Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Friday Night Dinner - Friday at 10pm Channel 4

• 21-02-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Starts this Friday on Channel 4 at 10pm.

Stars Tamsin "FRAAAAAAAN" Greig and Simon "Briefcase W*nker Bird, and it was created and written by Robert Popper (who previously worked on Look Around You, Peep Show, The Inbetweeners and The IT Crowd).

Could be worth a look if anything!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Pardon my zinger, but should it not be in the TV forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Whoops..

.. too many forums opened, and posted it the wrong one.

Will ask the mods to move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

tut tut :p

Moved from Films.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tasmin Greig looks different in this

Anyone catch this?

Thought it was moderately funny.. not very LOL, but it has promise.

Matthew "Garth Marenghi" Holness guest starred, and Mark "Brian from Spaced" Heap is also a regular.

I did think the chemistry between the two brothers was just trying too hard to be like "The Inbetweeners" and jokes at the expense of the father being hard-of-hearing wore thin very quickly.

Definitely decent enough to keep me watching another episode.

Full episode is up on 4OD:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its bad news when Tasmin Gregg is now cast as a mother :(:p

Not bad though "Sh1t on it" is pretty poor catch phase., hopefully its not used too much, the creepy neighbour induced clammy hands though his arse grope moment was excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Thought it would've been better, but it's the first episode so I think I'll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Tasmin Greig in rubbish British comedy shocker. :rolleyes:

Green Wing, Episodes and now this, Black Books so long ago sadly.

This despite having the awesome Mark Heap was way to wacky and zany for my liking, especially when you compare it to the splendid Grandma's House which had much more depth and humor than this.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    especially when you compare it to the splendid Grandma's House which had much more depth and humor than this.
    Why even compare it? They're chalk and cheese!

"Grandma's House" was fantastic but far more subdued and wry than this.

This was immature, quite loud, humorous but weak comedy-wise.. but I thought it showed some promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Basq wrote: »
    Why even compare it? They're chalk and cheese!

"Grandma's House" was fantastic but far more subdued and wry than this.

This was immature, quite loud, humorous but weak comedy-wise.. but I thought it showed some promise.

It has a slightly similar premise, with lead character visiting his family of oddballs.

I won't totally give up on this yet as I like Mark Heap and Simon Bird.

It doesn't have Stephen Mangan so its a total lost cause yet.:pac:

• Advertisement

Friday Night Dinner? More like 'Friday Night Leftovers'.

Too many running repeated jokes in the second episode.

Salt in water gag.. check!
    Dad's hard of hearing gag.. check!
    Lecherous neighbour with minimal dialogue.. check!
    "Bambinos".. check!
    "Females?".. check!
    Faked texts from mother's phone.. check!

I was hoping the second episode would be better, but it really wasn't!

There's far worse comedies out there, but at least those comedies try and inject some original humour in episodes as they go on.

2 episodes and we've had 6 - 8 running jokes spread VERY thin!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to agree, running jokes are fine but it wasn't even that, they just remade the first episiode without the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

The sons are pretty crap characters too, Bird is just Will from The Inbetweeners in this and the other brother seems to have no personality.

Last night's episode was a bit better tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Episode 2 seemed almost like the unused footage from Episode 1.

Simon Bird is Will again (and it really looks like he'll be that character no matter where he ends up)

The dad isn't nearly as funny as they're trying to make him about to be. The "he can't hear you" crap is just annoying, its not great comedic material as they seem to think it is. Repeating lines twice, not that funny.

The other brother just annoys me, he's totally devoid of personality and he seems to just to be just there to be annoying.

Mark Heap is great but I feel they're probably going to limit him to intermittant appearances and not get the best out of him.

If it doesn't get any better for Ep 3 or 4, I'll probably give up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it's hilarious actually. Really enjoying it.

This show really hasn't improved over the last few weeks, so I think I'm doing watching it to be honest.

Yep, I have to agree. It's by no means "unmissable" but there's far worse comedies out there.

And the most recent "Mercedes" episode gave me the most laughs so far!

Yeah exactly my thoughts.

It's not that its awful, its just the same thing each week, same jokes in mildly different situations.

