Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to Smallholding forum, Tell us a bit about yourself/Smallholding

• 03-10-2011 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

Great to see this place up and running :)

Not much time, so I'll be brief.

Our little patch is part of a larger farm, so space is not an issue, but we had 2 Kerry cows. One milking with 8 month old heifer calf at foot. And dry cow due to calf around new years. The calf is separated at night and in morning I hand-milk one side while calf suckles other side.

Pigs were slaughtered couple weeks ago, just brought them home to freezer :)

Have a number of hens of various breeds, free ranging and recently hatched out 27 chicks of various breeds.

Cows don't particularly like the hens :eek: and the hen roost is above the cows :eek:

Harvest time with vegetables and fruit. Great spud crop, probably thanks to a cow manure and other crops such as swedes and brassicas did well also

Finally wood is our fuel for cooking, and heating (water and space) in winter

Found some pics I have online. Must get others

2 cows and pony scratching for food.
    98959C109C8D4985A893F0F93EB01118-500.jpg

The calf escaped to garden
    E6B5DB99FEFB4B93A13705B4481BDDF2-0000317152-0002065508-00500L-B0643B91A30F495B805B97620B4FBDAD.jpg

Kiwis!
    C1DBE3A1F34D47E38627F65CD2726F91-0000317152-0002065532-00500L-83DC2A62D60842BCAB4C3C2B25E12078.jpg

Wood store
    4D976CF15CAC463686FEE86EE2C039AE-0000317152-0002068710-00500L-DDA74F307BF34A198A19C686E605B5D4.jpg

Hay Field
    68540CFE46B4426F98408643AE3A0E3C-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

We have about half an acre back garden in which to use. We have the lawn area fenced off and the rest we call ‘the field’. In the field, we have a fenced run either side. One for our 3 embden geese, and the other for our 6 hens and pair of bantams.

We have 5 ducks a mix of Campbells and runner w a fab - looking Saxony Runner drake. Ducks and geese stay in the filed but the hens have full run of the garden.
    A raised bed for some veg and an area down the end of the fieil where we have a fruit cage for about 6/7 different types fruit bushs. Also have apple. Pear, plum, juneberry and cherry trees.
    This year we built a glasshouse after our polytunnel kept collapsing in the high winds of winter. In this we have grapes, kiwi, salads, tomatoes, pumpkin, chillis and various house plants.
    Also have a half dozen fantail doves.
    When we arrived 5 yrs ago, all there was in the garden was half a dozen mature trees and lylandii hedging on the sides. I think the garden is a lot more interesting now!

a couple of piccys of my setup

176716.JPG

176717.JPG

[MOD]Set images to display in post[/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]Excellent idea for a thread, made Sticky.[/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hey Mothman - good to see you here!

So we are in a small cottage in Roundwood, Wicklow on one acre.

We have 3 hens, a dog, and grow a lot of our own veggies. This year we had spuds, peas, beans and turnips.

Had some borrowed sheep grazing our small field this year and intend to get into rearing our own soon.

Great to see this forum up and going...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Hi folks , I have a small cottage on two acres here in sligo, its high up and quite exposed am near a wind farm!. I have been completly renovating the cottage, it was derelict and had not been lived in since the early 80's. I moved into a very small caravan at the back of the house and started into it and am still at it five years later, presently am living in the extention I built onto the rear.

I have 4 hens and a cockrel who free range in the orchard and veggie garden (only five apples and two plums so far but I call it an orchard:D) I grow loads of blackcurrants and gooseberries and blueberries , I have been planting loads of trees around the boundries as a shelterbelt and for fire wood , at the front of the house is an ornamental garden with trees, shrubs and every thing else in between. there are two paddocks of about 1/2 of an acre each and plan to get a couple of sheep sometime and possibly a donkey if diesel prices bon't come down! This winter I plan to plant a small area below the garden to coppice for firewood.

I've been here for 5 years and to coin a phrase "a lot done more to do!":P

026.jpg
    View from top of the mountain
    172.jpg

144.jpg
    Veggie garden jan 10
    167.jpg
    Sorry that pics are too big , never done this before , oops

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Hey Mothman - good to see you here!

So we are in a small cottage in Roundwood, Wicklow on one acre.

We have 3 hens, a dog, and grow a lot of our own veggies. This year we had spuds, peas, beans and turnips.

