Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Oz!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Handed inthe notice into work, flying out on the 8th Oct....can't frickin wait. Starting off in Cairns then making my way down the whole east coast where I hope to get a job in Melbourne. Anybody know if there are any jobs in banking in Melbourne for whv'ers?

what route are you taking from dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

zweton wrote: »
    what route are you taking from dublin?

Dublin-Frankfurt-Singapore where i'm staying for 2 nights-Cairns, how about yourself?

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Dublin-Frankfurt-Singapore where i'm staying for 2 nights-Cairns, how about yourself?

im just pricing around now really, 2 nights in singapore shouls break up the jetlag nicely its a good idea actually may do something similar myself,was the flight from singapore to cairns expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

im just pricing around now really, 2 nights in singapore shouls break up the jetlag nicely its a good idea actually may do something similar myself,was the flight from singapore to cairns expensive?

It was something like €1300 return, there's a change of flights in Singapore so you can stay as long as you like there free of charge I.e instead of getting a flight straight away you can get one 2/3 days later. Btw I booked with trailfinders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

2 days!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

2 days!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

The days is finally here. Just waking in bewleys hotel at the airport. The reality of the fact that Im heading to OZ still hasn't hit me!!!!

See ye on the other other side

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Good luck Munster Gal :) Safe journey (although you'll be here by the time yo u read this)

I don't know if the beers last weekend worked out but I'd be up for meeting for a drink/cuppa whatever. Have settled in Richmond for now, really like the area but know nobody!

Lucylocket would be happy to meet you & the BF for a drink, i trust ya that you arent serial killers! i understand about the need to talk to a few paddies haha. I'm in a place thats kinda a cross between a share house & hostel & ppl are nice but havent really clicked with anyone. That's gand with me cos I like my own company & I'm only here for a few months but it would still be nice to chat with people from home & in the same boat. How are you both gettin on with th job hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Princess N meant to say the same thing to you, would be delighted to meet for a drink/cuppa. I'd say you're dying to get out of the house for a break! sure pm if you want :)

Currently in Abu Dhabi Airport - longest flight ever and I'm not even half way there :( heading to my gate now for the 2nd flight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hang in there. Just now the flight ends at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Planning on moving out the start of November. My original plan was Vancouver in Canada but I had a mistake on my application so it got returned and then quota was full before I could resubmit. Had friends that I was travelling to out there but I had already geared myself up to be leaving before Christmas so decided I couldn't wait and applied for Oz Visa instead. Alot easier to get!!! I had always been thinking about Australia but decided on Canada because of the connections there. Kind of like the thrill of going somewhere else and all in such a short space of time. Thinking Melbourne as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Currently in Abu Dhabi Airport - longest flight ever and I'm not even half way there :( heading to my gate now for the 2nd flight :D

Good Luck, keep us updated with how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Hi folks,just over 3 weeks here now,gosh time has flown!
    moved in to our new pad and we did very well i think,got some furnishings left in the house which was owner occupied so it has some nice features.
    My daughter is back in her old school and settled in like she had never left,High School after the next term for her then.
    My Fiancee got a job back with her old employer so Happy Days there,just myself to get sorted now.
    Already went camping too,couldn't resist it.
    Real nice time to settle back in the Goldcoast with the weather being warm 18-25deg max with a light breeze most days and just a little chill at night.
    Food and clothing has come down in my opinion which is a bonus.
    3 weeks till our container arrives at Brissy,it will be like Christmas morning :D.
    Have got by mostly acquiring secondhand stuff through Gumtree and got some great deals,just got to be quick.
    Looking forward to Saturday night with the rugby,and what a nice time for kick off 8.30pm :cool:
    Might have to head to the Irish bar for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Gregsor wrote: »
    Looking forward to Saturday night with the rugby,and what a nice time for kick off 8.30pm :cool:
    Might have to head to the Irish bar for that!

Kickoff is 6.30 AEST Gregsor! Just in case you turn up at pub at 8.30 having missed our historic victory :)

Got here in one piece anyway!!
    Got a mobile and some mobile broadband sorted so now I'm house/apartment hunting - next thing is job hunting :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi all,

Soooooo sorry for my very delayed response...Such a whirlwind of events since i was last on this site.
    I hope i didnt miss board drinks did i??? Princess_N , Mr Mister and Seanie K would you all still be up for meeting for drinks....I promise to respond this time!!

