Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Been off the beer since the 20th of December 2008 :) Much happier without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Since January 13th 2009 I haven't had a drink :-)

Autosport wrote: »
    Haven't had a drink in over 7 years, don't miss and doubt i'll ever touch a drop again. :)

Seven years that's brilliant, maybe you could share how you achieved it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

k4kate wrote: »
    18 days. Surprising myself. Have been off it for longer (6 weeks) but never been off it for as long while still going out at the weekend. 3 weekends now have been to pub and still had no drink. Know it's not as long as a lot of you guys but am feeling really pleased with myself.:)

Well done. I love hearing these stories. I gave it up around 20 months ago. Best decision I ever mad! Even though some people think there is some big reason I don't drink! I guess its because I'm 26 year old in Ireland and don't drink. Would recommend it to everyone. I love sobriety :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

Well done. I love hearing these stories. I gave it up around 20 months ago. Best decision I ever mad! Even though some people think there is some big reason I don't drink! I guess its because I'm 26 year old in Ireland and don't drink. Would recommend it to everyone. I love sobriety :-)

The reaction I am getting from people when I say I am not drinking is to ask am I ok and is there a health reason. As if feeling better is not health reason enough. Does it get harder or easier. I had a shaky time tonight when I had dinner in a pub and found I really wanted the drink. Took me by surprise and made me nervous of weekend approaching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

realies wrote: »
    Seven years that's brilliant, maybe you could share how you achieved it :)

For me the main reason I gave it up was I live in the countryside and it cost too much on a nite out between taxi's, drink, food etc. I decided I wasnt paying 50euro for a taxi home when I could just drive myself.

Now people especially Irish think it's strange that I dont drink and i've had people try and force me to drink and I just tell them I dont drink and sometimes i've had to say i'm a recovering alcoholic which i dont like to use but felt i had no choice :(

k4kate wrote: »
    The reaction I am getting from people when I say I am not drinking is to ask am I ok and is there a health reason. As if feeling better is not health reason enough. Does it get harder or easier. I had a shaky time tonight when I had dinner in a pub and found I really wanted the drink. Took me by surprise and made me nervous of weekend approaching

Hi k4kate As its still early in your journey cravings will be popping out at the most unusual times & places Try not to make such catastrophic predictions about your cravings, like “there’s no way I can stand this, so I might as well just drink and get it over with”, “I keep having cravings, so I must be an alcoholic, I can’t beat this…” etc. Cravings usually subside fairly quickly anyway, so just ride it out if need be also if i may be so bold to say,Putting temptation right in your face as in eating your dinner in pubs is imo a bit risky,would you not try some nice restaurants that are around you as i am sure there are many.:)

Hi k4kate As its still early in your journey cravings will be popping out at the most unusual times & places Try not to make such catastrophic predictions about your cravings, like “there’s no way I can stand this, so I might as well just drink and get it over with”, “I keep having cravings, so I must be an alcoholic, I can’t beat this…” etc. Cravings usually subside fairly quickly anyway, so just ride it out if need be also if i may be so bold to say,Putting temptation right in your face as in eating your dinner in pubs is imo a bit risky,would you not try some nice restaurants that are around you as i am sure there are many.:)

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to answer that. Be so bold as to say anything you like, I need all the suggestions and hints I can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Been off the drink since April 1st 2011.

I know that's not a long time, but I honestly couldn't be happier. I have heard it mentioned in this thread, but I, too, have seen a drop in my social life. It seems like most things in this country revolve around drink, but I have definitely broadened my horizons and have looked outside my usual comfortable zone, which is great.

I am only 22 years old so I feel like my social life should be taking this sort of hit, because most young people are mad for their nights out etc. But it really never was for me, and I am glad I finally gave up. I am being true to who I really am now, I suppose.

As I said, I couldn't be happier.

Been off the drink since April 1st 2011.

I know that's not a long time, but I honestly couldn't be happier. I have heard it mentioned in this thread, but I, too, have seen a drop in my social life. It seems like most things in this country revolve around drink, but I have definitely broadened my horizons and have looked outside my usual comfortable zone, which is great.

I am only 22 years old so I feel like my social life should be taking this sort of hit, because most young people are mad for their nights out etc. But it really never was for me, and I am glad I finally gave up. I am being true to who I really am now, I suppose.

As I said, I couldn't be happier.

I think you are great to not drink for so long. It must be a lot harder being male and at such a young age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Thanks very much k4kate!

Yeah, it's tough sometimes, but I am happy so that's what matters :D.

Good luck with your journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Last drink or mood altering substance was in Feb 1998. Like the man said, if I knew that was going to be my last drink I would have had two :D
    Can't believe it myself sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I haven't touched a drink in about 2 weeks, I only drink maybe once a month, I think that is good for a 19 year old considering my friends drink twice a week! I have no major reason as to not drink, but I hate hangovers, and my father does not drink at all, so maybe that has something to do with it.