Had some borrowed sheep grazing our small field this year and intend to get into rearing our own soon.

Great to see this forum up and going...

Hi Artictree, I saw on the farmining board you were looking at geting sheep. How did it work out? did u need to get fencing or was there some there. Any probs w escapees? u say they were borrowed. Did the owner look after drencing, health issues etc? I would love a few lambs to rear for freezer. Like you, Im up near Roundwood too so looking for someone with one or two fenced acres to rent. Its a great lifestyle looking after the flora and fauna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

blueberries

How'd they do for you MM? Got my first blueberry plants last month!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭arctictree

Ding Dong wrote: »
    Hi Artictree, I saw on the farmining board you were looking at geting sheep. How did it work out? did u need to get fencing or was there some there. Any probs w escapees? u say they were borrowed. Did the owner look after drencing, health issues etc? I would love a few lambs to rear for freezer. Like you, Im up near Roundwood too so looking for someone with one or two fenced acres to rent. Its a great lifestyle looking after the flora and fauna

Ah, just let the sheep in for a couple of months to keep the grass down. Was very hands off but want to try it myself soon. We had to refence one side of the field as the old fence was in bits. Yep, we love it up here, can be a bit mad in the winter though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Davenjulie

Hi all,
    Mountainyman, that is spooky:eek:, you could have been writing about us. Been at our 2 acre plot for 5 years now. Lived in a small caravan for the first 3 while we renovated our cottage which hadn't been lived in since the eighties. We have 10 hens and are looking to get goats next year for milk and cheese, and have our first 2 pigs in the freezer.

johngalway wrote: »
    How'd they do for you MM? Got my first blueberry plants last month!

I put in my first plant a couple of years ago and the next year had a good crop the year after was not as good so I think a bit of feeding is required, have no problems with the fertilisation of the flowers as there are loads of the wild bilberries around.

I put in three more last winter and the hares ate them to the ground although they have regrown and hopefully they will be fruiting next year, I have fenced off the orchard where they are to protect the hens during the day after a fox attack so I hope they will be safe now (both hens and fruit!).

The hares were attacking my apple trees also, the little buggers :( I find that the blueberries dont have as good a flavour as the billberries but are much easier to pick. oh also acid soil is essential too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I'm delighted to see this forum has gotten the nod of approval.

I look forward to reading all the posts and hope to pick up advice here and there for my 5 acres.

I have tried fruit trees, 14 planted 2 years ago all eaten by wild deer, wild goats and hares. ( next year I'll fence the area before I plant trees again.)

My little fruit bushes are doing ok without fencing , redcurrants, blackcurrants and gooseberries.

My rhubarb crowns didn't even try to grow, and my onions were eaten by slugs.

I have a mobile home on site but as of yet haven't got it in habitable condition.

Its a learning curve and I'm still at the bottom.

Fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

First of all, many thanks to whoever it was who approved the smallholding forum. :)

I have between half and three quarters of an acre - half is a paddock and half is the cottage's back garden. The back garden is divided in half - half is lawn and flowers/herbs and the other half is veggie garden with raised beds and a small polytunnel. This year I grew carrots, cauliflower, onions, and garlic. In the polytunnel, I grew cauliflowers, courgettes, and salad. I also have blackcurrants, gooseberries, summer and autumn raspberries. I also have two young apple trees. My garden is shaded on one side by tall, mature, trees, so I can't grow tomatoes. :(

I have four hens which free range in the paddock.

Next year I will be extending the herb garden, planting more fruit bushes, paving an area of the back garden, and trying potatoes somewhere.

:)

I put in my first plant a couple of years ago and the next year had a good crop the year after was not as good so I think a bit of feeding is required, have no problems with the fertilisation of the flowers as there are loads of the wild bilberries around.

I put in three more last winter and the hares ate them to the ground although they have regrown and hopefully they will be fruiting next year, I have fenced off the orchard where they are to protect the hens during the day after a fox attack so I hope they will be safe now (both hens and fruit!).

The hares were attacking my apple trees also, the little buggers :( I find that the blueberries dont have as good a flavour as the billberries but are much easier to pick. oh also acid soil is essential too.

