Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

• 31-07-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

There seems to be a few Rossies on the forum and even though the seniors are done for this year there's still plenty going on, not least the minors great run and the county championship likely to restart very soon.

So. A thread for it all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭emc2

Any idea when the minors play the Semi final and who they're up against?

I know the last 4 are Roscommon, Tipp, Dublin and Galway. So is it Tipp or Dublin that we have next?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Roscommon v Tipp, Sunday 21st August

Dubs v Galway, Sunday 28th August

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

Will be tough against Tipp and very likely Dublin in the final if they progress.
    Dublin results
    16th April - Dublin (4-15) Westmeath (0-8)
    14th May - Dublin (0-10)Longford (0-5)
    29th June - Dublin (1-24) Kildare (0-11)
    10th July - Dublin (2-18) Meath (1-11)
    1st August - Dublin (1-11) Cork (1-3)

Some seriously big wins there. Only Longford who were reigning champions gave them any kind of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

roscommon played poorly in that match against armagh outside the last 10 minutes leading into half time when they outscored armagh 5 points to zero, apart from that i thought armagh were the better team on the day, if we play like that against tipp they will beat us, no two ways about it, tipp have more lethal forwards than armagh had/have and won't be running into blind alleys in the corner when they should be popping over the points, armagh also lacked a freetaker on saturday, had they one they would have won the game, tipp have a couple of excellent free takers

i have been to all the minor games this year, our victories prior to saturday were built on dominating midfield and getting the ball to donie smith who did the rest, against armagh we were beaten well in the middle and smith had an offday yet we still pulled it out of the fire, the bottle and leadership shown by thomas corcoran was unreal, that winning point was even more incredible considering he was being treated for cramp not less than a minute before stepping up to take that kick

dublin are unbackable for the minor now, some bookies are giving them at 1/4 and roscommon next best price at 6 and 7-1, i believe galway will give them a good game though, its hard to know how strong leinster is, longford play in the connacht minor league and we beat them 4-15 to 0-3 earlier in the year in that, cork were beaten by tipp in the munster final just as much as dublin beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i have been to all the minor games this year, our victories prior to saturday were built on dominating midfield and getting the ball to donie smith who did the rest, against armagh we were beaten well in the middle and smith had an offday yet we still pulled it out of the fire, the bottle and leadership shown by thomas corcoran was unreal, that winning point was even more incredible considering he was being treated for cramp not less than a minute before stepping up to take that kick

I was down near the corner where he took both of his big kicks and for the match winner he had to try and limber up directly before kicking it because of the cramp. To say it was something special doesn't do it justice. The amount of times Kavanagh for Kildare missed from the same area while being under far less pressure just shows that Corcoran has the head and the skill that means he has senior written all over him. And best part is he'll be minor eligible next year too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I was shocked when I learned he was minor next year. Some prospect and a player like this will hopefully add to Roscommons competitiveness.
    Hopefully Ros fans can keep their patience over the next 2/3 years. O'Donnell has worked a minor miracle literally in the case of minor scene.
    Where would the Roscommon minor scene be only for O'Donnell dragging it up by the scruff of the neck a few years ago. There now seems to be a conveyor belt of talent and 2/3 decent players a year with the odd gem like Corcoran can work wonders for a senior panel.
    Corcorans father was a wonderfully skilled corner forward for Strokestown for anyone who saw him, Rossies would know him from the club scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Hard luck to the seniors but well done to the minors, Armagh will be scratching there heads on how they lost this one Corcoran lad looks a mighty prospect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

good idea for a thread,seem to be plenty of rossies on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭emc2

I though Kelly next to Corcoran played well against Armagh too (until he ran out of steam and was subbed). Armagh had a very tall midfield and I was suprised we didn't try to mix up our kick outs. I was well impressed by the team spirit and attitude that the Roscommon Minors showed. Tipp will be a big test for us, they look to be doing what we did in '07.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭sendit

Are the Roscommon minor & Under 21 hurlers playing the the B Championships this year? There normanly strong enough

• Advertisement

emc2 wrote: »
    Tipp will be a big test for us, they look to be doing what we did in '07.

