Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are airsoft guns and equipment so expensive in Eire ?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Compared to other countries ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Tax, shipping, retailer's markup.

It's pretty simple to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Blay wrote: »
    Tax, shipping, retailer's markup.

It's pretty simple to understand.

Retailers bills, staff wages, warranty returns, amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Also, alot of it would probably have to do with the size of the market.

An Irish retailer buying 10 AEG's will get absolutely no bargaining power compared to a US retailer buying in 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

They aren't that expensive anyway. Just the high end stuff and you'd be mad to pay for that.

From an estimating point of view.

Each one would need a contribution towards

Overheads, carriage costs, local taxes, Irish taxes, import agent fees, wages, markup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

This may be a shock to you, but everything in Ireland is expensive. Petrol is €1.53 a litre, rents and property prices are still over-inflated (down from hyper-inflated <sarcastic cheer>) and even finding a decent pint for less than a fiver is considered a boastable achievement.

I don't mean to rock your economic world here, but they're not going to get cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I'd argue with the original poster, prices are not that different abroad. You may be confusing low Asian prices which exclude shipping and tax (which you have to pay) with shop prices here.

I have been buying gear here in Austria, and the prices are pretty much the same as in Ireland. Take a look at these shops for comparison:
    http://www.airsoftcompany.at/
    http://www.airsofthq.at/shop/index.php
    http://www.airsoft-sports.com/store/index.php

For reference, I am looking for a 416 at the moment. The Top-Tech one is €400 in Airsoft Company, I know Eirsoft used to have it for €380. The VFC is about €450 in Ireland, and that is the same price from airsofthq.

Occasionally you spot a bargain somewhere (I got a system 7 USP for €130 from airsoftcompany), but I spot similar bargains from time to time with the Irish retailers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Prices are pretty saucey on some of the UK shops too, I cringe
    sometimes when looking at some of the fire-support prices.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

I think a better question is Why are they some expensive for something that with defiantly fail at some stage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

damagegt wrote: »
    I think a better question is Why are they some expensive for something that with defiantly fail at some stage ?

Everything breaks eventually. Same goes for cars. It doesn't help that most Irish players do the equivalent of pulling handbrakes and revving the bag out of their AEGs and them lobbing them into a ditch.

I know that but still they are very soft for the cost of some of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I know that but still they are very soft for the cost of some of them.

They are electric equipment at the end of the day. They rely on gearboxes , piston ect, to function.

There are going to be fails, I've gotten mine wet, dropped, banged against stairs and the like and they are still rocking. Try that with another electrical appliance and they will fail too.

That is very true but they are designed for that so in turn should stand up the the punishment there disigned for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

That is very true but they are designed for that so in turn should stand up the the punishment there disigned for

Who would design a product that would last forever and never need replacement parts? It's just bad business ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Arcto wrote: »
    Who would design a product that would last forever and never need replacement parts? It's just bad business ;)

Ford

Bernie Mac wrote: »
    Ford Toyota

Fixed that for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I have a Fiesta and every time it needs to go for an NCT I have to replace stupid crap like back windscreen wiper motors and other crud you barley use at a ripoff price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭kevlarman1

NakedDex wrote: »
    This may be a shock to you, but everything in Ireland is expensive. Petrol is €1.53 a litre, rents and property prices are still over-inflated (down from hyper-inflated <sarcastic cheer>) and even finding a decent pint for less than a fiver is considered a boastable achievement.

I don't mean to rock your economic world here, but they're not going to get cheaper.

i disagree, when i lived in germany in 2oo4
    petrol was 1.77 a ltr,
    ireland was a whole lot cheaper even today
    same with our fone companies, we are cheaper
    it was nearly 67 cent for a txt

there's loads of places that sell for less than 5 euro for a pint
    like everything you just have to find it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I wonder if anyone has bothered to look at the only useful comparisson when it comes to the costs of products in a particular society.

As a percentage of net income (after taxes) how much does an AEG cost in Ireland as opposed to the UK, Europe, US and Asia.

Comparing prices is bull**** because it doesnt tell you the value of the item. Comparing the value ascribed to that item based on the percentage of individual income between two different places is the real measure.

Im pretty sure even with our commercial wasteland we are still comparably cheaper than other places.

Average US income €32,362.20 ($46,300)
    Average EU income €38,000
    Average Hong Kong income €46,083.10 (514,698 HKD)
    Average Phillipine income €4,103.49 (250,000 PHP)
    Average Irish income €47,879

(the above is taken from /www.averagesalarysurvey.com as a quick reference. I'll have a look at the IMF or UN statistics later).

I'm going to do a run-down on prices later and compare the percentages, which should give you an idea of how much you are spending compared to other people. I mean thats what this grievance is about right?

