Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP IM BEING BULLIED BY EIRCOM

• 31-08-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 lamongoose

My contract was up last month.
    I was told I had to send a letter and wait 30 days before my account was cancelled (no mention of an email service). I sent a letter to cancel my account on the 5th of August but when I called up customer service yesterday they told me it was never received. I was told I will have to wait another 30 days for my account to be canceled and pay the fee's for the 60 days in which I have not used the service even though I am no longer living at that address. The cancelation process is a joke. I had signed a 12 month contract which was up last month yet it is taking 2 months and charges over €100 to cancel the account? Ridiculous. Is there anything I can do to protect myself?

Thanks in advance,
    lamongoose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

If the contract is up, it's up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Go to your bank and tell them to cancel the direct debit entirely then get them to return the last amount as you werer not an eircom customer at the time. Ignore Eircom after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lamongoose

I never had any intention in paying them for the 60 days but I just want to avoid any legal action in the future. If I am out of contract does it mean they cannot pursue?

thanks for the replies,
    lamongoose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

If it's a 12 month contract and the 12 months are up there is nothing left to cancel. And you are right you are being bullied fcuk them

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Once a contract expires, you may have been moved to rolling monthly contract. This would be outlined in your original contract.

In such a case you would still need to satisfy any cancellation period.

Cancellation letters should be sent by registered post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

12 month is merely a minimum term, and once you reach that point you can cancel at any time. The contract is still in effect, it does not end. You are still bound by it's terms and conditions, one of which will be to give 30 days written notice of cancellation. If you can't prove you cancelled it (by sending a registered letter), then you've effectively not cancelled it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

jor el wrote: »
    12 month is merely a minimum term, and once you reach that point you can cancel at any time. The contract is still in effect, it does not end. You are still bound by it's terms and conditions, one of which will be to give 30 days written notice of cancellation. If you can't prove you cancelled it (by sending a registered letter), then you've effectively not cancelled it at all.

I stand corrected, the op is still being bullied by Eircom

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

can you not just email them? cancelling things by post is archaic in this day and age

I sent them an email yesterday to cancel. They said nothing about being able to cancel by email the first time I was on to them. They said "you have to ask for email cancelation", and thats why I wasn't told about it the first time.. Im going to root out my contract and see what it says. I'll get back soon thanks for the replies:).

lamongoose

The terms and conditions in the contract only refer you to http://www.eircom.ie/termsandconditions. After reading through any relevant documents I cannot find anything about being bound to contract after my 12 month contract was up.

lamongoose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lamongoose wrote: »
    The terms and conditions in the contract only refer you to http://www.eircom.ie/termsandconditions. After reading through any relevant documents I cannot find anything about being bound to contract after my 12 month contract was up.

lamongoose

you're not bound to contract but you hardly think your service just gets shut off after your 12 months is up? what if people wanted to use it beyond the initial 12 months? you'd get a lot of pissed off people wanting to know why their phone doesnt work anymore.

your 12 month contract is a minimum term you've agreed to use the service, once its up you're free to continue or use it on a month to month basis, think of it like a lease, you rent a house for a year, your landlord doesnt arrive on the doorstep once the year is up and kick you out does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dudara wrote: »

Cancellation letters should be sent by registered post.

Why? Other than it is a form of proof, but equally Eircom cannot prove that they didn't receive the letter. If the op had sent an email to eircom at the same time as a letter then that could be used as proof that confirmation of a cancellation request had been sent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If it's a 12 month contract and the 12 months are up there is nothing left to cancel. And you are right you are being bullied fcuk them

Incorrect,
    Its a 12 month minimum commitment period that the OP was in, when this ended he would have went on to a 30 day rolling period. This is perfectly normal in the telecoms industry and works perfectly for just about everyone.

Whilst he could certainly argue the second 30 days regarding payment he would be liable for the first 30 days as this is the cancelation period outline in the T&C's.

The OP isn't being bullied by eircom, the OP is merely being advised what eircom can see....that in this instance is that they have no record of cancellation from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

why not post in here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

and ye know get eircom to sort it for you

Shin

Why? Other than it is a form of proof, but equally Eircom cannot prove that they didn't receive the letter. If the op had sent an email to eircom at the same time as a letter then that could be used as proof that confirmation of a cancellation request had been sent.

Registered post acts as a form of proof. Likewise, if I was to send an email, I would attached a Read Receipt Request to the email so that I could ensure it had been delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Registered post acts as a form of proof. Likewise, if I was to send an email, I would attached a Read Receipt Request to the email so that I could ensure it had been delivered.
    Was there a judgement last year that proof of ordinary posting was sufficient proof that penalty points notices had been delivered and registered post or delivery by a Guarda was not necessary? Would such a decision not apply equally in this case?

I don't really know. I'd work on the principle that registration is safer and not as easy for the supplier to argue with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think the OP might have run in to this guy by the sounds of it; was it a door to door seller by chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Exactly the same thing happened with me when I cancelled eircom to move to UPC back in April / May.

I rang up accounts and was told I had to sent a letter, which I duly did (address in Dublin, can't remember exactly where). Assumed that was that (note this was all done with 30 days notice).

Was rather unpleasantly surprised to receive a bill in May for the next 2 months line rental etc.

Immediately rang up to ask what was going on. Claimed they didn't receive the letter (of course they didn't....), and then they asked me why I didn't just email cancellations(!). I had asked about other ways of cancelling when I originally called up, and was told there wasn't any way other than by post.

