Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experiences/advice with Airsoft Sites.

• 21-08-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

I didn't see a thread here for this but I honestly was motivated to make this post after the course I attended today.

I attended a course in Ashford called 'Hollow Creek airsoft' the course is just off the Dublin-Bray road.
    It was my first time coming to the course and was told by a friend that it was supposed to be good, I honestly didn't find it at all good.
    The Pro's of the course was the fact it was easy to get to, a simple 30 minute drive on the motorway and your there.
    And That's about it.

The Con's of the course were as follows, The over all course itself wasn't decent, there were parts of the course on extremely steep and dangerous hill sides and were paved with large round stones, the fall from it would be about 50 feet in some parts and it was an easy serious injury or fatal injury waiting to happen, I don't know if this is common in courses but I found myself very off put of the course and of the lay out, a team mate of mine chose to go the long way as he is afraid of heights and he was scared to near death by the trail we had to walk, there was no trail that was visible, it was more go in this direction any way possible, the dimensions average were about 10-15 inches wide and not one bit of flat land was present in some parts, narrow steps were common every 6 foot steps.

The cover in the course had rusted nails all over it, though they were bent I was getting snagged on them quite a lot, the nails were still very much dangerous and were on nearly everything I encountered and it was just off putting to go near cover (as weird as it sounds) when nails are sticking out of it.
    The Staff were on and off, I found myself kind of attacked by the lecture given to us about littering as we had done nothing, apparently it was a previous group were messing and I believe we got the hot end of their nail when we got here, I found the marshals to be annoying, during the game they were screaming and shooting (yes during our game beside our cover and they weren't part of the game, as they just walked around, yelled and shot at eachother.) at each other across the match, it was rude, distracting and annoying to constantly hear "I don't want to know what you take from your grandmother".
    The marshals had Walkie Talkies but didn't use them, they insisted on standing beside us in cover and yelling up the hill to other marshals.
    One of our team mates was given a warning by flanking someone who was spawn killing most of our team, we had no "Protection until you hit first cover" it was simple, if you get out of spawn your dead instantly, My team mate who was only attending for the second time was denied a kill because he didn't bang shot a guy, which I was told was more courtesy than a rule, and like I said, second time playing.

This makes little difference but the walk from HQ to the course is a good 5 minute walk up and down hill while the staff took a Jeep and began taunting us for walking which was an order by them since we couldn't eat lunch at the course we had to go back to HQ.
    Last thing was majority of my team was only in for a half day, so on the second half we had 2 very experienced players and a few OK guys, those two were drafted to the enemy team and it was a team of below 18's against over 18's, we were outnumbered, out gunned and out of experience, the marshals apparently also gave out our locations to the enemy to help speed the game along, it was basically lamb to the slaughter.

Guys, I did not have a good time there, maybe you did and I just have a bad day right now, but I would not suggest going to this course.
    The people there who were not part of staff and were just attending, were amazingly nice and fun. I was honestly sad to see them go, along with the fun of the day.

Rating: 2.5/10

Had a good time because of the guys who attended, when they left it was just terrible, I would have rather stayed home and shoot empty Coke cans.

My apologies to who ever is offended by this or if you are a member of staff at Hollow Creek, but I had to just say this, yet again, my apologies.

-AGB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

Sounds like a bad setup onsite. Nails sticking out of cover is just unacceptable. You never mentioned bringing up problems with marshalls, did you do that and what kind if response did you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭AGB_Ghost

Arkslippy wrote: »
    Sounds like a bad setup onsite. Nails sticking out of cover is just unacceptable. You never mentioned bringing up problems with marshalls, did you do that and what kind if response did you get.

Honestly didn't, but I got the impression they didn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

I know you probably didn't think about it, or else you just wanted to get out of there as quick as possible, but sometimes it really does help to tell the staff about the issues.

Believe me I can completely understand that they may have appeared to not give to ****s, but they could just have been having an off day. Don't take me up wrong I have never been to the site, don't know anyone who runs it nor am I defending them, I'm just throwing my opinion in.

Sometimes when you say your bit it might hit home and things could change. If you do nothing then they will just continue on the same path.

In a game if you have a problem with a player, you mention it to a marshal and they sort it out. If you don't say it, the marshal is none the wiser nor is the player.

That's just my opinion anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

In my opinion the best sites are not the ones with the greatest facilities, but rather the best marshalling and organisation.

Sites where cheaters are dealt with, proper chronographing, good rhythm (signed in, geared up and GAME...instead of 45minutes of chat before every game), and clear briefing.

Then comes caliber of player - the regulars define a site; get a bunch of toe rags as your bread and butter, and news will travel fast...and not the good kind of news. However, if your site gets a name for having good, honest and fun loving players, then it tends to put it in peoples favour.

