Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Show us yer tank! (DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

get yourself into tesco and pick up a couple of their 5l mineral water for like 2 quid. the plasstic container is ideal for water changes.

I use two if them to store water in for a few hours and empty the tank with a 2l milk bottle

cheap and effective :D

I have some big plastic bottles that I fill for the water change. If the water stays for ~1 week, do I still need the likes of Seachem Prime when I do the water change?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

WIZE wrote: »
    Can all chat be moved to a new thread

Its kinda defeating the purpose of the thread title:o

I've asked the mods :)

m4r10 wrote: »
    I have some big plastic bottles that I fill for the water change. If the water stays for ~1 week, do I still need the likes of Seachem Prime when I do the water change?

Yep, as the only thing that will change is the chlorine will dissipate, but the metals and minerals in the water will remain. Also, the Prime helps reduce negative effects of nitrates and helps keep the fish healthy.

That said my dad has an 8 year old goldfish that's never had any water treatments whatsoever, but his water is weird :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can spring water be used in the tank? Obviously wouldn't do it all the time but bought two 5L bottles to use for getting the water to the right temp but since the mineral water is already at room temperature thought it might be a nice short-cut!?

Sleepy wrote: »
    Can spring water be used in the tank? Obviously wouldn't do it all the time but bought two 5L bottles to use for getting the water to the right temp but since the mineral water is already at room temperature thought it might be a nice short-cut!?

Read somewhere it was not a good idea to use for fish, but tbh, I have no clue why this is. I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue as a once off, and added as a 25% change, it'd be diluted enough with the remaining tank water.

Rough guess, I will not be held responsible for any fish death, mutation or developing of super powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I use RO/DI water ... although with the marine system with the SPS and LPS I can't be cutting corners when it comes to water!

I fill around 80litres of RO/DI water and mix with D+D salt, leave it to sit for 2 days with heater and aerator running, after 2 days it's ready for a water change.

I'm currently doing a water change once every 2/3 weeks. Skimmer gets cleaned out when needed.

Lost another minnow yesterday :(. 25% water change done. Test readings taken an hour after:

PH - 8
    Ammonia - Trace (lighter colour than lowest but not perfectly clear)
    Nitrite - Between 0.01 and 0.025
    Nitrate - Trace (extremely light colour).

Another 25% change planned for tonight, water treated last night and bottled in the room to get temp up for use tonight.

Getting a mildew buildup ono the tank ornaments. Anything I can add that would kill that that's harmless to the fish?

I use RO/DI water ... although with the marine system with the SPS and LPS I can't be cutting corners when it comes to water!

I fill around 80litres of RO/DI water and mix with D+D salt, leave it to sit for 2 days with heater and aerator running, after 2 days it's ready for a water change.

I'm currently doing a water change once every 2/3 weeks. Skimmer gets cleaned out when needed.

RO/DI?
    SPS?
    LPS?
    D+D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Guys, this is a picture thread.
    You will get more replies if you use the forum for questions

I've asked the Mods but not had any response...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Sleepy wrote: »
    RO/DI?
    SPS?
    LPS?
    D+D?

I'm a marine keeper :D

RO/DI - reverse osmosis/deionised water
    SPS - Small Polyp Stoney (Hard Corals such as acropora where the polyp's (heads) are 'small')
    LPS - Large Polyp Stoney (Hard corals such as Brain Coral and candy canes where the polyp's are large.)
    D+D - just the brand of salt I use, it's a brilliant brand, their test kits are brilliant!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mine,as of today.:)

DSCF8494.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Smashing setup Paddy147 looks fantastic.

What are the foreground plants and is that java moss on the wood?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

m8 wrote: »
    Smashing setup Paddy147 looks fantastic.

What are the foreground plants and is that java moss on the wood?

Java moss on the woods allright.

The rest.....havent a bloody clue,as my girlfriend bought the plants and set the tank up.

I did the really hard work though,I made the tea and took the pics.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

My oscars..very hard to photograph!!

166959.jpg

166960.jpg

My tank with tetras and barbs

166961.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

167512.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Nice tank WIZE. What type of light have you got there?

there's a white light at the back ad UV light at the front , . I need to get a stronger white light

I also want to get some spots like the ones you had if you know where i can buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

New Marine T8 light and Moon spots in the Tank

168994.jpg
    168995.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Only started keeping fish last week in my new 100L tank So not much in it hoping to get some plants etc in soon, shop had none in stock.(Not sure hot to show picture in post.)[[IMG][/img]IMG_2655.jpg[IMG][/img]IMG_2656.jpg

WIZE, those pics don't nearly do your tank justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭keithb93

Hey guys heres my pride and joy, its not finished yet though ;)

171602.JPG
    Dory's new 100l tank (think WIZE has a pic of the same tank with a very different setup a few pages back on this thread!).

Had 50l of water from the tank that cracked along with substrate, ornaments and a live filter which will hopefully ensure a quick cycle (cleaned the tank with a razor blade and some tank water to avoid adding any dangerous chemicals). Testing fine at the moment but will be keeping a close eye on it due to having to add Dory in so fast (certainly preferable to the bucket she was in though!)

WIZE, did you use the same moonlights as fred funk }{ posted above?

Yours seem more directionally used than the ebay ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

My First aquarium is a second hand 120ltr juwel rekord. I'm currently cycling, hope to start off with an angel fish and tetras fairly soon...
    aquariumr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

fguinan wrote: »
    My First aquarium is a second hand 120ltr juwel rekord. I'm currently cycling, hope to start off with an angel fish and tetras fairly soon...
    aquariumr.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

where are you living

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

WIZE wrote: »
    fguinan wrote: »

where are you living

In Maynooth.

• Advertisement

i can give you an Angel fish . im in Celbridge . its about 4 inches

Advertisement