Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How strict are customs?

• 23-09-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi all, iam new to this airsoft melarkey, so forgive me if i sound abit thick. The other day i went to a well known airsoft site(Redwolfairsoft.com) and bought a couple of things off them(WE Scar-L GBB open bolt and a WE HI CAPPA 501 ( Version 3 ) pistol). Then the next day i got an email from Redwoft saying that they had to cancelled my order cos the Scar was too powerful for the Irish market. Think it was nice of them to tell a novice like me rather than take my money and forget about me. So now i've found a few rifles iam interested and some of them are about fps 320-335. I know by law the fsp 328 or 1,Joule is the maximum allowed. So just say my next gun has a fps 330, will I have problem with custom? or does it have to be exactly 328fps. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

There will be no exceptions, it being the law and all, and customs being quite partial to said law :)

Though of course you might get a lenient customs agent, but I've no evidence to show they exist :pac:

Having said that, do they chrono every AEG that comes in? I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Irish customs STERN.......STERN but FAIR :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Knowing my luck i probably get ( nothing get pass me ) custom person.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Would they actually take the gun out and test it?,Surely not , that's too much work for them. Thought they like big bust like finding a trillion illegal cigs or other big headlines making bust.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rob180 wrote: »
    Would they actually take the gun out and test it?,Surely not , that's too much work for them. Thought they like big bust like finding a trillion illegal cigs or other big headlines making bust.:D

They dont(at least they used not) test them. They open the package, see its airsoft, put it back in, stick a label on it, and ship it to the Phoenix Park, where an Garda Siochana test it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭tonymccann

They dont(at least they used not) test them. They open the package, see its airsoft, put it back in, stick a label on it, and ship it to the Phoenix Park, where an Garda Siochana test it.

and if its over you get charged with importing firearms red wolf did u a huge favour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi all, iam new to this airsoft melarkey, so forgive me if i sound abit thick. The other day i went to a well known airsoft site(Redwolfairsoft.com) and bought a couple of things off them(WE Scar-L GBB open bolt and a WE HI CAPPA 501 ( Version 3 ) pistol). Then the next day i got an email from Redwoft saying that they had to cancelled my order cos the Scar was too powerful for the Irish market. Think it was nice of them to tell a novice like me rather than take my money and forget about me. So now i've found a few rifles iam interested and some of them are about fps 320-335. I know by law the fsp 328 or 1,Joule is the maximum allowed. So just say my next gun has a fps 330, will I have problem with custom? or does it have to be exactly 328fps. Thanks

I am new to Airsoft myself, and maybe it is because I would be considered a more "mature" (read older) Airsofter, but there is no way I would be trying to circumvent the Irish law which Governs Airsoft to bring something into the country which would be illegal and considered a Firearm, requiring a licence. Also you would not be allowed on a site with a device which is over the 1 joule limit, so what is the point.

I understand that the sport of Airsoft is relatively new in Ireland, and IMO the laws governing the sport are good. We can use realistic looking devices, no plastic only RIFs, no red tips, no clear (see through) devices.

If we want to avoid these restrcitions being brought in, then IMO what is required is that people coming new to the sport as well as the veterans abide by the existing rules and not try to import items considered illegal in this country, which may cause the authorities to tighten up the laws.

I believe that there is an Irish retailer who has an affiliation with Redwolf, who may be able to get the devices you require. They would have them downgraded prior to importation, and you would receive a legal Airsoft device.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

tonymccann wrote: »
    and if its over you get charged with importing firearms red wolf did u a huge favour

not likely.
    theres no need for trying to scare people needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

I brought one in about 1yr 1/2 ago. It was 340fps. Opened by customs and nothing was said.

I did however have to get it reduced as I was not allowed use it.
    You should check the site you are buying from, some of them have a service where you can get the spring reduced to 1 joule. I got mine from UNCompany and they had that service for $10 usd. They also had the option where you could get the value of the gun reduced on the invoice so you wouldn't have to pay so much excise/vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Alan b. wrote: »
    not likely.

No, but if you did get it and then for some reason the gardai took it off you for testing, you could be charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm. While sounding draconian, this has happened in the past. Granted, the guy charged in that case had other issues with the gardai, so it may have been a case of hitting him with a charge that would stick.
    Just remember, a criminal charge against you is a very serious thing (particularly if you were ever to consider emigrating in the future)
    If customs stop it and it's tested and found hot, the chances are it will be destroyed and you won't get any refund from the supplier. In my experience that is what has happened in the past which is not to say how it is handled now nor will be handled in the future.