tipp have the same underage structure in place we have and its really paying off for them last 5 years or so, they reached four under 21 munster finals in a row between 2007 and 2010, finally winning one last year (their first ever) against kerry, at minor level its a similar story, they have reached four out the last six finals in munster

sendit wrote: »
    Are the Roscommon minor & Under 21 hurlers playing the the B Championships this year? There normanly strong enough

Don't know about the hurling but the Donegal vs. Roscommon Minor B quarter-final is on at 3pm Saturday in Ballyshannon: http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/

Reading the Roscommon Herald today you get the feelin O'Donnell might call a halt, he talks of lack of progress etc etc.

What do Boards Rossies think?

Fergie's being way too hard on himself, he's brought up some fantastic minor teams into the bones of a serious senior team that's only starting to spread its wings.

We've had no controversy over the last three years, just good, hard work towards returning the county team to the level we always have aimed to be at. It'd be a real shame if he was to leave at this point. It's hard to forget all the manger versus team confrontations over the last decade and having a manager that the team like and want to play for alone cannot be over rated, the last thing a young team needs is disruption and discontinuation. The county board needs to do jsut about everything in their power to ensure they sign up Fergal to a new contract so he can keep working with the senior team and help bring through players like Cathal Shine, Niall Daly and in the future prospects like McManus, Corcoran and Donie Smith.

If he does leave, who do we go after? I've been very impressed by Ross Shannon at minor level this year, he got the team in great shape and his susituations always seem to show a good understanding of where the team is failing. He'd obviously be in the Fergal mold of being well-equipped to bring younger players through. In fantasy land (or in other words outside managers, where we've been burnt on a few occasions recently) I'd fancy someone in the Kieran McGeeney mold because I think the biggest thing the team need to work on isn't skill-sets but physicality and fitness. If we had the gas Kildare have we could well have beat Tyrone on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭ Cameron Whispering Ball

Reading the Roscommon Herald today you get the feelin O'Donnell might call a halt, he talks of lack of progress etc etc.

What do Boards Rossies think?

hope he doenst, i love the style of football he brought to the team. He is a good manager, and is well respected in the county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

how are the minors shaping up for Sunday week?

also, I see the Under 16s don't seem to be of the same vintage as recent teams - after losing out in the Tedd Webb cup and Fr Manning final.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    also, I see the Under 16s don't seem to be of the same vintage as recent teams - after losing out in the Tedd Webb cup and Fr Manning final.

seems our conveyor belt of talent is coming to an end after next years batch of minors all right, we got turned over by galway in the ted webb and hammered last night by westmeath in the manning cup

seems our conveyor belt of talent is coming to an end after next years batch of minors all right, we got turned over by galway in the ted webb and hammered last night by westmeath in the manning cup

As long as the systems are there we'll be able to find players and people of real quality. We can't expect to win everything every year, so a loss here or there doesn't really mean the talent isn't there - Kerry, for all their success, haven't won a minor All-Ireland in 17 years. Underage has to be geared towards player development rather than simply results.

Oh, and I've got my tickets for Sunday next - center field on the Hogan Stand. Damn happy with these seats!

Anyone else heading to the match? And how do you think it'll play out?

• Syferus wrote: »
    As long as the systems are there we'll be able to find players and people of real quality. We can't expect to win everything every year, so a loss here or there doesn't really mean the talent isn't there - Kerry, for all their success, haven't won a minor All-Ireland in 17 years. Underage has to be geared towards player development rather than simply results.

Oh, and I've got my tickets for Sunday next - center field on the Hogan Stand. Damn happy with these seats!

Very True. Alot of lads on premierview saying ye are meant to have a right good crop of minors. We have done very well ourselves but id imagine we are underdogs against yourselves?

• Advertisement

Very True. Alot of lads on premierview saying ye are meant to have a right good crop of minors. We have done very well ourselves but id imagine we are underdogs against yourselves?

Only very slightly in the bookies' (6/4 for Tipp, 4/6 for Roscommon) and most Roscommon fans' books. Tipp certainly didn't get lucky to find themselves in the semi-finals and their record speaks for itself.

