Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Another Bridge Strike

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish Rail will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

No doubt IE will incur at least some non-recoverable costs on a line it doesn't earn a penny on :rolleyes:

This is the sort of line I believe the NTA should be taking possession of, taking over negotiations for greenways etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Just for arguements sake the line was open and a train passing was imminent.... It would be a huge disaster..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The underside of that bridge looks fairly "rotten" that's for sure! Never been on the N52 but it looks narrow especially when you see some of the trucks on it in Google Streetview.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Just for arguements sake the line was open and a train passing was imminent.... It would be a huge disaster..

It'd have been far stronger if it was an open line, methinks it'd likely have collapsed with a 201 on top of it (Although the 201 class is 'banned' from the line according to the network statement).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This topic should be in the conspiracy theories forum.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Those flat steel bridges and stone arch bridges are the two that have the greatest worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have drove on that road a few times over the last few weeks and I can honestly say that there is no warning signs about the bridge and it's height before you actually see it,The road it's self is fairly narrow that only one truck/car could get by and it's on a bend so your literally going by it at about 10/20k any way,As a professional driver having a bridge strike is one of my worst nightmares the problem we seem to have is poor warning signs,Take the old N1 laytown to Drogheda all along that route there is low bridges as it's the Dublin to Belfast rail line yet from the main road there is no warning signs of a low bridge if you turn off onto one of the those roads.
    Another problem would be the local council resurfacing the roads adding a few inches without taking the bridge height into consideration or rectifying the signs with the new height.

I have drove on that road a few times over the last few weeks and I can honestly say that there is no warning signs about the bridge and it's height before you actually see it,The road it's self is fairly narrow that only one truck/car could get by and it's on a bend so your literally going by it at about 10/20k any way,As a professional driver having a bridge strike is one of my worst nightmares the problem we seem to have is poor warning signs,Take the old N1 laytown to Drogheda all along that route there is low bridges as it's the Dublin to Belfast rail line yet from the main road there is no warning signs of a low bridge if you turn off onto one of the those roads.
    Another problem would be the local council resurfacing the roads adding a few inches without taking the bridge height into consideration or rectifying the signs with the new height.

There are warning signs about the bridge at great distance before the final turnoff point (heading from the East) and at all approaches to the junction with the alternative route (heading from the West)...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think thats relevant in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Warning sign before the bridge just after R162 Junction,

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.786911,-6.733493&spn=0,0.009645&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.786971,-6.733334&panoid=K3bBbjqjtYVjSGa-TNZgmQ&cbp=12,27.84,,0,-8.71

the driver who wiped out this bridge passed this sign, he also passed signage in advance of the junction, resurfacing was not a factor here as his load was way to high by at least 10-12 inches.

Advertisement