
    It's latin for "explosion-born reptile", but coincidently it's also swedish for "Ceratasaurus-in-a-funny-hat".

Just one of those linguistic quirks....;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

There was. But "He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" reclassified them as a juvenile T.Rex on the grounds that they were both bipedal. A lot of Paleontologists got on board with the idea on the grounds that he had to get something right eventually....

More details plz!

Found this on another forum:
    ekrixinatosaurus_by_hodarinundu-d36z0gr.jpg

Holding out on us buddy? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Found this on another forum:
    ekrixinatosaurus_by_hodarinundu-d36z0gr.jpg

Holding out on us buddy? :D

What forum was that? :O This is the only forum where I participate XD

That Carnivora forum. I think they have your Deviant Art page bookmarked and scan regularly ffor new dinos/pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

fer gawds sake get the darn things published before they rip you off totally mate. You are losing out.

Rubecula wrote: »
    fer gawds sake get the darn things published before they rip you off totally mate. You are losing out.

He can sue the people who rip him off... then suer everyone else who draws realistic looking dinosaurs, just like Greg Paul :pac:
    http://paleoking.blogspot.com/2011/03/greg-paul-threatens-legal-smackdown.html

Come to think of it, suddenly the huge 'carnotaurs' from Disney's Dinosaur no longer seem so far fetched.

Come to think of it, suddenly the huge 'carnotaurs' from Disney's Dinosaur no longer seem so far fetched.

Which is cool because those carnotaurs are probably the most badass dinosaurs ever rendered other than the ones in JP

Advertisement