Both myself and the rep tutted a fair bit at that.....

Anyway, my complaint was passed on to the complaints office, I was contacted within 48 hours by a very pleasant lady, who sorted the whole thing out, and I received an updated invoice a few days later with no cost to me.

Unfortunately as is all to often the case, it really depends on who you get on the phone, the original muppet didn't have a clue, the second lady knew what she was at, and that got me sorted out quickly.

• Does it not seem somewhat odd that an ISP seems to rely on posted letters regarding cancellations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Does it not seem somewhat odd that an ISP seems to rely on posted letters regarding cancellations?

With the amount of customers they are loosing I'm not surprised they make it as hard as possible to get out.

IIRC we still don't recognise emails as a legal communications method, something about an emailed signature not being legal while a fax or letter is.

It's strange that you can make a contract without a signature, but can't break it without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Im trying to cancel eircom now. I have been with them well over the year. Can anyone advise, what would the penalties be to me if I just cancelled the direct debits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does it not seem somewhat odd that an ISP seems to rely on posted letters regarding cancellations?
    Ryanair require all claims for refunds for damaged luggage to be done via fax (and they respond to you via an e-mail in return that you need to fax a reply to).

I know BT used to require all communication in writing for refunds a few years back.

I can keep on adding up companies but the point is to make it as difficult as possible to contact them / delay contact that people don't bother to pursue it properly.
    Im trying to cancel eircom now. I have been with them well over the year. Can anyone advise, what would the penalties be to me if I just cancelled the direct debits?
    Beyond the fact that you've not cancelled your account and will keep on running up a bill with them (as your account is not cancelled even if you don't use the service) that they can legally pursue you for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Clearly I'm not the only one having problems with them, they signed my mother up for an upgrade and never informed her that they were now renewing her contract for 12 months. You wouldnt mind all that but the upgrade is a heap of ****e, i spend more time trying to get online than actually online, and if you try ring them your talking to an idiot who takes all your details down wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Yea, well I phoned them today to cancel. (There fairly rude on the line, not trying to keep your custom or anything) and they gave me the address to post my cancellation request to. They wouldnt say that they would use the call as a reference or anything, they said its a months notice from when the process the cancellation. But sure that could drag on months. I cancelled the direct debit, so Im not too worried.

I wonder can this address be stickied? Anyone who wants to cancel eircom needs to inform them by sending a written cancellation request with their name acc number phone number etc to...

Eircom Account Administration Unit
    Unit 6B
    Westgate business park,
    Ballymount,
    D24

Yea, well I phoned them today to cancel. (There fairly rude on the line, not trying to keep your custom or anything) and they gave me the address to post my cancellation request to. They wouldnt say that they would use the call as a reference or anything, they said its a months notice from when the process the cancellation. But sure that could drag on months. I cancelled the direct debit, so Im not too worried.

I wonder can this address be stickied? Anyone who wants to cancel eircom needs to inform them by sending a written cancellation request with their name acc number phone number etc to...

Eircom Account Administration Unit
    Unit 6B
    Westgate business park,
    Ballymount,
    D24

You can email them they just don't want you to know about it. Send name, account number, phone number and tell them to cancel your account (send from email address linked to your account). Send to phonecancelations@eircom.ie. I would do this even if you sent a letter.

I have decided not to pay them for the 60 days after I cancelled my account. Im going to wait and see what happens. I will post here if they peruse me to keep you informed on what's happening.

Thank you for all your support
    Lamongoose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I cancelled with them in March, by delivering my letter by hand to Eircom here:
    Telephone House,
    43-57 Marlborough St,
    Dublin 1.

I got the name of the porter I handed it to (he offered it to me, to be fair to him) and hey presto! I was cancelled within a week or so.

OP, If you're based in Dublin, then that's one option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Is that "read receipt request" typed or do you mean, you click on something to ensure you get a receipt of it being opened, I recal doing that before in a place i worked in with MS Outlook, but I use private emails, gmail/yahoo.
    booboo88 wrote: »
    Clearly I'm not the only one having problems with them, they signed my mother up for an upgrade and never informed her that they were now renewing her contract for 12 months. You wouldnt mind all that but the upgrade is a heap of ****e, i spend more time trying to get online than actually online, and if you try ring them your talking to an idiot who takes all your details down wrong

Surely you can cancel on the basis that the service isnt up to standard/what you are paying for.
    lamongoose wrote: »
    You can email them they just don't want you to know about it. Send name, account number, phone number and tell them to cancel your account (send from email address linked to your account). Send to phonecancelations@eircom.ie. I would do this even if you sent a letter.

I have decided not to pay them for the 60 days after I cancelled my account. Im going to wait and see what happens. I will post here if they peruse me to keep you informed on what's happening.

Thank you for all your support
    Lamongoose.

Contact COMREG too? no

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bishmilla

Hi Lamongoose,

Same thing is happening with me. Being charged ridiculous broadband early cease charge of €192 despite being well out of initial 12 month contract.

What happened with your situation, can you give us an update please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

jor el wrote: »

But if you choose to cancel after 12 months they cant charge you an early exit fee.

I went to my solicitor about eircom, we cancelled with them are their broadband was shocking, they kept saying it must be a fault at our end and offered different bundles etc, but we've since signed up with upc, and no a single problem, bill is a set amount every month, I know exactly what Ill be paying and no ridiculous fees for a service that simply doesnt work, never mind the unbelievably long waiting time.
    We havent heard a single thing from eircom since and they've stopped the solicitors letters

Advertisement