Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

With the shot put going out the window a bit, any thoughts on competing again? I know that you were only really competing once a year anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Da Za wrote: »
    With the shot put going out the window...

WAHEYYYYY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Da Za wrote: »
    With the shot put going out the window a bit, any thoughts on competing again? I know that you were only really competing once a year anyway.

Oh yeah I definitely will. I'm very non commital about it though. I'm definitely not an ex-powerlifter yet.
    Hanley wrote: »
    WAHEYYYYY!!

Don't laugh, it nearly happened.

Ohhh god logging is like a chore at this stage! So faaaaar behiiiind!:(

Anyway just a quick bookmark as to what's up.

The last 4 weeks have been nuts with life and stress and all the rest that stops you logging trianing but not actually training. Highlights:

- Weight down to 97kg, I'm nearly 2 stone lighter than fat Kev and I'm delighted. In fairness the stress and the effect it had on my appetite are partially due credit here but I threw in a few Franley's at the end of workouts to speed things along.

- Went to see an Osteopath for my terrible posture (any of my facebook friends look at my pictures for one of me holding the baby in a white t-shirt :eek:). Diagnosis: My right SI joint was marginally out of line and messing up everything. He basically felt me up and told me all my symptoms before I could tell him. Then he threw me around the room for 10 mins and when I stood up my protruding belly and exaggerated arched lower back were gone. They still are, 3 weeks later. Also after a session of GM's, rack pulls and cleans my LEFT lower back is fried. It feels great! I've never had any experience of muscle fatigue in my left lower back, buttock or hamstring. Never. They're now being asked to help and they're in bits as a result. Once they get up to speed hopefully I'll notice a big difference strength wise.

- I didn't squat for a full month due to the lower back issue, started back last week and my form has completely changed post osteo. My right hip is under huge stress and I'm descending at a funny angle. All my support muscles are presumably being asked to different amounts of work and it'll take time to adjust.

- My bench held firm at 145kg during the weight loss. Trained it quite a lot and have been chinning and pulling up like nobody's business while keeping my shoulder work really high too. Several times a week for bench, shoulders and back and I seem to have it cracked... for now.

- Deadlift, haven't done it in weeks, I've been doing good mornings and rack pulls with some cleans. I pulled 280 x 3 singles from just above the kneecap last week and I good morning'd 140kg for 3 handy reps last night. I'm trying not to actually deadlift because it seems to do nothing but make me tired and injured.

That's it. I'll keep this updated more often even if it's only summary tuff like this. I'm kind of sick of writing...

120x3
    130x2
    140x1
    110x8 blah blah blah

Maybe I'll video myself explaining how training is going through the medium of modern dance or something.

Wordy update time. The last little while I’ve decided to re-focus how I’m training to try something new up to when I head on hols the first week in June. since I lost weight I have this overwhelming urge to push my conditioning as hard as it will go. Haven’t done that in a long time, last weight loss was due to lo-carb, so I’m thinking I can try to get my fat as low as I can and my general animalness as high as I can over the next 4 weeks.

I’ve instantly stumbled across the holy grail of exercises if you want to test your metal. Tabata front squats.

Now I mean real Tabata. Use a timer so you can’t count to 10 really slowly for rest periods and you go as hard and fast as you can when you are “on”. I think I saw god the other day after these and I’m now so sore I can’t go down stairs. Just can’t do it. I’ve tried plenty of tortuous stuff in the past. 20 rep squats with my 10 rep max, Crossfit WOD’s, Hill sprints to failure, absolutely nothing comes close to the feeling after Tabata front squats. I downloaded a Tabata app for my phone so I just go by the whistle on it and I loaded up 40kg. Probably a bit high for a first time but I hate starting slowly.

I doubt I’d be able to do these too many times a week and still live but we’ll see. I’ll throw in some ridiculous barbell complexes with them and track my progress on how much fat I lose and how much fitter I get.

Other highlights of the last weeks:

tested deadlift – 240kg easy 260kg fail
    Bench is still 140kg+ by calculation which is baffling.
    Squat is in the sh1tter for some reason, seems to be to do with my hamstring involvement.

