Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you a one site airsofter ?

• 18-07-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Is it a misconception that most airsofters stick to one site to play on ? I try to play on different sites and with/against different players to stop things from getting stale. I have played on about 7 different sites , some totally different than others but as they say a change is as good as a rest. Do you prefer to just play one site or try all that Ireland or further afield has to offer ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I am, I find airsoft sites/shops are like pubs, we all have our favourite where we like to go week in week out, ocasionally we hear about some new place with all the bells and whistles, and we go there to see what the hype is about but at the end of it all we still go back to our favourites, where the craic is best ( in our opinion) where we are the most comfortable, and we know we will have a good time from the time we go in till the time we leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Well said that man! Have to agree with Thermo, I am a one site airsofter.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

Interesting topic.
    I love to travel around all the sites. I don't see the point in sticking to one. It would just get boring very quick. As part of a team we try our best not to visit the same site twice in a row. Variety is best in my opinion. New site means new games and new people. I don't understand the players that go to the same sites week in week out and talk to the same people week in and week out. I understand the young lads that don't drive and are limited to where they can play but that's about it. And anyone just getting into airsoft I would suggest to get out there and visit as many sites as possible and meet as many people as you can because each site has it's own strong points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭shytan

Theirs other sites ........no Iam too happy at the One site:D

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

On a side note , I don't want this to turn into a "such and such is the best site".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

There is a huge social element in play. If you play on a team, and your team tour sites, then you are guaranteed to at least enjoy the company of some people there. If you are a solo player, then you are more likely to nest somewhere where you enjoy your games, and like the environment. Why? Simply put, people do not like spending time, money, or both and not have a good time.

Personally I have plans to go to as many of the sites as possible, and see where I prefer to play. At the moment I have not dented the list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Leftyflip wrote: »
    I am a one sit airsofter.

does that make you a chairsofter?

back on topic, recently myself and one of the lads decided we would try somewhere other than our usual site, we went elsewhere only to find they were not running airsoft games that day. much cursing ect, we decided we would make the trek to "old faithful" where we had a cracking day (even though we were late arriving) and wondered why we bothered going elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

I do play on one site, partly owing to distence, and partly to the fact I've almost always been working when my team have had away days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I'm only new to airsoft. I've been out three times and each time it was a different site. All have their good and bad points. out of the three I know I wont visit one of them again because it wasnt as enjoyable as the other two, that may have been down to the day in question but I didnt have as much fun that day as i had the other times I was out. that said maybe I'll give it ago some time again to see if it was a once off

I'm in Dublin so I have a good selection of sites within about 1 hours drive of me and i intend on visiting them all at least once. Will I settle on one particular site? if I was going solo probably for convenience, there's one a 10 minute drive from me and i'm inherently lazy. but there's usually two of us so it'll probably be a case of which ever site suits us that day

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

I play different Sites i find playing just the one gets boring playing different ones adds more fun to it as you don't just fall into a routine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'm not a 1-site airsofter, more like a limited site airsofter. I only play 2 sites currently just for Outdoors and CQB envirmoments, both with great communities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

im a no site airsoft, unfortunately both time and money is limit in recent years and had to choice where to focus my airsoft attention as i could not do regular weekends and events, events won out

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

I stick to the one site. Mostly because it's the closest one, even though it's still a good drive off. The other main reason has been mentioned before. I know I love my site and think the cost is fine. So why would I risk spending money elsewhere when I might not enjoy it as much? Anyways, I don't get up there too often so I don't get bored of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

So far a one site airsofter, as I just go to the one closest. But have plans to visit a few more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

I try and get out to different sites as much as I can but it usually boils down to lack of funds and/or lack of a lift. If I didn't have these minor set backs in my way I would like to think i would play different sites as much as possible but could honestly say I will always play a majority at one site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Hmm ... multiple site airsofter who has recently had to limit airsofting (due to work travel), which has led to me turning into a single site airsofter! I've tried quite a few places - I give every site two tries and if I've two crap days there and I'm still not getting it, I generally don't go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

