Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N62 - Thurles Bypass

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Other than a few tractors what exactly needs to bypass Thurles ???

It is between nowhere and nowhere in the grand scheme of things. The N62 runs between Thurles and Athlone and should be retired to a regional road in favour of the N80 and N52/N51 corridors which is where the money should be spent on an outer Leinster Bypass.

The dangerous primitive N24 in the south of Tipp which is/certainly once was a Primary Road also needs a serious upgrade but that will not happen before 2030 .

Ballinrobe , to my mind, would be an example of a necessary town bypass on a National Secondary route ...although flattening a half mile section of the north west corner of the town would also do the trick :) Listowel would be another, not that I propose flattening any of Listowel .

But Thurles, no .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Stating the obvious, traffic from much of the MW and SE would probably pass through Thurles to get to Athlone and the North-West. Now, that's likely not a very significant number of vehicles (I haven't read the feasibility report so I've no idea of the numbers involved), but a fair share of HGVs pass through very tight streets in Thurles to get to the midlands.
    Anecdote: A young man listening to headphones was crushed on the corner where the N62 meets the N75 (I think it was the intersection of those two routes; close to the Ursuline in any case) by a HGV which was making a tight turn on an N62 street. I'm not saying that a bypass should be built on foot of that, but the general trend is to bypass all towns in order to make them more pedestrian friendly. It's generally a good policy. But the N62 Thurles Bypass is certainly well down on the list of priorities and is far from vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I live near Thurles and have often witnesed the chaos caused by HGVs manoeuvering around Liberty Square from the very tight turns from the narrow side roads. There are frequent minor collisions plus the tragedy highlighted by Furet. There is quite a lot of north-south HGV traffic from Templemore/Roscrea towards the M8 at Horse and Jockey plus those serving what's left of local industry

The town council keep tinkering with the traffic but the usual narrow minded self interest of traders and councillors means nothing effective is done at a local level other than taking up column inches in the Tipperary Star. The local Garda insisted that ther own traffic plan was tried out recently, I stayed out of the area!:rolleyes:

They've put a couple Puffin crossings in recently but for pedestrians around the square it's still difficult, not helped by the Irish attitude to parking!

Probably the same story in other towns but it looks like we are going to have to live with in the current climate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

yeah its defo needed, when I lived down that direction Thurles was always a nightmare for traffic.

Plus who wants to actually drive tru thrules, its a horrible place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The trial traffic management comes into effect this Friday.

Linky to article about scheme.

I drive through Thurles twice a day. When I go through in the morning there is zero traffic. In the evening there is some traffic which leads to about 5 minutes or so delay heading north to south.

I'll see what it is like Friday evening but it will probably take a week or so for people to get used to it.

At least something pro-active is being done. The one saving grace is that there is no on-street parking directly outside shops in The Square. Although the central square car parks could probably be rationalised a bit better.

• Advertisement

Okay, can we try to stay on topic with the N62? The off-topic discussion on secondary routes in general is very interesting, but deserves its own thread. Feel free to create one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

dannym08 wrote: »
    yeah its defo needed, when I lived down that direction Thurles was always a nightmare for traffic.

Plus who wants to actually drive tru thrules, its a horrible place

I'm reading this wondering why people can't discuss the issue without rubbishing the town?

Anyway, moving along, the fact is that Thurles does exist and a lot of traffic passes through the town and causes lots of problems. From the side of town I live on it can take 45 minutes to get to the square at certain times of the day.

There is a new traffic management system being tried out from Friday of this week, for those who know the town:

If you are travelling up the square (coming from the Dublin side) you will no longer be able to do a full round of the square. You will drive up towards Friar Street, turn right at the top, you can no longer do right back down the square you must drive up Parnell Street (which will become a 1-way street) turn right down the small road, Cuchalinn Road? and right again down Rossa Street and come back onto the square at the AIB Corner. This is routing all traffic down a tiny road where (as has already been pointed out) a young man was tragically killed.

This is effectively routing all traffic from Nenagh side and from the Holycross side and from the Cashel side (coming in past Dunnes Stores), and let's not forget from Templemore/Athlone direction down one of the smallest streets in Thurles. Let's also not forget that the last time it was attempted to make Parnell Street one way a young man was killed off his motorbike. We'll have to see if it works, I predict mayhem this weekend though, avoid the town!!!