Its not like people complaining about prices in Ireland want something for nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

kevlarman1 wrote: »

there's loads of places that sell for less than 5 euro for a pint
    like everything you just have to find it,
    But it's usually a sh*tty pint in an equal sh*tty place...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Private Snafu

Leftyflip wrote: »
    But it's usually a sh*tty pint in an equal sh*tty place...

Here now, how the hell would you figure out what designates a good place, you're only a tot :P

Plenty of decent cheap pints to be had, you just hafta get out of Dublin first;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Holy Sh-one-t!!! I'd love to on a so called average wage!! :eek:

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hate to burst the bubble but in my opinion, AEG's etc are designed first and foremost to look the part, functionality is a bonus. Just because you pay hundreds for an item and because that item is modeled on a real firearm, doesn't equate the two. Look at some Rolex's, massively expensive and some arn't even waterproof. It would be wrong in my eyes to even think of an AEG as "rugged" or something to be thrown around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

kevlarman1 wrote: »
    i disagree, when i lived in germany in 2oo4
    petrol was 1.77 a ltr,
    ireland was a whole lot cheaper even today

In Germany you don't pay car tax, it's actually added onto the price of fuel.
    So the more you travel the more car tax you actually pay which is pretty fair.
    Not to mention the millions saved by not having a whole heap of road tax offices and the relevant staff.
    I wish they'd introduce it here but they don't have the balls to do it.

bullets wrote: »
    Holy Sh-one-t!!! I'd love to on a so called average wage!! :eek:

~B

You and me both mate ... ;)

Just a cursory analysis of the data based on three guns I could find on repuatable sites based in the UK, Hong Kong and Ireland.

6032057057_4f0c09ba1d.jpg
    international price comparisson airsoft by ronanlowe, on Flickr

Note that the final percentage totals after the import fee's etc are actually lower in 5 out of six cases with the only saving being 6% on a KJW. Hardly worth it since buying abroad you lose out on loads of local benefits and rights.

No matter which way you cut it it's looking like you're actually getting your kit cheaper here than abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Note that the final percentage totals after the import fee's etc are actually lower in 5 out of six cases with the only saving being 6% on a KJW. Hardly worth it since buying abroad you lose out on loads of local benefits and rights.

There is one fluctuating variable in that analysis, and one omitted; the uneven application of customs charges, and currency deviation. The first I have no real idea of how to reliably consider it, and the second would involve some judicious and time consuming use of 'R' (programmable statistical analysis tool) to give you accurate statistics.

All in all though, the conclusions are fairly reasonable to make even with those two variables. Interesting work dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

And let's face it - at the moment the euro is getting hammered against most other currencies.

Example:

November 2010
    1 Euro = 1.40 (average retail rate) CHF

Today (as per my Credit Suisse rape invoice ... sorry, receipt)
    1 Euro = 1.04 CHF

But at least we can discount Switzerland from Hivemind's calculations above - airsoft is bloody illegal here!
    Decent comparison by the way dude...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

come again...

According to the CSO figures for Q1 2011, average Irish Income is equivalent to €675 per week or €35,100 p.a.

The €47k figure seems more like our GNP, a figure skewed by the large number of exporting multinationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭kevlarman1

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    In Germany you don't pay car tax, it's actually added onto the price of fuel.
    So the more you travel the more car tax you actually pay which is pretty fair.
    Not to mention the millions saved by not having a whole heap of road tax offices and the relevant staff.
    I wish they'd introduce it here but they don't have the balls to do it.

Motor vehicles tax is in Germany payable by the registered keeper of the motor vehicle. Tax liability begins, when the vehicle is registered with the vehicle licensing authorities and ends when the vehicle is deregistered.
    Tax object and tax basis
    Motor vehicle or trailer licensed for operation on public roads. Motorcars are assessed on the basis of cylinder capacity. Lorries and trailers are assessed on the basis of their maximum permissible gross weight.
    Tax due date
    The amount of motor vehicle tax payable is fixed in a written notice of assessment. It is payable as a rule for one year in advance. It is payable as a rule for one year in advance. The due date of the tax depends on when the motor vehicle was licensed. Annual tax exceeding 500 EUR may be settled in equal half-yearly payments plus a surcharge of 3 %. It the annual tax exceeds 1 000 EUR it may be settled in equal quarterly payments plus surcharge of 6 %. If the tax liability ceases before the end of the year for which tax was paid, tax is reassessed up to the time when liability ceases, so that excess tax paid will be refunded.
    Tax rate
    Tax by personal car for a year:
    Type
    Petrol
    Diesel
    Euro 4
    Euro 3
    3-liter cars
    D3
    Euro 2
    Euro 1
    Other vehicles permitted to operate during ozone alarm