Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork v Mayo All Ireland Quarter Final - Discussion

• 24-07-2011 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭ lv4rwcog5yfmh0

Ok, everyone is predicting an easy win for Cork in this one.
    I think that Mayo will be stiffer opposition than they are being given credit for.
    Leaving the London game to one side, the Galway and Roscommon games were played in terrible conditions which didnt allow for pretty football. Mayo are really an unknown quantity (in good weather) and I think that James Horan is proving to be quite a good tactican.
    While I expect Cork to win, I think Mayo will make them work for it and go down fighting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Ok, everyone is predicting an easy win for Cork in this one.
    I think that Mayo will be stiffer opposition than they are being given credit for.
    Leaving the London game to one side, the Galway and Roscommon games were played in terrible conditions which didnt allow for pretty football. Mayo are really an unknown quantity (in good weather) and I think that James Horan is proving to be quite a good tactican.
    While I expect Cork to win, I think Mayo will make them work for it and go down fighting.

Aye, I agree there!! But let's just hope Cork are buying into the hype that's surrounding this forum at the minute...!!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not too many people will be putting their money on a Mayo win and rightly so. Cork should invariably win this match, not too many people would disagree with this.
    By how much is of course open to debate. If Cork 'turn up' like they did last night they should win by in excess of 10pts. If they take it for granted they could get caught out if Mayo play well. But I cannot see anything other than a reasonably comfortable win for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭ lv4rwcog5yfmh0

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Not too many people will be putting their money on a Mayo win and rightly so. Cork should invariably win this match, not too many people would disagree with this.
    By how much is of course open to debate. If Cork 'turn up' like they did last night they should win by in excess of 10pts. If they take it for granted they could get caught out if Mayo play well. But I cannot see anything other than a reasonably comfortable win for Cork.
    Now thats nothing short of complete arrogance that Cork are famous for.
    I remember talking to Cork supporters in Croker before the Kerry v Cork All Ireland and every Cork fan I met was cocksure of winning the game. Even Kerry people (who have a right to be cocky in such matters) dont hold a candle to the typical Cork supporters I meet.

Keep thinking 10 pt win - rest some of the better lads for the Kerry game - emm I'm liking this, Mayo might even win it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I remember talking to Cork supporters in Croker before the Kerry v Cork All Ireland and every Cork fan I met was cocksure of winning the game. Even Kerry people (who have a right to be cocky in such matters) dont hold a candle to the typical Cork supporters I meet.

Keep thinking 10 pt win - rest some of the better lads for the Kerry game - emm I'm liking this, Mayo might even win it!

Cork will beat mayo handy , bring on the kingdom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I rate Down as a better team than Mayo. If Cork play against Mayo in a similar manner like they did last night I fully expect a Cork win by more than 10 points - do you think Mayo are that far ahead of Down?

Obviously no one knows how each team will play on the day but Cork are equally capable of turning up and playing like they did in the first half against Kerry a few weeks ago. That said Mayo could produce a performace like the one away to London - it's all relative.

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    Cork will beat mayo handy , bring on the kingdom
    Too right - The real debate is on what players can be rested for the real game against Kerry:rolleyes:

I rate Down as a better team than Mayo. If Cork play against Mayo in a similar manner like they did last night I fully expect a Cork win by more than 10 points - do you think Mayo are that far ahead of Down?

Obviously no one knows how each team will play on the day but Cork are equally capable of turning up and playing like they did in the first half against Kerry a few weeks ago. That said Mayo could produce a performace like the one away to London - it's all relative.
    Indeed it is all relative. Mayo are provincial champions and Down are a shadow of the 2010 team so it is fair to say that I rate Mayo well ahead of Down in 2011
    Mayo don't look like world beaters, and as a Mayoman I am just happy to get back to Croke Park but talk of 10 point win is just disrespectful. Glad u mentioned the 1st half of the Kerry game - Cork looked ordinary enough then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

I remember talking to Cork supporters in Croker before the Kerry v Cork All Ireland and every Cork fan I met was cocksure of winning the game.

I find that very hard to believe, or at best, I think you must've met those Cork "supporters" who only travel for the final (of which there are many).