Finally comes facilities, at least in my mind. You could have the greatest site in the world, but unless it's run right, then it is only potential, and nothing is more irritating than wasted potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Yeah, usually I'd ask if someone had said anything to the staff or marshals, but I get the impression in the this case that they probably wouldn't have listened.

I've been in that situation a few times, where the site marshals appeared to be just as big a shower of hyper-aggressive manchildren as the players, and you just cut your losses and leave. Sadly there's a market for that style of site and game, and sure let them at it. Visit more sites, find places you like, stick with those.

• Advertisement

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yeah, usually I'd ask if someone had said anything to the staff or marshals, but I get the impression in the this case that they probably wouldn't have listened.

I've been in that situation a few times, where the site marshals appeared to be just as big a shower of hyper-aggressive manchildren as the players, and you just cut your losses and leave. Sadly there's a market for that style of site and game, and sure let them at it. Visit more sites, find places you like, stick with those.

Guys up at Hellfire in bray are possibly my favorite, marshals are nice, organized, fair, the course is itself is good and it's over all great fun, I also am thinking of going to CQB office block in Tallaght since it's down the road, anyone play office block, if so how is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded

AGB_Ghost wrote: »
    Guys up at Hellfire in bray are possibly my favorite, marshals are nice, organized, fair, the course is itself is good and it's over all great fun, I also am thinking of going to CQB office block in Tallaght since it's down the road, anyone play office block, if so how is it?

We closed The Office Block dude, it got burned down. We are only down the road though in Naas in what is the biggest indoor site in Ireland. Go to http://www.reload.ie for more info.

Mods Steo told me to answer direct questions about our sites ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. But it may have just been the day that was in it. You might go there another day and have the best day of skirmishing yet. But I agree with previous posters, if you can it is a good idea to raise concerns with marshalls. At least it will help improve other players experiences as well as your own.

I usually go to Oakridge, it's close to me so handy. I always have a good time there. Usually the guys that are playing there are spot on and can't fault the marshalling. It is however, speaking as a completely unfit lazy begger, quite a tough site.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tallaght CQB is. There is a thread gone up for it in the sites section.

And will also have to take a trip to Vacant, also quite close to me :D. Sounds great too.

We closed The Office Block dude, it got burned down. We are only down the road though in Naas in what is the biggest indoor site in Ireland. Go to http://www.reload.ie for more info.

Sorry to hear that, I'll check out your Naas course then. :D

Sorry to hear that, I'll check out your Naas course then. :D

Super stuff so dude, I'm sure you'll love it and just to inspire a bit of confidence we have 10 player marshalls (who wear player marshall patches to identify themselves) and averagely 4 high vis marshalls walking around so we catch everyone acting the maggot.

Since membership is in we can also identify the ones that will be a hastle and watch them more than others. Sure anyway I'm looking forward to you visit dude.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/213930401975001/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I told you it was cool to answer questions about your site if asked. It's not cool to promote your alternative site when asked about the Office Block so please stop. If you want to do that then you need to sub up and get a thread in the sites forum. :)

I won't remind you again.

Steve wrote: »
    I told you it was cool to answer questions about your site if asked. It's not cool to promote your alternative site when asked about the Office Block so please stop. If you want to do that then you need to sub up and get a thread in the sites forum. :)

I won't remind you again.

Well now I don't mean to argue with you Steve but he did ask; " anyone play office block, if so how is it? " and the site called The Office Block is/was my site, there is no other site in the country called The Office Block and he was obviously asking about the site we ran but sure anyway fair enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Well now I don't mean to argue with you Steve but he did ask; " anyone play office block, if so how is it? " and the site called The Office Block is/was my site, there is no other site in the country called The Office Block and he was obviously asking about the site we ran but sure anyway fair enough.
    Yeah, accepted, but you answered with a link to your new site. :)

Steve wrote: »
    Yeah, accepted, but you answered with a link to your new site. :)

One day I'm going to win an argument with you :p!

One day I'm going to win an argument with you :p!
    Maybe - I'm up for the challenge :D

Its a bit to late now but tomorrow I'll think of something ;), as long as its not locked in the meantime :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Murphino

Decent feedback about Hollow Creek there mate, just a tip, shorten your posts and separate them into Pros and Cons and more people will read em, I couldn't follow at times but cheers, got the picture. Poor Marshalling is never welcome, ps Redbarn do a good job, was htere last Sat for the first time!! Reccomended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Murphino wrote: »
    Decent feedback about Hollow Creek there mate, just a tip, shorten your posts and separate them into Pros and Cons and more people will read em, I couldn't follow at times but cheers, got the picture. Poor Marshalling is never welcome, ps Redbarn do a good job, was htere last Sat for the first time!! Reccomended

Why not do a review from the perspective of the first time visitor ? Most people are familiar with most sites, but it's generally first impressions that last and a fresh view is always to be welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I don't mean to be cynical about this thread, because it could be a very good thing for new people, but, this might be a very one sided thread in many ways.

