Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,631 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

RonMexico wrote: »
    After the Dublin farce I'm never going to see him again unless it is the original line-up and they have being putting in reliable shows.
    Have defended him no-end in the past but I think he is getting worse with every tour in terms of his unprofessional attitude. He is clearly not in shape and you can tell by his voice.

Never gonna happen. You need Slash to make the original line-up complete, and himself and Axl do not speak to each other anymore.

I actually think MCD were in a bit of a pickle with that gig. Due to the fact technically Axel and his friends did fulfill their contract (playing a gig on the night) . I no it was a disgrace on the way people were dealt with by staff etc but if Axel had not performed then people would have gotten there money back because MCD could sue him , but i think because he did perform to a half empty arena they cant do anything. However i dont see any promoter MCD/Aiken bringing them back anytime soon

They forced them to play the gig so they would not have to refund money to the punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,573 ✭✭✭lord lucan

RayCon wrote: »
    I think it was Descartes, while working on Meditations on First Philosophy, once said ... "what the fU.ck was that sh!te" ...

I've been reading this thread on my phone over the last few days whilst on hols and vowed not to post in any more GN'R threads but i have to comment on this vid. It's embarrassing,like a bad GN'R tribute band. Actually,i've seen better GN'R tribute bands over the years. Axl is looking more like the 2002 Axl,carrying a few pounds and with a terrible voice. I suspect this US tour could be car crash tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Speaking of car crash tv LL. The appetite line up of GNR have been nominated for the 2012 RnR hall of fame. That could and probably will be a utter disaster if they get there.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Speaking of car crash tv LL. The appetite line up of GNR have been nominated for the 2012 RnR hall of fame. That could and probably will be a utter disaster if they get there.

Up until a couple of years ago i'd have paid any money to see the AFD line-up but now i think it should be left be. If they were inducted to the R&R HoF i think it would be best if they just accepted it without performing as a band. I honestly don't believe the will or love is there and there's nothing worse in R&R than contrived or forced performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

The appetite line up of GNR have been nominated for the 2012 RnR hall of fame.

*Dismay* ... and still Rush get blanked ever year .... *shakes head with bewilderment*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

From everything I've seen in the past couple of years, G'N'R is not a band anymore. it's a sum of good/great musicians. That's it. That's all. There's no real alchemy between them. It sounds "cold". The last album is actually a good example of that. Over worked. Over produced. Over played. Over everything. Axl tried much too hard to get out the perfect album by retouching it 1000 of times. In the end, as good as it sounds and could be from time to time, it lacks creativity freshness.
    Then, adding to that the last Irish "joke" concert... welll "rolling eyes".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Up until a couple of years ago i'd have paid any money to see the AFD line-up but now i think it should be left be. If they were inducted to the R&R HoF i think it would be best if they just accepted it without performing as a band. I honestly don't believe the will or love is there and there's nothing worse in R&R than contrived or forced performances.

The only real problem in that line up is the Axl and Slash thing. From what I gather Izzy, Duff and Steven have all made some sort of peace with Axl (two of them even performed on stage with him and Steven would perform on stage with Axl if he was allowed...) so there's this thing between Axl and Slash - which could be solved by a conversation really - if not for the sake of the fact they could sell the DVD of the awards ceremony and make a small fortune if they all performed together.

The last thing I want, and what I would consider more of an insult, is a situation like Van Halen's induction which was a complete joke and an insult to that band.

Only Michael Anthony and Sammy Hager turned up, nothing of which represents the line up now, and Velvet Revolver performed Van Halen covers in tribute....I know Eddie was in rehab, and I like Michael's acceptance speech, but this is NOT Van Halen

The only real problem in that line up is the Axl and Slash thing. From what I gather Izzy, Duff and Steven have all made some sort of peace with Axl (two of them even performed on stage with him and Steven would perform on stage with Axl if he was allowed...) so there's this thing between Axl and Slash - which could be solved by a conversation really - if not for the sake of the fact they could sell the DVD of the awards ceremony and make a small fortune if they all performed together.

The last thing I want, and what I would consider more of an insult, is a situation like Van Halen's induction which was a complete joke and an insult to that band.

Only Michael Anthony and Sammy Hager turned up, nothing of which represents the line up now, and Velvet Revolver performed Van Halen covers in tribute....I know Eddie was in rehab, and I like Michael's acceptance speech, but this is NOT Van Halen

Not a chance of them ever speaking to each other again. If someone branded you a "cancer" would you speak to them again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

They'll play again when they're offered crazy money, it's just matter of when.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Batigol

They forced them to play the gig so they would not have to refund money to the punters.

I sent an application to the SCC the day after that joke of a gig and the following week I had a cheque from MCD refunding my two tickets.

Staff told me it was over and to leave no mention that they would come back on was my reason in the application

Batigol wrote: »
    I sent an application to the SCC the day after that joke of a gig and the following week I had a cheque from MCD refunding my two tickets.