• Advertisement

BioHazRd wrote: »
    No, but if you did get it and then for some reason the gardai took it off you for testing, you could be charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm. While sounding draconian, this has happened in the past. Granted, the guy charged in that case had other issues with the gardai, so it may have been a case of hitting him with a charge that would stick.
    Just remember, a criminal charge against you is a very serious thing (particularly if you were ever to consider emigrating in the future)
    If customs stop it and it's tested and found hot, the chances are it will be destroyed and you won't get any refund from the supplier. In my experience that is what has happened in the past which is not to say how it is handled now nor will be handled in the future.

sorry, i think you mis understood my intention with that comment,
    it can and will happen that you will be charged as you say, with possession without a licence if caught with one over the limit,
    and if one comes in over, it will be destroyed with no refund for the buyer,

but you wont be charged with importing as was sugested by tony.

it's not clever, its not legal, so dont waste your time/money trying, but at the same time, dont make a bigger deal out of things then needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

my advice is just dont bother trying to import them. you should contact one of the well established retailers and ask them to get you the guns you are after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

not likely.

He's not though that's the thing, I've heard of two cases where people were charged because the AEG's that they tried to import were a little bit warm...
    I'd rather be scared than lose a few hundred quid and get a big red mark on my name...

Leftyflip wrote: »
    He's not though that's the thing, I've heard of two cases where people were charged because the AEG's that they tried to import were a little bit warm...
    I'd rather be scared than lose a few hundred quid and get a big red mark on my name...

dont believe that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

dont believe that for a second.

Up to you man, I'm not gonna force you to believe anything.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Up to you man, I'm not gonna force you to believe anything.

i know, and i appritiate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭King John The Last

If redwolf say that a GBB is shooting around 330 on green gas it should be grand. Gas guns shoot weaker here because its colder here. This dosent work with AEGs. Tell me if this is threadjacking but could some tell me whats the story with importing something that shoots over the limit on green gas but shoots under on h134a?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

I've been importing airsoft guns now for past year, imported 4 in last 6 months with no problems whatsoever. What I do do though is state to retailer ( redwolf, ehobby, panda or whoever ) is to make sure that AEG is downgraded, usually 2-3 emails stating our legal limit and if found to be firing above this then it will be destroyed. By doing this I've never had a problem, or any of my team for that matter, in importing AEG's. Once you have proof that you have made it extremely clear to the supplier about our laws and that AEG MUST be downgraded, and pay for downgrade, then your pretty much covered from prosecution and if it is destroyed then you also have a very credible case when opening a paypal dispute to retrieve your money.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about importing, follow those steps and your pretty safe, from accessories to AEG's, I shop abroad pretty much all of the time and bar being caught for tax once in a while, I've never had problem ( touch wood ):D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Mozez

Customs where okay with my mate he buys all his airsoft stuff overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I hate Irish customs. Specifically not Gardai but the tax office. They stopped my Laser, vest and pistol lanyard. They wont proceed delivery until I pay 21% VAT. So that's 21% of 25 euro. WOw that will make Irish government economy grow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

we choice to buy outside of the eu, paying vat when it is imported is just part of that , although if the total cost of the parcel is just 25 euros that should be under the thresh hold for vat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

arleitiss wrote: »
    I hate Irish customs. Specifically not Gardai but the tax office. They stopped my Laser, vest and pistol lanyard. They wont proceed delivery until I pay 21% VAT. So that's 21% of 25 euro. WOw that will make Irish government economy grow.

With the state our economy is in, we need that fiver. :P

Besides, once you consider you're not the only poor sap being stung for a fiver, it starts to add up fairly sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TJ205

I know of one gun that came through customs a month or two ago that shot at 510-520 fps but my mate still got it without any questions or troubles. But I'd say that is more luck than anything else, also before someone asks why he didn't know the fps of the gun when he ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

where did he say he got this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TJ205

Somewhere in the US I forget the name of the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

But he got it downgraded straight away, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

TJ205 wrote: »
    I know of one gun that came through customs a month or two ago that shot at 510-520 fps but my mate still got it without any questions or troubles. But I'd say that is more luck than anything else, also before someone asks why he didn't know the fps of the gun when he ordered.

Fact is customs just aren't strict when it comes to airsoft, not anymore anyway. I have 2 customs officers that drink in pub I work in plus an old mate that works in TNT and they all have told me this, with the black market booming now they are more concerned with drugs, cigs and whatever else is popular on black market. Last GBB I had delivered was held for 3 days before it got processed, when I rang asking had it been sent for ballistics testing fella told me " no, that never happens, just waiting on customs to release it ".

In saying that though, I still make sure to have ALL AEG's downgraded before entering the country, just not worth the risk.

Advertisement