Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap prepay android phone(samsung europa) 39€

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I would avoid this (and every other budget android smartphone) like the plague.*

*Orange San Francisco is an exception

Are you saying that as someone that has used it or..

Not everyone wants to be online forever, for people that want a compact phone with access to Google services and not have that 'wedge of cheese' in the backpocket feeling, this phone is a steal.

I purposefully avoided getting something bigger. This phone is, in my opinion, better than the Huawei branded Vodafone Android devices.

If you've used that, I can see why you would have reservations though.

Horses for courses.

The Europa wasn't great with 2.1, as it was harder to switch data services on and off quickly, but with 2.2, it is easy(*).. and changes the nature of the phone. You can control when and where you want to use credit\access data.

* Long press End Call\Power button, scroll and select Mobile Network On or Off.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

looks great, me and my gf gonna order one.

i assume you dont have to top up by 20 every 30 days? just whenever you happen to top up by 20 you will get the free texts etc?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

looks great, me and my gf gonna order one.

i assume you dont have to top up by 20 every 30 days? just whenever you happen to top up by 20 you will get the free texts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

good wee both bought them and topped p by 20e each, so we get 38 additional cred on teh phone or?! adn we lose it if we change number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I need help with unlocking the phone via this crowd.

Am finding the experience rather confusing at the moment, I have 9.99 in credit with them in my account now but can't see how to turn that into an unlock for my specific phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Received the phone yesterday, got the credit €38 and ported over my number, no problems, great wee phone and great value.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

talkabout wrote: »
    Received the phone yesterday, got the credit €38 and ported over my number, no problems, great wee phone and great value.

Did you lose the credit when you ported your number?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭VanZan

noodler wrote: »
    I need help with unlocking the phone via this crowd.

Am finding the experience rather confusing at the moment, I have 9.99 in credit with them in my account now but can't see how to turn that into an unlock for my specific phone.

There's a written guide and a video tutorial. I'd recommend looking at both. The written guide says you need to install a "Swallowtail-Shrewsbury Driver". The video doesn't mention this but I installed it just to be safe.

Basically you take out your sim, dial the number on the keypad and select USB. Restart the phones and turn on the debugging.

Then download the client (link is in the written guide), log in and select your phone model (i5500).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Might get this as a back up 3G phone. AFAIK Three Sims only work in 3G phones so handy to have a backup 3G/Smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Did you get the free 38euro credit with it? I would prefer to buy it that way as well.

I only received €5 free credit and I was told I wouldn't receive any so I'm really surprised people got €38. Maybe it's only if it's bought online, if I had known that it might possibly have changed my mind regarding buying instore. Really delighted with it though so I'm not going to get all angry about it. Just registered on My3 now so maybe that'll make a difference. It also ported over really quickly too, less than an hour.

Can someone explain porting over the number to me? If for example I port my o2 number over does that mean I simply put the o2 sim into the phone and I'll be on the Three network? Or do I use the included Three sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Would fatcheese hurry up so I can get my "free" Europa! FFS like..:rolleyes:

How long will the offer last?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

VanZan wrote: »
    Can someone explain porting over the number to me? If for example I port my o2 number over does that mean I simply put the o2 sim into the phone and I'll be on the Three network? Or do I use the included Three sim?

You would then use the new 3 sim! The o2 one would become redundant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Just ordered another one:) They wouldn't accept my credit card again though as they said it had been used too recently so I had to use my laser. Hopefully the next one will come with the €39 credit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,887 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I only received 5 free credit and I was told I wouldn't receive any so I'm really surprised people got 38. Maybe it's only if it's bought online, if I had known that it might possibly have changed my mind regarding buying instore. Really delighted with it though so I'm not going to get all angry about it. Just registered on My3 now so maybe that'll make a difference. It also ported over really quickly too, less than an hour.

Cheers Apple. Ive never used a Touch-fone so If I get it in a shop I can annoy them without feeling Im using their time.
    Let me know if anything extra comes ;-)
    Btw did you get it in a 3 store or a CPW?

so do people lose the credit when porting their number?

Cheers Apple. Ive never used a Touch-fone so If I get it in a shop I can annoy them without feeling Im using their time.
    Let me know if anything extra comes ;-)
    Btw did you get it in a 3 store or a CPW?

I bought it in a three store. I was the same, beginning to quite like the swype text feature after some practice. :D

Yes you lose it all. They told me in the Three shop it stays at that price for all of August at least, they're not sure after that. Maybe hold off and use up your credit?

• Advertisement

Yes this is the critical question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Amalgam wrote: »
    Are you saying that as someone that has used it or..

Not everyone wants to be online forever, for people that want a compact phone with access to Google services and not have that 'wedge of cheese' in the backpocket feeling, this phone is a steal.

I purposefully avoided getting something bigger. This phone is, in my opinion, better than the Huawei branded Vodafone Android devices.

If you've used that, I can see why you would have reservations though.

Horses for courses.

The Europa wasn't great with 2.1, as it was harder to switch data services on and off quickly, but with 2.2, it is easy(*).. and changes the nature of the phone. You can control when and where you want to use credit\access data.

* Long press End Call\Power button, scroll and select Mobile Network On or Off.

Yep I have used this before and its by far one of the worst phones I have used.

Yes you lose it all. They told me in the Three shop it stays at that price for all of August at least, they're not sure after that. Maybe hold off and use up your credit?
    i mean my 38e if i get it, not my meteor, i know i would lose that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

pigck29 wrote: »
    Can I ask where did you lock the phone please? the cheapest I can find online is €16.

http://www.fastgsm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

VanZan wrote: »
    I'm new to all this. Can you provide a link to this "Odin method" and maybe even explain what it is please?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781149

Not the one I used but it looks very similar. Means you can put whatever version of anything you wish on the phone.

i mean my 38e if i get it, not my meteor, i know i would lose that

Oh sorry I hadn't seen your previous post so I really can't answer you, maybe if you ask on the three forum. So from what I gather anyone that bought the phone without porting over got €38 free? If you port over while buying you only get €5 free. Bit of a head wreck. I've just checked MY3 and noticed the €5 free credit I was given has an expiry date of 9th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,154 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Oh sorry I hadn't seen your previous post so I really can't answer you, maybe if you ask on the three forum. So from what I gather anyone that bought the phone without porting over got €38 free? If you port over while buying you only get €5 free. Bit of a head wreck. I've just checked MY3 and noticed the €5 free credit I was given has an expiry date of 9th September.

That kind of solves my dilemma so!

I got the phone unlocked last night (just about!) and was considering moving to three if it meant 38 euro credit but I won't bother for 5e!

I got this! what the ****
    Dear x

Thank you for your recent 3pay order.

We consider each prospective customer’s order very carefully. This means that occasionally orders are declined which do not fully meet our acceptance requirements.

In reaching our decision we carry out standard checks to see if the application complies with our internal risk business rules. These rules include verifying information such as the type of credit card used to make the purchase, and the volume of handsets ordered using the same card details.

Unfortunately we are unable to proceed with your order at this time.

Please note, as your application is for a Prepay Order, we do not evaluate the personal and financial information provided by you during the application process or make or record credit assessments in respect of you. The fact that we have declined to process your order is not disclosed to other third parties

Kind Regards,

3 Customer Protection Team

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

LOL Your email must be on their banned list or something...

• Advertisement

I mean my girlfriend ordered it too, same type of debit card etc and hers was fine, what the hell! I used my tcd email. How can somebody get refused a prepay phone?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement