Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Chain Gang Sportives 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

The Brandon is sold out for Friday night. Do you recommend any other place that would do a good deal or is a decent place to stay. Thanks

Looking forward to this again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

NickDrake wrote: »
    The Brandon is sold out for Friday night. Do you recommend any other place that would do a good deal or is a decent place to stay. Thanks

Have just got the day off and as Nick says need alternative rec.
    Want to make a weekend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

The Carlton Hotel Tralee (formerly the Fels Point Hotel and still known to many by that name) on Dan Spring Rd is classic Celtic Tiger era establishment and a good base in my opinion. I've stayed there 3 times in the last year or so and can't complain. You even get free use of the Aquadome for the duration of your stay!

http://www.carltonhoteltralee.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Esroh wrote: »
    NickDrake wrote: »

Have just got the day off and as Nick says need alternative rec.
    Want to make a weekend of it.

Just seen your message now guys - have feelers out for an alternative and will get back on here to you as soon as I have something confirmed (will try to make it as quick as possible).

I'll have to touch base with the Brandon to see what the story is, but I suspect bookings related to the Listowel races on around the same time might have something to do with it.

thanks Che. Will hold off booking so.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    The Carlton Hotel Tralee (formerly the Fels Point Hotel and still known to many by that name) on Dan Spring Rd is classic Celtic Tiger era establishment and a good base in my opinion. I've stayed there 3 times in the last year or so and can't complain. You even get free use of the Aquadome for the duration of your stay!

http://www.carltonhoteltralee.com/

Thanks but sold out for Friday night. Lovely hotel I agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

ROK ON wrote: »
    If only becuase they do the best apple tart known to humanity. Even better than my late mothers apple tart.
    On holidays in Dingle a few weeks back I cycled out there almost every day in driving rain just to have a slice of apple tart.

Get onto it Che.:D

Is this the apple tart place??? http://www.mollygallivans.com/

:)

Hi guys - just getting back with some accommodation news for those that found no rooms available in the Brandon.

Our friends in Tralee Bicycle Club (indeed boards very own Murph100) have put word to their new sponsors in the Manor West Hotel and the hotel has been generous enough to step into the breach and has offered to match the Brandon Hotel rate for participants of €45 pps/night B&B which includes the use of the hotels fantastic leisure facilities during your stay there. The phone number for reaching the Manor West Hotel is 066 719 4500.

I've just also been offered the same rate (€45 pps/night B&B) by the very nice folk at the Grand Hotel Tralee - so there is a choice of high quality accommodation available for those travelling to Tralee for the event! The phone number for reaching the Grand Hotel is 066 7121499.

To avail of these rates all you have to do is mention you are travelling to participate in the Chain Gang Cycling Club Sportives while booking - but the recommendation is to act fast as both hotels have mentioned that there is (as suspected) a noticeable increase in bookings being placed by the Gee-Gee crowd for the Listowel races!

Big thanks again to Murph100 (ya legend! if I can return the favour at some point let me know) and Tralee B.C., the Manor West and Grand Hotels - your help and support is greatly appreciated by all those in the Chain Gang.

(Oh and the apple tart suggestion has been passed on - we'll see what we can do ;))

Excellent Che . Will book the Manor tomorrow. Really good going from ye.

Just a very short post to make those people who may still be thinking of participating aware there are just 4 days remaining for on-line registration!

The system will close on the 12th at 10pm to allow us to start planning for numbers attending, but between now and then entrants can still save a few of their hard earned (and in these times hard kept) euros over the on the day registration fees :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

just signed up and took advantage of the Manor west hotel offer , looking forward to this last epic sportive of the season.

Just hope the wind will be absent .... had enough wind at the Rebel tour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

michael196 wrote: »

Just hope the wind will be absent ....

Best of luck with that.

Hi all,

Just dropping a very quick line to let people know that online registration has closed for the event - entry will still be available on the morning from Kerins O'Rahillys GAA grounds for anyone interested in testing themselves on our spin around the Dingle Peninsula.

We're deep into the advanced phase of organising for Saturdays ride - Kerry Spring has helped out enormously with the event H20 (taken from source in Ballyferriter which the Blasket Blast route passes through!), O'Halloran Cycles is sponsoring us with things to keep riders on the road in both the carbohydrate and mechanical support materials sense, we've been testing out the event PA system (with a little Audioslave & Foo Fighters!), the signage is printed, on posts and ready to be set, a small army of marshalls is ready for placement, we're working on seeing about putting some cameras on the route to capture the day, the food is well planned.

All we need is to see what news comes from the oracle that is M.T. Cranium over in Weather as we approach the weekend! Currently it's looking like it could be a little blustery with the chance of showers but we're doing sun dances to any deity that's listening to see if we cant improve the outlook :D

For anyone intending to ride the event with the help of a Garmin, we've made a sight alteration to the route as it gets out of Tralee so here are the Blasket Blast and Conor Pass Challenge - no point having the accuracy of GPS and using an inaccurate course!

I think that's about it! To whoever's travelling to join us - see you Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Hi lads ,I was hoping to do the blast but have been put off by some people as to the degree of difficulty.I have been told its more for teams and clubs etc, more of a racing enviroment.Since I have done only a few events as the ring of Kerry,Sky etape in Clare(found this hard) and a couple of more I feel I might be out of my depth here and maybe should settle for the Conor pass.I add I am just a leisure cyclist I am not member of a club or anything.
    Any Advice?

Dumbass question, but I cant find answer on your website.
    What time does it start?

