Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Trek fans are this century's enlightenment people

• 19-08-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Something I've noticed about star trek fans across the world in general is that they can talk about things beyond T&A, like philosophy, science or politics and even though they may hold contrary ideological beliefs or be religious or whatever they generally want a better, more rational, meritocratic world. Ergo Star Trek fans remind me of those 18th century philosophers who advocated for more libertarian and humane societies. In centuries to come we will be regarded as being superior to everyone else just as those 18th century philosophers were. I know this is elitist, snobby and full of generalisations but I am 100% correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well since you say you're 100% correct there's no point in even debating the point!

Kudos good sir, kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

I would concur. I've actually noticed this myself through out the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why were you posting this when there was a DS9 rerun on Sky 2 ???!??!?!

Tsch......fan....yeah right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the scary thing about this is I don't think you're joking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

warp speed out of this thread Number 1..

engage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'd agree. I've had many a good conversation with fellow Trek fans about the most random stuff. Also, even though my education is as a humanist I find I can vaguely understand a lot of science due to me watching reams of sci-fi and Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

I think every member of a group will think they and the others members of a group are the enlightened ones. They think like me. They have the same interests as me. They talk about the same sort of things as me. Clearly they have a depth of understanding about me and the human condition that no other group has. They, and therefore I, must be the enlightened ones.

The best way to judge a group is how they are viewed by other groups. When you think of Politicians would you consider them enlightened? Yet they behave as if they are. What about bankers, film stars, sports stars, journalists, university graduates, oxbridge graduates? They all consider themselves the enlightened ones. Which, if any of that group would you consider enlightened?

In that case I'm afraid few would describe Trekers as enlightened. Harmless... perhaps. Nice..... probably. Nerdy.....definately. Enlightened...... don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd agree. I've had many a good conversation with fellow Trek fans about the most random stuff. Also, even though my education is as a humanist I find I can vaguely understand a lot of science due to me watching reams of sci-fi and Star Trek.

Yes I think Star Trek is very much underpinned by humanist beliefs, rationalism and scientific enquiry. I think these are all desirable values to encourage in the human race, given that in many societies bigotry, religious intolerance and group think are so widespread. Therefore Star Trek is the path to enlightenment.

Advertisement