Have a read of this below, it might help with the hares in future ;) (The bit about the paint).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056222994

No shortage of acid soil around me :pac: Though I still have them in the pots and they're not looking too clever at the minute :o

johngalway wrote: »
    Have a read of this below, it might help with the hares in future ;) (The bit about the paint).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056222994

No shortage of acid soil around me :pac: Though I still have them in the pots and they're not looking too clever at the minute :o

That is interesting, the little buggers also munch on witch hazel and rowans and a miriad of other things , couple of ounces of semtex in a pot of dulux should sort it :D , but seriously mught give it a go tis worth a try anyway.

so whats up with your ones in the pots? they will be turning colour and loosing their leaves about now .

That is interesting, the little buggers also munch on witch hazel and rowans and a miriad of other things , couple of ounces of semtex in a pot of dulux should sort it :D , but seriously mught give it a go tis worth a try anyway.

so whats up with your ones in the pots? they will be turning colour and loosing their leaves about now .

Not sure, possibly lack of water (or care :D), I'm going to take a couple of snaps tomorrow and post them up. Some of the upper stems aren't looking good nor some leaves either. I'd say they'll be ok once I get them out of the small pots and into the ground (fingers crossed anyway).

I think it's the smell of the paint that the hares don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I am on 3.5 acres in Longford. Land is fairly good and we have a small stream on it. We have hens and ducks and a kitchen garden and polytunnel. Hope to get Dexter cattle and pigs in the spring. Looking forward to seeing the forum develop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dm22

hi have two acres (and sheds)with half being a walled garden. just starting of but hoping to get 2 pigs and a dexter with calf at foot come april/may, grew a few bits of veg this year spuds, peas, toms and lettuce but hoping to expand this next year with the addition of a pollytunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Hi, me and my oh live on 5 acres in kerry, we've had a couple of meat heifers charolais I think, long gone now, then we had a couple of kerry cows with theirs calves, a few donkeys, we have 2 donkeys left, something happened (don't ask) and the cows had to go. I'm working away to pay for it . ;)

I'm in the process of doing up the annexe as a holiday let.

We've got an overgrown veg garden, and have loads of raspberries and currants.

I let a neighbour use the fields for his sheep and cattle to keep my bit of Ireland well looked after.

I enjoy watching what happens on the farming forum, hope this place goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eatmedrinkme

I'm on a smallholding in the Northwest, about 12.5 acres, of hilly, North facing, badly drained land, split into sizeable fields at present. It was mainly used as beef and horse pasture, and the pasture quality is good, but the walls are in wrack and ruin, and the fences are more in theory than in practice.

We've been in foir 18 months, and are still sorting out the house, and the vegetable garden. Hopefully, by next year, we'll have sheep and either a house cow, or pigs coming on, with the chickens in this winter, all going well.

We have badgers, deer, fox, pine marten (RIP our ducks) and rabbits roaming our land, and are currently in the planning stage for paddocks, native forestry, and a polytunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Hi
    I have about 10 acres in Louth, I've started a vegetable garden and have 3 apple trees. Also I've planted fruit bushes which have done really well and I make my own jam and this year made green tomato chutney, yummy. I've also made elderflower cordial and champagne, not very strong but very nice all the same !
    I keep hens and alpacas, I'm learning to spin so I can spin my alpaca fleeece and eventually have someone knit ( not my strong point) jumpers scarves, etc,. which I can sell. I would like to keep a couple of pigs for the freezer but have'nt got that far yet... lotta things I'd like to do in the future to be more self sufficient and I'm sure this forum will be a big help to people like me. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 adgsevans

Hello , we have a couple of acres and have tried a few different things . We had a few lambs who are now in the freezer . 2 pigs who should be in the freezer soon . Also some ducks , chickens and of course turkeys .
    Also have the polytunnel and vegetable patch , looking forward to next year .
    I would be very grateful for some advice on the curing of our pigs as i would hate to do it wrong , they are nice animals . I was trying to post some photos but i cant seemto
    Nice to meet you

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kellie1

Hi all
    This is great just what i was looking for:D. have just moved into our 4.5 acre small holding after 11 months of renovation! We currently have 3 horses and various breeds of hen, plus the usual 2 dogs and 3 cats!

We have various shed, a pig sty, 3 span hay shed and are currently building 3 stables in an existing shed. Most of the sheds are pretty poor, original mud and stone walls! Hoping to renovate these in time!!!

Managed to get 323 square bales of hay from our 'bottom' field which we felt very proud about. This is all new to us so it was quite a learning curve. I didn't sleep for quite a while worrying about when to cut the hay!!

