Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academic Titles

• 15-08-2011 10:26pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So it appears everyone is now upgraded to a Professor of some sorts.
    Board at its meeting on 15th June 2011 approved a proposal from the Working Party on the Internationalisation of Academic Titles to replace the existing academic titles used in Trinity with the following:

Current Title: Lecturer - New Title: Assistant Professor;

Current Title: Senior Lecturer - New Title: Associate Professor;

Current Title: Associate Professor - New Title: Professor

Current Title: Professor - New Title: Professor (with existing title)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I'd like to know the actual differences between each of these titles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

This actually surprises me, I would never have thought the more conservative elements within College would have voted that through.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

With the last one, does that mean their title becomes Professor Professor?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Larianne wrote: »
    With the last one, does that mean their title becomes Professor Professor?
    Prof Herp Derp,
    Reid Professor in Criminal Law,
    Trinity College Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I'd say a lot of senior lecturers are creaming themselves right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 RoddyUsher

The logic behind this move is to make the staff "recognisable" to American visiting students and colleagues at conferences etc. It was discussed last year by the Board. In the States, a "lecturer" is an unknown position and so we must do things the American way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

Jonathan wrote: »
    Prof Herp Derp,
    Reid Professor in Criminal Law,
    Trinity College Dublin.

You forgot the comma before Dublin...

This is a prime example of homogenization gone mad. Hopefully the new Provost will put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

yutta wrote: »
    This is a prime example of homogenization gone mad. Hopefully the new Provost will put a stop to it.
    Why? It's just a title. All that matters is that everybody knows a > b > c > d.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I think this is great news. We now probably have more professors than all the other universities in Dublin put together, and are therefore the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

It may put the college in sync with America but it puts it out of sync with the rest of the country and most other English speaking countries, i.e. UK, Australia, New Zealand. A professorship should have to be earned and not just given.

I'm of the opinion that this move will undermine the status of the rank of Professor and associate Professor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

It's not exactly a very good clarification, either. I was told by a Lecturer (soon to be Assistant Professor) that he dislikes it because in the US an Assistant Professor doesn't have tenure by definition, whereas he does have tenure here, and it could be misinterpreted in the US as him not having tenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Why? It's just a title. All that matters is that everybody knows a > b > c > d.

Titles in Trinity are now out of sync with the rest of the institutions in the country. So tcd.title == (nui.title - 1).

It's a two-fold negative. One, we lose ... erm ... cross-compatibility with other universities, and two, we lose some of that "Oh you Irish are so cute" on the American side.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

You forgot the comma before Dublin...

There is no comma before Dublin unlike in Oxbridge colleges Trinity College, Oxford. It's the style that has been settled upon although not consistently followed.

It is explicitly stated in the Oxford Manual of Style.

There is no comma before Dublin unlike in Oxbridge colleges Trinity College, Oxford. It's the style that has been settled upon although not consistently followed.

You understand that this kind of thing is one of the reasons we have a reputation for being knobs, right? :p

How tiresome...

Until the statutes of the college and the university were revised last year, the official version of the college's name was "Trinity College, Dublin". The 2010 Statutes and corporate identity publications indicate that College now prefers the comma-less version in its media, but that doesn't affect me or anyone else who isn't writing official publications on behalf of Trinity. Both versions are unambiguous and entirely correct.

Yes there is. If you look at any document from before the 1980s (the decade of the college's rapidist demise), it's consitently there.

It's not explicitly stated in the OMofS. That's a porkie.

Kwekubo wrote: »
    How tiresome...

Until the statutes of the college and the university were revised last year, the official version of the college's name was "Trinity College, Dublin". The 2010 Statutes and corporate identity publications indicate that College now prefers the comma-less version in its media, but that doesn't affect me or anyone else who isn't writing official publications on behalf of Trinity. Both versions are unambiguous and entirely correct.

lol. 2010 Statutes. Now there's a minefield. I dare you to utter those words at the Fellow's table at commons.

As for "corporate identity" - last time I checked, this was still a university that isn't run like UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

lol. 2010 Statutes. Now there's a minefield. I dare you to utter those words at the Fellow's table at commons.

As for "corporate identity" - last time I checked, this was still a university that isn't run like UCD.

I've been to UCD and Trinity, I can say without a shadow of a doubt both places are run the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

Hopefully the new Provost will put a stop to it.

It was his idea.

• Advertisement

How tiresome...

Noted that you have the prerogative to write the term whichever way you wish. I was just commenting on how someone purported to correct a different use, a use that is preferred by the College at the moment. That is all.
    It's not explicitly stated in the OMofS. That's a porkie.

Ritter, R.M. (Ed), The Oxford Manual of Style (Oxford University Press, (2002)) at p123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

You guys...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

blubloblu wrote: »
    You guys...

Actually, according to the OMoS, it's 'you, guys.' Sheesh, get it right.

Ritter, R.M. (Ed), The Oxford Manual of Style (Oxford University Press, (2002)) at p123

Could you please quote that fully for me?

Could you please quote that fully for me?

"Where specific clarification is needed–usually of a university: a scholarship to Trinity College, Cambridge, was offered (as opposed e.g. Trinity College in Oxford or Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut); but note exceptions such as University College London, Trinity College Dublin, Kings College Cambridge, each chooses not to have commas."

Lads, please, can we take the academic circle-**** to the GMB where it belongs?

"Where specific clarification is needed–usually of a university: a scholarship to Trinity College, Cambridge, was offered (as opposed e.g. Trinity College in Oxford or Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut); but note exceptions such as University College London, Trinity College Dublin, Kings College Cambridge, each chooses not to have commas."

Thank you for taking the time to give me that interesting quote from OMofS.

They aren't wrong. However, do note the word "chooses". I don't recall Trinity College ever formally "choosing" to drop the comma before the most recent Statutes update. If you look at any document from the college's fine history, you'll find that 99.9% of the time, a comma is included. Modern "convention"/laziness/ignorance is not enough reason to omit it from important college documents.

There was never any rationale given for the dropping of the comma, bar appeals to minimalism and modernism (the kind of thinking that has landed us with architectural monstrosities at various points around the college).

"Controversy" in the Seanad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

"Controversy" in the Seanad.
    She seems misinformed to be honest. Salaries have nothing to do with the change.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

This is pretty irrelevant to most academics. And yes, the main thrust is to gain clarity with the people most research academics work with. Frisntsnce, as someone said, lecturer in the us OR In us influenced places means what untenured, non research active, part time, etc. Senior l means youvebeen doing it longer. This wont cost a penny ( in fact, it will save as watch what were personal chairs become non existence and all top off at (old sytle associate) professor.
    Bottle of smoke.

Advertisement