Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

some space weather on the way??

• 04-08-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭

can this cause any damage that anyone would notice? or is this story hyped up some?

http://spaceweather.com/
    STRONG SOLAR ACTIVITY: For the third day in a row, active sunspot 1261 has unleashed a significant M-class solar flare. The latest blast at 0357 UT on August 4th registered M9.3 on the Richter Scale of Flares, almost crossing the threshold into X-territory (X-flares are the most powerful kind). The number of energetic protons around Earth has jumped nearly 100-fold as a result of this event.....

Moving at an estimated speed of 1950 km/s, this CME is expected to sweep up two earlier CMEs already en route. Analysts at the GSFC Space Weather Lab say the combined cloud should reach Earth on August 5th at 13:55 UT plus or minus 7 hours: "The impact on Earth is likely to be major. The estimated maximum geomagnetic activity index level Kp is 7 (Kp ranges from 0 - 9). The flanks of the CME may also impact STEREO A, Mars and Mercury/MESSENGER." High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It seems at worst could be a G3 geomagnetic storm.

Nothing to worry about really.
    G 3

Strong

Power systems: voltage corrections may be required, false alarms triggered on some protection devices.

Spacecraft operations: surface charging may occur on satellite components, drag may increase on low-Earth-orbit satellites, and corrections may be needed for orientation problems.

Other systems: intermittent satellite navigation and low-frequency radio navigation problems may occur, HF radio may be intermittent, and aurora has been seen as low as Illinois and Oregon (typically 50° geomagnetic lat.)**.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales/#G3

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Isn't Kp 7 around the threshold where we might get to see auroras ?

stevenmu wrote: »
    Isn't Kp 7 around the threshold where we might get to see auroras ?

Up in the far north of the country if youre lucky yes.

gallery_1596_31_6898.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Just remember that auroras lower than KP7 values can be seen in Donegal for example. I would head out at KP5. The aurora will be visible lower on the horizon, so a uninterupted view of the Horizon (ie North coast) is desirable. There are other factors such as solar wind speed that affect whether there's an aurora visible at KP5. So worth heading out for viewing at KP5+ but not always productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

With the fact that the M9.3 flare has already porentially joined forces with a previous big flare, i could see this baby hitting kp8 for a time, if current speeds/impact rate are not going to change in a major way, as Kp7 was mostly for the M9.3 flare's speeds and size, not for that and another CME cloud thrown in at the same time, time will tell.

At the curret moment, Aurora's are certain over the Far North, likely over the mid-north, and potential for further south if we get a good tilting of the IMF field. If the IMF fields tilts nicely south, more energy can slip though this "shield", therefore allowing for a greater chance of Aurora's.

Extremely interested to see how this one plays out. Here's a useful chart also, take note of the traffic lights as their called:

http://www.spacew.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

When could we expect this to arrive, tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    When could we expect this to arrive, tonight?

Half an hour ago, plus or minus 7 hours it said. So the only chance for the aurora would be tonight. Not that we have any chance this far south . . :mad:

Well it seems that there's way too much cloud around anyway for most, you need an extremely clear night for that pesky Northern horizon to be cloudless, even under high pressure here always seems to be a bank of cloud on the northern horizon.

Hopefully things crack up a bit as the evening progresses, it would be a nice treat for some Northern folk to have a good display, and to see if anywhere outside of Ulster can get a sniff.

NASA ACE spacecraft have reported that the CME may just arriveing and beginning to impact Earth. IMF field is currently South so whatever will impact will flood into our atmosphere. I'm very interested on how this holds up, if inital speeds/strength is accurate, could be a fun night or two, weather pending! Finger's crossed!

Yep looks like something is happening now alright.

John can you interpret this? :D

Mag_swe_6h.gif

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... ;)

Solar wind speed is rapidly increasing, nearly up to 600 now, should keep going, but it's getting into the range of what wind speeds aurora's become visible over the north of Ireland....KP is stil low though, but it will start increasing in awhile. (Fluctuating also)

Density of the solar wind is above 10 protons, fluctuating, but keeping over 10 protons. Pretty much means this CME is packing a punch.

IMF is gone North for the moment, (represented by the red line), has been South till now, looks like its heading down once again. We really need it to get back South to let more energy flow in! EDIT: South again, looks like fluctuating again.