I doubt the sight of Roscommon jerseys will give Tipp nightmares in the lead-up either, and vice vesra. It has the potential to be a very good game of football. The biggest worry for Tipp might be fouls because our long range free-taker (Corcoran) has been in unbelievable form lately.

we were really poor last day out against armagh and from what i have seen of tipp they are a better side than armagh especially from placed balls, we start every game extremely slowly for whatever reason, its not till after the 10th minute or so we seem to start playing at all, against mayo in castlebar we were 1-1 down after 2 minutes but then completely outplayed mayo from the 10th minute onward, against galway we barely got out of our own 45 in the first 10mins and then over-ran them from the 12th min till halftime

any team that beats kerry, cork and meath in the run-in to the semi final have to be good, dublin beat cork (by same amount tipp did) and meath and now they are unbackable to win the whole thing........bookies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

heading to this on Sunday and really looking forward to it.Some really exciting players on the team,they will need to step it up from the Armagh game.I thought they were poor that day and were lucky to win it but hopefully it will help them on Sunday having played in Croker on a big day and came away with the win.

we were really poor last day out against armagh and from what i have seen of tipp they are a better side than armagh especially from placed balls, we start every game extremely slowly for whatever reason, its not till after the 10th minute or so we seem to start playing at all, against mayo in castlebar we were 1-1 down after 2 minutes but then completely outplayed mayo from the 10th minute onward, against galway we barely got out of our own 45 in the first 10mins and then over-ran them from the 12th min till halftime

any team that beats kerry, cork and meath in the run-in to the semi final have to be good, dublin beat cork (by same amount tipp did) and meath and now they are unbackable to win the whole thing........bookies :p

Wouldn't say we were really poor, looking back at the highlights on TG4 Armagh were shooting points that'd make Gooch jealous. I got the sense we were always a step behind Armagh in the second half and were it not for that missed point that dropped into the square we probably would have lost.

That said, we battled back from 0-4 to 0-1 to Armagh to 0-4 to 0-6 in our favour at half-time and the resilience and skill the team showed to come back from four points down in extra-time - after Armagh had dominated play for about 40 minutes by that point - was something special. No team can control tight games for 70 minutes and the ultimate judgement on the level of performance is did you win or did you lose.

It takes that little extra upstairs to be able to do what our minors did the last day and I came away thinking an All-Ireland title may not be beyond this team.

Young Corcoran was the key in my view, the point to level it was fantastic for such a young player and from a good distance out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Dublin have been impressive so far, though I do think the bookies have them way too short. There's definitely value in backing one of the other three at this stage.

Current odds with Paddy Power:

Dublin 2/5
    Ros 5/1
    Galway 11/2
    Tipp 9/1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

hope he doenst, i love the style of football he brought to the team. He is a good manager, and is well respected in the county

I dont know, i like him and think he has done gr8 for the county but maybe a different approach would be better for Roscommon

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I dont know, i like him and think he has done gr8 for the county but maybe a different approach would be better for Roscommon

If he can find a 70 minute version of what we played against (some of the most positive and skilful football played by any team) Tyrone for 55 minutes then we'll be very hard to beat by any team, no matter who they are. Who exactly would bring more to us than Fergal.

roscommon named same team that started against armagh, if i was kevin finn i would be asking myself what more i can do to start on this team, i know people will say he is a good man to bring on and that he is only 16 but the kid should be starting and he was best roscommon forward on display when he came on against armagh after 20mins

• Advertisement

roscommon named same team that started against armagh, if i was kevin finn i would be asking myself what more i can do to start on this team, i know people will say he is a good man to bring on and that he is only 16 but the kid should be starting and he was best roscommon forward on display when he came on against armagh after 20mins

I'd say Fintan Sweeney was even more impressive, but Finn was superb as well. I agree with Ross Shannon's decision to go with the first 15 as players like Shane Jordan hardly played badly and you really don't know how he'd work if you switched roles and had him coming off the bench. Stick with what's working is what I'd say, an All-Ireland semi-final isn't the time to be sticking your fist in the pie and fiddling about unless it's essential.

Advertisement