Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AIRSOFT TEAMS??

• 08-06-2011 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

First: I apologize if there is already a thread about this.

I was wondering if I could ask some questions about Airsoft teams in general, any replies are appreciated :)
    Sorry if my questions seem 'noobish' or silly, but until i ask I wont know :)

1: How do you start a team?
    2: How big can teams be?
    3: Are there any requirements?
    4: What advantages are there?
    5: Can you give me any advice or team examples?

Like I said, silly and 'noobish' but I wont know until I ask.
    Thanks a million for any answers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CaptainCook

First: I apologize if there is already a thread about this.

I was wondering if I could ask some questions about Airsoft teams in general, any replies are appreciated :)
    Sorry if my questions seem 'noobish' or silly, but until i ask I wont know :)

4: What advantages are there?
    5: Can you give me any advice or team examples?

Like I said, silly and 'noobish' but I wont know until I ask.
    Thanks a million for any answers :)

why you wanna join a team, remember what Master P, said. 'I'd rather be a leader of one than a follower of many'.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Christian.Kelly

why you wanna join a team, remember what Master P, said. 'I'd rather be a leader of one than a follower of many'.

Gotta start somewhere :D But I'd rather start one than join.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Teams are completely unofficial... No size requirements, gear, or tactical teddybear specs.... A team is a bunch of friends, or a group that trains. Its really anything you want it to be.

I do sometimes wonder if Ireland takes the team lark a tad far... almost to the point where there are perhaps more team members than individual players... From what I've seen, it has a way of making individuals feel left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

You and a gang of mates say "lets make an airsoft team".
    How many friends you got?
    Nope.

They may seem like flippant answers but the reality is that a team in Ireland is just a label for a bunch of mates who play together. You pick a name, can agree on a common loadout and badge if you want and you agree to go to the same site at weekends. Some are more serious (training, strict uniforms), some are less.

Personally I am not in a team, and am quite happy to continue my solo existence. There is absolutely no requirement to be in a team, and you can argue whether it makes any real difference to your day out.

Right, thanks for the answers, very helpful :)
    Just, one last question :o
    Are there advantages to being in a team?
    I'm asking that because a friend of mine told me if we start a team we get some discounts :eek: :confused: I'm FAIRLY SURE he was wrong about that but one of the airsoft shops has a website page for teams so I'm not sure now :confused::o
    Thanks again for the replies so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

If that were the case, I could make up a team name and say I want a discount. I'm sure "team discount" is more in reference to, for example, a team of ten people all wanting shiny new uniforms, goggles or boxes of magazines. In other words, a bulk-buy discount.

NakedDex wrote: »
    If that were the case, I could make up a team name and say I want a discount. I'm sure "team discount" is more in reference to, for example, a team of ten people all wanting shiny new uniforms, goggles or boxes of magazines. In other words, a bulk-buy discount.

Ah, I see. Makes more sense than what he said :D
    Thank you for the reply

are there any advantages? You can all look pretty together? No? not doing it for you?
    Depending how hard the team works, you can use radios, and tactics, and practice, and become an efficient force on the skirmish field... Otherwise... no advantage whatsoever, and that advantage is really quite hard to achive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

there are a few ways to look at a team , can be a competitive team as in a 'football team' can get a group of players who put theme and accuracy first it could just a group of friend or any combination of these and others

tbh go out have fun find out what direct you would like to go in with airsoft and tbh a 'team' will naturally come as you gravitate to like minded people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Airsoft Teams...there's a funny little entity.

Some of them choose to work together, and effectively train to be better; effective communications (radio discipline, good radios & headsets etc, effective hand signals etc), spreading the load (i.e. having a support gunner, sniper/DMR, riflemen, and where possible, all using the same mags so that you can carry extra for your team mates) and quite a few other things. Numbers are usually limited to that of a unit (5-8 or so)

Other teams choose to have a LOT of members, and is mostly a social thing - all getting together to play at a site of choosing, and not normally to have tactical advantage.