I'm not sure if people realise that there is a proposal to direct traffic coming down from the midlands (Athlone/Templemore road), they will turn off at Cluian Glass (housing estate near old Dwans factory) and come out at the Tipperary Institute Roundabout, from there they can head towards Nenagh, or go across Bothernanaomh to head towards the Cashel Road.

Traffic in Thurles is a mess, whatever happens there needs to be more than one crossing over the river into the town from the Dublin side.

As mentioned there also is a need to improve the flow on the square, get rid of double parking, educate people to the fact that there are 2 lanes at each side of the square, and that a pelican crossing is not a zebra crossing and people shouldn't just walk across, they must wait for the lights.

Rant, Rant, moan.....

That's that off my chest now! I'll face the traffic again in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

On match days isn't there chronic congestion?
    90+ minutes to cross the town to get onto main roads, I heard for a day of G/KK LK/C matches, so there was traffic going separate ways.

Has nobody ever heard of park and ride and it is only about 4 sundays a year .

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Just looking at the proposed options I'd choose the Red option with the the blue and green additions. Even if the town was on a regional route a town of this size needs a bypass/ relief road and planning and design should be undertaken in anticipation of future funds been available

• Advertisement

Yep, Thurles will continue to grow and there will be a bottomless pit of "development contributions" to tap .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yep, Thurles will continue to grow and there will be a bottomless pit of "development contributions" to tap .

A town of the size it is now and with its street layout needs a bypass irrespective of future growth.

My only problem is whether there is a "National" dimension to all of this . Of course there is a regional and local dimension.

The Claregalway bypass is a national/regional issue ...irrespective of whether an M17 is built to the east . It is important in Galway and to Galway . The current N17 carries over 20000 cars a day south of Claregalway after the N18 splits the north south traffic off .

This lot traverses Claregalway first. The N62 north of Thurles only carries about 4000 vehicles a day .

My only problem is whether there is a "National" dimension to all of this . Of course there is a regional and local dimension.

The Claregalway bypass is a national/regional issue ...irrespective of whether an M17 is built to the east . It is important in Galway and to Galway . The current N17 carries over 20000 cars a day south of Claregalway after the N18 splits the north south traffic off .

This lot traverses Claregalway first. The N62 north of Thurles only carries about 4000 vehicles a day .

It dosent have to be a national issue here I agree things have to be prioratised and there are projects far far ahead of this, I still think there is nothing wrong with planning and designing a bypass for the town and then seeing where on the list it lies. It will be years before any thing is done about it anyway.

As Thurles is the largest town on the N62 I am happy to trade a bypass fro a permanent N de-desigation. Throw it out to all of Tipp on that basis.

In a nutshell, use it AND lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet wrote: »
    Okay, okay, so this is YONKS away from the construction phase. But! We can still discuss these things. Some information about feasibility, routing, etc. available here.

Constraints Study: http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/roads/roads_plan_thurles_constrains.html

Some documents attached; more are available on the first link above.

The red route would seem to make the most sense - if Thurles is expected to expand significantly anytime in the future, a reservation to the West of the town could be made for a direct N62 bypass - in any case, any large town should have a bypass!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Thurles will definitely need a bypass if the proposed development at Two-Mile Borris goes ahead.

The N62 is one of the four national secondary routes that I hope will be given priority for upgrading.

The others are the N61, N52 and N80.

If all four routes were upgraded, they would provide alternative routes via the midlands and link the midlands to the south-west, south-east, north-west and north-east (and those regions to each other) while avoiding Dublin and the intermediate Atlantic Corridor towns/cities.

Are we forgetting the N51 which links the rather significant Drogheda Navan Mullingar with 20k+ populations as distinct from Thurles Roscrea Birr Roscommon which are all more like sub 5000 populations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Are we forgetting the N51 which links the rather significant Drogheda Navan Mullingar with 20k+ populations as distinct from Thurles Roscrea Birr Roscommon which are all more like sub 5000 populations

The N61/N62 route also links those towns to Athlone, Sligo and Cork (also Limerick in some cases).

As for the N51, it would be much better to build a new road between the existing N52 and N51 routes (i.e north of the existing N51, south of the existing N52) from Delvin eastwards, combined with improving the N52 from Mullingar to Delvin.

That way, you'd have one good route connecting Mullingar to Navan, Drogheda and Dundalk.

