Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tourism Projects - Fenit & Lee Valley

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've walked the line in the past few months and from what I've seen, the problem is with landowners actually appropriating sections of it!

In one instance, the occupiers of the former levelcrossing cottage near the Spa have covered over a section of the track, rails and all, and used it to extend their garden and driveway. Elsewhere, a farmer is using part of the line to store silage.

I would hazard a guess that these are the same people taking every opportunity to object strenuously to this project.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Quackster wrote: »
    I've walked the line in the past few months and from what I've seen, the problem is with landowners actually appropriating sections of it!

In one instance, the occupiers of the former levelcrossing cottage near the Spa have covered over a section of the track, rails and all, and used it to extend their garden and driveway. Elsewhere, a farmer is using part of the line to store silage.

I would hazard a guess that these are the same people taking every opportunity to object strenuously to this project.. :mad:

Is the track still there?

IE lifted sections of the track early in the year but most of it is still in situ.

IE lifted sections of the track early in the year but most of it is still in situ.

Will that be lifted when they restart work on the walkway?

I assume that it will be lifted should work recommence as that's what IE have previously stated they intend to do. I'd say the scrap value of the iron would more than pay for the lifting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Hey Quackster,

Just out of interest, was there anyone blocking the part of the line before the Fenit line branches off ?

If so someone's lawyers need to get a finger out. Afaik there was optic fiber laid on the line to limerick, I would say the last thing some phone company want is someone claiming the now own a couple of meters of it :)

It seems that the Steam Train is getting a cash boost to be put back on the rails again with £220,000 to be invested in the railway for next year.

A new halt is being opened in the new eco/wetlands park and and the steam engine being restored to work on 'bio mass' fuel.

choo choo

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

That's great! I know there is a good bit of interest in the train from railway enthusiasts from all over the world, so this is news that's certainly worth spreading. Do you have any source that I could cite or more information on that matter? I saw the original loco running once in 2006 shortly after arriving in Tralee (me, not the train :)) and would love to see it coming back.

Word of mouth,
    Will try to get a source for it tho,

kingdumb wrote: »
    Hey Quackster,

Just out of interest, was there anyone blocking the part of the line before the Fenit line branches off ?

If so someone's lawyers need to get a finger out. Afaik there was optic fiber laid on the line to limerick, I would say the last thing some phone company want is someone claiming the now own a couple of meters of it :)

The double line from Rock St to the split is intact but shortly after the split, another individual has cannibalised a section of the Limerick line to extend their back garden. They are aided by the fact that there is a break in the line beside their house where an overbridge was removed years ago.

I know ESAT laid an underground fibre optic cable along the line back in the late 90s but I don't know what the current status of that cable is because there's no evidence of its existence visible on the ground now as far as I can see.

IE have shown a complete disregard for defending what is state property. It's a national scandal that needs airing. :mad:

• Advertisement

Was chatting to someone today who told me IE had a surveyor down recently marking out the route of the fibre optic cable along the double line section to prevent it being damaged when the track along there is taken up.

I also hear that one of the chief objectors in the Fenit area has been prominent in the Fenit Island right-of-way protests. Oh, the irony!

Was chatting to someone today who told me IE had a surveyor down recently marking out the route of the fibre optic cable along the double line section to prevent it being damaged when the track along there is taken up.

I also hear that one of the chief objectors in the Fenit area has been prominent in the Fenit Island right-of-way protests. Oh, the irony!

Thank you, that's good news indeed. I hope they are not only after the scrap metal. But works progressing is always a good sign...
    BTW: The thread re Fenit Castle can be found here. There are some interesting pieces of information in there...

I was wondering about that, but ICE/Esat should be more worried about folk claiming ownership of the land that the fiber is on, you the might end up paying tolls on the packets !

I heard similar, we got to protect our right to walk on public land*

*except where there is a chance that I can extend my garden onto said public land.

I was wondering about that, but ICE/Esat should be more worried about folk claiming ownership of the land that the fiber is on, you the might end up paying tolls on the packets !

I heard similar, we got to protect our right to walk on public land*

*except where there is a chance that I can extend my garden onto said public land.[/QUOT

Has there been any more progess to turn the tralee to fenit rail line into a walk and cycle path?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

That is f'in hillarious.

All he has to say is that he put up the fence in order to stop drug dealers, rats and pedophiles.

Case closed !

Has the walkway been build already?

There is a walk tomorrow [Sunday 23rd] in support of the Tralee to Fenit pathway.

walk_the_line_poster_web.jpg

Thanks, I'll be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Hi fenit line people..
    a word of advice from an old southern trail campaigner..
    The whole line needs to be walked regularly just to show to the objectors that ye guys arent just a flash in the pan brigade..get the media on board and public representatives.. DONT GIVE UP.. in the end it will be worth it..

Hey Trail_man

It wasn't only the Fenit line that was walked but the other end of the Great Southern Trail.

The weather was shocking on Sunday, but the was still a good turnout with is a great sign, there was a few local representatives, local media and even one of the main objectors.
    The same objector had been busy in the previous days building no less than 3 mounds of earth, stones and branches, each about 2 meters high !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Hey Trail_man

It wasn't only the Fenit line that was walked but the other end of the Great Southern Trail.

The weather was shocking on Sunday, but the was still a good turnout with is a great sign, there was a few local representatives, local media and even one of the main objectors.
    The same objector had been busy in the previous days building no less than 3 mounds of earth, stones and branches, each about 2 meters high !

well done on the walk..
    we spent 20yrs trying to get the limerick side of the trail done..dont get disheartened.. we also had farmers putting up barricades that would put beechers brook to shame..Talk to the guy.. work with him..and around him if you get my drift..nothing worth having comes easy..

Advertisement