In 30 years going to Cork games, I have never ever felt cocksure of beating Kerry, and any supporters I know are in the same boat. In fact it's quite the opposite, we're so sick of losing to them, we only ever travel in hope when playing Kerry, particularly in Croke Park.

Also, I didn't think Shamobuc's comment was arrogant. He/she was right.....if Cork play like they did yesterday, they will beat Mayo. Remember, only Kerry have beaten Cork in Championship football in the last 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Cork are going to demolish Mayo. They are a much better team and are going to win by a comfortable margin.

eigrod wrote: »
    I find that very hard to believe, or at best, I think you must've met those Cork "supporters" who only travel for the final (of which there are many).

In 30 years going to Cork games, I have never ever felt cocksure of beating Kerry, and any supporters I know are in the same boat. In fact it's quite the opposite, we're so sick of losing to them, we only ever travel in hope when playing Kerry, particularly in Croke Park.

Also, I didn't think Shamobuc's comment was arrogant. He/she was right.....if Cork play like they did yesterday, they will beat Mayo. Remember, only Kerry have beaten Cork in Championship football in the last 7 years.
    I'm not expecting Mayo to win and I fully respect Cork but loose talk of 10+ pt win is arrogant. As I said earlier, I expect Mayo to make a game of it and hoprfully be still in with a shout with 10 minutes to go.

I stand by what I said about the Cork fans I have met. Your experiences, obviously, differ from mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Glad u mentioned the 1st half of the Kerry game - Cork looked ordinary enough then

So, you asked us to leave aside Mayo's performance in London, but you want Cork's 1st half performance against Kerry to be considered ?

The vast majority will go for an easy Cork win. Conor Counihan will be working on the team to ensure that complacency doesn't set in.

I predict an easy Cork win, but this is sport and surprises happen...otherwise nobody would bother travelling to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Have to agree with Fencer, Mayo by ten and Kerry people are the greatest in the world.

Orizio wrote: »
    Have to agree with Fencer, Mayo by ten and Kerry people are the greatest in the world.

You enlighten us all;)

unknown13 wrote: »
    Cork are going to demolish Mayo. They are a much better team and are going to win by a comfortable margin.
    why waste your crystal ball on trivial matters, the lotto numbers is what u should be using it for;)

Indeed it is all relative. Mayo are provincial champions and Down are a shadow of the 2010 team so it is fair to say that I rate Mayo well ahead of Down in 2011
    Mayo don't look like world beaters, and as a Mayoman I am just happy to get back to Croke Park but talk of 10 point win is just disrespectful. Glad u mentioned the 1st half of the Kerry game - Cork looked ordinary enough then

Fair enough. But if it were Down V Mayo my money would be on Down, make no mistake about it. You might take that to be disrespectful but it's not meant to be. I thought Cork would beat Down by about 5 or 6 pts to be honest. They beat them by double that.
    The way I see it, if both teams play to their potential Cork will win - I've no doubt about that. If Mayo put in a particularly Croke Park esque performace then it will be interesting how much will be between the teams at the final whistle.
    If you had to put all your money on a bet on what team would win and by how much - honestly - what would be your preferred bet? Just out of curiosity?

eigrod wrote: »
    So, you asked us to leave aside Mayo's performance in London, but you want Cork's 1st half performance against Kerry to be considered ?

The vast majority will go for an easy Cork win. Conor Counihan will be working on the team to ensure that complacency doesn't set in.

I predict an easy Cork win, but this is sport and surprises happen...otherwise nobody would bother travelling to the game.
    I only asked to leave aside the London game when making the point about the weather being the biggest factor in Mayo's championship so far. I wasnt looking for the London game to be set aside altogether. The London game was our first championship game and we have moved on a bit from that.

