Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bicycle registration at Garda station?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed a poster on a local shop window that the Bridewell Garda station in Dublin 7 has a new scheme on whereby you can register your bike with them. I guess in the event of a theft where they recover it they can return it. Anyone done this? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

oh god :mad: i can see this becoming a new way to make money for the government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Probably the last free frontier of transport, hopefully the bureaucrats don't get a hold of this one. Is VAT on a bike not enough for them ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is something that's long overdue. Combined with the recent Flickr stream of stolen bikes, it looks like they might be finally starting to take the stolen bike issue somewhat seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Which is the last thing this country needs, eh? Stupid government with its stupid plans to make a few quid. Let's call them out!

(Also, I don't agree with you. The general admin costs of such schemes always outweigh any earnings.* However, there may be a financial benefit in doing this, in that it saves costs elsewhere; specifically, HR costs associated with processing stolen bike reports, running the bike auction, etc. So maybe, though it won't make money for 'the government', it might actually reduce unnecessary expenditure. But I suppose that's not a country you want to live in.)

*Edit: I didn't mean to suggest that there would be a cost for this, and as others have said below, no charge has been mentioned anywhere yet. I was responding to the posts that automatically assumed there would be a cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Why exactly are we expected to pay extra for the bike serial number to be typed into a computer?

Surely the Guard behind the desk is on the clock and would be there anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think this is a good idea and welcome it. The OP hasn't mentioned a charge so why are you guys knocking it so quickly? I think you should know the full facts before you mention assumptions. Even if it was a few euros, who here wouldn't pay it, knowing they have some sort of evidence with the guardaí that the bike is theirs and also that the guardaí could in the event of the recovery your stolen pride and joy actually be able to contact you?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Good idea, but should be national and should already be in place like in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

FFS... calm down, calm down!

voices_scousers_200x150.jpg

I don't believe there's a charge for the service. I'll call into the station tomorrow if I get a chance and try find out more info. Just thought I'd check here if anyone else had and also let people know about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

this would generally be a great idea (if free) but you have to remember one important fact....we are living in ireland so its going to go horribly wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Dord wrote: »
    FFS... calm down, calm down!

voices_scousers_200x150.jpg

+1

Have no doubt this will be free-what other services are you charged for (as distinct from charged with) in a Garda Station? I would hazard it's a local initiative most probably started by the Community Policing unit.

As Captain Havoc says at least they have your details if your nearest and dearest is stolen so what's to lose? I hope it's successful because if it is it will most likely be rolled out elsewhere.

If anybody is cagey about this I could even answer another doubt that some might have-any information you might give will not be used for any other reason.

Hope this helps (No, I'm not stationed in the Bridewell and this is the first I've heard of this too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

I think this is a good idea and welcome it. The OP hasn't mentioned a charge so why are you guys knocking it so quickly? I think you should know the full facts before you mention assumptions. Even if it was a few euros, who here wouldn't pay it, knowing they have some sort of evidence with the guardaí that the bike is theirs and also that the guardaí could in the event of the recovery your stolen pride and joy actually be able to contact you?

Aren't we already paying taxes for exactly this ?

What next; a callout charge before the Fire Brigade respond to a 999 call ?

Imagine how motorists would respond if they were asked for an extra charge before the Garda would respond to a car theft !

I'm all for a registration scheme for bikes; as a way of making them more easily traceable if they were stolen; but the idea of an extra charge for it is unacceptable

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

fishfoodie wrote: »
    Aren't we already paying taxes for exactly this ?

What next; a callout charge before the Fire Brigade respond to a 999 call ?

Imagine how motorists would respond if they were asked for an extra charge before the Garda would respond to a car theft !

I'm all for a registration scheme for bikes; as a way of making them more easily traceable if they were stolen; but the idea of an extra charge for it is unacceptable

I think the point is that you don't go to the garda station and say "my bike was stolen, it is a blue bicycle" but you can go and say "my bike was stolen, the frame number is 12345, I registered it here six months ago" and the gardaí can verify that the bike has been in your possesion for six months. Motorists do pay to have a vehicle registered, so I don't see what point you are trying to make there. My understanding of the OP is you go to this garda station when you buy a new bike, you fill out some details, I would assume this would be the model, frame number and distinquishing features and if it gets stolen, the gardaí have all the details on file and can verify it. I doubt the gardaí would be able to much if you reported a red Specialized Allez stolen and that's all the details you gave them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

I think this is a great idea if it is done properly. There should not be a charge for this scheme but it can see some costs involved as the current Garda computer system can only allow information to inputted in regard to property that is stolen, lost or damaged, so I imagine this system may take the form of a paper record at first. The Garda taking the information is on the clock anyway but as I said it may need a new system, so new costs there.