We are in Oz nearly 3 weeks now.All goin very well so far.
    My O/H started a labouring job a week into arriving here.He is working with a couple of Irish guys so he is getting on great so far.Early starts each morning - 6 days a week.So its tough enough but moneywise its well worth it!!
    Also, we found an absol fab apartment in South Yarra.Moved in last week.We fell in love with this area.I honestly think its the best place to live in Melbourne.In our opinion of course:D
    Its brand new, never been lived in so we cudnt have asked for better than that.Its costing $400 a week but its honestly worth every penny.
    Everything we need is on our doorstep....bars,restaurants,shops,cinema,train station,trams etc

My next big task is getting a job for myself!! Ive worked in banks for the last 11 yrs so i sent my CV off on saturday to loads of different recruitment agencies.Have had very good feedback so far so with a bit of luck i will have something this time next week.Met with agencies yesterday, today & have more 2moro.Im praying one of them hooks me up as soon as possible.
    Its ridiculously boring spending all day alone whilst my O/H is off working.
    There is only so much internet browsing one can possibly deal with :p

In a nutshell, i am loving Melbourne.It is such a cool city.Was sitting in the rooftop bar on Swanston St a couple of days ago thinkin this is the life.When cud u possibly do anything like that in Dublin!!It was amazing!

I suppose the only downside so far is feeling a little lonely....as pathetic as it sounds, its so true.Of course i have my O/H there but it wud be nice to have a few girlfriends too for typical gossip chats.But im sure it will happen eventually....Skype is the best invention ever :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Hi Lucy - sounds like you're way ahead in terms of getting things sorted! I had budgeted to allow for about 1 month of househunting but I'll be on my own looking for houseshare so might take longer. Do any of the lads that your boyfriend is working with have girlfriends over that you could get onto him about a group night? I'm sure once you get working you'll get know plenty of people and it will snowball from there.

Does there seem to be jobs in melb in general?

Hi all,

Soooooo sorry for my very delayed response...Such a whirlwind of events since i was last on this site.
    I hope i didnt miss board drinks did i??? Princess_N , Mr Mister and Seanie K would you all still be up for meeting for drinks....I promise to respond this time!!

We are in Oz nearly 3 weeks now.All goin very well so far.
    My O/H started a labouring job a week into arriving here.He is working with a couple of Irish guys so he is getting on great so far.Early starts each morning - 6 days a week.So its tough enough but moneywise its well worth it!!
    Also, we found an absol fab apartment in South Yarra.Moved in last week.We fell in love with this area.I honestly think its the best place to live in Melbourne.In our opinion of course:D
    Its brand new, never been lived in so we cudnt have asked for better than that.Its costing $400 a week but its honestly worth every penny.
    Everything we need is on our doorstep....bars,restaurants,shops,cinema,train station,trams etc

My next big task is getting a job for myself!! Ive worked in banks for the last 11 yrs so i sent my CV off on saturday to loads of different recruitment agencies.Have had very good feedback so far so with a bit of luck i will have something this time next week.Met with agencies yesterday, today & have more 2moro.Im praying one of them hooks me up as soon as possible.
    Its ridiculously boring spending all day alone whilst my O/H is off working.
    There is only so much internet browsing one can possibly deal with :p

In a nutshell, i am loving Melbourne.It is such a cool city.Was sitting in the rooftop bar on Swanston St a couple of days ago thinkin this is the life.When cud u possibly do anything like that in Dublin!!It was amazing!

I suppose the only downside so far is feeling a little lonely....as pathetic as it sounds, its so true.Of course i have my O/H there but it wud be nice to have a few girlfriends too for typical gossip chats.But im sure it will happen eventually....Skype is the best invention ever :):):)

Im on Collins street in the cbd at the moment. Looking at an apartment on exhibition street tomorrow and fingers crossed we'll be moving in at the weekend.
    We should be heading for drinks on Saturday to watch the rugby if you fancy it :) just pm me

Does there seem to be jobs in melb in general?
    I've applied for LOADS over the last 24hours. Just waiting on the replies now and have one interview in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Hi all. I haven't posted here in about a month now, was up to my eyeballs trying to get stuff organised from home and I had only limited internet access when I got to Oz at first.

