Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving country - Any car trade ideas?

• 09-08-2011 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Maybe this is a business idea for somebody??

Moving soon to mainland europe, and have the question I'm sure countless people have had. What to do with the car? I don't want to drive a RHD in europe, and would like to have a car there, but don't like the idea of selling here (losing money to a dealer) and then buying there (paying premium to a dealer).

Just wondering if anyone had experienced this? Any international trade companies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP you'll have to make your query a bit clearer, it's very confusing. What do you want? To trade an RHD for an LHD? To trade in your car in Europe? And why would you go to a dealer to buy or sell? What car do you have (make/model/year/engine)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

sell it privately here for a nice lump of cash. get a sweet discount off any car that interests you over there as you'll be a cash buyer. that's what I did, got a better car for less than I sold my old one :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Confab wrote: »
    OP you'll have to make your query a bit clearer, it's very confusing. What do you want? To trade an RHD for an LHD? To trade in your car in Europe? And why would you go to a dealer to buy or sell? What car do you have (make/model/year/engine)?

It's all in the question if you read it.
    Anyway OP:
    I'm kind of in the same situation, want to move to Europe, but don't want to sell my car here and then having to buy another one, especially since I will need my car to move over.
    Two possibilities.
    See if you can find a LHD car over here, they are to be found and possibly cheaper, since no one in their right mind would buy it.
    Or, bit the bullet, take your RHD car over to Europe and just drive it till it falls apart, since selling it would be at a loss, no one in their right mind over there would buy a RHD car unless it was a classic British sportscar (Jag, MG, etc...)
    Or, sell your car, hire a van to move your stuff and give the van back at your destination, it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hence that in some EU countries it's not allowed to register RHD cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Betcha Poland is one of those countries

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Betcha Poland is one of those countries

Seems you'd win that bet:
    http://www.polishforums.com/news-politics-4/rhd-cars-poland-campaign-change-rules-poland-37892/
    it's an older thread, dunno if it has changed since..

Advertisement