Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to watch the Wales game... aviva?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm almost certain I read that Kiely's will be showing the game sans alcohol.

Should be a few early houses open I'd imagine, maybe the dark horse inn?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GerM wrote: »
    So it's better to have games early afternoon in NZ which would mean they're on at midnight or later here? .

The Argentina game being on at 1am on Saturday was great. Theres never anythign on at that time. Reminded me of comign across an England football game at a similar hour a few years back (against Japan I think). IT's brilliant to have live sport on at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm almost certain I read that Kiely's will be showing the game sans alcohol.

Should be a few early houses open I'd imagine, maybe the dark horse inn?

No pubs are going to be able to open for the start of the match and serve alcohol at 6am due to our licensing laws.

Only designated early houses (which are few and far between) can serve alcohol early in the morning and they cannot do so until 7am.

Slatterys on Capel Street will be open from 05:30 for the match but I assume won't be serving drink until 07:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Nobody in aus or NZ would be that put out.

If I'd travelled halfway around the world to be there to enjoy the party, and was told that the party kicks off at 11am, I'd be bitterly put out.

The spoiled child attitude of people in various threads looking for games to kick off when it suits those living in GMT is ridiculous. The NZ people and those who travelled there are entitled to have the kickoffs at times which best suits them getting the maximum enjoyment from it and creating the best possible atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

The handful of people who travelled there?
    A 12pm game would make every body happy. 6am over here is about a bad a the as possible us and wales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A 12pm game would make every body happy.

A noon in NZ kick off would have pissed off just about everyone in NZ and Australia - with the amount of countries queueing up to host they'll be lucky to get this tournament once every 16 years going forward so for gods sake let them have the games at a time which fits in with their social and sporting traditions.

Irish people need to realise that the world can't revolve around them and their desire to have a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

A noon in NZ kick off would have pissed off just about everyone in NZ and Australia - with the amount of countries queueing up to host they'll be lucky to get this tournament once every 16 years going forward so for gods sake let them have the games at a time which fits in with their social and sporting traditions.

Irish people need to realise that the world can't revolve around them and their desire to have a few beers.

i don't see the problem with a 1pm kick off. they are at the weekend so no one is working. a lot of the biggest soccer game kick off at midday in england without any problems. why would rugby be any different.
    Also its not just ireland, wales fans have been complaining as well, havign games at 4:30am and 6am twice is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

omega666 wrote: »
    i don't see the problem with a 1pm kick off. they are at the weekend so no one is working. a lot of the biggest soccer game kick off at midday in england without any problems. why would rugby be any different.
    Also its not just ireland, wales fans have been complaining as well, havign games at 4:30am and 6am twice is crazy.

The bigger soccer games that kick off in England at midday is generally due to cooperation with the police so as to avoid large groups of fans drinking throughout the day.

As for it being the weekend so nobody is working, what world do you live in? I know loads of people who work Saturdays as I'm sure most of us do. The early morning kick offs allow as many people as possible to watch the games. Wanting the matches on at a time to best suit a group of people but ensure many others can't watch it is ridiculous.

The Argentina game being on at 1am on Saturday was great. Theres never anythign on at that time. Reminded me of comign across an England football game at a similar hour a few years back (against Japan I think). IT's brilliant to have live sport on at that time.

It was about 9pm in Argentina when that game was played so I wouldn't have any issue with that. 1am kick offs generally though suit very few people in this part of the world. There's shag all people that are going to watch a rugby game until 3am in the morning. They would get a much bigger audience with an early morning kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

The bigger soccer games that kick off in England at midday is generally due to cooperation with the police so as to avoid large groups of fans drinking throughout the day.

As for it being the weekend so nobody is working, what world do you live in? I know loads of people who work Saturdays as I'm sure most of us do. The early morning kick offs allow as many people as possible to watch the games. Wanting the matches on at a time to best suit a group of people but ensure many others can't watch it is ridiculous.

well of course a small number of people work weekends but obviously the working week for the vast majority is mon - fri.
    I guarantee less people will get up at 5:30am than stay up till 1am to watch a match. 5:30am is not early morning, it’s the middle of the night!
    Take for example pay per view boxing which gets huge TV audiences at 12/1am here for the big fights.

• Advertisement

omega666 wrote: »
    well of course a small number of people work weekends but obviously the working week for the vast majority is mon - fri.
    I guarantee less people will get up at 5:30am than stay up till 1am to watch a match. 5:30am is not early morning, it’s the middle of the night!
    Take for example pay per view boxing which gets huge TV audiences at 12/1am here for the big fights.