• Advertisement

Last session was benching off a foam roller a la Will Heffernan to remove the eccentric rebound effect and also to load up the weight. Did 140kg for 3 and a few more doubles. Did a round of shoulder work which was really aripoff of the deFranco routine. It was:

20kg plate raise x 8
    10kg side raises x 8
    20kg plate raise x 8
    10kg side raises x 8

rest 1 min

Repeat the above.

It's quick and it hurts which ticks the boxes.

I'm getting much better at pullups which I don't think I've mentioned. I do them all dead hand and with a pause at the bottom. Last session I did 35 in total with a medley of different grip pronations and widths. This session I did 36 and I'll continuer to add until that number gets stupid then I'll make them weighted and go back to 35. Repeat for rest of natural life.

It's Monday and I did tabata front squats on Tuesday last, I still have DOMS and can't really do down stairs walking.This is a massive DOMS PR for me. 6 frickin days!

I'm going to do them today again at lunch. I may well have to consider an "alternative" lifestyle such is the amount of mincing around the place I'm doing as a result of the pain in my legs.

So yeah the lunchtime tabatas didnt happen. I planned on squatting somewhat heavy first then finishing off with the tabatas. I worked up to 180 and on the first rep my lower right back went pop, same as here. I can hardly walk.

Trying to figure this out, my right glute was really sore and tingly yesterday but my posture still seems good so I don't really think the SI joint and bad posture have returned. My theory on it is that for the last few days my quads have been so sore from last weeks tabatas that I've been walking rather strangely and not really bending my right knee to prevent the unbelievable pain in my right quad. I think this could ahve been causing my glute to help and get badly fatigued then it let me down today squatting and my lower back went bang.

I can't buy a feckin break! I never seem to get any momentum with training anymore.

Already iced it and I'm gonna go and bully a pharmacist into selling me nurofen plus this afternoon.

Hopefully it heals quick enough for me to front squat soon so at least I can keep this tabata thing going until hols. From experience it will swell and stiffen badly for the next 3 days. I iced it pretty quickly and plan on takin plenty of painkillesr so hopefully by 3 or 4 days I'll be able to perform stuff that doesn't put it under too much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Nightmare. Hope you're back logging soon. One of the most interesting logs imo.

Sangre wrote: »
    Nightmare. Hope you're back logging soon. One of the most interesting logs imo.

Cheers.

Today's update. Took 20 mins to get out of bed. Long hot shower made it possible to go downstairs. Worked from home for obvious reasons.

After 4 hrs of waterboarding, a 6 page essay and a full background check a pharmacist agreed to sell me 3 nurofen plus tablets so long as I promised to slice and take wafer thin pieces of the tablets and stop taking them after 3 days. This is the first time I tried to buy them since the ban came in, I've been living off the massive swag of painkillers the doc gave my wife when she left the maternity hospital. Think it's time for an addition to the family I can't be handling this nurofen plus crap!

Confident this is just a muscular thing and that I haven't messed up my SI again but I'll look at it after the swelling and stifness subsides. It will be pretty obvious if it's gone back.

One thing I've noticed so much now that my posture has changed is how badly imbalanced my muscles really were. The title of this log is pretty ironic. The arched back I had made me think my ass was huge as it really stuck out, now that I've straightened up I have very little glute or hamstring mass to speak of. Realistically they're a bit wasted. Had I not been training so much these past few yeares I'd say I'd be in an awful way. It really is no wonder this happened.

apparently Lordosis (curvature of lower back) causes a few things:
    - lower back fatigue and injurys (check)
    - wastage and dormancy of glutes and hamstrings (check)
    - stretching and weakening of abs and suporting trunk muscles (Check??)

The third one is weird, I've always prided myself on the amount of ab work I do and how they help support me but I reckon they're probably pretty weak. I seem to be the only one who gets ab-cramp ALL THE TIME. Everytime I do any kind of ab work I get bad cramp across my stomach. Not a "I'm gonna sh1t myself" cramp but a muscular one. Hanley will atest to me begging him to pull my arms back and up as I lay face down on the ground in TF trying to un-cramp my abs. I think they've been compromised by being overstretch all the time.