Still trying to come up with a plan as we want to try to make a little money off the land if we can. Will definately be having pigs and seriously thinking about some sheep!! Any advice....:confused:

Can't wait to get the veg garden up and running have big plans for a polytunnel, fruit garden and orchard!!! Was laughing as the big saying here at the moment is that 'next spring we will......'! Think Spring is going to be pretty hectic.:p

Great to read all the threads, look forward to more posts in the future!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

Hi all
    We moved from the city out to the country a few years back to live the good life. We read a lot of these books on growing veg and it looked so easy and we looked forward to harvesting these lovely veg staight from the ground. we spent a fortune on raised beds and a large tunnel. We had lovely big spuds this year but some slugs got at them before we did ,our hens havent layed an egg in 6 weeks, we had plenty tomatoes peppers and chilles in the tunnel but they all rippened on the same day the 5 october . I go into the garden center and come out with a cure for everything and maybe 100 euro lighter on the pocket, but its all worth it at least i get a good farmers tan and the wife loves it, the tan that is

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

kerryted wrote: »

our hens havent layed an egg in 6 weeks

most hens stop laying in winter, except young hybrid birds

A

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

hi all,

new here and see many interesting topics on this site.

I bought in Wexford a 14 acre small holding 14 years ago and was inspired by Seymours book to try something different - showed my wife photocopied page on how to kill your hen after a day in the office and she thought I was mad when I said I want to do that.
    Well I still am!

we have slowed down now, only have cats,hens and bees but will be hopefully getting cattle again soon.

we have had in the past - goats, cattle, pigs, ducks, geese,turkeys and various shortterm visitors. over the years i have had wwoofers stay to work in our veg patch orchard, softfruit area and tunnel.also i am restoring the original farmhouse with limemortar.

it is a great way to waste i mean spend your hardearned cash, i know we will never be self-sufficient but as my wife said on xmas morning going to dig the spuds - "everything else on the plate is home reared or produced i'm not using your ####in aldi spuds", which i had bought for 15cents.

look forward to looking in how other people are coping with the daily challenges and rewards from what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

we live on 2 acres outside kilkenny. house, garden and sheds take up one acre. we have successfully grown some veg, raspberries and blackcurrants. we have a couple of apple trees with nothing growing on them yet and some great heavy fruiting plum and pear trees. 3 hybrid chickens (got a little solar light for inside their coop to make them lay through the winter-some success there). Would love to get goats and pigs but herself is dead set against killing the pigs so kinda defeats the purpose really....
    a polytunnel would be great too when finances allow.
    great to see this forum. hopefully we can all benefit from it.
    joined my local giy (grow it yourself). could be helpful I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Matt Care

Hi

55 year old bloke recently moved to near Ballaghaderreen in Co. Roscommon and bought an old 2 storey farmhouse in 2.5 acres. We (wife, builder and myself) have now restored the house to live-able condition and we are looking to use the land to create allotment, fruit orchard, some chooks and maybe a goat or 3. Not done goats before so we are off on a Goat Training course at a holding near Boyle, Saturday week.

Cheers, everyone
    Matt

Matt Care wrote: »
    Hi

55 year old bloke recently moved to near Ballaghaderreen in Co. Roscommon and bought an old 2 storey farmhouse in 2.5 acres. We (wife, builder and myself) have now restored the house to live-able condition and we are looking to use the land to create allotment, fruit orchard, some chooks and maybe a goat or 3. Not done goats before so we are off on a Goat Training course at a holding near Boyle, Saturday week.

Cheers, everyone
    Matt

Hi Matt, welcome, Great plans for the land, do you have a link for the goat course, I would be interested in attending. thanks and good luck.

This link may work, but I know that our date (Sat week) ended up oversubscribed so the people had to introduce a second date, which is 27th May. We found it via DoneDeal.ie typing in "goats Roscommon" and it was second page down in the queue.

af16a6af-b2c9-4ca2-9632-785fcf638212@safemail.donedeal.ie

Good hunting.
    Matt

• Advertisement

Sorry - forgot to mention, holding where goat course happening is called "Harmony Farm" so you could probably google that too

af16a6af-b2c9-4ca2-9632-785fcf638212@safemail.donedeal.ie

Matt

Advertisement