Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoegaze

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭mosstin

indiewindy wrote: »
    I was at that gig, it was excellent, nearly fullv in a nice venue, got all the classics, didnt like the clown heckler at the back though. Picked up his book black postcards after the gig, one of the best music autobiographies that I have read. Wouldnt hold out any hope of a reunion

Damon & Naomi are on record - sorry - as saying that there won't be a reunion. Too much tension. Black Postcards is a fine read though - written as wryly as a Galaxie 500/Luna/Dean & Britta lyric. Great to see some Galaxie 500 love on here.

That's why I said "20 years on". We can all reminisce about what was or wasn't part of the scene back then - I'm certainly doing enough of that :) - but "scenes" become irrelevant with time and what's left is the recorded output. To someone listening to that output today, with no knowledge of who were or weren't scenesters, I think musically they would find Galaxie 500 a fairly comfortable fit - more so than a lot of Pale Saints' output or even Moose's even though they were supposedly the original "shoegaze" band.

That doesn't make Galaxie 500 shoegazers, but it does make them relevant to a thread about shoegazers.

Well whatever gets people turned on to Galaxie 500 is fine by me even if I'd never associate them with shoegaze. On Fire is a relentlessly beautiful record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My first exposure to Galaxie 500 was reading a 12 dice review of On Fire in Hot Press in 1989.

Caught them at Manchester Uni in February 1990 supporting The Sundays who were on the Reading, Writing and Arithmetic tour. A pretty intense experience.

We were supposed to head down to The Sundays in London a couple of days later but had to go back to Ireland. Pity - because 'Arriet 'ad a sore throat so gig in Kentish Town was called off and the Galaxies played instead in the Camden Falcon. Supposed to be a blinder.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    My first exposure to Galaxie 500 was reading a 12 dice review of On Fire in Hot Press in 1989.

Caught them at Manchester Uni in February 1990 supporting The Sundays who were on the Reading, Writing and Arithmetic tour. A pretty intense experience.

We were supposed to head down to The Sundays in London a couple of days later but had to go back to Ireland. Pity - because 'Arriet 'ad a sore throat so gig in Kentish Town was called off and the Galaxies played instead in the Camden Falcon. Supposed to be a blinder.

As were most of their gigs by all accounts. You had to read the live reviews through an Everett True filter though. Before he, ahem, discovered Nirvana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

I was privileged to see Galaxie 500 a few times. The oddest being on a double bill with the Cocteau Twins which was supposed to take place in a theatre in Baltimore, Maryland... but a couple days before the gig a burglar accidentally burnt the place down and it was rescheduled for a high school auditorium. Where we were all sat on folding chairs. The ambience left something to be desired :D Both bands made the most of it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

The Dean Wareham gig in the Workmans Club was amazing. Just to see him finally playing those songs live was a great experience. Good to see a big enough crowd there as well. I grabbed Britta's set list/song notes from the stage at the end.

I guess my user name is a nod to the band!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

Broken Little Sister as an tSeapain. Some really good guitar sounds on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

Ulrich Schnauss - Gone Forever.

I saw him playing a few years ago in the sugar club. Quite good it was. The visuals were great. He has some great chord progressions, very unusual sounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Interesting discussion I've just discovered as a Boards.ie newbie and original shoegazer!

Galaxie 500 as 'proto-shoegazers' ? Definitely!

Moose were hugely under-rated. Their early stuff was the fine noise of buzzsaw guitars before they went all jangly.

Another name to throw into the pot. Who remembers Spirea X?

From Glasgow and an offshoot of Primal Scream, this tune, Chlorine Dream, hints - at least in part - towards shoegaze.

Although as Scots they were never going to be lumped in with the Thames Valley shoegazers (Ride, Chapterhouse, Slowdive) there's a lovely dream pop vibe to them.

I had Fireblade Skies on vinyl but quickly moved it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Shoegaze mixed with trip-hop anyone? Bowery Electric are all kinds of awesome. Grab their 1996 album Beat.

2012 so far has been a very dry year for new shoegaze releases compared to the last few years. The best album I've heard is Pipe Dreams by Whirr but it's still far from being a great album.

This song is pretty good however

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Shoegaze mixed with trip-hop anyone? Bowery Electric are all kinds of awesome. Grab their 1996 album Beat.

