Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bar Rescue

• 11-09-2011 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Jon Taffer is a bar and nightclub owner who has started, flipped, or owned over 600 bars and clubs in his career and currently owns one of the most highly respected consulting firms in the bar and nightclub industry. Jon will travel around the country and employ his expertise to return struggling bars to the cash cows they once were.

Into its second season on Spike tv.

Looks interesting and original.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its a really great show, actually. Its a bit like Kitchen Nightmares, but for bars. What sets it apart (and makes it better) is that it doesn't have the phony drama that Fox tack on.

It also helps that John Taffer can be as much of an asshole (but still be as well-meaning) as Gordon Ramsay.

Its still in season 1, by the way (episode 8 is on tonight).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yeah gonna watch a few of these episodes tonight, love these makeover shows.

:mad:Another fake scripted show, just watched the episode about downeys in philly and the guy who was sitting at the bar drunk gets a drive home outside the bar from a woman who gives him a disdaining look implying that it is he's girlfriend, later on at the reopening the same woman is seen with a different guy all smiles and happy, do these people take us for fools, total scripted and fake show end off.

Just to add the times, woman in car at 29:48 driving the guy home is the same woman at the opening with a different guy at 38:05.
    Also i have checked out downeys on streetview on google and there is no sign of a pile of broken chairs in the balcony upstairs, in fact there is a lovey set of chairs and table up there.

Another good article about downeys pub http://articles.philly.com/2011-07-25/news/29812861_1_deadbeat-jon-taffer-third-floor-apartment

Looks like they owe the city $125,881 in taxes. The pub is up for sheriff sale Aug. 2 to satisfy millions owed to Wells Fargo. That will be followed by a sale of the bar's assets on Aug. 12 for money owed to the city.

Well done spike tv well done, i can see ye done a lot of research before putting this show on the t.v:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Hah, just like Kitchen Nightmares then. I remember reading an article which said 90% of restaurants featured were closed within 6 months and nearly all of those that did survive only did so because they were sold on.

I still liked watching it though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'd say that statistic is for the American show as they went back to all the British ones and they were all still there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Skerries wrote: »
    i'd say that statistic is for the American show as they went back to all the British ones and they were all still there

Yep your right, probably should of mentioned that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

any sign of the last episode? supposed to have aired on 9/11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I like the show,did anyone see the episode with the Irish guy who is master of whiskey or something,peter something or other seemed to know his stuff for a youngish guy.http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/rwukcx/bar-rescue-shabby-abbey-season-1-ep-103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

cheers, episode 8 is online for anyone who is looking for it
    http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/08rwk7/bar-rescue-chumps-season-1-ep-108

• Advertisement

One of the owners on Ep 8 champs in Burbank was Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Just found this show a couple of weeks ago on Amazon Prime and I'm loving it. Having worked in bars and hotels for years when I was a young fella, I love getting a peek behind the scenes of these crap-holes. I love John Taffer too: initially I thought he was a bit too nice, but he's really going to town on them now. It's a bit like the Gordon Ramsey shows, but I think Ramsey is a bit of a puss, whereas John looks like he's fight everyone when he gets worked up :)

I think I've got over a hundred episodes to work through. I was getting worried because I have run out of stuff to watch but happy days are here again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it's a fun show. I still watch it when it's on.

Just be glad they don't have all episodes - there are over 200. :)

Advertisement