If you're interested in the foremost, what I would say is take care to make others feel welcome, and try not to exclude others. We are all effectively ambassadors of the sport, and as such it is our job to make others feel welcome. When you're interested in the competitive and pure tactical side of things, it can be hard to step out of it and make others feel welcome. Equally, if you are interested in the large social team, it can be quite cliquish, which is also off-putting to newcomers.

It's not a lot to be open to meeting people, and it makes all the difference. I play solo, and love it. At some point I might go for the team approach, and if I did it'd be for pure tactical advantage. But even then, I will always keep the whole welcoming thing to the forefront for one big reason; people are necessary to Airsoft's growth :)

• Advertisement

Inari wrote: »
    Airsoft Teams...there's a funny little entity.

Other teams choose to have a LOT of members, and is mostly a social thing - all getting together to play at a site of choosing, and not normally to have tactical advantage.

If you're interested in the foremost, what I would say is take care to make others feel welcome, and try not to exclude others. We are all effectively ambassadors of the sport, and as such it is our job to make others feel welcome. When you're interested in the competitive and pure tactical side of things, it can be hard to step out of it and make others feel welcome. Equally, if you are interested in the large social team, it can be quite cliquish, which is also off-putting to newcomers.

It's not a lot to be open to meeting people, and it makes all the difference. I play solo, and love it. At some point I might go for the team approach, and if I did it'd be for pure tactical advantage. But even then, I will always keep the whole welcoming thing to the forefront for one big reason; people are necessary to Airsoft's growth :)

Well said :) I think we'd be more for social tbh, less of the practicing daily :D :rolleyes: I personally think Teams(or groups for a less official term) are a great way to get people into airsoft, hierarchy of needs etc(taking out of context but it applies :rolleyes::o). I just think most like the idea of playing with mates in a group

I honestly prefer playing alone... people don't seem to understand airsoft is one of those sports you can just rock up, and talk to people... Total randomers... everyone is friendly, and everyone is happy to chat.

The fetishisation of teams here isolates individuals, makes them think they have to be in a team for the social side of airsoft... thats crap... Its so sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Why would you want do do that? Personally i find the whole airsoft thing all very sad in the extreme. Grown men running around shooting plastic balls at eachother.
    If they think combat and war is all so "cool and fun", why don't they join the british army or marines and go off to afghanistan for the real thing.

They can get their jaw blown off by shrapnel or have their legs ripped off by a mine and then we'll see how "cool and fun" they think combat is! Incredibly sad!

Guys in the army could only shake their heads at this and say WTF.

There is a team in waterford called "whiskey delta" or WD for short. Obviously they didn't do their research when they were coming up with a name because WD, whiskey delta is actually slang for "Weak Dick".:pac: ......Priceless!!!!! or is it suppposed to be some kind of sad joke? Heres the UD definitio for Whiskey delta:
    Phonetic Alphabet acronym for "Weak Dick," or someone who is being a coward or a chicken. Also synonymous for a guy being a pussy. An equivalent visual hand signal is to hold your pointer finger curved and pointed toward the ground so as to look like a limp penis. Term is used as slang in the military.

I met a few of the lads in it through my GF's work and they are total assholes - "oh look at me, i'm so cool, i do airsoft, blah blah blah"... Spare me.
    Do yourself a favour mate and stay away from that whole circus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Why would you want do do that? Personally i find the whole airsoft thing all very sad in the extreme. Grown men running around shooting plastic balls at eachother.
    If they think combat and war is all so "cool and fun", why don't they join the british army or marines and go off to afghanistan for the real thing.

They can get their jaw blown off by shrapnel or have their legs ripped off by a mine and then we'll see how "cool and fun" they think combat is! Incredibly sad!

There is a team in waterford called "whiskey delta" or WD for short. Obviously they didn't do their research when they were coming up with a name because WD, whiskey delta is actually slang for "Weak Dick".:pac: ......Priceless!!!!! or is it suppposed to be some kind of sad joke? Heres the UD definitio for Whiskey delta:

I met a few of the lads in it through my GF's work and they are total assholes - "oh look at me, i'm so cool, i do airsoft, blah blah blah"... Spare me.

Well someone's got their panties all up in a bunch. Try not to let the door hit you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Do us a favour and get off the airsoft forum. Why are you here if you hate it so much?