PPV boxing attracts a big audience amongst a narrow demographic. Only adult males will really watch it. The game starts at 6am, I don't think that's middle of the night for many people at all. If the game is on at 1am you instantly eradicate a couple hundred thousand children from the audience so I'd be surprised if any game at that time had a bigger audience. Even if you look on here, the France/Tonga (6am) match had an in game thread for about 4 pages. The Argentina/Georgia (1am) game had maybe a post or two dotted around.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

PPV boxing attracts a big audience amongst a narrow demographic. Only adult males will really watch it. The game starts at 6am, I don't think that's middle of the night for many people at all. If the game is on at 1am you instantly eradicate a couple hundred thousand children from the audience so I'd be surprised if any game at that time had a bigger audience. Even if you look on here, the France/Tonga (6am) match had an in game thread for about 4 pages. The Argentina/Georgia (1am) game had maybe a post or two dotted around.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

Can't think of a reason for that....

Anyway, my solution is to have the match on @ midnight in New Zealand (like they do for matches in Spain sometimes). Would be a cracking athmosphere over there and absolutely everybody would get to watch it over here too!

Have work on a Saturday? Tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

What lazy bastard said 6am was the middle of the night? If you work and have kids you will up be up around that time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Rosie o'Gradys in Terenure/Harolds Cross have signs up saying they'll be opening for the match and serving breakfast.

As far as I know, no where will be serving booze as its too early even for the early houses (who start serving at 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

SSK wrote: »
    Rosie o'Gradys in Terenure/Harolds Cross have signs up saying they'll be opening for the match and serving breakfast.

As far as I know, no where will be serving booze as its too early even for the early houses (who start serving at 7)

It just goes to show the kind of Nanny state we live in.

We can go down to aldi the night before, buy umpteen bottles of plonk and several cases of cheap german beer for €20 and drink ourselves into an absolute stewper but cannot get a pint in a licensed premises until the Nanny's say we can.

A Stewper at home it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

leggit wrote: »
    Can't think of a reason for that....

Anyway, my solution is to have the match on @ midnight in New Zealand (like they do for matches in Spain sometimes). Would be a cracking athmosphere over there and absolutely everybody would get to watch it over here too!

Have work on a Saturday? Tough

Great solution. Really practical. No fear of public order or safety issues playing at that time, not to mention public transport costs & issues, let alone what the local residents might think about having 40,000 drunk supporters leaving a stadium at 2.30am. Just to suit an audience tens of thousands of miles away. And just because we take them into account when the RWC is in northern hem...oh.

It's stupor, by the way, though stewper is quite onomatopoeic, I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

whycliff wrote: »
    It just goes to show the kind of Nanny state we live in.

We can go down to aldi the night before, buy umpteen bottles of plonk and several cases of cheap german beer for €20 and drink ourselves into an absolute stewper but cannot get a pint in a licensed premises until the Nanny's say we can.

A Stewper at home it is then.

Aye, I think this is my plan too, plenty of invites from friends back in wales to meet in pubs at 05:00 for pints but I think I'll stay here and enjoy the win (Please win)....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Great solution. Really practical. No fear of public order or safety issues playing at that time, not to mention public transport costs & issues, let alone what the local residents might think about having 40,000 drunk supporters leaving a stadium at 2.30am. Just to suit an audience tens of thousands of miles away. And just because we take them into account when the RWC is in northern hem...oh.

Barcelona do it a few times a year :rolleyes:
    A midday kick off in NZ would be the best solution. It hardly puts the fans in Wellington out, Premiership matches kick off at 12 all the time, pretty sure 6 nations has 1pm kick offs too. More people would watch a game at midnight than at 6am, its two NH teams remember.

snotboogie wrote: »
    Barcelona do it a few times a year :rolleyes:
    A midday kick off in NZ would be the best solution. It hardly puts the fans in Wellington out, Premiership matches kick off at 12 all the time, pretty sure 6 nations has 1pm kick offs too. More people would watch a game at midnight than at 6am, its two NH teams remember.

Spain is a completely different culture where people generally don't go out until 11pm for their evening meal. The whole city is only starting up at that time and doesn't become quiet until about 6am. It's not comparable at all to having a game at midnight in NZ which is much more similar to ourselves.

More people wouldn't watch the game at midnight. You would. I would. People like us would. Children wouldn't. Most people with work wouldn't. A lot of parents of children wouldn't. Midday kick offs in the Premier League are due to security issues and cooperating with the police.

The current scenario is by far the most palatable to greatest number of people. A small minority of people want games at midnight to suit themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Spot On GerM.

Another couple of salient points, though I doubt you need further persuading.
    snotboogie wrote: »

A midday kickoff for the first game would mean a 3am kickoff in NH for the second game, not exactly a runner so quarter final balance. Also, the fact that it happens to be two NH teams is completely irrelevant, the times of these matches are decided well before it is known who will be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Spain is a completely different culture where people generally don't go out until 11pm for their evening meal. The whole city is only starting up at that time and doesn't become quiet until about 6am. It's not comparable at all to having a game at midnight in NZ which is much more similar to ourselves.

