Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite horror novel?

Options
  • 02-02-2003 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Might be more destined for literature but weh.

I haven't read that many but of the ones I have read, Stephen King - The Stand takes the biscuit. Oh or else Stephen King - Salems Lot. Great books! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I have to say I haven't really read many Horror books per se. Although I am a fan of the Horror genre in film. Dracula wasn't bad and I've read a couple of Stephen King books.

I don't suppose the Ann Rice books are considered horror are they ? I also like Neil Gaiman, again arguably this is often more fantasy than horror.

Has anyone read a book that truely scared the shìte out of them?

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

The First time I read IT by Stephen King. It scared the bejesus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Pick up a copy of "The Dark" by James Herbert; one of the most atmospheric and well written horror novels ever written.

Yeah "It" was class too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I'm starting to read Black House, Kings new novel but it's kinda hard to get into. :(

Anyone read it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

James Herbert's latest books are dross, i wouldn't wipe my ass with them even in an extreme case of diaahrea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Turn of the Screw
    by
    Henry James

anything by Clive Barker

and Desperation by Stephen King, and its companion book The Regulators by Richard Bachman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Jesus, I'd be hard pressed to choose.

Anne Rice's earlier works pretty brilliant, DaveJ.
    But her more recent stuff is just being pulled from her arse.

Clive Barker's is always brilliant.
    I'd say maybe... Cabal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

The older James herbert books did it for me! Rats and the like!

Its so long since i read a horror book, i think the last one was Barney goes to the zoo or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I liked Herbert when I was younger.

Clive Barker does it for me. The Great and Secret Show(is that horror) well any of his book really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Stephen Kings Pet Cemetary, IT, Carrie. Also James Herberts Creed - excellent book.

Has anyone else read any Shaun Hutson ? Good books but WAY WAY over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Any of the Necromancer series from Brian Lumley - now they are what I call vampires.

But the one that had the most effect on me was actually a collection of short stories by Stephen King called nightshift. I read this years ago, and haven't seen it since. There was one story about a guy who turned into a giant slug type thing after drinking from a can of beer "and felt something from inside the can slide down his throat". I actually had problems drinking from cans for a while after reading that - It creeped me out.....

Bio

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Thats why you dring beer outa them little bottles now man!

Yeah I used to read a lot of King and Barker stuff years ago. Though im gone off king! He`s sort of the bill gates of Horror novels these days!

Any thing by Clive Barker or Dean Koontz.
    Stephen King has really gone downhill lately. His latest "From A Buick Eight" was not in the least bit scary acutually it was kinda crap.

Originally posted by BioHazRd
    Any of the Necromancer series from Brian Lumley - now they are what I call vampires.

Dont you mean Necroscope?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

its listed as horror but im not sure

Drawing Blood
    Poppy Z. Brite
    tis a good book

Originally posted by ThenComesDudley
    its listed as horror but im not sure

Drawing Blood
    Poppy Z. Brite
    tis a good book

I've got that myself.
    Haven't gotten around to reading it yet though.

Also got her short story collection 'Self Made Man'.
    That was a bugger to find.
    But jesus! ****ing perverse ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well 'IT' scared the absolute cr4p out me.

Also like the Stephen King collection books, think one was 'Nightmares and dreamscapes??' Not sure

Well it had this story called 'the 9 o' clock ppl' about light smokers being able to see monsters... also one about a finger from a sink was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

well ive liked all her books
    and i have a few on order

but
    i recommend all of these

Drawing Blood
    Exquisite Corpse
    Lost Souls
    Self-made man
    Wormwood (allso Swamp featus if you have the us version)

also not Horror but a great book is
    American Gods
    by Neil Gaiman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Hi all,
    I don't mean to be a horror snob, but if all you are reading is Stephen King et al, you are seriously missing out. Ok, early Stephen King is not bad, The Shining, IT, and some others are pretty good, also Dean Koontz, James Herbert, Shaun Hutson are all good, however I am a huge fan of older novel and short-story writers. Guy de Maupassant, Ambrose Bierce, Robert Howard, Algernon Blackwood, HP Lovecraft, Frank Belknap Long, Sheridan Le Fanu, there are tons of them.
    Best novel I have read in the last few years has to be Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Mostly Stephen King, James Herbert and Dean Koontz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Originally posted by Brerrabbit
    Pick up a copy of "The Dark" by James Herbert; one of the most atmospheric and well written horror novels ever written.

