Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths jokes!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The Uncyclopedia article on topology is brilliant: http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Topology
    The most common symptom of topology is confusing everyday objects with one another, such as being unable to differentiate between doughnuts and coffee cups, which obviously causes many problems for police officers.
    Topology was discovered by Leonhard Euler, the town drunkard of Königsberg, when he attempted to find his way home after a particularly long night of heavy drinking. After crossing every bridge in town exactly once, he gave up on his search and returned to the bar.

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

proofbe2.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

These tow probably posted already, remeber my maths teacher in college telling us them.

"I'm a mathematician - I have no life, and I can prove it!"

"A mathematician wakes up in the middle of the night to discover his flat is on fire. He spies a fire extingusher on the wall and says "problem solved" and goes back to sleep"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

More from YLYL
    Tallon wrote: »
    eL9CF.jpg
    MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    ^:confused:
    Tallon wrote: »
    When you pay for support, you get it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That WoW one is so funny :D

• Advertisement

When my father died he left me a beautifully crafted hand written quadratic equation.

The funny fecker always told me he was going to leave me "a tidy sum." :(

another from YLYL
    Professor_Awesome.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

Apologies if this joke has already been told!

Two cats are sliding down a roof. Which one falls off first?

The one with the smaller mu.

more shameless robbing

letterproblembox.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

This is more of a physicsy joke, but whatever.. From a friend..

Knock knock

Who's there?

The interrupting coefficient of friction

The interrup-

MUUUUU!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Thunderdrive

Maths is fun :P

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

I do love a good maths joke =D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

An actuary walks into [latex]\bar{a}[/latex]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Get out!

I think it's actually the worst joke in the history of the world.

I think it's actually the worst joke in the history of the world bar none.
    :o

hYlKt.jpg

I'll try and make things worse redeem myself after the awfulness of my last joke. I don't think this one was posted before:

What did Euler find in the toilet?
    A natural log

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

sire_I_did_not_need_that_hypothesis.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Since the physics forum doesn't have a jokes thread, it'll have to do here instead. :D

n4dzlz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

Since the physics forum doesn't have a jokes thread, it'll have to do here instead. :D

n4dzlz.jpg

I saw that earlier today on my FB feed I think, weird =/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

shamelessly stolen from ylyl

cosb.jpg

Seen that just there, was about to repost, hilarious :D

from YLYL

316443_460s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

A mathematician organizes a raffle in which the prize is an infinite amount of money paid over an infinite amount of time. Of course, with the promise of such a prize, his tickets sell like hot cake.
    When the winning ticket is drawn, and the jubilant winner comes to claim his prize, the mathematician explains the mode of payment: "1 dollar now, 1/2 dollar next week, 1/3 dollar the week after that..."

The prize is in the form of the harmonic series, which is of course divergent and therefore the sum of the prizes would go towards infinity, therefore your joke makes no sense.

Yes but assuming the person lives to receive the prize for 80 years they'll have collected about 9 dollars by my calculations. How fast it's diverging is the joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Coincedentally, it grows about as fast as the integral in your sig (if the limits are 1 and x).

Should have just used a P-series with p=2.

Reillyman wrote: »
    Should have just used a P-series with p=2.

Or you could have just said: "oops, silly me".

• Advertisement

Haha, whenever that joke is told it's used with a p=2. How fast it grows isn't the joke, the joke should be that you'll only ever recieve $2. For eg.

"An infinite crowd of mathematicians enters a bar.
    The first one orders a pint, the second one a half pint, the third one a quarter pint...
    The bartender pours two pints."

That joke would be crap if the punchline read, "The barman pours an infinite amount of pints very, very slowly..."

Advertisement