This system may help clear the amount of recovered bikes the Gardai have to store while the owner remains unaware the bike has been found, which will reduce costs. Speaking as someone, with little or no knowledge of bikes, I guess the register would make it so much quicker and easier to reunite owners with their bikes. This will be interesting to see how it works :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think this sounds like a good idea and something I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee (€5?) for, especially if they roll out nationwide or at least in the larger towns and cities and if insurance companies knocked a bit of the premium for insuring the bike if you registered it.

Dog chipping and property traceback services all charge a lot more than the Guards would likely charge.

Plus the wider the take up the more likely the Guards would run the serial numbers of recovered bikes. It'd be nice to get a call to say the bike you thought had gone forever had been recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Seems like a great idea to me. At the moment the guards get hold of a stolen bike and most of the time they just store is wherever they keep them between auctions because people don't bother reporting them stolen. It would be great for US and for THEM if they could look up a computer and ring the registered owner to come around and collect it.

There's no mention anywhere that this is compulsory or that there's a cost. Some people really need to untwist their knickers and read a bit more carefully before they jump to conclusions. Even if there was a cost of a few euro such a service would be well worth it, and if you don't like that then you don't have to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

It's a FREE service.

I called into the Bridewell today to check it out. It's a very simple A4 page for you to fill in your contact details, the make, colour, model and serial no. of the bike and a section for other distinguishing features. You can attach a photo too. The bottom of the form has a section for a Garda file no., registration date and who registered it.

When I went in to the public office, the Garda on call took down a large folder with the forms in it. From reading over his shoulder not many people have taken up the offer yet, but I told him I'd publicise it, he said that it would make identifying owners easier and he was all for it.

It may also be helpful who have their bikes insured on their house insurance to be able to inform their underwriter that the bicycle is registered with the Gardai. Maybe it will lead to lower premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Ring 01- 6668200 for info on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Any professional thief will remove / change the frame number or strip down the bike and sell off key components. The scheme is usless unless it incorporates some form of data tagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ali4europe

Today i decided to check out this scheme for myself and register my bike with the Bridewell. It only took 2 minutes and it was FREE. The Guard asked me for afew details like the serial number and a good description. The form was easy to fill out and he did it for me. I didnt have a photo with me but if you want you can bring one and they will stick it to the sheet. the guard was saying that the scheme was only up and running afew weeks and they are hoping that it will take off. He said they have a load of bikes unclaimed and this will hopefully help them to get them back to there owners. i suppose the more bikes they have registered the better chance they have of it becoming a National thing. (we dont get much FREE things anymore so its all good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JoeDublin24

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I don't like anonymus websites with no information on the people who run it or at least a contact phone number or an email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Here are all the bikes I own and here is my address anonymous website.

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Yeah. Complete joke of a site.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Spammers get banned around here

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Is there any way to get an online version of the form? So you can just go straight in with forms and photos all filled out. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Is the scheme in the Bridewell just based for that area or Dublin wide? Can I register my bike there if it's not my local Garda station?

And what do people think of these 'cycle packs'?

http://www.cyclesure.ie/index.php/about_us/register_your_bike/
    The System
    The cycle marking and registration system is founded on three simple yet highly effective procedures: marking, registration and verification.
    Marking: Cycles are permanently and visibly marked with a unique code and the 24/7 freephone number of the ISR, 1800 936 496.
    Registration: The marking and registration system is offered along with your insurance policy. If selected, your cycle will be registered automatically on the ISR by CycleSure.
    Verification: Once marked and registered, an item can be verified by the ISR 24/7. The verification service is available to the police, insurers and even the general public. Only the police are able to obtain personal information. Another method of checking a marked and registered cycle is to enter the unique code on the site: www.ISRcodecheck.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Good question, does anyone know if this has been rolled out to other Garda stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Phoned the Bridewell and they said strictly speaking it's just for their area. They said to try my local Garda station, so I phoned them and unfortunately they don't have a similar registration system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Six of One wrote: »
    Phoned the Bridewell and they said strictly speaking it's just for their area. They said to try my local Garda station, so I phoned them and unfortunately they don't have a similar registration system.
    sounds like the system is useless then unless its both registered and recovered at the bridewell station, cos the other ones are not all going to ring the bw to see if its on their books. typical Irish solution :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

kenmc wrote: »
    sounds like the system is useless then unless its both registered and recovered at the bridewell station, cos the other ones are not all going to ring the bw to see if its on their books. typical Irish solution :(

Agreed, complete waste of time and effort unless its an accessible nationwide database/iniative. Half arsed. Compliments to those at the BW though, but you would have thought that some sort of national directive instigated it, or maybe not.

Advertisement