Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

• 10-07-2011 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Often the forum has the same similiar queries about thinking of taking up biking. Here is a good article from Motorcycle Action Group Ireland on starting. Obviously there will be the odd question on what type of bike they should start on etc, but most information regarding the law, license, basic training etc are in this -

So you want to ride a motorcycle, and you are not sure where to start?
    The basic steps are 1) Do the driver theory test, 2) Get your Learner Permit, 3) Do your Initial Basic Training with an approved instructor, 4) Sit the practical test.
    Minimum Age:
    There are legal restrictions on what types of vehicle you can drive at what age.
    • 16 to ride a moped – Category M license.
    • 16 to ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity not exceeding 125 c.c’s and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kilowatts.
    • 18 or over to ride a motorcycle over 125c.c. but with a max power output of 25kw / 33b.h.p. or a power to weight ratio of 0.16kw/kg.
    Step 1: The Driver Theory Test
    Before applying for a learner permit, you must pass a test of general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation – the driver theory test. It applies to anyone applying for a first learner permit in any vehicle category. To quote the RSA;
    The test is designed to check knowledge of topics such as:
    • Rules of the Road
    • Risk perception
    • Eco-driving
    • Hazard awareness
    • Good driving behaviour
    Computer-based and easy to use, the theory test is designed for those who have little or no experience of using computers as well as those who do. You can do a practice session on the day before starting on the actual test.
    Apply by Phone;
    Driver Theory Service:
    1890 606 106 (English language)
    1890 606 806 (Irish language)
    1890 616 216 (text phone – for the hearing-impaired)
    Or by post;
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Cork
    Cost is: €35.60.
    Step 2: Getting your Learner Permit.
    If you are applying for your first learner permit you must include a theory test certificate along with your learner-permit application.
    Note that these certs have a ‘lifespan’ of two years from date of issue, so you must apply for the Learner Permit within two years of date of issue of the theory test certificate.
    What is a “Learner Permit”?
    A learner permit is a licence issued to learner drivers. It enables them to learn to drive and to apply for a driving test at the same time.
    The learner permit replaces the old provisional licence, which is no longer issued.
    N.B: a Learner Permit is issued for each class of licence – so you need a Class ‘A’ permit for a Class ‘A vehicle. Class ‘A1’ permit for a Class ‘A1’ vehicle etc.

Don’t forget The “L” Plate. To quote the RSA:
    Drivers of vehicles in categories A(Motorcyle,no greater than 125cc), A1(Motorcyles) and M(Mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Step 3: Initial Basic Training (I.B.T.)
    From Dec. 6th 2010:
    All new first time learner permit holders for motorcycles are required to undertake Initial Basic Training (IBT) with an Approved Driving Instructor (ADI).
    The course is 16 hours spread over 4 modules. Once this course of lessons is complete the learner permit holder will be issued with a certificate which must be kept with their learner permit.
    • Motorcycle riders must complete the programme before driving unsupervised on the road while a learner.
    • Evidence of completing the lessons will be signed off in a learner’s logbook by the Approved Driving Instructor.
    • Evidence of having taken the lessons will have to be presented before taking a driving test.
    I.B.T. is done in four modules. The specific detail of these modules is as set out below. (Taken from the RSA information booklet)
    The IBT motorcycle training modules
    Module 1 has six objectives. You will need at least three hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Personal protective equipment (PPE)
    2. Introduction to motorcycle controls
    3. Technical checks
    4. Placing motorcycle on and off the stand
    5. Walking alongside the motorcycle
    6. How to start and stop the engine
    Module 2 has 10 objectives. You will need at least five hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Moving off and stopping
    2. Use of brakes
    3. Use of gears
    4. Slow riding
    5. Figure of eight
    6. U-turn
    7. Slalom
    8. Rear observation and mirrors
    9. Turning left and right
    10. Emergency adjustment of speed
    Module 3 has nine objectives. You will need at least two hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Legal requirements
    2. Rules of the road
    3. Being seen
    4. Road surfaces
    5. Road and lane position
    6. Rear observations and mirrors
    7. Speed
    8. Anticipation and reaction
    9. Weather conditions
    Module 4 has eight objectives. You will need at least six hours to achieve them. They cover:
    1. Gradients
    2. Junctions
    3. Traffic lights
    4. Roundabouts
    5. Safe distance
    6. Anticipation and reaction
    7. Pedestrian crossings
    8. Bends
    During this module your trainer will be in radio link with you from his/her own motorcycle on a public road. They will supply the radios. Please note: You may have to supply your own PPE for any or all of the training – please check with your trainer.”
    Restrictions:
    “A motorcyclist applying for a first-time learner permit is restricted to riding motorcycles with an engine power output not more than 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not more than 0.16 kW/kg. Such restriction applies for the duration of all learner permits and for the first two years after taking out a full driving licence in category A.”
    (For a full explanation of the 25Kw restriction, see the MAG Ireland Information Sheet 25Kw License Facts)
    A person who holds a learner permit in:
    • Vehicle categories A1/A and M (motorcycles/mopeds) is not permitted to carry a passenger.
    • Any vehicle category is not allowed to carry any passenger for reward. (So, you cannot work as a courier or pizza delivery for example.)
    Vehicles in categories A, A1 and M (motorcyles and mopeds) must also display L plates at all times. The plates must be displayed on a yellow fluorescent tabard worn over the person’s outside clothing. The letter L should be at least 15cm high and appear as red on a white background and in clearly visible vertical positions to the front and rear of the person’s body.
    Note:
    A number of penal offenses have been introduced for learner drivers. These include not displaying ‘L’ plates when driving, and the carrying of a passenger by a learner motorcyclist. These offenses are punishable by a minimum €1,000 fine for a first offense.
    The 6 month wait for a test:
    if you are granted a learner permit for vehicles in category A, A1, or M, and have not held a learner permit in the five-year period prior to the granting of a permit in any of these categories you cannot sit a driving test within six months of your permit coming into force, although you may apply for a test within this period. The code 991 will be printed on your license opposite the vehicle category in the column headed ‘restrictions/information.’
    The Practical Test
    The RSA has a written a very good article on their own website about the test – it’s here;
    http://rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/
    The test fee is now €75!!!
    So it only makes sense that if at all possible – you only have to do this once!

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/getting-on-the-road/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Oh...and trust no-one..not even other bikers
    Everyone is out to cripple you...
    Wood pigeons hurt..a lot...
    Wet gear leaks...
    Grass banks are'nt soft...
    Pedestrians will never see you..
    Your headllight just annoys car drivers...

Dry manhole covers are still slippy..
    Wave/nod to other bikers...dont be ignorant..
    Bus lanes ARE'NT that safe...
    Expect the un-expected..
    Not all Harley/Ducati riders are twats.......:p

please add yours...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ride the way you feel comfortable. Don't push on because the mob is pushing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

cantdecide wrote: »
    Ride the way you feel comfortable. Don't push on because the mob is pushing on.

After you get going and do the normal stuff always remember this....

Know your limits and stay in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Worthy of a sticky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Worthy of a sticky
    My very own thoughts when I seen the article as the same questions about getting started appear over and over again ( I think there's two running at the moment ).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It would be great if someone had some knowledge of the freakier questions like;

-'I had a prov license that expired 1/3/5/7 years ago' and
    -'I did a theory test for a car 1/3/5/7 years - do I do another theory test now'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭amacca

Sids Not wrote: »
    Not all Harley/Ducati riders are twats.

Hey....I beg your pardon , I'm a complete twat.

Its Dew.kaaati btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

lol some funny comment there!

very good thread, +1 on it being stickied!

may i just add one... girls can ride bikes too, so if you are a girl and want to learn...go for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

cantdecide wrote: »
    It would be great if someone had some knowledge of the freakier questions like;

-'I had a prov license that expired 1/3/5/7 years ago' and
    -'I did a theory test for a car 1/3/5/7 years - do I do another theory test now'.

This doesn't answer the question in full, but this part worked out fine for me. Did theory test in '04/'05 so didn't need to do theory

A Theory Test cert issued prior to 21st October 2006 in respect of the category B (car) entitles applicants to apply for first Learner permit in respect of the categories A, A1, M and W also, provided that the theory cert was presented to the Motor Tax Office within two years of the date of issue and you have kept your car licence in date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

good thread lads - helpful tips and yes drive like others are out to get you! lol (i'll find out soon enough!)
    maameeo wrote: »
    may i just add one... girls can ride bikes too, so if you are a girl and want to learn...go for it! :D
    yup us girls can if we wish - lol and some of the guys don't mind either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Is it possible to/would it make sense to do the I.B.T before actually buying a bike?

If one bought a bike before doing it you won't actually be legally allow ride it? So how are you even going to get the bike home or get the bike to wherever going to do the I.B.T?

Sorry for the confusion but it feels similar to people coming out of college looking to get a job. Can't get a job cos one has no experience, & can't get experience cos no job. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Is it possible to/would it make sense to do the I.B.T before actually buying a bike?

If one bought a bike before doing it you won't actually be legally allow ride it? So how are you even going to get the bike home or get the bike to wherever going to do the I.B.T?

Was also thinking this, having recently decided to get into biking and been reading up on how to get the license etc...