It's like they had a funny sketch and now they're trying to make that one sketch work for an entire series.

ah I still think it's very funny. How much do you want it to change? It's a show about a family eating dinner on Friday nights!

• Advertisement

Bump.. last episode tonight.

But it's been given a second season!
    Channel 4 has ordered a second series of Friday Night Dinner.

The comedy, which is still airing its first run, focuses on two young men who return home every Friday night to see their parents.

The cast includes Green Wing stars Tamsin Greig and Mark Heap, Inbetweeners actor Simon Bird, Paul Ritter and Tom Rosenthal.

The show's creator Robert Popper said: "I am so happy to be making a second series of Friday Night Dinner for Channel 4. I can't wait to get writing in the same small room again for eight lonely months, talking to myself at regular intervals and eating far too many biscuits."

Friday Night Dinner had the highest-performing debut episode of a new commissioned sitcom on Channel 4 since 2004 and has continued to do well in the ratings.

The show airs on Fridays at 10pm on Channel 4.
    Source

Great closing episode of the season.. probably the best of the season.

Paul Ritter really pulled out the stops and gave a hell of a performance in that episode.. every time he was on screen, I was laughing - whether it's the inappropriate burping, eating sprigs of parsley or hocking into a napkin.

I think anyone who gave up on it should definitely give it another try.. it got much funnier as it went on. Once you got used to the characters, they little idiosyncrasies became very amusing.

Anyone else got the theme tune stuck in their head?

Though can't find the remixed version they use in the show!

EDIT: Actually found it!

Anyways, looking forward to more next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Great final episode, the funniest yet.

Can't wait for next year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

E4 are repeating the entire season again, it's on just now. Have to say I loved this program, one of the best sitcoms I've seen recently. I'd definitely recommend you check it out if you haven't already!

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/news/a338999/friday-night-dinner-picked-up-for-us-by-office-producer.html

Friday Night Dinner is reportedly getting a US remake on network NBC.
    The Channel 4 sitcom, starring Simon Bird and Tom Rosenthal, will be
    adapted by The Office writer and director Greg Daniels, according to Deadline.
    Daniels will apparently be executive producer of the remake alongside partner Howard Klein, British creator Robert Popper and UK production company Big Talk.
    Debuting in February this year, Friday Night Dinner became Channel 4's highest-performing debut episode of a newly commissioned sitcom since 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i think its a decent comedy but im hoping simon birds new comedy gets picked up for a series. its called chickens and i thought it was a fantastic pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/news/a338999/friday-night-dinner-picked-up-for-us-by-office-producer.html

Friday Night Dinner is reportedly getting a US remake on network NBC.

Lets just hope they do a better job then they did with IT Crowd and Red Dwarf,..

Lets just hope they do a better job then they did with IT Crowd and Red Dwarf,..
    Never watched the US IT Crowd, but with Richard Ayoade and Joel McHale I would have thought it would be pretty good!?

http://www.digitalspy.ie/tv/news/a370634/friday-night-dinner-returning-for-autumn-series-christmas-special.html
    Friday Night Dinner has been confirmed to return for a six-part series later this year and a Christmas special.
    A second run of the Channel 4 sitcom - which stars Tamsin Greig, Simon Bird, Mark Heap, Paul Ritter and Tom Rosenthal - has begun filming in North London and is scheduled to air in the autumn.
    The forthcoming series will introduce Martin's (Ritter) mother, known as 'horrible grandma', and see both Adam (Bird) and Jonny (Rosenthal) start new romances.
    "Having spent the past eight months in almost solitary confinement as I wrote the show, I'm so excited to be out the house again among living human beings," producer Robert Popper quipped.
    "Friday Night Dinner was such a thrill to make last year, and I'm chomping at the bit to start again. And by 'chomping at the bit', I mean I am actually wearing a horse's harness right now, which I am chewing manically, in excitement."
    Channel 4 Comedy commissioning editor Nerys Evans said: "We're delighted we're going to spend some more Friday nights with the Goodmans, we can't wait to find out if Adam has had any luck with the' Females' yet, and if Dad's cooled down enough to start wearing a shirt at dinner. After such a confident and funny first series we can't wait to see more."

:)

• Advertisement

Looking forward to more!

Once it hit it's stride, it was superb!

Advertisement