Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Girl [Fox - Spoilers]

• 02-09-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.tvguide.com/News/New-Girl-Deschanel-Justin-Long-1036964.aspx

Justin Long has joined the cast of Fox's new rom-com New Girl for a multi-episode arc, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
    In New Girl, Zooey Deschanel stars as Jess, an unlucky-in-love elementary school teacher who moves away from her philandering boyfriend and in with three unruly guys. Long, whose credits include He's Just Not That Into You and Dodgeball, will play Paul, a music teacher who catches Jess's eye.

Created and executive-produced by No Strings Attached screenwriter Liz Meriwether, the show also stars Hannah Simone, Jake M. Johnson Lamorne Morris, and Max Greenfield.
    New Girlpremieres Tuesday Sept. 20 at 9/8c on Fox.

Promo

Justin Long and Zooey Deschanel together :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i got to say it looks good but the first time i saw the promo the first thing i though was
    "the big bang theroy" without the physics
    anybody think the same?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The pilot is now out, i'll watch it sometime this week...not high on my list, again if you do review please use spoiler tags as it's a PREAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

That looks pretty good. Will have to check it out

the pilot is out???
    it not out in the states til the 19th i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I'll hop on this tonight.

• Advertisement

when is /was the pilot out

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

bpb101 wrote: »
    when is /was the pilot out

few days ago I think

Watched it anyway, very good show you can see its not very original but they use what works in my opinion. If it builds from the pilot will be excellent.

some of it was like the show 'Happy Endings', and actually one of the actors is also form that show. So is Happy Endings cancelled? I quite liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Compak wrote: »
    some of it was like the show 'Happy Endings', and actually one of the actors is also form that show. So is Happy Endings cancelled? I quite liked it

He was only in the pilot, as he had a commitment to "Happy Endings" - as it got renewed, he has been replaced on "New Girl" which will seem a bit jarring since they didn't re-shoot the pilot.

I definitely like Deschanel and the show seems to bank heavily on how much the audience likes her but I didn't find the pilot very funny overall. Still, most comedy pilots I can remember have been a bit on the weak side so I'll definitely give it a few more episodes before I make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

J-blk wrote: »
    He was only in the pilot, as he had a commitment to "Happy Endings" - as it got renewed, he has been replaced on "New Girl" which will seem a bit jarring since they didn't re-shoot the pilot.

I definitely like Deschanel and the show seems to bank heavily on how much the audience likes her but I didn't find the pilot very funny overall. Still, most comedy pilots I can remember have been a bit on the weak side so I'll definitely give it a few more episodes before I make up my mind.

Ah excellent, dont think I could go without my Elisha Cuthbert fix.

Did someone say Justin Long is in it? Is he not the dorky type actor from films like Dodgeball. Did not recognise him at all if he was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Compak wrote: »
    Did someone say Justin Long is in it? Is he not the dorky type actor from films like Dodgeball. Did not recognise him at all if he was in it.

Yes that's him - he's also known as the Mac guy from the Mac and PC Apple ads. He wasn't in he pilot - apparently he has a multi episode arc booked but I can't remember when he is scheduled to first appear, third episode I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Two boobs Johnson... TIGER boobs Johnson.

Pretty damn good pilot actually, very funny and I hope that they keep this going. Love Zooey Deschanel - I sort of see this being a bit like 30 Rock in a way, some is quite subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They could just throw Deschanel up on the screen for 25 minutes and I'd be happy.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses. Comedy pilots are usually very underwhelming.

At least this whelmed me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was a horrible promo.. but it has Zooey Deschanel...

.. TORN!

I watched it last night, not as bad as expected....please note, i am NOT a fan of Zooey, i always found her ditzy, too "alternative" and a dreadful singer. But as to the pilot...there was some really good laughs but a few times the jokes fell flat.

The kookie female roomie will get annoying imo, but i like that three lads....the douchebag jar was great!, some have likened it to TBBT.......eh?, just because you have three guys and a girl don't make it so, the format is nothing new, i just hope it dosen't focus too much on Dechaneel as for reasons above ^

Will i keep watching?....what night is it on?, what is it's competition?....my schedule this year is INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i can fit it in i might watch but it's not on a must see now list. 3/5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I also noticed similar traits to TBBT. The show was ok as such.
    Quirky and will be interesting to see if there is any story arcs or just something always news each week alone.
    Will watch this show for a while to give it a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

It was...ok. I'll give it a few more episodes but wasn't particularly won over.

i like it , got to say , was it a comedy ? i wasn't spiting my sides laughing
    i like to see how it develops over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

bpb101 wrote: »
    i like it , got to say , was it a comedy ? i wasn't spiting my sides laughing
    i like to see how it develops over the next few weeks
    Just saying... go back and watch ANY pilot of a "comedy" show on TV now or in the past. Even the most hilarious ones.

I bet you'd only find a handful of pilots that were "side splitting" or even funny at all. Pilots prove the concept of the show, how it works, the type of comedy... the actors very often even. This was a particularly well made and well produced pilot, so it felt very much like the start of the season - but it's not, the show needs to find its feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Watching it right now & enjoying it but I do like her. The guys seem to have a well written dynamic too. I think it's probably more aimed at women.

The theme tune reminds me of Jenna singing "It's Pat" on 30 rock though

Coach was my fave of the guys, but then I found out the actor has been recast due to another of his pilots getting picked up or something. #bummed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DeWitt wrote: »
    Coach was my fave of the guys, but then I found out the actor has been recast due to another of his pilots getting picked up or something. #bummed
    I presume it's because Happy Endings got picked up for a second season.

I quite liked the pilot - except for the cringey "Time Of Your Life" restaurant scene.

Ah yeah, that was it. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

the pilot aired last night, i thought it was fairly good it looks like a show ill watch for as long as it airs, i was expecting this to be all zooey deschanel but it wasnt, the 3 lads are great and going by the pilot i see no reason they cant get better, when i saw a wayans in the credits it put me off a bit, but he turned out to be one of the funniets caracters,

this and 2 broke girls look like good new shows,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Basq wrote: »
    I quite liked the pilot - except for the cringey "Time Of Your Life" restaurant scene.

Overall is ok (probably because Zoey in it) but the restaurant scene definitely cringing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I actually lolled at 2 broke girls and it's got Kat Dennings om nom nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

MartMax wrote: »
    Overall is ok (probably because Zoey in it) but the restaurant scene definitely cringing!
    The restaurant scene came off as knowingly cringey I thought. I doubt they'd be doing something similar on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lake Bell, Natasha Lyonne and Katie Cassidy have signed up for guest roles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It's got potential - who have they cast to replace Wayans though? That could make it or break it for me... They need someone just as good to take over the role.

• Advertisement

It's got potential - who have they cast to replace Wayans though? That could make it or break it for me... They need someone just as good to take over the role.

Fan then?....suspected you guys actually watched that show ;)

Advertisement