Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terra Nova (TV Show)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So, the Slasher is the bastard offspring of Gigantoraptor and a dromaeosaur. I guess I can get behind that.
    No idea why he noisily announces his arrival from 400 yards away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    So, the Slasher is the bastard offspring of Gigantoraptor and a dromaeosaur. I guess I can get behind that.

Maybe it's screaming in alarm. Humans must look horrible to dinosaurs o-o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Very underwhelming, especially the first hour.

Will give it a try again next Monday night to see if it improves. At least House is back this Thursday.:D

Blame Jack Horner, I know I am. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Just watched it and I am afraid I wasn't all that impressed to be honest.

Could keep the kids quiet for an hour. (If I had any :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Allosaur

I could never be accused of being a herd animal, but for once I'll follow along.

Muck and more muck.

Sure it was good stuff for fiction, but the "Slashers?"....
    I find it extreemly rich that Mr. Horner who is knocking over species left and right should go and invent a new one. (Speilberg? stay out of this.)
    So Utah Raptor wasn't badass enough? He had two Tyrannosaurs to choose from within 10% or so of the shows timeline.

You forgot to include a Stegasaur (thagomizers on the tail)

Allosaur wrote: »
    You forgot to include a Stegasaur (thagomizers on the tail)

Stegs lived in the Jurassic, the show is set 85 MYA which I think was the Triassic. As usual I will admit to being wrong if I am.

Minor point and not really worth mentioning I suppose.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Stegs lived in the Jurassic, the show is set 85 MYA which I think was the Triassic. As usual I will admit to being wrong if I am.

Crossed wires: I was referring to the bastard child of.. comment. ANd you'ld have to include the spiky tailed dinos.

85MYA was mid Cretaceous. Pre T.Rex, but just after Das and Gorgo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Very much reminder me of Julian May's Many coloured land saga. Except instead of Pliocene era mammals, Dinosaurs.

• Advertisement

Crossed wires: I was referring to the bastard child of.. comment. ANd you'ld have to include the spiky tailed dinos.

85MYA was mid Cretaceous. Pre T.Rex, but just after Das and Gorgo.

DOH! Thats what I meant,:o I'll get me coat. I'll be getting Monday mixed up with Wednesday next.:rolleyes:

I don't think that what we know to be fact comes into play for the series though. It is set in an alternative past 85 million years ago, and not 85 million years in the past of the timeline the people in the series are from. So on that basis if they want to chop and change a few dinos in terms of timeline to make for better episodes, then I'm all for it.

Tonight's episode was an improvement what was shown last week, but still not that great but is enough to get me back again next week :D. Had a right giggle during the main Pterosaur attack on the camp. One of the extras being attacked sold the blow before the Pterosaur even got to him, was like watching a wrestler selling a move poorly.:D

Watched the start of last night's episode. Bored the crap outta me.

Why do dinosaurs attack and kill people, but then not bother to eat them? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

If I was a dinosaur and lived in a pristine paradise-like world, and suddenly a bunch of noisy humans with guns came along and started clearing the land and building ugly buildings in my nesting grounds and scaring my prey away and what not, I would likely try to exterminate them too. Like a cockroach infestation, you know.

Because the attackers were not attacking in order to eat and were instead attacking as the humans were in their breeding territory.

Plus as the attackers were far far smaller than the people attacked , it was an attack that was effective through great numbers rather than any size or power. Which is why none of the bodies were torn apart and instead were covered in deep scratch marks along with their eyes gouged out.

Probably should have watched the rest of it so.

Watched the Life of Brian instead so maybe not! :pac:

Probably should have watched the rest of it so.

Watched the Life of Brian instead so maybe not! :pac:

Life of Brian is fun, but if there's something with pterosaurs attacking humans at the same time I would be unable to watch anything else :D

Don´t judge Terra Nova too harshly... I wasn´t too sure about it at the begining but it's good fun. Nowhere near JP, of course, but fun nonetheless. I liked that the creatures were
    attacking in defense of their nesting grounds
    ... makes it clear that they are animals and not just blood thirsty monsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Majorly disappointing. No great desire to watch it again. I just don't care what happens the oh-so-predictable stock characters and the oh-so-predictable plot. It's just set somewhere exotic, and given an alternative time-line so that they don't have to explain any changes or lack of them to our timeline. Yawn. Outcasts was better even there weren't (heresy) any dinosaurs in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

The writers had so much to work with on this one. First of all they were 140 years in the future. And then backinto prehistoric times. And yet they still manage to make it predicatable.

I mean episode 4 was absolutly rubbish. The best they could come up with was
    a virus that makes you forget who you are? I mean where did the 4 million for that episode go? On rubbish acting? Doubt it . On the tiny room they were in for 45 min? Doubt it. On the 2 dinosaurs i saw for about 20 seconds, one which manages to climb on the roof??? Doubt it
    I mean who a load of rubbish!

I was wary after the first 3 eipsodes but now im so disappointed. Just guess im going to be waiting for the walking dead to restart on the 18th and Game of thrones next spring!

The writers had so much to work with on this one. First of all they were 140 years in the future. And then backinto prehistoric times. And yet they still manage to make it predicatable.

I mean episode 4 was absolutly rubbish. The best they could come up with was
    a virus that makes you forget who you are? I mean where did the 4 million for that episode go? On rubbish acting? Doubt it . On the tiny room they were in for 45 min? Doubt it. On the 2 dinosaurs i saw for about 20 seconds, one which manages to climb on the roof??? Doubt it
    I mean who a load of rubbish!

I was wary after the first 3 eipsodes but now im so disappointed. Just guess im going to be waiting for the walking dead to restart on the 18th and Game of thrones next spring!

Would echo what you have just said. Last night's episode was very dull, with awful acting.

Amazing how a tv show that can have futuristic tech in prehistoric times could be so damn boring.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would echo what you have just said. Last night's episode was very dull, with awful acting.

Amazing how a tv show that can have futuristic tech in prehistoric times could be so damn boring.
    Its an art.

But lets give it till the middle of the first season before bringing the axe down. It's still in the charactor establishment phase.

Its an art.

But lets give it till the middle of the first season before bringing the axe down. It's still in the charactor establishment phase.

Oh I will tune in next Monday in the hope it gets better, and probably the Monday after that and the one after that again.:D It is all in the hope I get some cool dino moments. :)

Still a serious lack of dinos in the show. Episode four almost managed to have no dinos at all, with less than five seconds of dino time. :mad:

Could almost get over that if the acting was not so damn wooden by a large number of the cast.

I think I have seen more dino time whilst watching House than I have watching a series that is meant to set in the late Cretaceous.:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I haven't watched this at all yet, you guys are kind of putting me off it :D

Give me the SciFi Channel's campy Lost World series any day.

post-xena-programming.1408199.40.jpg&sa=X&ei=wZqqTu_2Ho2YhQexkYnaDw&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGCxBPbmo8VNj3eHRzQFELEOB6vvg

It has dinosaurs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yes, there was so much they could have done and still they went for the stock characters (moody teenager, cop dad, doctor mother, cute daughter) and same ol' storylines. Would have loved to see a lot more about HOW they set up the society to survive, how they cope with dinosaurs in the vegetable patch etc etc. I suspect there are a few middle-aged male writers who are having military envy! (ie the Leader, v fit and strong middle aged man, who can bring down the youths physically). We've got bars and gambling dens, extra-marital affairs, but no society. And just what were the runes they found in episode 1 or 2??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Slightly disappointed. In that the last few episodes did seem to start to gel and there are few enough SciFi shows out there as is.

Advertisement