I'm mostly a one siter, I have travelled to a number of different sites here and abroad for events and the like, but my nearest site is where I go on a weekly basis. I live in the west so options are limited in any regard, but I could still travel east on any given Saturday. I have a particular loyalty to that site because I've been involved in the club since before the site was opened, and a cracking site it is too, so it's kind of dear to my heart. And the regular lads are a great bunch too. We travel as a group from time to time which keeps the whole thing fresh, but I still love hitting "our" site every Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

I used to travel to many sites for my weekly games, really have knocked this on the head for a long time now. My experience was more negative on many sites, found one place that encourages fair play, and takes no crap from cheaters so don't bother wasting my time elsewhere any more. I travel to other sites that are hosting events, but only if the operators are experienced and have a good rep for them.

I would go around to other places more if I saw clear evidence that they do not allow muppets to play on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭FingalAirsoft

fayer wrote: »
    I used to travel to many sites for my weekly games, really have knocked this on the head for a long time now. My experience was more negative on many sites, found one place that encourages fair play, and takes no crap from cheaters so don't bother wasting my time elsewhere any more. I travel to other sites that are hosting events, but only if the operators are experienced and have a good rep for them.

I would go around to other places more if I saw clear evidence that they do not allow muppets to play on site.

And how can you see that if you don't go to other sites?
    I don't think there is any site op that allows cheating on site, if there was they wouldn't be in business for long. I played at a site last night...my first time there, I experienced some people not taking hits so I stopped playing, Not the site ops fault but I'm not going to let that stop me going back to play the site again as it could be different the next time I go and play there...if it's not then I'll make a decision:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I don't think there is any site op that allows cheating on site, if there was they wouldn't be in business for long. I played at a site last night...my first time there, I experienced some people not taking hits so I stopped playing, Not the site ops fault but I'm not going to let that stop me going back to play the site again as it could be different the next time I go and play there...if it's not then I'll make a decision:)

Certainly with Irish Airsoft, you find a good spot and you stick to it. I spent a good long while of heartache going to new sites just as they open and discovering the owners didn't really understand the game, or weren't bothered marshalling, or it was populated by the brit DPM overalls/beta spetz brigade. Sad as it is, sites get reputations, and people who are well-connected enough usually get the story before they even have to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

I'm pretty diverse myself... I have 3 sites I play at regularly, but I love to try new places, new scenery, people, tactics... its what makes airsoft great in my book. I enjoy the variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Sometimes the British DPM and beta spetz brigade deserve more credit than they get, I've encountered some who are a great bunch to play against, honest, smart and good craic.

Its not about what gear you have or what gun you have, its how you conduct yourself on the field and in the safezone. Besides all we do is play with toy guns and shoot plastic at each other.

How you play, not what you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Sometimes the British DPM and beta spetz brigade deserve more credit than they get, I've encountered some who are a great bunch to play against, honest, smart and good craic.

Its not about what gear you have or what gun you have, its how you conduct yourself on the field and in the safezone. Besides all we do is play with toy guns and shoot plastic at each other.

How you play, not what you use.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

However, if I show up a site I haven't been to before (as I did a few weeks back) and immediately see at least half a dozen kids under 16 getting kitted up with dpm coveralls and spetzes, I'll be tipping my hat to the owner and legging it somewhere else (as I did).

You can only really have so much of an open mind (and the average airsoft experience on your average sunday on Ireland is kind of mediocre anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Harveey

To be honest I haven't played that many sites, I've played the majority on the one site for 3 years now and then the odd weekend at a different site. My main reason for not exploring other sites is that I don't drive and would have to rely on others for a lift, when my local site is a 2 minute walk down the road for me. I would love to be able to travel around and play all the sites in the country at least once, but for now I'm a single site airsofter.

Bren you know I've seen more than my share of sites up and down the country. I don't believe its an issue with operators allowing a person to cheat, its how they handle it when it happens that is the issue.