Anyhoo, I’ve been in Perth for 2 weeks now and I love it so far. It can be pricey if you’re heading out a lot but I find it’s not that expensive during the week. I spent $700 in the first 3 days, but in the 10 days since then only spent $350! :eek: I haven’t got totally used to the financial side of things yet but I couldn’t survive too long without a job. I was lucky enough to have work sorted from Ireland so it was good to get into a routine straight away.

Perth is only a short term stop off for me while I do a bit of training for work. I’ll be off to Melbourne in two weeks (where I’ll be staying long-term) so I’ll be able to get settled down properly over there. Really looking forward to getting to Melbourne but I’ll miss my mates in Perth! I have a few friends in Melbourne who are on the lookout for a new place to live so we’re all going to get a place together. Hopefully we’ll have something by the time I get over or very soon after.

Seems to be plenty of interest in Melbourne boards beers, if they are still going when I get over then I’ll be up for going to one. I don’t know as many in Melbourne as I do in Perth so I’m always looking to meet new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Well folkes

Been in Perth now just over a month, so far so good. The gf has some part-time work and I'm still looking for some but i'm amazed that all adds require you to have your own car. 2 recruiters basically hung up on me when they asked had I a car and I said no, really annoying.

Was offered FIFO work with a major contractor but had to decline it for now, cause we want to do our regional first, and getting a harvest job that suits a couple is a bit tricky but hopefully we might have work sorted in Esperance starting in a few weeks.

Overall I really like perth, its not massive, I already know my way around the city and the train ans bus services are brilliant. Just hope now I get some casual work to make a few $.

Was a bit shocked at the prices at first when the gf ordered a smirnoff black in a pub and it cost $12.50 but when you look at her hourly wage its the same as back home. Not everything is dear, shops like Kmart/Coles/BigW are fairly cheap. So heres hoping we get our regional work done and then settle some where...Melboure maybe, Only joking but why is everyone heading to Melbourne:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 lucylocket82

Hi gossipgal,

Id say ur rite with regards to me meeting people once i get working.I was just feeling sorry for myself...ha!
    All the lads that my O/H works with are here with a bunch of lads.They are all single & playing the field so no chance there of potential couple nites out.

Munster gal i really hope the apartment viewing went well.
    Where are u heading to watch the rugby??
    We were planning on just watching the game then heading home cos we are on for a big session sunday nite for the Dublin game.
    As far as i know the Quiet Man is the place to be for the GAA games so really looking forward to that.Its not on til 1am though so heres hoping im still awake at that stage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I suppose the only downside so far is feeling a little lonely....as pathetic as it sounds, its so true

I feel the same... and homesick too. :(

Honestly, for a grown woman....! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

After 6 years in Oz I still feel homesick and I am 30+

Everyone feels this way, it is bloody hard to move to Australia, it can be made easier by travelling with friends.

Making new friends, esp long term ones can be difficult, one of the hardest things to do is make friends who stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Yea I imagine alot of people move on pretty quick as most are here on a WHV, I'm here for the forseeable future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Right, at the risk of sounding like a total wimp here, can anyone recommend a good website to teach me about bugs and creepy crawlies because I've just battered to death a thing like a small brown cockroach. :eek:

All going really well so far - apart from the jet lag and occassional home sickness (already! I know - pathetic)

We got an apartment :) and its in the city as well so pretty awesome!!! I'm also waiting on a call back about a job which is looking really positive - also in the city! Only here 4 days but feels like it's been about 2 weeks - I've walked my legs off - calves are actually aching from all the walking - but on the plus side the new apartment has a gym so that'll sort out the aches and pains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Hi Guys
    Ill be heading over to Aus at the end of next year (seems like forever) with my gf, the both of us are actually getting more excited every time we read this thread. It seems like everyone is doing well for themselves over there. Ill keep throwing my eye in here as there's some very good advice being given, Good luck to everyone who is going or is already over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Im on Collins street in the cbd at the moment. Looking at an apartment on exhibition street tomorrow and fingers crossed we'll be moving in at the weekend.
    We should be heading for drinks on Saturday to watch the rugby if you fancy it :) just pm me

Did you get in contact with any estate agents before you headed over or only did ya only start house hunting when you arrived?

Advertisement