I really need all these muscles to catch up. Gotta throw away aspirations of maintaining a certain total from a powerlifting perspective and really just get healthy. What I mean is I might have to switch to wide stance squats and maybe start squatting off a box so they become a posterior chain movement. My quads can lift just about anything and the fact that they're so massive and dominant aparently really pulls the pelvis into that lodotic position, I'm the poster child for quad dominance. Maybe they need to be ignored for a year or so and let me get my glutes as strong. A real tester of this is how I cna engage them. I can flick my quds and flec them really easily and the bounce and move around at my will, sorta like the "dancing pecs" thing you can do not but not before you started benching. I can only really flex my right glute and even then not very well. My left one just kind of pulses if I try to felx it. How bad is that?

Also a permananent switch to sumo DL's is probably for the best. I've managed to pull 250kg with no glutes or hamstrings so it can only help. Jesus when I think of the loads I've been asking my tiny little lower back muscle to move all these years. It's a wonder I've really only had 2 or 3 bad breakdowns in them.

Overall I'm very frustrated right now. Want to train!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Lordosis can also cause a gradual degeneration of the facet joints. These in turn cause pain and discomfort and loss of sensation when the disc gets pinched and becomes inflamed. I'm no Doctor, but I think your problem isn't muscular.

Take this from a fellow Neurofen scabber (the laws are driving me to get my codeine from the back streets).

• Advertisement

Lordosis can also cause a gradual degeneration of the facet joints. These in turn cause pain and discomfort and loss of sensation when the disc gets pinched and becomes inflamed. I'm no Doctor, but I think your problem isn't muscular.

Yeah I think the muscular thing is a symptom. Like they've weakened over time.

The lordosis is gone since my trip to the Osteo so that's got to be positive. I can now palpably feel my hamstrings and glutes stabilising me when I'm standing around rather than always feeling it in my lower back.

Never heard of facet joints before though I'm sure I've fucked them up as well! I've no idea of the health of the discs etc in my back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,150 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Think I've pretty pronounced lordosis as well. Might try and use this as motivation for actually addressing the problem.

Is it a case of loosening out the hips and strengthening the abs or is there more to it?

Sangre wrote: »
    Think I've pretty pronounced lordosis as well. Might try and use this as motivation for actually addressing the problem.

Is it a case of loosening out the hips and strengthening the abs or is there more to it?

I've no idea. I don't think losening the hips or activating the glutes is enough to actually fix the tilt in your pelvis. I had an osteopath manipulate me and that's the only time I ever noticed an improvement.

I'm thinking the tight hips and weak muscles might be symptoms rather than causes but also the fact that my spine and pelvis isn't being suported properly is bad well.

Sure we'll see how I get on. It's a pretty specific thing to everyone really. My back problems might be caused by different issues to yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

My terribly basic knowledge of lordosis is that it's caused by very tight hip flexors and weak ass extensors (geddit:pac:)

Ergo stretch hip flexors, stregthen glutes and hams (RDLs, hip Thrusts?)

I do wonder how much of the KevPants Ab Pulldowns were hip flexor and how much were abs :/

In a slightly related note, i think, and i maye be imagining it, that i've been able to get into my hip flexors with the end of a roller/ball manouvering from the groin rolling position.

I do wonder how much of the KevPants Ab Pulldowns were hip flexor and how much were abs :/

Good point. That video is a youtube sensation now though so it doesnt matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

kevpants wrote: »

which?? link? :pac:

:edit: nevermind, found it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

kevpants wrote: »

Holy ****, disabling comments and everything, i can't believe you kept that quiet!

Been humming and hawwing about logging and generally participating in this forum for a while now, but I can officially say that I'm back.

For the past 5 months I've been engaged in a pretty epic battle of Michael Bay CGI proportions with my old friend anxiety. I've spoken here before about having OCD (kind of post traumatic stress disorder related ever since childhood) and that I'm not ashamed of it. It's my cross, others have worse. For whatever reason it decided in March to kick the living crap our of me with a ferocity I haven't experienced from it in years. At the lowest point it left me shaking in bed at 3am wondering if there was any way out of this other than death. I don't suffer from depression per se but suffice to day having a 3 month long panic attack will leave you feeling more than a little blue. I feel bad for stopping logging and posting while this was going on but I was kind of saving it as a little reward for myself when I was better. That was probably stupid but whatever. Not going to whinge on about it but I'm coming out of the fight now, not back to my best but I have it on the ropes.