More people wouldn't watch the game at midnight. You would. I would. People like us would. Children wouldn't. Most people with work wouldn't. A lot of parents of children wouldn't. Midday kick offs in the Premier League are due to security issues and cooperating with the police.

The current scenario is by far the most palatable to greatest number of people. A small minority of people want games at midnight to suit themselves.

Well in fairness, the Soccer WC holds it's games at hours that suit the greater watching population as for example, in Korea (+9 h GMT I think) where the Ireland v Spain game was held at 12 midnight near Incheon.

Ah, fond memories of the Gecko Bar and poor R keane and co turining up at 6 am to find shutters just down!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Well in fairness, the Soccer WC holds it's games at hours that suit the greater watching population as for example, in Korea (+9 h GMT I think) where the Ireland v Spain game was held at 12 midnight in Incheon.

Ah, fond memories of the Gecko Bar and poor R keane and co turining up at 6 am to find shutters just down!

No it was not is was at 8.30pm local time.

WC games are played at times that suit the local audience, or in the case of the US the games would be on at a time to suit the EDT zone.

Games in WC 2002 were at 3pm, 5.30pm or 8.30pm local time.

Back on topic, anyone with kids will have no problem getting up at 6am.
    For a lot of people it's much easier to get up at 6am, watch something for 3 hours then gets a few hours sleep, than starting to watch something at 1am and try stay awake for 3 hours.
    Plus this thread shows just how much Irish people seem to be obsessed with the ability to get a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Anyone know if Flannery's in Limerick will be open?

because rugby is known for its hooliganism? Public transport costs would be paid for by the public (and probably at a premium too!)

I'd also assume all local residents would be watching it anyway, and I doubt all 40,000 will be drunk!!! although that would be quite funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

because rugby is known for its hooliganism? Public transport costs would be paid for by the public (and probably at a premium too!)

I'd also assume all local residents would be watching it anyway, and I doubt all 40,000 will be drunk!!! although that would be quite funny

Leggit
    Are you for real? You are joking surely? You want the host country who have spent millions erecting the stadia and all the infrastructure that goes with running the RWC to change the times of the matches, thereby losing revenue for the pubs and restaurants in NZ, to cater for a mickey mouse, bankrupt little country on the edge of europe 13k miles away. Some people have this overexaggerated opinion of how important Ireland is in the greater scheme of things. NEWSFLASH: We're Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rookster wrote: »
    Leggit
    Are you for real? You are joking surely? You want the host country who have spent millions erecting the stadia and all the infrastructure that goes with running the RWC to change the times of the matches, thereby losing revenue for the pubs and restaurants in NZ, to cater for a mickey mouse, bankrupt little country on the edge of europe 13k miles away. Some people have this overexaggerated opinion of how important Ireland is in the greater scheme of things. NEWSFLASH: We're Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare you!

how would they lose revenue, surely they'd be at the match between 5-8pm local time instead of being at the pubs/restaurants with the time it's at now? They'd probably take in more revenue if anything knowing both sets of supporters! They'd also be catering for not just one mickey mouse country, but TWO mickey mouse countries!

Obviously it's not feasible to do it off the cuff but it may have been a good idea to make contingency plans for the inevitability of two european teams playing each other. TV revenue for New Zealand would have also been much, much bigger if they made such a plan.

If it was here and New Zealand were playing Australia, I'd have no problem with the match being at midnight here? I'd be very excited actually!

If it was here and New Zealand were playing Australia, I'd have no problem with the match being at midnight here? I'd be very excited actually!

And it wouldn't happen for a multitude of reasons. Cost, safety, licensing, grounds of insanity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

True rugby supporters who actually care about the game will get up for the game on Saturday without complaint about it being too early and not being able to have a pint. Not everything revolves around drink or Ireland.
    I'd like to see the heads on us if we were hosting it and they put the games on at midnight or 2am just to suit the Aussies and Kiwis.
    Get a grip guys and get up and support your team, it's only 6am it's hardly middle of the night stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

*mod warning to please remain civil*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

LostGirly wrote: »
    True rugby supporters who actually care about the game will get up for the game on Saturday without complaint about it being too early and not being able to have a pint. Not everything revolves around drink or Ireland.
    I'd like to see the heads on us if we were hosting it and they put the games on at midnight or 2am just to suit the Aussies and Kiwis.
    Get a grip guys and get up and support your team, it's only 6am it's hardly middle of the night stuff.

that's the problem here

Irish rugby support in Oct 2011 is 10% fan, 90% bandwagon.

Advertisement