Hi Codie - don't know who's been telling tales but my advice is to go for it - at the very least see how you feel after beating the Conor Pass on the way to the foodstop in Dingle. The routes diverge from there so it's an ideal place to make the call - just make sure to inform one of the marshals if you do.

Certainly if you've completed the ROK and the Etape Hibernia you have an endurance base built and experience of long routes which will definitely stand to you.

We've had riders from pretty much the whole spectrum of ability (recently started leisure cyclists, ROK riders, club cyclists and even national hill climb champs) take part since we established the event and much like most other events while there may be a gap between the first and final rider back all people can do is take on the challenge at their own pace and enjoy their day in the saddle.

The Club is primarily leisure focussed and the event is set a challenge for all riders without being a race. Each route will have a lead vehicle which will pace control for all but the last 20km to ensure a race doesn't break out but allow a gallop for home for those that want it. Each route will also be followed by support vehicles and we'll have moto marshalls going up and back the road so even if you're not at the front of things you won't be left abandoned or out of the event :)

And if you do find yourself feeling too far off things you can even call in support to pick you up and bring you back up to a/the bunch!

Dumbass question, but I cant find answer on your website.
    What time does it start?

We'll be doing sign on from 8 to ~9.15am, leaving 15 minutes for the last riders signing on the opportunity to get ready before the event rolls out at 9.30am.

(I'll add the details to the FAQ, just in case anyone else is also having difficulty tracking down the info)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Looking forward to this tomorrow, signed up for the Blasket Blast, a little worried about the climb being so early but should be fun. Have done the Conors Pass challenge before and the SKT a few weeks back so feeling good for tomorrow.

Weather looks like a mixed bag of showers tomorrow so is there any shower facilites at the finish? Have to drive back to Galway so not wanting to get in the car wet after the finish.

could always just change into old jeans / track suit bottom and t shirt top after a quick dry with a towel, if there are no showers, however of course showers are preferable.

No need to worry about showers lads - Kerins O'Rahillys have assured us the showers in the changing rooms will have enough hot water to drown a cycling army (well maybe not drown, but certainly give them a serious dose of wrinkley fingers!) - you'll only have to get into the car wet if you've forgotten your towel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

More worried about rain showers!!! Thanks to the chain gangs offer in the Brandon hotel I should have plenty of water for afterwards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

You always just air dry:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

Did this today and had a great day out. Pity the weather couldn't have been a small bit kinder. There were some savage winds at times. Very well organised so well done to the chain gang.

Thanks to the Gang.
    Very well organised as usual.
    The cream cakes and hot showers were just what the doc ordered.
    Spent half the day out of the saddle due to an issue with my sit bones/saddle sore. Agony.
    Pity about the weather but it could have been held anytime from May till now and the weather would have been no different.
    Met Lescol and CheGuedara and that's it of boardsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Did the 150km route and the route was tough with Conors Pass being so early in the day. Weather wasn't too bad as there was only some showers, the wind was strong in places but nothing too bad. Got a stitch about half way so lost the main group and was on my own for the rest of the route, upset stomach then for final 30km so like ROK ON finished that section out of the saddle, although the final climb suited that!

Few minor complaints - Lead car was going in/out of hard shoulder which was dangerous getting a group of cyclist to unnecessarily cross the roadlines and cat eye's, I imagine this was to assist traffic flow but could've caused an accident. Also no toilet facilities at the second / third stop. Second time doing the event and will go be back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

A well organised event, thank you to all involved.

Did the 110km due to feeling under the weather. Enjoyed the sunshine, hated the showers. Punctured front tube at 55kph coming down the Conor Pass which was a scary moment.

The Dingle to Tralee ride turned out to be a solo effort and I was looking forward to a nice freewheel down into Tralee, turned the bend at the top and was nearly blown backwards!

@ROK ON, hope your problem resolves quickly, you looked really uncomfortable.

All in all, a great event, will be back again for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Did the 110 and it was fun but tough, the wind was a pain, especially climbing the Conor pass, my first time climbing that beast. Will have another crack at that for sure.
    Hospitality was great so thanks to all of the organisers and volunteers, grub was top notch and warm showers rounded off an enjoyable day.

First time on the Chain gang sportives, did the 150K, Wexford Wheelers gear. Great event, well organised , good showers afterwards, good food. My first time down around the connor pass and slea head.

Bit of a race broke out on the return from Slea head, a few miles before the Leathaoibh hill. A group of us hung on as much as we could !.

Bit of confusion back in dingle on the returm whether to go back to the original feed station or go right at the roundabout.

Had a head cam on board so will post up links here and to the chain gang people.

@Michael196. I was wondering was that you, I should have come over to say hi.
    I think we met at a race earlier this year in Co Limerick. Would be good to see clips of climb and descent of Conor Pass as well as the section of Slea Head from the ford to the statue by the coast road.

• Advertisement

@Michael196. I was wondering was that you, I should have come over to say hi.
    I think we met at a race earlier this year in Co Limerick. Would be good to see clips of climb and descent of Conor Pass as well as the section of Slea Head from the ford to the statue by the coast road.

yep, I can never tell the boardsies in a group !!! I only Know Captain Havoc !! now without his boards gear . Looking over the footage this morning, camera angle was pointing down a bit too much, footage of the connor pass has alot of my hanldebars !!, and rain drops on the lens obscured a fair amount, anyhow a proper review next few days and see what I can get off the card. Should be good enough. Hopefully Slea head is there, otherwise i will have to do it again !!!

Advertisement