It's been a hard time, worse seeing the effect on wifepants and babypants but I managed to keep being a dad and a husband and didn't miss any work despite the pretty much constant mental pain. More importantly ;) I didn't stop training either.

The thing about anxiety is it sure does burn calories, also makes it hard to eat. So my weight went down to a trim 15st 1lb, I'm now back to 15st 4lb but I'm still 2st lighter than fat kevpants. I managed to keep most of my strength when this was going on, I needed to lose weight anyway even though this wouldn't be anyones preferred method for losing it I decided to take advantage of it. I'm in the best physical shape I've been in quite some time!

Through some miracle of nature my squat and deadlift are really the lifts that have suffered. I can still bench 140kg easily enough despite not training it that often and dropping all this weight. I dunno what that's about. I'm sumo deadlifting to try and get my glutes and hamds up to speed. I also want to box squat but don't have said box. Need to get one of those.

I didn't want to just start logging again with no explanation for the break, particularly because this is a forum with probably a higher % of young men hanging around it than most others and I've been around here quite a while and people prob have an idea of who I am. If letting young blokes know that I have to deal with this sh1t makes someone realise they aren't the only ones or gets someone to talk to someone instead of suffering in silence then it's worth it. There's some kind of epidemic of mental illness among young men in particular that's really disturbing and the stigma around it is still there.

I'm not a crazy person, I don't hear voices or talk to myself, I'm a normal bloke. Because my anxiety is categorized as OCD people think I repeatedly wash my hands or turn the light switch on and off 7 times before leaving the room. I do none of that. When this first became a problem I was nearly 24 and even when it was at its worst never did I think it was a "mental illness" because as I said I wasn't crazy. Mental illness isn't craziness. If your anxiety or worry or guilt get to the point where you can't function, that's mental illness. It doesn't just happen to other people and isn't something that stands out all your life. It's not about sitting at home dressed as a spice girl smearing mustard on your private parts, it's about all those young people in your community who took their own lives out of the blue. They were mentally ill but didn't even know it in most cases.

So look. Anyone who reads this and is even slightly reminded of themselves if they are harbouring anxiety or worries or guilt that seems too shameful or embarrasing to talk about, go and talk to someone. If you can't talk to someone you know or even feckin send me a PM if you like, if you don't want to do that then just make an appointment with a GP. It's not about being a mental case or being given antidepressants (I don't take any) or being locked up in a home. You just deal with things in an unhealthy way and need to get help changing that. Happiness is not the absence of problems but the ability to deal with them.

So yeah... lifting things.

8/8/11

sumo's

220 x 1
    230 x miss
    220 x 1
    220 x 1

I'll slowly add weight to these singles over the next few weeks. Mad the way 220kg can fly but 230 is nailed down. Sumos are just like that I suppose.

Single leg deadlifts - 40kg bar

x15, x10 per side with no break between sets (didn't put the bar down)
    Left x 15
    *break*
    Right x 15

Abs vs red bands and side bends with 40kg bar.

tl;dr

...just kidding, good to have ya back :D

I bumped your westside for confused b*stards thread while you were gone and got it added to the useful threads link, so you weren't forgotten!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

and that sir is why you are a hero...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

alos bradpants got several mentions while you were away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭COH

Savage stuff Kev, welcome back.

alos bradpants got several mentions while you were away

At the end of the day that's the most important thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

A very brave post Kev. It is great to hear you are dealing with it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Great to see you back Kev..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Cool, good to have you posting again especially since Hanley has gone all cardio gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Fair play to you dude, really brave post. Good to see you back.

• Advertisement

token wrote: »
    Cool, good to have you posting again especially since Hanley has gone all cardio gay.

Had to fill in the narrow skinny gap between the tiles that you left buddy :D

Advertisement