Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaper health effects compared to a non-smoker

• 27-07-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Planning on either quitting or becoming a vaper soon.

My main reason is health, whenever I quit I can lift heavier or do more reps in the gym. The vaper tempts me because all previous attempts at smoke quitting have failed.

Does the vaper affect your lungs at all? I know they are better than cigarettes, but compared to not smoking at all, is there a difference?

Also I average at approx 10 marlboro light a day. I don't bring them to work so all of that is between 6pm and 3am. + 1 in the morning before I leave for work.

probably spend 20-30euro a week. How does the vaper compare to that?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well first off you'll need to tell me how you found this forum when it hasn't even been released publicy but anyhow...

The jury is still very much out on what the long term effects vaping may or may not be. In the short term most people would probably agree that it certainly appears to give the exact same benefits as giving up smoking. In terms of how the liquid may affect your lungs bear in mind that the substance in most liquid, PG, is used in Asthma inhalers and fake smoke at rock concerts and so on so somebody somewhere that knows more about it than me considers it safe to inhale. If you search around you may also find the study some guy did exposing rats to huge amounts of PG vaour over a long period of time with no ill effects.*

If you spend €20-€30 a week on cigs I think you may still be able to save money but no guarantees. Think about it though it's a silly question. How much extra will it cost me to stop inhaling carcinogens?

* no rats in more modern times were harmed as this study was done years and years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just on the PG (Propylene Glycol) - I found I was allergic to it. Apparently, a small percentage of people are allergic. The alternative carrier fluid is VG (Vegetable Glycerin aka Glycerol).

OT: I saw a 250ml bottle of Glycerol in Boots Newry for less than £2 recently! Apparently it is the main ingredient in a lot of cough medicines.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Alopex wrote: »
    My main reason is health, whenever I quit I can lift heavier or do more reps in the gym. The vaper tempts me because all previous attempts at smoke quitting have failed.

Does the vaper affect your lungs at all? I know they are better than cigarettes, but compared to not smoking at all, is there a difference?

I'm not a fitness fanatic but I am a brass musician. I've noticed a huge improvement in my lung capacity and the depth of my breathing since switching to vaping three months ago. I know it's not exactly what you asked but it's along the same lines. This is just my own experience though, not exactly a scientific study. It feels like a full recovery of my lungs but I could probably give you a better answer if I had completely given up but I do imagine you'd notice a difference in the gym. Let us know how you get on if you try it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

For what it's worth a cardiologist told me that nicotine can cause spasms in the arteries so anyone with coronary problems shouldn't ingest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velocivaper

I'm not a great follower or participant in forums, I do feel that this one is well worth the effort, decided to give the the vaping its ultmate test i.e. go for a few pints, loved a fag with a pint. Result- no problem, vaped outside with the smokers, don't want to rock the boat. A bit of interest from the smokers, no free goes on the eGo: bogus cold sore excuse turns them right off. A chap I know for a couple of years turns up, had been missing for a while, needed two stools - one for him and one for his oxygen bottle. It seems like 40+ a day had caught up with him, he's about 60, smoking from nappies, smoke any more and he's done for. Don't know if he's really interested in vaping gave him the low down anyway, but it certainly reassured me that I'm on to a good thing.
    For me anyway I wake in the morning feeling great, chest feels "lighter" no nasty gunk from the nose, I never really had a smokers cough but not even a splutter now. About two days after starting vaping everything cleared up, breath is fresher, head clearer. The only thing I've noticed is that I fart a bit more, without being too graphic they don't smell. The other half who has a nose like a blood hound certainly notices a difference, even vaping in the house (I wouldn't have smoked) she reckons is a bit like somebody opened but not lit a Zippo, not at all unpleasant. This is all very positive so far.

• Advertisement

The only thing I've noticed is that I fart a bit more, without being too graphic they don't smell. The other half who has a nose like a blood hound certainly notices a difference.... she reckons is a bit like somebody opened but not lit a Zippo, not at all unpleasant.
    So, it's now "Who opened their lunch Zippo?" :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

Bubba9 wrote: »
    Concern has been expressed that the cigarettes, which contain nicotine, may produce harmful chemicals.