Its a good thing that we have moved from a niche sport twords more mainstream, but along whit that people want to see more professionalism from operators, one of the parts of that is being able to deal with conflicts. The bury head in the sand approach, or letting things slide for regulars is what I have seen (not everywhere) and is off putting.

On more than once occasion I've come across cheating on sites and I have complained to a marshall about it to see nothing being done, I simply pack my bag's and leave with my friends politely, voting with my €.

I do not rule out traveling to other sites, I do for events they host if it catches my fancy, for me its a good measure of a place, if the event go's well Il go back (and I have). I still have my sure fire place I can go and play without drama, without messing and I know I will enjoy my day out, after a long week in work that's all I want :)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    However, if I show up a site I haven't been to before (as I did a few weeks back) and immediately see at least half a dozen kids under 16 getting kitted up with dpm coveralls and spetzes, I'll be tipping my hat to the owner and legging it somewhere else (as I did).

This is something I've seen people talking allot about lately, I'm all for getting kids into the sport, but sometimes I really do not want to be outnumbered by the under 16 players on the field. it is a put off to arrive to a site and find 70% kids there. I've also done what Dave had, arrived to a site (very far away) see the age demo and bail straight away for a different site.

I'm not saying exclude kids, but I have heard about separation out groups mentioned by more than 1 person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Yes, I'm aware of that.

You can only really have so much of an open mind (and the average airsoft experience on your average sunday on Ireland is kind of mediocre anyway).

Had a similar instance myself

The site itself is pretty top notch, and the owners are a solid bunch of lads and top quality players aswell, but arriving there was a mass bunch of young players ( spetz bridage love it haha)

I've no problem with young lads, im a nipper myself, and I've no problem with rentals, the problem is the risk of having a good days gaming.

There are established sites and sites where I know I can go and have a savage days gaming with little or no messing.

I'm not into throwing money at airsoft like I used to, and I'm not playing twice a week like i used to. When I do go out I want a good game, so I try narrow the risk, thats why I'm not trying new sites.

But as G-Dawg says if your connected and know the people to know, you hear all the stories, good reputations and bad from sites before they even start advertising so you know wether to play or avoid.

In short I went through the trying every site under the sun, had more bad experiences then good so now I just stick to the one site and travel to the odd one or two that I know are going to be rock solid.

Tigerland for example, was a big enough risk in thought. Long drive, invest in bio BB's specifically, game fee, it adds up. However because I'd heard the good stories I took the risk and it was a cracking day and I'd definitly visit again.

The same with my first MAC trip, if I drove I'd be a member and going there more often.

Its all well and good trying to be diverse but when your i nthe game a few years, you realise that there is only a handful of places that

A) Meet your style of play
    B) You enjoy the atmosphere and clients
    C) You typically have a positive experience and a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think younger players are getting an unfair deal/reputation here. It is the mindset & attitude of the player that determines how likely they are to cheat, not the age. I've seen some of the most honest and deferential (and funny) moments of play from youth players; and with one or two exceptions to that, some of the worst play from people all over the age of eighteen.

By all means head to a different site - it's entirely your decision and based on what you want to get out of any given day, but I've been to sites with large numbers of young players with no issues; one in particular (AWA in herts, UK. And for those who talk about "chancing a drive", how does a four hour each way trek sound?) that springs to mind as there were more under-eighteens than over by a fair margin on the day I was there and it didn't matter a jot. Granted, it wasn't a particularly "tactical" day out and more just unadulterated skirmishing fun. But goes to show again that it's not the age, it's the player themselves that makes or breaks a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I dont want this to get tangled into a " hatred against the kids" thing cause its defo not on my part anyway.

But its definitly something that plays in the mind when you go a site and see prodominatly young teens, that whilst it may be a good day, there is still a risk involved.

And sometimes I'm just not into the risk and wasting 30 blips,. but my point was more directed towards if I go to a new site for the first ime.

I know you might not be directing your post at me and I'm not directing mine back, just ill smack a bitch if someone types elitism or some bollox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Elitism!! Elitism!! Won't someone please think of the children?!! :pac:

Advertisement