Staff told me it was over and to leave no mention that they would come back on was my reason in the application

MCD actually paid you money!!!!??? Wow!

Concert promoters should refuse point blank to work with this guy, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Pity he didn't handle the Dublin gig like this. At their gig in Argentina this week.

Also look at the difference between this performance of Jungle versus Rio, all because he couldn't be arsed warming up properly for the first gig of the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pity he didn't handle the Dublin gig like this. At their gig in Argentina this week.
    Also look at the difference between this performance of Jungle versus Rio, all because he couldn't be arsed warming up properly for the first gig of the tour.

Wow that was actually ...... average.

Slightly off topic but here's an online poll from the R&RHOF. Chili's are currently ahead.:eek:

http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Riddle101 wrote: »
    They're just Axl and friends now, right;)

Although I do like DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot, and think they're just as good as orginal line up.
    They're just as good??
    They're not even close to Slash and Izzy, originality has to count. GN'R's most famous songs and guitar work came from Slash and Izzy's riffs and solo's not people covering their work..
    November Rain for example only has Axl down as writer, yet Slash wrote the guitar solo's that effectively made the song what it is and Axl was too big headed to let him recieve any royalties for it

Never thought that Axl could talk about Slash without foaming at the mouth.

Never thought that Axl could talk about Slash without foaming at the mouth.

Laying the groundwork for a reunion!:pac:

And he's read Slash's book too!

Off I go to the Conspiracy Theory forums:D

Not a chance of them ever speaking to each other again. If someone branded you a "cancer" would you speak to them again??

I think there are plenty of examples throughout the world, written on paper, where mere mortals in position of power have made statements along the lines of "I wouldn't be sad if he died in a car crash" or "I hope he burns in hell" and then a few weeks, months, years or decades later have stepped out on stage with each other

Pink Floyd reunited, David Lee Roth played with the Van Halen brothers again, Cream and The Faces reunited after decades apart and even Cliff Richard buried the hatchet with The Shadows (or the other way around, I don't know!)

The point is, it can be done! As long as they're all alive, that is the only condition that needs to be met

I like this video, it proves one thing, that there is no shouting and no attacking behaviour. You see - he can be nice and happy and greet fans and shake hands. That is the kind of Axl Rose I want to see all the time.

• Advertisement

Yes,i'm a child but this gave me a giggle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

I like this video, it proves one thing, that there is no shouting and no attacking behaviour. You see - he can be nice and happy and greet fans and shake hands. That is the kind of Axl Rose I want to see all the time.

Agreed. Nice by Axl though, in fairness. There's a part of me that hopes they don't win the RNRHOF award, cos (imo) reuniting the original GNR is just gonna wipe out all the work done by NewGNR. And if origianal GNR reunite, it's only gonna be a matter of time before they throw the toys outta the pram again, and then GNR, in any of it's forms, will be dead..... :(

Yes,i'm a child but this gave me a giggle.:D

That makes me laugh, surprising that he was able to just get up and shake it off. He seems to be a lot happier these days then he used to be. He also seems to like touring Mexico and the fans there actually adore 80s rock bands even more then the South Americans

I remember poor Steven Adler was on the radio in Mexico once, being interviewed, and he was asking if he could use the phone to call Izzy Stradlin before he forgot, and I just remembering feeling so sorry for that poor guy cause sometimes he just gets so lost in his addictions.

RVD420 wrote: »
    Agreed. Nice by Axl though, in fairness. There's a part of me that hopes they don't win the RNRHOF award, cos (imo) reuniting the original GNR is just gonna wipe out all the work done by NewGNR. And if origianal GNR reunite, it's only gonna be a matter of time before they throw the toys outta the pram again, and then GNR, in any of it's forms, will be dead..... :(

:D - One sub-par album vs All the classic siongs that they cover from the original band.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Has anyone see the video with Axl in a thong and some random dude tries to have surprise butt sex with him on stage before being taken off by security? It was very wtf is happening?!

Has anyone see the video with Axl in a thong and some random dude tries to have surprise butt sex with him on stage before being taken off by security? It was very wtf is happening?!

Is this the one? Rock in Rio 1991 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Is this the one? Rock in Rio 1991 iirc.

LOL yeah, its ridiculous. Now the whole shorts thing was I dunno, maybe Axl thought he could look like he was into sports, but the sumo wrestler underwear, what was he thinking?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

rednik wrote: »
    the city of Monterrey, Mexico, fined the concert’s organizers $870

That's loose change for Axl, or anyone associated with him, it's about as pointless as the time the city of Dublin fined Slash personally for smoking indoors during a Velvet Revolver gig

And at least at this gig he continued performing to a manner of which the audience were accustomed, and they all went home completely satisfied. Oh and the promoters weren't dickheads. What? Too soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The two and a half hour show played to rave reviews

I'd prefer a 1 hour forty show where the singer stayed on stage the whole time and didn't bugger off for 'oxygen breaks' after every second song leaving the rest of the band to play a boring solo to fill the time.

Advertisement