Had to laugh.

Thanks for the replies guys. Particularly Oh_noes because its lung function I want to improve. Chamipix keeps me off cigs for a few months but an occasional slip up/toke of a joint brings me back. That wont matter if 99.99% of my nicotine intake is vaping.

Really wish they had come out 15 years ago so there'd be some observational studies. Whilst they appear much safer than cigs due to less ingredients there's a little voice in my head saying "pure nicotine may cause throat cancer for some reason"

THough I think it will give it a go. There's no way this stuff could have an effect on the immune system in the same way as a cig

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tkavan

Gosh they are trying to take e-cigs away from us cause it doesn't bring them the huge revenue they get from tobacco. It's not our health they care about it's all about the dosh!
    Bubba9 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Nicotine has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant, it raises blood pressure, and is a vasoconstrictor, making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries. It causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v25/n8/full/0801654a.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 moone

Just stumbled upon this forum. Going to give vaping a go. Just need to decide on what to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Opit

Esel wrote: »
    Just on the PG (Propylene Glycol) - I found I was allergic to it. Apparently, a small percentage of people are allergic. The alternative carrier fluid is VG (Vegetable Glycerin aka Glycerol).

OT: I saw a 250ml bottle of Glycerol in Boots Newry for less than £2 recently! Apparently it is the main ingredient in a lot of cough medicines.

VG is used for feeding cows :D because is very sweet. Cows have a better appetite which results in faster growth.
    It's very cheap but not pure so keep that in mind, VG or PG for ecig must be Certified as USP, EP, FCC food grade.

- "Vegetable glycerin is a clear, colorless and odorless liquid. Used as an agent in cosmetics, shampoos, herbal remedies, soaps and other household items. It is both water and alcohol soluble and is invaluable as a natural source ingredient with emollient like properties that can soften and soothe the skin. It is also wonderful at absorbing moisture from the air and then retaining that moisture in cosmetic type products."

PG:
    - "Non-toxic antifreeze in breweries and dairies;
    brake fluid; substitute for ethylene glycol and
    glycerol; manufacture of synthetic resins. Added to
    foods as a humefactant or solvent for artificial
    colouring or flavouring agents. Is a component of
    cosmetic preparations.
    Solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral,
    injectable or topical formulations.
    Many oral and parenteral drug preparations contain
    propylene glycol in significant amounts as a
    solvent.
    Propylene glycol is used in making polyester compounds and as a solvent in the paint and plastics industries. It is used to create artificial smoke or fog for theatrical uses."

Opit wrote: »
    VG is used for feeding cows :D because is very sweet. Cows have a better appetite which results in faster growth.
    It's very cheap but not pure so keep that in mind, VG or PG for ecig must be Certified as USP, EP, FCC food grade.
    I'm certain that the bottle I saw in Boots Newry was safe for consumption, as I read the directions. I'll be getting a bottle next time I'm there.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

just some bits i came across via vaporcast on itunes from Bill Godshall of Smokefree Pennsylvania [hes an avid anti-smoker]

http://smokles.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/bill-godshall-at-vapefest-2010/
    and
    http://smokles.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/greetings-from-vapefest-philadelphia/

both are good reads and as anyone who heared the vapercast post vapefest 2010 bradcast heared he was the only anti smokeing person that went despite trying to get people to come with him to do air quality test ect

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Esel wrote: »
    I'm certain that the bottle I saw in Boots Newry was safe for consumption, as I read the directions. I'll be getting a bottle next time I'm there.

I bought a bottle of pure glycerin - BP today - is that safe?? shop assistant told me its safe to consume but thought I'd ask first. Also does anyone know where I can get menthol crystals? checked boots today and they don't have it :(

Elevelyn wrote: »
    I bought a bottle of pure glycerin - BP today - is that safe?? shop assistant told me its safe to consume but thought I'd ask first.
    If it is approved by the BP, it should be perfectly safe.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement