Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TM Airsoft Pistols

• 22-09-2011 6:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about TM Airsoft pistols.

I have a number of Airsoft pistols at home (1911, M9's, P226, G18C) and one of the things I like about these is that they are full metal with GBB and look and feel realistic. I am also happy with how they fire, blow back, accuracy etc.

Yet I have read in many threads, folks raving about TM Airsoft pistols, the 5-7, PX4 etc.

It is my understanding that TM models are all ABS, is this true? If yes, I am just wondering how realistic looking/feeing the TM models are or if the TM users are not as into the realism of the devices and are more impressed with the performance of these Airsoft devices, which I believe is very very good.

Although I have never held or even seen a TM Airsoft pistol, I have this image in my head of them as looking like toy pistols more than "real steel" :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

They're the best pistol on the market tbh, performance and build quality wise. I'm sure someone will argue they're not realistic because they don't make metal versions of metal RS guns but look at it this way, 'da full metalz' doesn't put rounds on the target, TM does while also managing to look better than guns made from pot metal that your average airsofter will buy for that sole reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

The fact they are abs, is the only factor really. And the construction materials look great, so its only a 'feel' thing. Yes, its not full metal, but they weigh enough, and the performance is brilliant. No gbb's on the market, are as good as TM ones. Period. I'd use one any day. For me, having a full metal pistol is a novelty. I'm a player. I value performance, reliability, and function over all else. When I draw that sidearm, I want it to fire first time.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a thing against metal pistols, I just dont mind... I've owned many gbbs, and ive found a lot of the 'full metal' ones, to suck horribly. I'm after realism in shooting, not just looks. And the plastic guns can sometimes give snappier vblowback, or even harder blowback... case in point, the Maruzen PPK/s. A tiny abs pistol, but with more boot, and noise than a desert eagle.

In our climate, (the clincher) I find full metal often just doesnt cycle properly, or as efficiently, unless its c02.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I have not yet gotten to a skermish as I don't drive and am not sure about carrying RIF's on the bus, even if well covered up, so I have no experience of how any of my pistols would cope in that situation. However I do understand that green gas especially is susceptible to our cold weather.

My 1911 and one of my M9's can use both green and Co2 gas, my P266 and G18c are both green gas and my M4 is an AEG.

While I would fully agree that dependability, accuracy etc would be of utmost importance in a skermish, I must admit that I really like the metal replicas of the RS weapons. I would be interested however in having a look at and possibly trying out some of the TM airsoft pistols, as I said in the OP, I have neer seen anybody post that they were not impressed with the build quality or how they fired.

Can I ask if anybody knows why it is that TM don't produce metal versions of their Airsoft pistols.

TM are a Japanese based company, that build primarily for the Japanese market. Where its against the law. As they only sell to the international market as an after thought, they dont bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭goblin59

if you want a realistic TM pistol get a glock, as they are made from a polymer not metal as far as i know, so with the marui you'll get the performance as well as being very close to the real thing build wise

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    if you want a realistic TM pistol get a glock, as they are made from a polymer not metal as far as i know, so with the marui you'll get the performance as well as being very close to the real thing build wise
    Only the lower reciver is polymer, the slide and working parts are all metal.

The all polymer 'glock 9' from Diehard does not exist :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭goblin59

haha oops, serves me right for not doing proper research and just watching movies. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

the closest would eb the 5-7 as it has a synthetic external cover on the frame and slide on the real steel

i love tm pistols there just reliable they work and work and work, when you say abs you think of shiny cheap toys, tm finishs are very accurate and very relealistic these days a lot of the time it is hard to tell untill you pick it up

know this does have advantages it is lighter and the gas efficency is a lot higher as the slide is lighter both good for the pocket and for performance in bad weather

tm makes there products like this due to law in japan ( was reading you can by metal frames legally without issue but putting on a rif then creates something illegal, well grey area and sites will turn people away with full metal rifs ) Airsoft law in japan is very complicated but in short devices literally have to be built to fail if you try and upgrade them over a joule

i love tm pistols the meu has to be one of the best along with the g17 and the newer px and 57

Tm p226.... No question, the best pistol I've ever owned. It just won't die...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

forgot about the 226 , im looking forward to getting hold of the e2 they have just released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Me too Puding - the TM 226 has been on my want lost for ages, but has been difficult to source in Ireland recently as the main TM retailers are waiting for the e2.
    I'm hoping that navy frame metal kit I got for the 226 will work with the e2 ... doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

I own the TM 1911 MEU, its the dogs b*****s. Abs means nothin, this gun looks great, feels great and with distance and accuracy thrown in, I prefer it to any AEG I own and trust me, I own some sweet AEG's;) Mad Ozzie, I'll be forever in your debt:D ( Bought it from lads in Corkairsoft ):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The TM P226's closest rival is the KJW P226. The TM outperforms it but the KJW version is full metal, with decent performance, strong recoil and - if you get the right model - full trades.

