Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ Mag Top 100

• 26-07-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭

So with the DJ Mag Top 100 going live at midnight i'm just curious if anyone will be voting and if so for who?

I know a lot of people will probably say it's rubbish commercial crap or whatever but for those who take an interest i'm curious to hear some names.

It always seems to be Armin Van Burren on top or people like Guetta, Tiesto and the Mau5 as well as a few names i've never even heard of (Probably due to people finding ways to cheat and get their names in the top of that list)

Like DJ Facebender here:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

holden gets my vote, as would the likes of sven vath and my mate marc :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

To be honest, the results are always complete balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The DJ mag top 100 poll is a great example of why the majority of people with access to the internet are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Lumbo wrote: »
    The DJ mag top 100 poll is a great example of why the majority of people with access to the internet are idiots.

Why ja say that? Because of the people they vote for?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Why ja say that? Because of the people they vote for?

Sometimes it's because of who they don't vote for. It's popularity contest voted for by American kids who've only ever heard Trance music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭francois

They top 10 tend to be the names DJ mag feature every second issue anyway. This sort of poll will always feature the big commercial names regardless. personally I find it is best to ignore it, it doesn't reflect my tastes and is essentially meaningless

But the fact is people vote for their favourites. Which essentially is mostly Commercial DJ's. Doesn't make the poll meaningless. I don't like Trance one bit I mostly listen to House but I wouldn't belittle the poll because it's usually dominated by Trance DJ's.
    I do realise it is an egotistical kind of thing but I just don't agree with people who slam it straight away just because it's Commercial. Different folks - Different strokes yano. I wouldn't call Trance ****. It's just not my thing. I respect the DJ's who produce it and wouldn't call it crap or anything like that.

It's a good indication of the popularity of some DJ's out there. I wouldn't go praising the number one spot as the best DJ out there though. The way I see it is it's the DJ Mag Top 100 Popular DJ's rather than the actual best judging them by their production and DJ qualities.

But the fact is people vote for their favourites. Which essentially is mostly Commercial DJ's. Doesn't make the poll meaningless. I don't like Trance one bit I mostly listen to House but I wouldn't belittle the poll because it's usually dominated by Trance DJ's.
    I do realise it is an egotistical kind of thing but I just don't agree with people who slam it straight away just because it's Commercial. Different folks - Different strokes yano. I wouldn't call Trance ****. It's just not my thing. I respect the DJ's who produce it and wouldn't call it crap or anything like that.

It's a good indication of the popularity of some DJ's out there. I wouldn't go praising the number one spot as the best DJ out there though. The way I see it is it's the DJ Mag Top 100 Popular DJ's rather than the actual best judging them by their production and DJ qualities.

It's meaningless because you get some pretty **** ****ing DJ's ranking quite high. As you said, people vote for their favourite...and most people haven't a clue how to rate a DJ with regard to the technical elements that the act of DJing involves.

They merely think they are the best...like a 12 year old kid who is impressed with a fat guy teaching Karate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

so you can actually buy your award that lists your position
    http://www.djmag.com/shop/product/Awards/1/9214

(it seems my number 1 is 788 according to the mag :p )

It's meaningless because you get some pretty **** ****ing DJ's ranking quite high. As you said, people vote for their favourite...and most people haven't a clue how to rate a DJ with regard to the technical elements that the act of DJing involves.

They merely think they are the best...like a 12 year old kid who is impressed with a fat guy teaching Karate.

Yeah which is kinda what I was saying with the whole popularity thing rather than the judging the DJ's by their actual skills. I just use the result as a way of finding out who is the most popular DJ's out there. And you can see that by having Guetta at the top 5 spot as he's very popular now with his chart collaborations.

What do people usually judge their favourite DJ's on? Their productions, technical skills as a DJ or both? I would only be able to judge most by their music as I havent heard most of them live... mainly because living in Ireland big DJ's rarely are booked for gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

What do people usually judge their favourite DJ's on? .

the ability to wave their hands in the air

What do people usually judge their favourite DJ's on? Their productions, technical skills as a DJ or both? I would only be able to judge most by their music as I havent heard most of them live... mainly because living in Ireland big DJ's rarely are booked for gigs.

Not to sound pedantic, but their productions have **** all to do with their ability as a DJ to me, and the two are very separate things i reckon.

If you haven't seen a DJ live then it's kind of hard to judge them as a DJ and doing it based off their tracks is wrong, you are giving them DJ credit for their ability as a producer. :)

I can think of some DJ's that i quite like but wouldn't be massively fond of their own productions, i would rate them as good DJ's but not good producers (within the subjective limits of my own taste i should point out).

I can think of producers who's music i love but their sets and gigs leave me cold.