We've seen on many an occasion that Boards as a commercial entity need to shelter themselves from all possible lawsuits, which is why some retailers/individuals are never mentioned on this site.

I am not saying this from a boards bashing point of view, just, I can certainly see some posts in future being edited or flat out deleted to avoid any potential slander cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

As long as you are purely offering your experience of what happened on your own visit and classify it as opinion, I don't see the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nabster

to be honest this is very one sided so i think i shall put in my own experience. yes this place has nails and narrow paths and yes it is built on the side of a hill but that is part of the complexity of the course and is what i think makes it a worthwhile course. im sick to death of going in and seeing huts on open playing fields its too easy and im not just talking about airsoft paintball aswell. answer me this who wants to play in an open feild that you can be seen in all directions, "hollow creek" is for lack of a better word enclosed, as in its open enough to play on but enclosed enough to hide and manover without being seen. i would also like to point out that the impression i got from being there this place is only new and has not yet reached its full potential, how long has it been open compared to all of the other airsoft arenas? give it time for all we know there could be plans for bigger development in tearms of cover that have nails sticking out. as for the marshels chances are there only trainen to be marshels and sont know how to use walkie talkies :-p

nabster

also i would like to add im dislexik so dont comment on how bad my selling is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

@nabster: Two obvious points in reply to your post: 1) Irrespective of how old/new the site is there shouldn't be any exposed nails anywhere as they are a very clear danger to the airsofters who have paid money to play there; 2) my impression from reading the first post is that the OP went on some sort of training course/boot camp (I could be wrong on this), if that is the case shouldn't the course have been delivered by experienced marshals who actually know what they're doing?

I've never been to Hollow Creek but I'm sure I will at some point so I have no axe to grind with them, but the fact that this was your first post might suggest you have some connection to the site and you only registered to defend them? I think the first post was fair & objective, the OP outlined the issues he had with the course/site instead of just badmouthing like so many others choose to do.

yes there shudnt be any nails and yes there probly shud have been better marshels but no i am not ascosiated with them in anyway. ive played there twice and when i went to find them on facebook one of there members posted a link on there own pages that i happend to see and i went to check it out this happend to be the link and i was shocked to see such negitivity towards the course

nabster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Decoy

nabster wrote:
    yes there shudnt be any nails and yes there probly shud have been better marshels

nabster wrote:
    i was shocked to see such negitivity towards the course

Why so shocked when you posted the quote above in the same post??

This is a relatively new site which I'm told by friends who played there that it has very good potential. I'm also told by these same friends that they won't go back until some basic issues are sorted, these issues are solely around safety & marshalling so it's not the first time I have heard the same complaints about this site. As an airsofter I want this site to succeed but it will only do so if they listen to the feedback they are getting from the people who play there. The required improvements won't happen overnight, the best sites in the country didn't open in the state they are now, but there needs to be signs that the issues are actually being addressed rather than the paranoid "they're out to get us" moaning that seems to be coming out of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well its enough to make sure I don't go there anyway ..........

Thats sounds crap

Decoy wrote: »
    Why so shocked when you posted the quote above in the same post??

im shocked because it is a good course and it will get better over time i recon.

nabster

One thing that does have to be sorted is the attitude of staff, may have been a bad day to them, but there is no excuse for treating your customers with no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

Oarkridge - Good marshaling, and so far I've had no issues with other players. Aside from the area being thick with nettles and thistles(Some people don't like that, I don't really care) I can't find any fault with the site itself. The main reason I like it is that there's very little delay between games. Maybe 15 minutes every now and then to refill mags and stuff, but usually just 5 minutes or less between games.

HRTA - Good site, although honestly I preferred the old one. Delay between games isn't too long, but it could go faster. My fault with HRTA is the players, little to no cooperation(In fact one guy told me to shut up when I tried to discuss strategy before a game started), some of the older players were very aggressive when they think they shot people who didn't call hits(Sometimes they did get hit, sometimes they didn't) and then some people genuinely didn't call hits. The only fault I can find in the marshaling is that they can take the word of a regular over the word of a newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Haelium wrote: »
    HRTA - Good site, although honestly I preferred the old one. Delay between games isn't too long, but it could go faster. My fault with HRTA is the players, little to no cooperation(In fact one guy told me to shut up when I tried to discuss strategy before a game started), some of the older players were very aggressive when they think they shot people who didn't call hits(Sometimes they did get hit, sometimes they didn't) and then some people genuinely didn't call hits. The only fault I can find in the marshaling is that they can take the word of a regular over the word of a newbie.
    As a marshall and regular player at HRTA, I'd like to thank you for your feedback,
    it will be taken on board :) But as we always say, if you've an issue with anything, bring it up with us on the day, during a game or after, we're more than happy to take in any and all feedback. Hope to see you at HRTA again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement