Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo: Combat Evolved Remake Confirmed

Options
  • 05-02-2011 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

For a lot of console gamers today the love affair with Halo started on the original Xbox with Halo: Combat Evolved. And a major reason for buying the 360 was gaining the ability to paly another Halo game only this time in HD.

Well, if you miss the original, or still have an Xbox hooked up just to play it, November can’t come soon enough for you. Joystiq has learned that not only is the game being remade for the 360, it will be released on November 15 in time for the tenth anniversary of the original release date.

Unlike the HD packs PS3 owners have been enjoying recently, this Halo remake has gone back to the drawing board. Visuals will be 1080p, supported by brand new art assets, and 3D will be an option if you have a supporting TV. The game will be the same, but it will look new for 2011, not like a 2001 update. Multiplayer is also thought to be getting an update to replace the original’s two-player split-screen with Xbox Live online matches.

Development is being handled by Saber Interactive who most recently released TimeShift.

Read more at Joystiq

Matthew’s Opinion

This wont fail to fly off store shelves as a lot of gamers have very fond memories of the original game that started it all. It’s still a remake, though, so I doubt this will be a full price release and hopefully no more than $30.

I would be very surprised if Halo 2 wasn’t also getting the same treatment. The recent shutdown of Xbox Live support for that game resulted in a number of gamers leaving their machines running just to keep a multiplayer game going. Remaking that second game with multiplayer support would probably be even more popular than the first game.

Will this be a day one purchase for you, or should the original stay in 2001?

http://www.geek.com/articles/games/halo-combat-evolved-remake-expected-november-15-2011024/

Opinions?

Personally, very happy. Can't wait to play it again with an updated engine. Plus, I believe it offers a great deal of a huge generation of gamers that played Halo 3, ODST and Reach, but not the original titles.

However, I'm worried by the fact it's going to be running on a new engine, not the Reach one. A new developer was obviously inevitable seeing as Bungie are done, but a new engine, threatens to sever the wonderful familiarity across every single Halo title from Combat Evolved to Reach - Halo on a different engine could very well not feel like Halo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

There is no hope that this remake will be anything like the original CE, which was an almost perfect competitive console shooter. It's inevitably going to be watered down for all the dipshits who won't play a game because the graphics aren't 1080p or the warthog doesn't come with a power slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

wonder how it feel with not having a run or special move button,,,tried playing halo 3 a week back and just couldnt get back into it cause of that,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

wonder how it feel with not having a run or special move button,,,tried playing halo 3 a week back and just couldnt get back into it cause of that,,

Sprint yes, would be nice to implement that into the remake, but the other abilities, while fun at times, wouldn't shed a tear if they were discarded permanently in the franchise.

Im all for it. As far as sprint, jetpack, and all of the other abilities in reach go, then no thanks. That stuff was never considered in the level design for H1 and would unbalance the gameplay, but for me a remake pretty much as it is, made for the 360 controller but with higher res graphics and textures and an online mode for those sweet MP levels would be excellent, and i wont lose any sleep over minor engine issues-every halo game has taken a tiny bit of getting used to controls-wise, im sure this one will be no different.

Who knows they might even throw in a firefight mode similar to the ODST one for good measure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

im going to be sticking to my good old fashioned Halo: CE.

Still have it, still a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Im all for it. As far as sprint, jetpack, and all of the other abilities in reach go, then no thanks. That stuff was never considered in the level design for H1 and would unbalance the gameplay, but for me a remake pretty much as it is, made for the 360 controller but with higher res graphics and textures and an online mode for those sweet MP levels would be excellent, and i wont lose any sleep over minor engine issues-every halo game has taken a tiny bit of getting used to controls-wise, im sure this one will be no different.

You're right about the armour abilities: they wouldn't work on the CE maps. I'd want them to be very careful with the textures, though, because they can have a major effect on how grenades are used. Over textured maps were a bit of a problem in Halo 3.

Frankly, I'd want an almost carbon copy with some refinements with regard to graphics. The real problem is getting the pistol to work properly online as it did on CE LAN.

A few extra maps would be an excellent addition as well and would provide the company with a good way of putting their own stamp on the game instead of messing with the core game play mechanics.

i wont lose any sleep over minor engine issues-every halo game has taken a tiny bit of getting used to controls-wise, im sure this one will be no different.

It's more then just that though, it will be built on an entirely new engine. Take, for example, Call of Duty, Bioshock or Fallout; Modern Warfare and Black Ops, as well as Fallout 3 and New Vegas and Bioshock and Bioshock 2, all are different developers but run on the same engine; which creates that sense of familiarity which makes said game belong to that family. Halo has, control differences aside, always run on Bungie produced engines, so a new engine from a different company could feel completely different entirely gameplay wise, something I'm not too keen on. There was a fantastic article a few years back, can't remember where, discussing the same issue when Gearbox where rumoured to be making Halo 4 - the consensus what that whilst it wasn't doubted Gearbox could produce a fantastic game, it would be a disaster to try and create Halo in any way other than the fans know and love it. I'm sure, with what's expected from them, Sabre would try to recreate it as best they could, but part of me can't help but be wary - Halo has always felt like Halo, and unique in itself - no other game plays like Halo, which is why I love it so. A new engine from a different developer threatens that. I had assumed it would run on the Reach engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I'm wary about this. A lot could go wrong with it. Halo: CE with a graphical overhaul is a nice idea but the thought of changes to the core gameplay make me hesitant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

If it's going to be 1080i, can i assume that the fps will be 60? Because that really was a pet hate of mine about Reach, especially after all their yack about Reach looking visually stunning, when in reality (well in my opinion anyway) it was really only a modest upgrade from Halo 3/odst graphics. It's really noticable in partso f the campaign if you look to the left/right while in a falcon (or in one for that matter).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Well they're making it with the Reach engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

I played Halo 2 recently and found that it was the best game I ever played. Far better than Halo 3, Reach and definitely ODST. Can't say I've played CE and I really regret that. Maybe they should remake the trilogy as one game.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Well they're making it with the Reach engine.

Saber are supposed to be producing their own engine.

And see as their latest effort was Battle for Los Angeles: The Game, which was absolute drivel of the highest calibre, I'm suddenly very fearful for this remakes prospects.

Then again, LA was surely a last minute patch job, as evident from the quality in every aspect, but it's most certainly not a good sign.

gamespot latest preview of Halo CE Anniversary:

Video and preview here

I have to say it looks really good. It's using two different engines (?) a separate engine for the campaign gameplay and the reach engine (including armor abilities) for the multiplayer. Not sure whether adding the armor abilities is going to be a good thing or a bad thing overall in terms of multiplayer balance, those maps weren't designed for jetpacks, etc..

Multiplayer will integrate with Halo reach, so it looks like you can play the Remastered Halo CE maps as part of the reach multiplayer experience. Nice touch. I wonder how the modes and playlists are going to work?

Terminals and achievements are in, and there are hints about some Halo 4 easter eggs/tie ins hidden in the story.

Online co-op is in, and there's a cool ability to switch between old graphics and new graphics on the fly, while game play is going on (i guess they mapped it to the select button or something). Gives you an excellent idea of the kind of graphical overhaul that has been done on the game, and seeing it in the video it looks amazing, it makes the game look so much more expansive and larger. I didn't recognize any of the remodelled areas i saw until they switched off the new graphics.

It looks like they're going the same way as Bungie did with ODST. A mix of new stuff and access to existing modes and content from a related title to pad out the value. Assuming it's going to be a mid price release, and not a full price one, i will probably grab it. Only problem is, with all the other great games that are going to be released before christmas, when will i get time to play it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 AnonDentist

Wonder will they make any concessions for people who bought Halo CE (original) through games on demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Wonder will they make any concessions for people who bought Halo CE (original) through games on demand?
    No chance!

Some footage of a multiplayer match on the remade version of Damnation. The Reach engine is in full effect, including jetpacks on a map that was originally designed for footwork only.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/08/16/halo-ce-anniversary-damnation-video-flythrough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gearheart

Cannot wait for this, its gonna be win.

Advertisement