Here's the kicker though; the KJW version weighs a metric assload and is arguably unskirmishable unless you've got a very secure holster. I've seen them fly from hip and chest holsters while running and drag drop-legs around like a lead weight on a fishing line.
    The TM, with it's plastic construction, doesn't have that issue at all. Plastic may not be super-duper realistic when you're holding it, but lighter can be very advantageous at times.

Try using the TM Desert eagle... nearly two full loads of bbs, off one fill of gas, range of an airsoft aeg smg, and the most fearsome bark ever.

Holster it? buy a wheelbarrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Again, compare that to the eighteen ton KWA CO2 version which barely squeezes off a mag per capsule and is completely unusable in a skirmish without ratchet straps and a harness system to carry around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

NakedDex wrote: »
    The TM P226's closest rival is the KJW P226. The TM outperforms it but the KJW version is full metal, with decent performance, strong recoil and - if you get the right model - full trades.

Here's the kicker though; the KJW version weighs a metric assload and is arguably unskirmishable unless you've got a very secure holster. I've seen them fly from hip and chest holsters while running and drag drop-legs around like a lead weight on a fishing line.
    The TM, with it's plastic construction, doesn't have that issue at all. Plastic may not be super-duper realistic when you're holding it, but lighter can be very advantageous at times.

The KSC system 7 P226 is an even closer rival to the TM. It weighs the same as the TM or close enough but all metal construction except for the barrel like all system 7 designs. Trades to boot and all.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Again, compare that to the eighteen ton KWA CO2 version which barely squeezes off a mag per capsule and is completely unusable in a skirmish without ratchet straps and a harness system to carry around.
    Difference is the TM is skirmishable...

However, on the note of 226s.

its all irelevant when the Inokatsu comes out.

I'm having one, and I will retire to a dark room to stroke it lovingly for a while before it gets skirmished.
    Preciousssss......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They are pretty good alright, although I think the reason they arnt as popular is because of the price, and now the advent of good quality co2 pistols.

I went with a KSC System7 USP and its a brilliant piece and I love it to bits.
    Then I grabbed a KJWorks 1911 CO2 and have been blown away by it.

I dont see myself getting any other pistol bar a m9 co2.

However if the above was not in existence, I'd have a tM1911, which imo is pretty much the best 1911 you can get beside the KJWorks co2 one.

And speaking of which, the two above , I've never even set the hop on them, lost both the little tools early on, so they arnt even shooting long and straight, but still, that...goood

You can use a fingernail for that hop style to :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Men don't have fingernails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

It all comes down to what you're looking for out of your pistol. I mean, they are rarely used by the majority on a skirmish field, and if you did need them to get out of a tight spot, the vast majority of pistols on the market will suffice at your standard pistol ranges.

Where Tokyo Marui excel is the fact that they only care about the Japanese market, and they care a lot for performance. Thus, you get brilliant performance, and excellent reliability from their pistols. The build quality is also excellent, however you'll be shelling out big bucks for a MBK (Metal Body Kit) if you're a realism junkie. Also, on that note, there are those out there who believe that you shouldn't bother putting MBK's on TM gear, and that they are never the same after it. It makes sense...they weren't made to pull the heavier slides, but it is worth thinking about...all comes back to the two schools of airsoft maintenance ("Ain't broke, don't fix" and "Prevention is better than cure").