One local motorbike school charges €500 for the IBT on your own bike, while it's €600 on a school-provided bike. Would prefer the cheaper option but how would I get my own bike there? Hoist it into the boot of the car and ferry it over?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Morgoth wrote: »
    Would prefer the cheaper option but how would I get my own bike there? Hoist it into the boot of the car and ferry it over?? :confused:
    Van, Bike trailer?
    As a bonus you will also learn the dark art of tying a motorcycle down.:D

Morgoth wrote: »
    One local motorbike school charges €500 for the IBT on your own bike, while it's €600 on a school-provided bike. Would prefer the cheaper option but how would I get my own bike there? Hoist it into the boot of the car and ferry it over?? :confused:

Surely if "Motorcycle riders must complete the programme before driving unsupervised on the road while a learner" the I.B.T shouldn't even be offered to be done on your own bike. I dunno! Or is it an another irish case of ara sure you'll be grand! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

My bro done the ibt and two lads used there own bike. Nothing was said to them, sure he also said they drove off with not learner vest on either.

Sure what can the instructor say....!

Actually, can you get insurance without the ibt?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭HTB

Sids Not wrote: »
    Oh...and trust no-one..not even other bikers
    Everyone is out to cripple you...
    Wood pigeons hurt..a lot...
    Wet gear leaks...
    Grass banks are'nt soft...
    Pedestrians will never see you..
    Your headllight just annoys car drivers...

Dry manhole covers are still slippy..
    Wave/nod to other bikers...dont be ignorant..
    Bus lanes ARE'NT that safe...
    Expect the un-expected..
    Not all Harley/Ducati riders are twats.......:p

please add yours...;)

The Father Jack response :)

Oh...and trust no-one..not even other bikers..............YES
    Everyone is out to cripple you..................................YES
    Wood pigeons hurt..a lot.........................................YES
    Wet gear leaks......................................................YES
    Grass banks are'nt soft...........................................YES
    Pedestrians will never see you..................................YES
    Your headllight just annoys car drivers.......................YES

Dry manhole covers are still slippy.............................YES
    Wave/nod to other bikers...dont be ignorant...............YES
    Bus lanes ARE'NT that safe......................................YES
    Expect the un-expected..........................................YES
    Not all Harley/Ducati riders are twats.......:p ............That would be an Ecumenical Matter !!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I've made this a sticky as requested. I agree with so many learner/start questions popping up time and time again, keeping them all to one thread should help a lot. Please report any new posts that should be moved to here.

Also please let us know any other threads with useful information that we can copy here. Hopefully this can grow to be a great thread full of useful information for anyone with Questions about getting into biking or taking the test etc etc

Any other comments or suggestions welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

I found a guy that's doing the IBT for 400 quid, or 470 if you use one of his bikes. I've nothing to do with his business, but I'll be using him myself. Not sure if I can post details here or not. Mod decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Hey guys, I want to go and do my theory for a bike license. My question is, I've already got a full car license, will the A-category be stamped onto that or will I get a whole new Learner Permit?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This is one of the most asked questions. No, having a car licence means nothing if you want to ride a motorbike, you still have to go through the whole process. Have a read of some of the threads for further details :)

Zascar wrote: »
    This is one of the most asked questions. No, having a car licence means nothing if you want to ride a motorbike, you still have to go through the whole process. Have a read of some of the threads for further details :)

I think you misread my question :o

I know my license means nothing...I mean will I be getting a whole new Learner Permit, or will the A-Category get stamped with a Learner code on my Pink license?

Oh sorry! I think you get a separate provisional for the bike but when you get your full licence the two go on the one licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Yeah Zascar is right, I have a full car license and a seperate bike provisional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

Surely if "Motorcycle riders must complete the programme before driving unsupervised on the road while a learner" the I.B.T shouldn't even be offered to be done on your own bike. I dunno! Or is it an another irish case of ara sure you'll be grand! :p

Why should IBT not be offered to people who want to use their own bike?
    It's cheaper to use your own bike.
    They must get the bike delivered to the compound and must have valid insurance and road tax.

My bro done the ibt and two lads used there own bike. Nothing was said to them, sure he also said they drove off with not learner vest on either.

Sure what can the instructor say....!

Actually, can you get insurance without the ibt?

Yes you can get your bike insured before you do your IBT as you have to have it if you wanted to use your own bike for the course.

Ride Safe wrote: »
    Why should IBT not be offered to people who want to use their own bike?

For the exact reason i mentioned in the bit you quote me? :confused:

EDIT: ah i get ya. Who in reality though is going to go through the hassle of trying to transport a bike to & from wherever your doing it I.B.T? It would probably work out cheaper to do it on a provided bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

Is there any where online that you can look at the theary test book?

• Advertisement

For the exact reason i mentioned in the bit you quote me? :confused:

EDIT: ah i get ya. Who in reality though is going to go through the hassle of trying to transport a bike to & from wherever your doing it I.B.T? It would probably work out cheaper to do it on a provided bike.

I have had a few people use their own bikes for the IBT course. Some have got a mate to ride it to the compound others have used trailers or vans.

They wanted to learn on their own bikes.

Advertisement