Thanks for this, Zero.

My shoegazer street cred has gone out the window as Bowery Electric somehow passed me by.

It's certainly good stuff and I'll look up the Beat album. This is what the hipsters back in the day would have dubbed 'shoe-tronica' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

Not sure Loop could have been considered Shoegaze but much of their stuff up to and including the album Heaven's End wasn't far from it - albeit a little dark. One of the few bands I travelled for and whose sounds frequently accompanied my getting very familiar with my shoes...:p

From album 'The World in Your Eyes'

From 'Heaven's End'

Loop's LP A Gilded Eternity was great. Two slabs of heavy heavy wax.

I saw them at McGonagles in December 1990. Therapy? supported.

Here's a photo from the gig - by Karl Burke.

Loop-Duiblin-XXXXAA146-27.jpg

I was there:D

Here's a bunch I came across a year ago or so. They're American - which perturbs me a it when I think of Shoegazing - but, in fairness, they can knock out a good tune or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Is it any wonder they were considered carpetbaggers to begin with

Of course, per Mr. Agreeable, the scene was called 'shoegaze' coz they needed to look at their hands to find the chords :D

Again, not strictly shoegaze, but certainly of the spirit. Kitchens of Distinction?

I remember a spur-of-the-moment trip to Dublin from Belfast to see them in McGonagle's back in '91, supported by Whipping Boy. A criminally ignored band, the Kitchens.

Again, not strictly shoegaze, but certainly of the spirit. Kitchens of Distinction?

I remember a spur-of-the-moment trip to Dublin from Belfast to see them in McGonagle's back in '91, supported by Whipping Boy. A criminally ignored band, the Kitchens.

great band. I adore the first two LPs. They played TCD in '89 if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I was at that too! Deadly gig. Thanks for posting, nlgbbbblth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Great thread some music here I ain't familiar with..my favourite kind!:cool:
    Never considered shoegaze as a genre..some bands in this list surprised me by their inclusion e.g Blonde Redhead/Spiritualized but they are I guess when you think about it.I like shoegaze I do!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shoegazing_musicians

Killed By 9V Batteries - great name I just had to check them out on utube!

cranks wrote: »
    Not sure Loop could have been considered Shoegaze but much of their stuff up to and including the album Heaven's End wasn't far from it - albeit a little dark. One of the few bands I travelled for and whose sounds frequently accompanied my getting very familiar with my shoes..
    Loop were an incredible band, their music is as trippy as hell. They were more of a neo-psychedelic/space-rock band in the vein of Spacemen 3 but definitely an influence on shoegazing. Heaven's End is my favourite album of theirs, especially 'Forever' and 'Fix To Fall', but Fade Out and A Gilded Eternity are both amazing albums too.

At the psychedelic end of shoegaze.
    Fuxa2000 & Supercharged albums worth a listen

More recent release

Fovourite cover-shoegaze?, favourite cover-shoegaze?, favourite cover=shoegaze?, faovurite cover..............
    I'll go with shoegaze

^ Their cover of Suede's 'The Drowners' is pretty awesome.

Flying Saucer Attack were an amazing band, it's a real shame they're not around anymore. By favourite album by them is Further, which has a really eerie and atmospheric feel to it.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Flying Saucer Attack were an amazing band, it's a real shame they're not around anymore.

I was a latecomer to FSA. Some wonderful stuff but some tough going stuff too IMO. I recall John Peel being fond of them and, if I'm honest, it was the name of the band that caught me before the music.

Didn't one of them (the main man?) lose it (mentally) or am I imagining things?

cranks wrote: »
    I was a latecomer to FSA. Some wonderful stuff but some tough going stuff too IMO. I recall John Peel being fond of them and, if I'm honest, it was the name of the band that caught me before the music.

Didn't one of them (the main man?) lose it (mentally) or am I imagining things?
    I only discovered them about 3 years ago myself. I don't know what happened him (Dave Pearce) exactly but he just seemed to stop making music about 10 years ago and just disappeared into oblivion. Unless you're thinking of Jason DiEmilio of a similar band Azusa Plane who suffered from tinnitus and hypercusis and commited suicide in 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The Telescopes Taste was a great album

Advertisement