Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should Donegal get a railway?

• 02-08-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

Just want to know people's opinions on a railway in Donegal connecting into Sligo perhaps and offering onward travel to Dublin and possibly in future Galway if the WRC is built. Do you think it could make money? offering an alternative to the 'car is king' county that is Donegal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yer man! wrote: »
    Just want to know people's opinions on a railway in Donegal connecting into Sligo perhaps and offering onward travel to Dublin and possibly in future Galway if the WRC is built. Do you think it could make money? offering an alternative to the 'car is king' county that is Donegal.
    There might be enough passengers for one or two railcars to run in each direction daily but at that all those people would want to travel at different times. as well as this the bus is probably going to be more direct and a lot faster and definitely a lot cheaper than the rail option. it could never make money in my opinion as it would be more expensive than rail lines in other parts of the country with more culverts embankments bridges and other parts requiring constant inspection and maintenance. It will never be worth it for the numbers that might use it once or twice a month at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Honestly, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that such a link would be viable. It would be even worse than the WRC as most of the infrastructure would have to be built from scratch, as opposed to rebuilt. Investing in the area's roads would be a better way of spending money in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Outside of our charter. Please move to Infrastructure or similar.

"This is a place for discuss rail fan / heritage types topics"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Perhaps they could reuse the rails from the Waterford/Limerick Junction and Limerick/Ballybrophy lines and see how far north from Sligo that reaches? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

corktina wrote: »

Well Western rail corridor is here so I thought it would be ok, I was obviously wrong.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

corktina wrote: »

This is "train & Rail systems"

Is this our first row on this forum - and I didn't start it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If it had any chance of working would have to consider linking it from Sligo and on to Derry. You would then have to consider linking it to the translink service, which would almost certainly invlove a new station in Derry considering its current location, or a dedicated bus connection service from either side of the Foyle.

Would be nice to have, but could turn into a bigger white elephant that the current WRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

irish-stew wrote: »
    Would be nice to have, but could turn into a bigger white elephant that the current WRC.

could -> would

it'd never work IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Snowflakes. Chance. hell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Moved to Infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

where is the demand going to come from?

as in, its 3 hours 5 min to get from Sligo to Dublin.
    Donegal town at the very south of the county is 65 km so about another hour away.

Bus Eireann already has a service that does Dublin in 3 1/2 hours, or a shade over 3 to the airport direct from Donegal town.

Who would ever take the longer MUCH MUCH more expensive train if it ever saw the light of day.

Not to mention that Donegal town is NOT Donegal county. A railway there is of no addition to vast swathes of the county that would still be dependent on a car for local journeys and busses quicker for public transport journeys to major centres like Belfast or Derry or Dublin.

As i asked before, is there even an attempt at a business case for these pinings for a bit of rail track in Donegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NITransport

The only possible viable way of Donegal getting rail is if it were to connect to a line running from Derry <-> Strabane <-> Omagh <-> Dungannon <-> Portadown.

It would however, most likely only be a commuter line, commencing at Letterkenny and terminating at Derry where you would either alight for the city or change train.

The Derry - Portadown route would in my opinion be viable if the speed of the line was above 60mph and it didn't need to stop at every flippin' hamlet along the route like every other NI rail route. I would assume many from Omagh would make use of the route to get to Belfast and Derry. (A lot more than currently use the WRC, and would ever use the theoretical Sligo to Donegal branch).

One last point to note is, after much thought on the Derry end of the hypothetical Portadown line is the investment/construction needed to get the rail line into the centre of the city. I arrived at the need for cut and cover tunnelling along this length:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Waterside+Link%2FA2%2FA5&daddr=Victoria+Rd%2FA5&hl=en&ll=54.991059,-7.314148&spn=0.007177,0.01929&sll=54.988006,-7.316251&sspn=0.007177,0.01929&geocode=FdYgRwMdHG2Q_w%3BFckORwMdfViQ_w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=16&z=16

As there's not a hope in hells chance of having a line run along the river bank, reinstating the original station used for this route would also not attract many passengers and I think there'd need to be a new station at the end of the peace bridge to attract even more potential passengers. But alas, even the more viable route (in my opinion) would cost to much. So we need to concentrate on the roads first.

