Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Broadband price increase and TV contract

Options
  • 02-08-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just in case anyone was looking to move from UPC, the recent increase in broadband pricing means that the entire contract signed with them is void.

I was able to cancel my tv and broadband contracts without any penalty (usually €100). There was alot of confusion with customer service who tried to convince me I had two seperate services and could only cancel the broadband if I wished but I stuck it out with them and showed on their own terms and conditions it is a single agreement.

Lucky break for me as I had been looking to move away from the tv since I got it in.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Alonso69

Really, im just about to cancel mine as i got a better deal with SKY, so if they say i have to pay €100 what do i say??

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

Tell them that you have one single agreement with them (i'm assuming you do i.e. when you signed uo you got everything at once tv,bb and maybe phone, you might have a problem if say you signed up to tv, then later added on bb or phone) and that a change to the terms voids the entire contract. I think it is as per point 16 of their T&C you are entitled to cancel "with no penalty".

The line I pushed with was that nowhere in the contract does it say that when I sign up i am siging seperate contracts for tv and bb.

Good chance you will get them saying no they are seperate but be persistent, I first tried last Thirsday when I go the letter saying my BB was going up and got told that he would have to talk to someone and would call me back. Surprise surprise no one called me back, so I rang up again today and started again and they finally agreed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Gutted I only have the TV package! Really wanna rid myself of this UPC business!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

+1. I've just posted why on the UPC Packages thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yeah it looked like they moved me to one of there new services rather then usually just increasing the speed. I thought they couldn't move you from a contract without your permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Got the price increase letter today, what is call barring anyway. I checked my online acc and have it, does all phone users get it by default or just bundle users?.

Got the price increase letter today, what is call barring anyway. I checked my online acc and have it, does all phone users get it by default or just bundle users?.

I rang them, bundle people won't see a price increase according to cust care (but that could be wrong).

Call barring prevents you call premium numbers generally (also used prevent certain numbers coming in and ringing certain numbers), I think UPC have looked up the word irony in the dictionary and are now willing to use it as much as possible to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Elmo wrote: »
    Call barring prevents you call premium numbers generally (also used prevent certain numbers coming in and ringing certain numbers).

According to the letter I got premium rate call barring is still free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheMaryMc

Hi, Im just wondering what you're doing for TV now? I have TV and broadband with UPC and was thinking of keeping broadband and looking for a better TV deal (maybe satellite), but then there's so much TV available on the internet that Im confused. The bottom line is I want to save money in order to pay my heating bills next Winter ha!

TheMaryMc wrote: »
    Hi, Im just wondering what you're doing for TV now? I have TV and broadband with UPC and was thinking of keeping broadband and looking for a better TV deal (maybe satellite), but then there's so much TV available on the internet that Im confused. The bottom line is I want to save money in order to pay my heating bills next Winter ha!

If you want TV I think the best option is a mix of Saorview (RTÉ, TV3 & TG4 channels) and FTA Satellite (BBC, ITV and C4 channels etc) and keep your UPC Broadband and Phone.

However if you get premium channels or want sky channels then its not the option for you.

UPC haven't really got a clue, a bad freesat channel called True Movies and The Good Food Channel, I know allot of people wanted the food channel but they aren't replacements for ITV 2, 3 & 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

I signed up for a bundle package in january 2011. I was disappointed in losing so many channels that I decided when my contract ended I would invest in a freesat combi system and just keep bb and phone with upc.
    With the advertised price increase on 5th September from upc there was an opportunity for me to cancel my contract without been charged the 100 cancellation fee.
    I rang customer services at upc and told the person I was cancelling my contract because of the price increase.I was informed no problem but that their would be a 100 cancellation fee applied to my a/c. I asked for this to be checked with their supervisor who confirmed their would be a charge on my a/c.
    I would not accept this as I felt the information I was been given was incorrect and was transferred to customer loyalty who informed me that their would be no cancellation fee if I wished to cance,l but that I would have to give 30 days written notice.
    I don't understand why the right information is not given out in the first instance.

pat1981 wrote: »
    I signed up for a bundle package in january 2011. I was disappointed in losing so many channels that I decided when my contract ended I would invest in a freesat combi system and just keep bb and phone with upc.
    With the advertised price increase on 5th September from upc there was an opportunity for me to cancel my contract without been charged the 100 cancellation fee.
    I rang customer services at upc and told the person I was cancelling my contract because of the price increase.I was informed no problem but that their would be a 100 cancellation fee applied to my a/c. I asked for this to be checked with their supervisor who confirmed their would be a charge on my a/c.
    I would not accept this as I felt the information I was been given was incorrect and was transferred to customer loyalty who informed me that their would be no cancellation fee if I wished to cance,l but that I would have to give 30 days written notice.
    I don't understand why the right information is not given out in the first instance.

