Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&H Fitness Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

ffs missed training this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

ffs missed training this morning

How come?

Slept in :pac:
    Training was for 9, got to sleep around 3:40, and I'm still knackered after the walk :p
    Anyway I went for a jog in the rain at 12 so I'm not feeling too guilty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I went for an hour walk. Wow it feels rewarding :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've cycled about 700km since the end of May, and then mid way through June I decided to do 20-30 pressups a day as I've not been in the gym since early May(I only go while in college and I had exams and stuff). I don't really need motivation as I like being outside and I live in a nice rural area with quiet lanes.

I think I potentially kept weight off that I might have gained from the extra eating I seem to do at home, hey I don't have to pay for it here :pac:

And I've noticed an increase in fitness/strength too. From my earlier post I still recommend cycling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I've cycled about 700km since the end of May, and then mid way through June I decided to do 20-30 pressups a day as I've not been in the gym since early May(I only go while in college and I had exams and stuff). I don't really need motivation as I like being outside and I live in a nice rural area with quiet lanes.

I think I potentially kept weight off that I might have gained from the extra eating I seem to do at home, hey I don't have to pay for it here :pac:

And I've noticed an increase in fitness/strength too. From my earlier post I still recommend cycling!
    I always liked cycling, but then got lazy as my area wasn't really suited for cycling more then 4 miles at a time without doing circuits which gets boring. Also, there is one long downhill and one long uphill on any route I could do which is quite the b8tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Doing a ton of cycling around the city the last few days. The system here is so brilliant. They basically have roads for bikes.It's so easy in comparison with Ireland. Of course a lot of the benefit is being negated by the whole four nights out in a row thing.

Doing a ton of cycling around the city the last few days. The system here is so brilliant. They basically have roads for bikes.It's so easy in comparison with Ireland. Of course a lot of the benefit is being negated by the whole four nights out in a row thing.
    Where are you outta interest? Holland?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Where are you outta interest? Holland?

Yep, Amsterdam. The emphasis on bikes is so great here. The only disorientating thing is that mopeds/scooters are allowed on the cycle-lanes too. And Smart Cars. There have been some nervy late night cycles thanks to that. But in general it's brilliant. So simple to get around the place.

Yep, Amsterdam. The emphasis on bikes is so great here. The only disorientating thing is that mopeds/scooters are allowed on the cycle-lanes too. And Smart Cars. There have been some nervy late night cycles thanks to that. But in general it's brilliant. So simple to get around the place.

The cycling system is deadly, isnt it? There cycle paths are so developed. Really impressive!

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I always liked cycling, but then got lazy as my area wasn't really suited for cycling more then 4 miles at a time without doing circuits which gets boring. Also, there is one long downhill and one long uphill on any route I could do which is quite the b8tch.

Yeah circuits bore me too! I try to avoid that at all costs.

As for hills, Where I live you turn left and go down a hill, turn right and go up a hill. There's no way of escaping them, just get up them as quick as possible before they get boring and try and go faster than you did the last time on the way down. Works for me anyway!

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Yeah circuits bore me too! I try to avoid that at all costs.

As for hills, Where I live you turn left and go down a hill, turn right and go up a hill. There's no way of escaping them, just get up them as quick as possible before they get boring and try and go faster than you did the last time on the way down. Works for me anyway!
    Its kinda hard to explain if you don't know my area, but the downhill would account for half the 3 mile long circuit and the uphill for the other half. So downhill, you are using very little effort, and it isn't suited for too much speed because of lots of roundabouts and traffic lights, and then the uphill is horribly steep until you really bring your fitness up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

The cycling system is deadly, isnt it? There cycle paths are so developed. Really impressive!

A paradox :cool:

So, yeah! Fitness... I'm 13 and a half stone now. I'm up nearly 3 stone since about a year ago because sixth year was evil, and probably down a lot of muscle! :( I can now hardly do 15 or 20 push ups. All this will change once college starts and I'm living very much within walking distance of the gym. Can't weight to get going!! :P

Getting my gym membership in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A paradox :cool:

So, yeah! Fitness... I'm 13 and a half stone now. I'm up nearly 3 stone since about a year ago because sixth year was evil, and probably down a lot of muscle! :( I can now hardly do 15 or 20 push ups. All this will change once college starts and I'm living very much within walking distance of the gym. Can't weight to get going!! :P

Freudian slip?