I only asked to leave aside the London game when making the point about the weather being the biggest factor in Mayo's championship so far. I wasnt looking for the London game to be set aside altogether. The London game was our first championship game and we have moved on a bit from that.

ye'll need to move on a fair bit the next day to avoid an unmerciful hiding;)

Fair enough. But if it were Down V Mayo my money would be on Down, make no mistake about it. You might take that to be disrespectful but it's not meant to be. I thought Cork would beat Down by about 5 or 6 pts to be honest. They beat them by double that.
    The way I see it, if both teams play to their potential Cork will win - I've no doubt about that. If Mayo put in a particularly Croke Park esque performace then it will be interesting how much will be between the teams at the final whistle.
    If you had to put all your money on a bet on what team would win and by how much - honestly - what would be your preferred bet? Just out of curiosity?
    To answer your hypothetical scenario of having to bet my life savings I would bet Cork by two but, in the real world I will put a small sum (€20) on Mayo in the handicap if the odds reflect the sentiments being expressed here.
    I dont think its disrespectful to expect to win but 10 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

give me cork cockiness over kerry cuteness anyday

BERBA wrote: »
    ye'll need to move on a fair bit the next day to avoid an unmerciful hiding;)
    Yes, we will need to improve, we know this. How will Cork prepare for this, given that a 10 pt thumping is in the bag?

• Advertisement

Yes, we will need to improve, we know this. How will Cork prepare for this, given that a 10 pt thumping is in the bag?

Cork in no win situation for this game , key for Cork is to avoid more injuries for the showdown with Kerry

To answer your hypothetical scenario of having to bet my life savings I would bet Cork by two but, in the real world I will put a small sum (€20) on Mayo in the handicap if the odds reflect the sentiments being expressed here.
    I dont think its disrespectful to expect to win but 10 points?

Well obviously it's hypothetical, what else would it be?
    I reckon you would get fairly good odds for Mayo minus 3 or 4 points - I wouldn't go there myself but work away.
    If I had to put big money on a bet I would go Cork obviously. By how much would depend on the odds. I would imagine the odds would be fairly poor for a Cork win minus a couple of points.

If kerry play like they did in the first half ( against Cork ) I would expect a win by more than 10 points against Limerick - that's not being disrespectul to Limerick, in my honest opinion, it's simply being realistic. I would love for Limerick to beat Kerry, but I just cannot see it happening - in Croke Park especially. They could of course push Kerry all the way and I think they will give it a right lash, but will come up short in the end.

I think that there is alot of similarities between those two games and would expect a Cork and Kerry win by similar margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Cork are a bogey team for Mayo going years back. I don't expect any change in that this year.

Hardly in the bag. But if they perform like they did last night I can see that happening.
    The problem will of course be complacency and not performing like ( as I have mentioned) the first half of the Kerry game. But then again if we performed like we did in the second half of that game we should win.
    Mayo don't have too many fond memories of Croke Park - that might change.....or stay the same...time will tell.

Hardly in the bag. But if they perform like they did last night I can see that happening.
    The problem will of course be complacency and not performing like ( as I have mentioned) the first half of the Kerry game. But then again if we performed like we did in the second half of that game we should win.
    Mayo don't have too many fond memories of Croke Park - that might change.....or stay the same...time will tell.
    Croke Park has many happy memories for me when you exclude the AI finals. Our 2004 win over reigning champions Tyrone and our 2006 semi final win over Dublin being particularly notable.
    I am hoping for Mayo to give a good account for themselves and keep the scoreline respectable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

As a Galwayman, I have no great love for Mayo football.

But having read some of the cocky Cork rubbish
    here I genuinely hope Mayo go on to beat Cork.

Up the West. :p

Lapin wrote: »
    As a Galwayman, I have no great love for Mayo football.

But having read some of the cocky Cork rubbish
    here I genuinely hope Mayo go on to beat Cork.

Up the West. :p

bit sore after thumping ye got today Lappin:D

Flukey wrote: »
    Cork are a bogey team for Mayo going years back. I don't expect any change in that this year.
    thats horse manure - this is a new Mayo team and past performances by previous Mayo teams will not decide this game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

My big fear going into the quarter finals was getting Cork because I fear they have the potential to give this very young and inexperienced Mayo team a hammering.

All Mayo need is to put in a performance in Croke Park this year to round off a reasonably successful 1st season in charge for James Horan.

The ritual sacrifice of a Mayo in Croker like the one in the 2010 league Final would undo any good work this year.

That is my big fear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

roscommon held mayos full forward line scoreless from play, in fact mayos starting 15 only scored 2 points from play last sunday, they lost every battle but on the scoreboard, roscommon had more chances, more possession, they won more ball at midfield, more wides

would like to see mayo win but can't see it

Advertisement