Two different sides of the coin i think.

To be honest, even with the amount of mixes and stuff doing the rounds from various people i tend to take them with a pinch of salt. I know myself how for a mix i can experiment with tunes and if i **** up a recording i can just go again. Live is a different thing and it's all on the line there...how a DJ does in the club has far more weight in my opinion.

Not to sound pedantic, but their productions have **** all to do with their ability as a DJ to me, and the two are very separate things i reckon.

If you haven't seen a DJ live then it's kind of hard to judge them as a DJ and doing it based off their tracks is wrong, you are giving them DJ credit for their ability as a producer. :)

I can think of some DJ's that i quite like but wouldn't be massively fond of their own productions, i would rate them as good DJ's but not good producers (within the subject limits of my own taste i should point out).

I can't think of producers who's music i love but their sets and gigs leave me cold.

Two different sides of the coin i think.

To be honest, even with the amount of mixes and stuff doing the rounds from various people i tend to take them with a pinch of salt. I know myself how for a mix i can experiment with tunes and if i **** up a recording i can just go again. Live is a different thing and it's all on the line there...how a DJ does in the club has far more weight in my opinion.

Yeah I agree I would only judge a DJ by the show (which I personally attend) he does rather than anything recorded or even live sets for that. It's not only about the tracks in my opinion as I think the atmosphere they build and track selection is also essential.

But for me I havent seen most of my favourites live or anything close to live. All I have to go off is their productions. So I usually judge them by that. For people visiting places abroad who get to see their favourite acts live they can make a more informed judgement.

Maybe one day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Riva Starr:
    251792_10150394201562538_29954867537_10716159_5220998_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Lads, lads, lads.......i think you are all missing the most relevant point,

What the fúck has a magazine got to do with electronic music & DJ'ing:pac:

Lads, lads, lads.......i think you are all missing the most relevant point,

What the fúck has a magazine got to do with electronic music & DJ'ing:pac:

Ehh it's a DJ Mag, hence articles about DJ's, music and the likes. That's like asking what the Auto Trader magazine has to do with car's.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ehh it's a DJ Mag, hence articles about DJ's, music and the likes. That's like asking what the Auto Trader magazine has to do with car's.

3003232946_f412af45c9-300x227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I couldn't give a shite what's in that magazine.

I couldn't give a shite what's in that magazine.

Me neither but that's beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

That's an entirely correct statment you make but one of the acts in the top 50 is Daft Punk who have not DJed in many a years so you'd have to question the point of this poll.

And seriously the top ten is just heartbreakingly awful...

• Advertisement

That's an entirely correct statment you make but one of the acts in the top 50 is Daft Punk who have not DJed in many a years so you'd have to question the point of this poll.

And seriously the top ten is just heartbreakingly awful...

Yeah the top 10 wouldn't be my choices I can tell you that but there's a lot of people who seem to like them.

I always find it weird how Van Burren is always on top. I never knew of him being a popular DJ until this poll. I could see Tiesto being up there or even nowadays Deadmau5 with the popularity of that ejit but I just never really hear many people list Van Burren as their favourite ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

But didn't a lot of the famous trance DJs make their names first as producers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Yeah the top 10 wouldn't be my choices I can tell you that but there's a lot of people who don't know any better seem to like them.
    Fixed

Nolanger wrote: »
    But didn't a lot of the famous trance DJs make their names first as producers?

Probably explains why a lot of famous trance DJ's can't DJ worth a **** but have a lot of people who think they can.

My point is still valid, someone ability to produce has nothing to do with their ability to DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Andy C,hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KangoSkank

Maya Jane Coles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igo678TTSKU&feature=related

This little lady will be featuring at the top of my vote list

KangoSkank wrote: »
    Maya Jane Coles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igo678TTSKU&feature=related

This little lady will be featuring at the top of my vote list

Seen her at Glastonbury. Had heard some of her productions before that but was well impressed with the set she played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Lumbo wrote: »
    Seen her at Glastonbury. Had heard some of her productions before that but was well impressed with the set she played.

Saw her in Panorama Bar, played a really nice set alright.

People that would be in the poll if DJ Mag wasn't ****.

Oneman
    Jackmaster
    Ben UFO
    Theo Parrish
    Ben Klock and all the Berghain/Panorama Bar residents (Prosumer/Steffi etc)
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

Saw her in Panorama Bar, played a really nice set alright.

People that would be in the poll if DJ Mag wasn't ****.

Oneman
    Jackmaster
    Ben UFO
    Theo Parrish
    Ben Klock and all the Berghain/Panorama Bar residents (Prosumer/Steffi etc)
    etc

Swap Ben UFO with Jackmaster and thats my top 3

• Advertisement
Advertisement