Phi? I'm unsure, but the most important one's are above ^^ :D

EDIT: And just to add on the KP, it's only updated every 3 hours I think, so it'll be awhile before we can tell what the KP is :)

EDIT 2 : Solar wind speed seems to have hit a stall in growth, just bouncing up and down between 600-650..which is a tad dissapoiting, as this was really forecast as a big CME, so I expected above 700 for a time...it's still early, and maybe if the IMF field can settle down into South territory things may pick up, as bz is going North a lot, hindering stronger rises in solar wind speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

OMG KP is at 8!!!!!!! :O :O :O :O :O

TYPICAL!!!>..... CLOUDY OUT!!!!! ARRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

SOOO FECKED OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    :(:(:(:(:(:(

I just seen that..FU*KING INSANE!

I am majorly ticked with the clouds....best chance in years for Aurora's South of Ulster.

Argh, to make it worse, I went outside.....Sky is clear overhead and to the south....guess where theres a huge bank of horrible cloud? To the north. Even if they wouldnt be there, A clear sky would be useful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Wow,kp of 8 but typical theres cloud:mad::(.Still though im right now considering driving to a darker part on the outskirts of the city(Galway) with a view north,im thinking up by Barna Golf Club.

Aiel wrote: »
    Wow,kp of 8 but typical theres cloud:mad::(.Still though im right now considering driving to a darker part on the outskirts of the city(Galway) with a view north,im thinking up by Barna Golf Club.

GO GO GO!! GOOD LUCK!... But clouds are all over the place according to SAT! :(

Donegal looks fairly clear...Get outside Muckfish! :D

John.Icy wrote: »
    Donegal looks fairly clear...Get outside Muckfish! :D

I bet he's already ooooutt and abooooutt! ... LUCKY FECKER! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

can someone please post a picture if they get a chance to see something. im in louth and all i see it darkness

Currently trying to contact a friend in INverness! , hopefully he sees something from there!... if not... we hav NO HOPE! haha

http://www.spacew.com/

I shouldn't have looked at this...now I'm sadder....RED flashing light over low latitudes = Aurora's highley possible over most of Ireland...Awh man.

Edit: Gone back to yellow now, coinciding with the iMF tilting back North, so it'll chop and change

August5th2011080.jpg?t=1312583986

Photo taken IN WIGAN!!!! .... SOOO ANGRY!!

Wigan is at the same LAtitude as DUBLIN!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement

4 hour latest prediction : KP 9? :eek:

wingkp_15m_24h.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Clouds everywhere... God i hate this summer:mad::mad:

4 hour latest prediction : KP 9? :eek:

wingkp_15m_24h.gif

ISnt that.....like dangerous????

WOW! KP 9 would power through the thinner clouds over the Ireland..

The North sky is kinda clearing now, only a thin cover, but to my west there's bigger clouds building....I have at most an hour before the whole sky is under a very thick layer of clouds, so no chance at all.....This storm is very big, there is a chance it will survive till Saturday night....with showers clearing during the everning, there should be clear spells....as for tonight, the satelite just isn't showing any proper breaks in the cloud...which is a pity, what an epic oppertunity going to waste!

I WANNA CRY RIGHT NOW :(:(:(

Prediction has dropped back to 8.7 now but thats still severe to extreme!

Any reports of power grid problems?

Edit: I see its at G3 at the moment, not strong enough to cause too much problems.

Yeah where were at atm it won't do much, but if the IMF field can stay south for say an hour, it could get worse, but it keeps going North preventing it getting worse.

At present, there would't be much chance over the South, there was around 45 minutes ago, but as said IMG went North, solar wind speed dropped, so until we get back into south IMF, there won't be much on offer, except maybe the far North. I hope we get one more burst tonight for the South, before thicker cloud arrives assosiated with incoming weather fronts.

EDIT: KP was only at 3 at the last 3 hour update mark, so there was a lull while the IMF went into north for awhile, so it doesn't necasarily mean it's all over now, KP could be back at 8, but it isn't frequently updating along with other data. IMF is back south now, a pick up in solar wind speed and aurora risk for some area's south of Ulster will resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

dexter647 wrote: »
    Clouds everywhere... God i hate this summer:mad::mad:
    Good clear sky to the north here at the moment but nothing to report.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Can't believe it was 9kp earlier :eek: Was too cloudy here to see anything but like other posters said what a waste to get such a high kp and have a dense cloud cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

went on a midnight run, it was actually well after midnight..:D to see if perchance there might be a small break in the clouds somewhere to see the display... NOTHING! :rolleyes:

Advertisement