It's great waking up without a hangover, logging on to facebook and seeing all the "I'm dying" comments. And it helps in soccer too, not having a "beer belly" :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I haven't had a drink in two and a half years. It was the best decision I ever made to stop drinking. Life is so much better without alcohol. I spent 21 years of my life drinking and it wasn't very nice for most of that time. But I have learned a lot about myself in the last 30 months and I know now for a fact that I am a better man. I have made a lot of changes to my life but they are all changes for the better. I have only one regret, and that is I wish I had quit drinking earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

fair play to each and every one of you you have a strength that many people cannot find. i myself have been trying to give up for a long time but alas the temptation is too much, ive been reliant on alcohol for two long, six cans at least every day for the last 5 years. unfortunately i just am too far gone to come back at this stage, but fair play to the rest of you all, i hope someday i can find that strength.

fair play to each and every one of you you have a strength that many people cannot find. i myself have been trying to give up for a long time but alas the temptation is too much, ive been reliant on alcohol for two long, six cans at least every day for the last 5 years. unfortunately i just am too far gone to come back at this stage, but fair play to the rest of you all, i hope someday i can find that strength.

alcomoholic For years I struggled with alcohol and denied my addiction. I did that all by myself. I was SHOCKED when I got to when i stopped, and discovered that all of us seem to have exactly those same thoughts!!! Who knew!!!,sure i cant stop,its to late for me, Remembering that experience serves to remind me that I am NOT different. I am NOT alone. If other people can manage to stay sober despite that mind chatter and all the other triggers to drink, then I can do it too.

So so can you ;) its always our choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

.... nearly 3 months, stopped drinking cause I'm training for the marathon and to be honest I don't really miss it, I feel allot healthier (body and mind), my bank account is allot healthier and no more hangovers. You really notice how much of a grip drink has on this country when your not drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

thought id drop a reply as things seem to have gone quiet in this forum.

after doing a 26 day stint and having one weekend im currently on 26 days again.i know il do 30 days but my birthday is coming up in the middle of the month so i may take a drink then,hopefully in modernation because if i dont its time to give it up

I feel so much in control of my life now for the first time in a long time and feel stronger now to be able to cope with anything thrown at me.friends have started to accept that i can go into a pub and sit with them and have a mineral and chat,but its just not the same anymore,even if i was drinking i dont think i feel the same,theres just no craic anymore,i have a lot of friends on short weeks work and dole etc and they have no money

i have never felt as fit and healthy and feel that i am more outgoing now that i hardly drink.

Well done seanrose, good for you.

The reason its so quite here now is that your not allowed post what we just posted :-)

Lasted 29 days and then got an awful toothache and drank to help with the pain. Am annoyed with myself now cos i know the toothache (though true) was just an excuse. Will have to try again

• Advertisement

Yep k4kate we give ourselfs lots & lots of excuses as why we should drink even though we know we should be cutting down or stopping.Try again as you did very well with 29 days, learn from the mistakes and cravings it can be done.

Yep k4kate we give ourselfs lots & lots of excuses as why we should drink even though we know we should be cutting down or stopping.Try again as you did very well with 29 days, learn from the mistakes and cravings it can be done.

Thank you very much for your encouragement. 29 days is not great though, is it? Not even a month. Hope I can do longer this time

29 days is great for starters, whats your plan or goal ? And remember if you’ve had an addiction to drink for a long time, then you’ve probably not got many hobbies left. In fact quite often, drinking is the only activity you actually do for fun. So when you try and stop, boredom is one of the biggest hurdles. There’s no way around it – you’re going to have to try some new activities.When you’ve found a few that you like, make sure you schedule them in every week:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

72 Days ...

The time had definitely come for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭irateghost

Ive been sober 3 years now i still eye up the dutch gold in supervalu every now and again )))

3 days :(

seanrose wrote: »
    thought id drop a reply as things seem to have gone quiet in this forum.

after doing a 26 day stint and having one weekend im currently on 26 days again.i know il do 30 days but my birthday is coming up in the middle of the month so i may take a drink then,hopefully in modernation because if i dont its time to give it up

I feel so much in control of my life now for the first time in a long time and feel stronger now to be able to cope with anything thrown at me.friends have started to accept that i can go into a pub and sit with them and have a mineral and chat,but its just not the same anymore,even if i was drinking i dont think i feel the same,theres just no craic anymore,i have a lot of friends on short weeks work and dole etc and they have no money

i have never felt as fit and healthy and feel that i am more outgoing now that i hardly drink.

well just a little update,had 8 pints 2 weeks ago but went home sober and had a nice evening relaxing with a few drinks,wouldnt want to do it every weekend but just felt like a few,it hasnt crossed my mind that just because i was sensible this time that it will be like that all the time.i know that my problem will always be there but i have to try and fight it as best i can

this weekend is my birthday,we are having drinks in the house on sat night and probably watch the football in sunday in a pub.i really hope that this weekend goes well and that i can moderate my drinking,i ppal to stick to drinking bottles of beer and stay away from shorts as that really is the drink that sends me a bit crazy.

my main objective to stay sensible is because people are waiting for me to **** up and make an arse of myself,however i know im the only person who can make sure that i am sensible

thanks

That sounds all well to me sean and you come across as one who knows what he wants,Enjoy your weekend and keep to your plan ,

O and happy birthday :-)

14 days :)

• Advertisement

hey kate,

can i ask you what your goals are or what you are trying to achieve

personally speaking i am cutting down on drinking,have done 26 days and 28 days this last 2 times,my aim now is to get to the 30days without alcohol.

but i also want to try and learn from the mistakes i have made when i have drank,i know that my problem is binge drinking,the last two times i have drank it has been a weekend binge,sat and sunday,i am always grand after the first night but come the second day thats when my problems start.i get ratty and cranky and my mouth gets the better off me.thats what really gets me down and takes me 2/3 days to get my appettite and general mental state back to where i want it to be.

good luck on you goals kate

Advertisement