It also avoids the problems of upgrading the N51 along the River Boyne between Drogheda and Navan.

That would require an east-west bypass of Slane and major road works close to the Bend of the Boyne archaeological complex - absolutely not on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Thurles town centre does need some sort of relief to traffic, but what's the best option a relief road around the town or a full blown by-pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Thurles will definitely need a bypass if the proposed development at Two-Mile Borris goes ahead.

The N62 is one of the four national secondary routes that I hope will be given priority for upgrading.

The others are the N61, N52 and N80.

If all four routes were upgraded, they would provide alternative routes via the midlands and link the midlands to the south-west, south-east, north-west and north-east (and those regions to each other) while avoiding Dublin and the intermediate Atlantic Corridor towns/cities.
    i hear that the n80 from Tullamore to Clara is to be downgraded to an r road fairly soon.this will lose priority for future upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Sorry for raising an old thread but it seems the most appropriate in this instance.

Apparently the new route is about to be announced this week:

http://tippnorth.com/?p=1070

I think the bypass will be suspended now that the route is announced. I can't see any movement on this.

You might well be right. The money mentioned is 34 million Euro so won't easily justified .

I heard today that the route will be from Drish Bridge, on the Dublin Rd to Knockroe and around the town until it meets up with the Templemore Rd. If true, then it is a hell of a long way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Although it's not likely to happen anytime soon the announcement will remove uncertainty over planning issues on the alternative routes.

There is one internal link road under construction now and the proposed development of the Erin Foods site if it happens includes another that will provide some relief but only the bypass will take HGVs right out of the town centre.

An independant councillor recently talked a lot of sense about town centre traffic management, not that anyone will listen :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ratucdm

route has been decided, apparently....

http://tippnorth.com/?p=1111

Worth quoting that for the nod and the wink element alone:
    Mayor Michéal Lowry has welcomed the selection of the route for the proposed Thurles Bypass. The route which was selected was the Green Route (click the image to the left to view all routes). The final draft for route is due to be published in the coming weeks, detailing the exact route of the road, which will lie within the selected Green route.

Speaking following a meeting between local Councillors and NRA Engineers in relation to the Thurles By-Pass Project, Mayor of North Tipperary Michéal Lowry has welcomed confirmation that after a protracted time period, fraught with delays, the Thurles By-Pass route has now been finalised. Councillor Lowry stated that today is a bittersweet day for the people of Thurles and the surrounding areas in that “we finally have a definitive route however it seems that on foot of a decent ministerial decision the project may not be able to move forward”.

Mayor Lowry stated that
    “During the lifetime of the last Government, with the assistance and perseverance of Deputy Lowry, this project was placed on to the NRA priority list within the Mid-West area. Almost €1 million of funding was secured to complete phase one and phase two of the project, resulting in today’s announcement”.

“In light of the possible funding difficulties I am calling on two sitting Government Deputies, one of whom is a Junior Minister in the very department with responsibility for this project, to stand up for the people of Thurles and find the funding to progress the by-pass to the next stage. It is estimated that €600,000 would allow the design team to complete the planning process, with a further €4-5 million then required for the purchasing of lands”.

Mayor Lowry stressed that following the extensive route modeling and micro-simulation testing carried out as part of the feasibility into the project the NRA have confirmed that the proposed by-pass is an essential infrastructure for the future growth of Thurles Town.

“Since the election of the new government we have seen nothing but bad news and disappointment for the people of Thurles. Our local government deputies have allowed the Tipperary Venue project to fall at the final hurdle, followed closely by the closure of 22 beds in our community hospital. They are now telling us that there is no funding to progress a by-pass project that is crucial to our town. The Government Deputies must represent all of their constituency and prove their loyalty to the people of Thurles. The time has come to honour the commitments made during the general election campaign”.

Mayor Lowry concluded by saying that it was his opinion that if funding is not provided to advance the Thurles by-pass it will prove to be a missed opportunity to protect the viability of the town of Thurles.

The bypass is an absolute necessity for Thurles and the surrounding area, but unfortunately for the locals it's not a national priority.

Also, there's a touch of the first Mitchelstown bypass about the routing, which is well wide of the town.

Good to see the route finally decided. It is definitely well wide of the town – unnecessarily so in my opinion, but as long as it eventually get built it will do the job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
Advertisement