yay hay, i love this thread, I'm a hugh horror/horror book fan also stephen king fan, also like james herbert, dean koontz, and Robert McCammon is brillant also.

Herberts book the dark is very similar to king short story the Mist.
    You should check it out if you liked The Dark brerrabbit.
    King's 'salem's Lot' scared the sh1t out of me when i read it first, but The Stand' has to be my all time favourite. It would be great - I'd spend all my time routing through people things - the nosy person's dream. Everyone is away - where am i going to today.

;) gogo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

rohal dahl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

its not really horror but It is real scary.

Author: Richard Preston
    Title: The Cobra Event

About: The Book is based on Bioterrorism with very scary detail. Its Fiction & brilliant.

Also good books by the same author are:

Hot Zone
    Demon In The Freezer

tks

neo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Count666

I got to agree with you here man, Stephen King is a gateway for the wider world of weird fiction as it used to be known in the halcion days of the 30s Pulp magazines.

The likes of Le Fanu's Carmilla, F. Marrion Crawford's For the Blood is the Life, Clark Ashton Smith, HP Lovecraft, MR James and too many more to mention. All classics that make Mr King look like the Ed Wood of the literary world.

For my part I would have to say Lovecraft is my favourite with At the Mountains of Madness and the Call of Cthulhu, but Carmilla and Through a Glass Darkly in general is superb.

In terms of really make me scared stuff, nothing really does that, but stuff that makes me think like tha above is what gets me going.

Really good one I read recently was I am Legion by Richard Matheson.

Not read much decent lately.

LD

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

The best horror writer I've ever read is MR James.his short stories are seriously scary and you can pick it up for 2 euro in the Classics section of Easons.A close second is Stephen Laws-"Somewhere South of Midnight" and "Chasm" are geat reads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I have read a lot of King, Koontz etc but the only book to *truly* scare the **** out of me was The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson.
    I read it when i was about 14-15 and was actually scared to get out of bed to turn off the light at times. It is so much scarier because it is (aparantly) a true story and is written as such. The thought of Jody's red eyes still makes me shudder....

Pick it up if you get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

"Herberts book the dark is very similar to king short story the Mist.
    You should check it out if you liked The Dark brerrabbit."

thanks gogo I'll check that out (as soon as summer comes around and I have money once more -its been a long moneyless winter for this student). Is it in one of his little foursome anthologies?

"Stephen Laws-"Somewhere South of Midnight" and "Chasm" are geat reads"

Yeah I too was mightily impressed with Laws' stuff but I can't find any more of them in the shops at the moment (And strangely enough the two you mentioned, Sesudra, were the only two of his I have). I particularly enjoyed somewhere south of midnight; that shambolic fleshy thing (its been a while since I read it + I lent it to a mate so apologies for the vagueness) was REALLY menacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I'm inclined to agree with AngelWhore, Anne Rice's earlier stuff was far, far better than her most recent "work"

I also loved Stephen Laws Chasm, nobody seems to really know of him though which is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

Originally posted by Sesudra
    The best horror writer I've ever read is MR James.his short stories are seriously scary and you can pick it up for 2 euro in the Classics section of Easons.

i'm reading this at the moment, its great stuff, very atmospheric and hard to put down once you've started one of the stories (granted they're only 10 or 15 pages long) but they're great!

has MR James written any novels?

Advertisement