Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed on buying a replacement cassette & chain for my Giant CRS 3.0 FS (2008)

Options
  • 30-07-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Could any of ye advise about buying a new rear cassette & chain for my Giant CRS 3.0 (2008)? I have little knowledge about bikes/ there maintenance but would like to attempt these replacements. I am currently experiencing skipping gears front & back. I have been advised that the cassette & chain are extremely worn thus need to be replaced. I have looked up its spec. & it seems the original cassette is sram pg830 11-28 & chain KMC Z7 (both currently on it). What are yer thoughs on SRAM cassettes? Would I be better to get Shimano, Tigra or some other brand instead as a replacement? What are yer thoughs on KMC chains? Any better brands?
    I am aware that its possible to get cassettes that individual sprocket spines can be replaced (sorry if I am not clear with sentence as I don't really know the jargon), would my bike be able to take such a cassette? I heard/ saw it been demoed on a "Specialized" bike
    I mainly use the bike to commute to work & buy shopping. I am open to any suggestions & any price ranges. Quality & longevity would be the main goals.

Thanks in advance,
    Fi.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Awe, no one has replied to you yet!
    The exact same cassette will do just fine unless you want to change the ratio of your gears, if you want easier gears and bigger jumps between them, but if you're happy with the gearing stay with it, as for chains I would fit a SRAM PC 830 instead of the KMC one, not that there is anything wrong with them I just think SRAM chains are better and shift fantastic, they are based on the design of the Sedis chain made by Sachs and were the first bushingless chains made.
    If you spend more on the parts you will save a tiny bit of weight and get slightly better shifting but the parts won't last any longer, in fact they will wear out quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fidero

Hi Holyboy,
    I was a bit surprise myself (maybe something to do with a bank holiday & all) but glad I got a reply from a guy in the trade.
    Thanks for your reply & sorry for the delay in acknowledging it.
    I have been looking up the terminology & the thing I was trying to describe the last time was sprocket. Is it possible to get a cassette similar to mind but that the sprockets on it can be broken into there individual sprockets?
    I will order up that chain then.
    I won't spent anything more then than I have too if the parts won't last as long.

Thank again,
    Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Can I ask why you want a cassette with separate sprockets?
    Most of SRAMs cassettes can be taken apart anyway, they have three long allen key (1.5mm head) bolts with the heads at the back of the largest sprocket, if you take those out the whole cassette will come apart, with a lot of Shimano they are riveted together but you can grind down the rivet heads and take them apart too, not sure why you would want to though!

Hi Holyboy,
    Thanks once again for your reply & sorry for the delay in replying. I was thinking if the sprockets were separate that they could be individually replaced once they get worn out thus being a bit more sustainable approach rather than sending the lot to the bring centre. Would I be right to assume that its a bad idea?

Thanks,
    Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It probably would be a more sustainable approach but you're unlikely to get individual sprockets for much less than you would get a whole cassette. In any case, most of the sprockets will wear out pretty much together so there probably wouldn't be that much saving in it.

Changing your chain regularly (look up ways to measure chain stretch) will go a long way towards minimising sprocket wear.

• Advertisement

Hi CDaly,
    Thanks for your quick reply. I will buy new then on your advice.

Thanks again,
    Fi.

P.S.: Don't know why I have taken so long in replying to each post up to now, sorry once again for such.

Advertisement