All comes down to what it is you're looking for:
    - Accuracy (when you aim at it, you hit it)
    - Consistency (each shot hits the same place in an acceptable grouping)
    - Realism (the famed expression 'Full Metal' i.e. what's metal on the real one is metal on the replica, all the functions of the real one are present e.g. working safety/de-cocker etc, proper weight, and much much more)
    - Reliability (when you want/need it to fire, it does)
    - Aesthetics (that you actually like the look of your pistol...stupid ugly-as-sin VP-70...although, it has a certain charm)
    - Ergonomics (it can look nice all it wants, but unless you can hold it comfortably, flick on/off the safety, and in short operate your pistol, it's a wall hanger).
    - Practicality (Some are more practical than others; Marushin SAA Peacemaker - 6 shots, single action revolver...shells are expensive, and reloading takes a while e.g. how you beat Revolver Ocelot)

What weight you give to each of the following will determine what brand you ultimately should go for. I do strongly recommend owning at least one TM pistol...just so you know where there reputation comes from.

PS: The ultimate pistol will be the Inokatsu 1911. The ultimate rifle the Inokatsu Desert Eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Inari wrote: »
    e.g. how you beat Revolver Ocelot)

How many people will get that reference? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,365 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just got myself a TM Px4 and it's unreal, the range and accuracy is great and the mag holds lots of gas, even while firing all 25 shots rapidly I could still fire off another 8 shots without refilling the mag with gas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

PS: The ultimate pistol will be the Inokatsu 1911. The ultimate rifle the Inokatsu Desert Eagle

FYI; the Inokatsu m1911 is going to hurt financially. The p226 kit (I'm disappointed with that btw ... it's not CO2, designed to run with a TM and ergo will be a dog performance-wise in the UK and Ireland) is roughly US$730, so expect something similar price-wise for the m1911.

God I want one though ... but only if the A1 version doesn't have an inaccurate bulge sticking out the bottom of the magazine like the '70 series. I'm paying for accuracy of impression and for that money it'd better be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Aye, it is extremely disappointing that the P226 is a steel kit. I think they decided to do the P226 just to show people the quality of materials. I am dreading the final price of the 1911, but I do reckon it'll be circa €600-700. Worth it though. It is, for all intents and purposes, a gun. It just happens to fire 6mm BBs at non-lethal velocities

Yeah, good luck importing that 226 kit, or the 1911 'easily' here or the uk...

I'm gutted by the sig. They messed us around when we emailed for a price, never telling us it was a kit, but suggesting it was a full pistol. They even demanded we signed up to buy it before we could see a price... Inokatsu are a bit pikeyish at the moment. And Im disapointed by the sig. I don't want one if its a tm in a new dress, its going to ruin the TM. I'd rather have a shooters design ali kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I am dreading the final price of the 1911, but I do reckon it'll be circa €600-700.

Yup, expect it to be less than or amounting to same for the m4 supermod, but not by an awful lot ...

Firekitten wrote: »
    They messed us around when we emailed for a price, never telling us it was a kit, but suggesting it was a full pistol. They even demanded we signed up to buy it before we could see a price...

That's not quite correct. I emailed them looking for a price and/or VIP access. Basically, you send them details (address, etc.) and they provide you with a code with which to sign in and automatically get a paypal page showing you the amount yuo have to pay. You have three days in which to do so (or so I was told I had anyway), which I found to be a bit pushy. I still didn't get a base unit price in all of that; I had go google for any mention of price; and lo & behold one of the promo posters has a reference to price for the slide kit buried off in one bottom corner. It was only upon googling that it became clear that this was a kit for a TM compatible 226 and ergo not CO2 powered like the upcoming m1911.

I like Inokatsu stuff; I own Inokatsu stuff; I found their communication in general to be poor. Doubly so considering how much money they're asking.

With the ammount you paid for your 60, you'd have expected them to thow in a car, a holiday in tahiti, and a modest title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Just out of curiousity, i'm wondering which is the the most practical TM pistol for skirmishing. I currently use a KJW 1911 and to be honest i find it quite heavy while holstered and performance is..........so-so. I've held and fired the PX4 and the 5-7, the 5-7 i quite liked. Ultimately i'm looking for one that has good performance but it also quite skirmish-ible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Just out of curiousity, i'm wondering which is the the most practical TM pistol for skirmishing. I currently use a KJW 1911 and to be honest i find it quite heavy while holstered and performance is..........so-so. I've held and fired the PX4 and the 5-7, the 5-7 i quite liked. Ultimately i'm looking for one that has good performance but it also quite skirmish-ible.

TBH all TM pistols are skirmishable. I have the Glock 17 myself and its fantastic. :)

Advertisement