There is no need to give notice , see thelink below from Comreg, ring back up and quote this to them, Push them to acknowldge it.

But do note, there is a chnace they will cut off your tv service today.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/how_do_i_exit_my_contract_without_penalty_if_my_service_provider_changes_my_terms_and_conditions_and_i_do_not_accept_the_changes.1.206.LE.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pat1981

hotshots85 wrote: »
    There is no need to give notice , see thelink below from Comreg, ring back up and quote this to them, Push them to acknowldge it.

But do note, there is a chnace they will cut off your tv service today.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/how_do_i_exit_my_contract_without_penalty_if_my_service_provider_changes_my_terms_and_conditions_and_i_do_not_accept_the_changes.1.206.LE.asp

Thanks for the link, strange upc didn't advise me of this, letter of cancellation went in the post this morning, need the tv couple more weeks until I get my freesat setup but will give them a ring then,will be interesting if they accept this because customer loyalty were saying 30 days and they were adamant.

wrote:

Thanks for the link, strange upc didn't advise me of this, letter of cancellation went in the post this morning, need the tv couple more weeks until I get my freesat setup but will give them a ring then,will be interesting if they accept this because customer loyalty were saying 30 days and they were adamant.

Sure why would they when they can get another months revenue?

I had the sanme issue, I said it and was told no it's 30 days, so I said I had seen it on comreg and he put me on hold, came back said he's checked it and was def 30 days notice. So I pushed it and said I could send him the link, on hold again and hey presto cane back and said that's fine can cancel today!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I wish there was an Agency i could call up on the phone and ask them where am i bound legally on an agreement.There could be a market for this sort of info because who has the patience for reading that sort of thing.I too got a letter from upc and they know very well how people react on first seeing the open document.I want somebody to read this mindglue and have a synopsis or a few words to explain ready at short noice on phone back and for a fee of course.I hav'nt even looked at it yet but there's nothing good ever in an envelope with a window.Is there such a website or agency?

paddyandy wrote: »
    I wish there was an Agency i could call up on the phone and ask them where am i bound legally on an agreement.There could be a market for this sort of info because who has the patience for reading that sort of thing.I too got a letter from upc and they know very well how people react on first seeing the open document.I want somebody to read this mindglue and have a synopsis or a few words to explain ready at short noice on phone back and for a fee of course.I hav'nt even looked at it yet but there's nothing good ever in an envelope with a window.Is there such a website or agency?

The consumer agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

pat1981 wrote: »

When you initially signed up, you were tied into a minimum of 12 months contract. You may have a fight on your hands to avoid the cancellation fee. On the other hand, you should not have to endure a price increase until that initial 12 months is up. Thats the way my contract has worked out and I joined them last August.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Just rang UPC to cancel my account - I have TV and Broadband. I don't want my account deactivated until a certain date in September, which would actually be outside the 30 days, even though I don't need to give them 30 days notice.

My question is this - do I have to cancel my account in writing? The UPC guy on the phone said to me that I have to give them 30 days written notice. I'd much rather be able to say to them on the phone - please cancel my account on such and such a date in September.

Just for clarification - I am with UPC longer than 12 months so I'm outside of the 12 month contract. My price increase letter is dated 22nd July, so I'm still inside the 30 days when I can cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheMaryMc

Well Im with them for years, but was still told I had to give 30 days written notice. I took the path of least resistance and posted letter to them today, even tho Im getting satellite installed sooner than that, and am staying with UPC for broadband.
    Anyway that's just me I didn't want any hassle so it was easier to comply!

I don't really understand. If your contract has concluded then you should be able to cancel when you like, regardless of price increase. An Upgrade or Downgrade puts you into an new contract, but cancellation charges or downgrade charges after the conclusion of the 12 month contract must be against the law.

• Advertisement

TheMaryMc wrote: »
    Well Im with them for years, but was still told I had to give 30 days written notice. I took the path of least resistance and posted letter to them today, even tho Im getting satellite installed sooner than that, and am staying with UPC for broadband.
    Anyway that's just me I didn't want any hassle so it was easier to comply!
    Hey Mary,

Thought this might be if help, I woul be sure you can still ring up and quote this to them.

Advertisement