Cycled about 65km today from our house to the beach, there and back. But we had a party in our house afterwards, so it's all been worthless!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Cycled 90km today (on my own), then ate half of a large oven pizza which ruined it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Been thinking of trying mountain biking or windsurfing even though I have zero experience in either! My goal is to drop my jeans size down 2 sizes this year, hopefully between the extra exercise and student diet I'll make it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i usually go running
    but i've been sick the past two weeks which has stopped me from doing it. Going to be so unfit when i start again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Going for a fitness test in my martial arts club tonight.

9 minutes jogging, 100 situps, 100 star-jumps, 40 knees to chest, 30 push-ups and 100 squats.

I managed nearly all of these 3 weeks ago, so hopefully I'll get through them all again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

9 minutes jogging, 100 situps, 100 star-jumps, 40 knees to chest, 30 push-ups and 100 squats.

I managed nearly all of these 3 weeks ago, so hopefully I'll get through them all again tonight.

Whats the significance of jogging for exactly 9 minutes???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Whats the significance of jogging for exactly 9 minutes???

The running time increases as we go up along the grades. It's 15 minutes at a faster pace for black belts, 12 for brown, 9 for blue and purple, 7 for green and red, and I think five minutes at yellow and white belt level.

It's just a minimum guideline though. Everyone should be able to run longer than that. It's doing all the other exercises after the jog that makes things tougher!

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Been thinking of trying mountain biking or windsurfing even though I have zero experience in either! My goal is to drop my jeans size down 2 sizes this year, hopefully between the extra exercise and student diet I'll make it :D

Mountain biking is a lot of fun! I've done it for 8-9 months now. One thing though, get a good bike, My brakes broke one day I went off-roading( the first time ) and I ended up going down a very steep hill without being able to stop, It was fun though :D

But It's always nice to know you can stop if you need to!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

:eek: Would definitely not be able for that! Can barely do 5 push-ups :o , never mind all the rest (could manage the 9 minutes jogging, that's it!)

I ran 5km today, in 30:24 - now my legs hurt and I probably won't exercise for the next 3-4 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The running time increases as we go up along the grades. It's 15 minutes at a faster pace for black belts, 12 for brown, 9 for blue and purple, 7 for green and red, and I think five minutes at yellow and white belt level.

It's just a minimum guideline though. Everyone should be able to run longer than that. It's doing all the other exercises after the jog that makes things tougher!

O_o
    What else do black belts have to do?

Mega Chin wrote: »
    O_o
    What else do black belts have to do?

Something like 150 sit-ups, 150 squats, 50 or 60 press-ups, 50 knees to chest, about 200 star-jumps. Gradings done over 3 consecutive days. Mat safety, unrehearsed weapons and other attack defences, coaching the younger classes and many other things come into it as well at the top grades.

My push-ups still need a lot of work, but I flew through everything else! \o/

My push-ups still need a lot of work, but I flew through everything else! \o/

Well done, fair play.

Starting my 'clean' diet tomorrow. How many times have I said that? This is the time though. Even made a 100 euro bet with a friend that I will last longer than him. His record is six weeks, mine is three days.

I'm going to win though. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

I love keeping healthy, it's brilliant for your mind as well as the physical benefits :) Boxing is something I am really passionate about, and it's only when I finish do I think, "wow, that was some workout!"... my advice to anyone looking for something to do regarding their fitness? Try everything and make sure it's something you enjoy. For instance, I did kickboxing for a while but it just wasn't for me and as a result I didn't put as much work in as I do with boxing...
    I tend to have weekends where I just laze about and eat junk food, but I'm happy with where I'm at regarding my fitness level - I'm a lot better than I was three or four years ago, when I had no real physical outlet in my life and I ate all the time. :)

Now, can anyone help me with my problem - building up stamina for fights? I know people say practise is everything but what sort of exercises should I be doing? :)

Advertisement