Comments welcome on my thoughts for such a scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Irishlad11

What about if it was built on a route like this

-Letterkenny
    -Derry
    -Lifford/Strabane
    -Omagh
    -Monaghan to Castlebayney to Carrickmacross to Dundalk to Dublin

or

Monaghan to Clones to Cavan to Virginia to Kells to Navan to Dublin

Much of this route would have to be built from scratch but at least it would be serving areas of the island which currently don't have any rail services and it would be serving large towns as well.

Anyway wasn't there a railway from Sligo through Donegal - you can see remains of the railway at Barnsore Gap - surely a railway can be built on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

yer man!

about the same likelihood of happening as the West Cork or North Kerry (Tralee-Rathkeale) railway lines being reopened.

dowlingm wrote: »
    yer man!

about the same likelihood of happening as the West Cork or North Kerry (Tralee-Rathkeale) railway lines being reopened.

Nah, more chance of reopening the Birr/Portumna line. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I was gonna suggest Cork -> Macroom given that part of the route is submerged and all. ;)

Come to think of it don't you have one already - so don't get greedy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wasn't that one robbed in the 19th century. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Wasn't that one robbed in the 19th century. :cool:

Yup that's the one, here's a brief article in "The New Zealand Railways Magazine, Volume 2, Issue 11 (March 1, 1928)"

http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-Gov02_11Rail-t1-body-d19.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Funny enough it was the only line that you know who never advocated reopening and all (page 11) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I would love a train service to Donegal. I used to fly the Dublin - Derry route to avoid the bus, taking 4 hours and sometimes 5+. When I was last up in Letterkenny two weeks back, there was a nice display in the main shopping centre of old pictures of the towns train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I would love a train service to Donegal. I used to fly the Dublin - Derry route to avoid the bus, taking 4 hours and sometimes 5+. When I was last up in Letterkenny two weeks back, there was a nice display in the main shopping centre of old pictures of the towns train station.

I'd love to see interplanetary spaceship services, but no matter what the NASA budget, somethings are just not doable for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Come to think of it don't you have one already - so don't get greedy!

I'm not actually from Donegal, nowhere near it in fact. I just have a lot of friends who live there and hate getting the bus as it's so uncomfortable to be on for that length of time. I also found it really weird how some of them had never seen an Irishrail train before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I'm not actually from Donegal, nowhere near it in fact. I just have a lot of friends who live there and hate getting the bus as it's so uncomfortable to be on for that length of time. I also found it really weird how some of them had never seen an Irishrail train before.
    Well a train via Sligo or Derry would be no quicker as I pointed out before.
    EDIT: so the only extra comfort is the leg room or a toilet, both which are available on busses if the provider would put on such Vehicles. Maybe you need a better bus company to spend a few grand rather than the taxpayer billions on a railway!

Anyhow, It would only cost many hundreds of millions to build a railway, if not billions, and swallow a subsidy of at least tens of millions per year.
    And be of no use to the majority of people in the area who ignore it because they live nowhere near it and take the car or bus instead(also noting that in Ireland busses don't act as feeders to trains so unless you can walk or get a lift in a car to it, you don't take the train!!)
    And even the theoretical max nr of passengers will never be reached as busses will poach passengers to beat the ban, offering a similar timed or better journey for less cash.

In so many ways, it's not even a starter let alone a runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I wouldn't really call it weird. Parts of Donegal are a couple of hours from the countries nearest railway station. No real need for them to be on or see an Irish Rail train.

I have lived in Ireland my self for a bout 12 years. 7 of that in Donegal, never seen a train here until I moved to Sligo, barr using the Dart anytime I went to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

We need to get our priorities right.;)

We should first concentrate on getting the inter-urban road to the North West sorted. This will not just simply help shorten the journey for commuters but for businesses too who need to deliver their goods and services to the rest of the country and so helping to improve the local and national economy.

When all of that is done, then and only then you should consider the train option. :)(of course all this totally depends on if the cash is available in the first place)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I'd love to see interplanetary spaceship services, but no matter what the NASA budget, somethings are just not doable for the time being.
    ha! lol - well the thread title did ask should Donegal get a railway - just answering yes! But thanks for the added feedback, you should start a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Donegal should definitively get a railway. However the Irish gov. doesn't have any money available for it. Knowing irish rail it would be roughly half an hour quicker than the bus route and double the price.

Do Irish Rail have high speed trains at all? I remember the last on I was on crawled for the entire journey. I'd love if the trains went faster. I'm not asking for a Maglev train but a train that went a consistent 120mph would be nice.

Advertisement