Troll much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

D'awwww, cuddly troll is cuddly.

swiftblade wrote: »
    Do us a favour and get off the airsoft forum. Why are you here if you hate it so much?

Troll much?

I'm not trolling tbh. I just think its kinda lame. An the WD-whiskey delta = weak dick, thing is true. Just look it up and see!

Now there's my 2 cents. I am done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Ever think that maybe people like guns,shooting but don't join the army because they don't like the fact of pain,being injured,loss of limbs, them possibly dying......Dumb**s...Thats My 2 cents.

I'm not trolling tbh. I just think its kinda lame. An the WD-whiskey delta = weak dick, thing is true. Just look it up and see!

Now there's my 2 cents. I am done here.

Ahh right so you're not trolling. You come onto a forum you have no intrest in, to post something that has no relevance to the topic. I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

Sounds like someone is a little jealous of his girlfriend's new acquaintances. I'm sure they're "just friends" man. Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭thebrendanr1

for your information whiskey delta members do not think of themselves as so cool fellas runnin round the forest. whiskey delta are an airsoft team and wd only stands for whiskey delta and nothing else. you might have had a bad expierience with us but dont put others off playing with us because you think we are pr**ks :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MrMuzik

1. Airsoft is not about glorifying war or shooting people.

2. there are a lot of airsoft players around the country who come from a miltilary and Gardai background.. and love the "SPORT" we have them on WD "Whiskey Delta"
    and i dont see how you can speak for them.

3. and Airsoft is recognized as a sport, would you say the same about paintball.. they still dress in camo and shoot people etc.

4. your ignorance on the sport is the downfall in your argument. you have never played it properly on a real site, or seen the social side of it, seen a team in action working together, how it has brought young quite lads out of there shell, the money it has generated for sites and shops.

5. The WD phonics things .... is well played out at this staged... it was known from the start... WD is Waterford look at a car reg from this great county and you will see it.

6. WD is a great bunch of lads an i for one are proud to be part of it, you have no idea what we have done in a short time not just for the team but for the sport in general and so has many others. And im sure lots out there will agree with me.

6. we know who you are by the way, and that this is a get back at WD because you were kicked for a number of reasons, and as you were told there are strict rules to Airsoft and to forums etc... so a case of sour grapes me think.

just a word of warning... you are liable for anything you say on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

This all coming from a fella with the user name "Master and commander"???
    Get a life pal. And why would you be bothered what other peoples interests are unless like Chiefdub says your Girlfriend finds it quite impressive what these lads are up too:eek:

....................and wd only stands for whiskey delta and nothing else. ............:pac::pac:

You may think so. But it does have other slang meanings. This should have been researched. So don't be surprised and wondering why people are smiling or sniggering at you next time you're team are set up at the Duncannon show!!

And one other thing, they are not guns! They are plastic pea shooters.

You may think so. But it does have other slang meanings. This should have been researched. So don't be surprised and wondering why people are smiling or sniggering at you next time you're team are set up at the Duncannon show!!

Still here? I thought you said you were leaving? You must not think we're that bad...

And one other thing, they are not guns! They are plastic pea shooters.

Nobody said they were. They are RIF's

cobra 08 wrote: »
    This all coming from a fella with the user name "Master and commander"???
    Get a life pal. And why would you be bothered what other peoples interests are unless like Chiefdub says your Girlfriend finds it quite impressive what these lads are up too:eek:

As a matter of fact she was the one who pointed them out to me and was laughing at what they do. They claim to have COs and all that. It's seriously lame. Lamer than trainspotting FFS!
    At least trainspotters are trainspotters, they are not pretending to be something they're not.

Now thats it, I'm out of here. <storming out>

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭thebrendanr1

MrMuzik wrote: »
    1. Airsoft is not about glorifying war or shooting people.

2. there are a lot of airsoft players around the country who come from a miltilary and Gardai background.. and love the "SPORT" we have them on WD "Whiskey Delta"
    and i dont see how you can speak for them.

3. and Airsoft is recognized as a sport, would you say the same about paintball.. they still dress in camo and shoot people etc.

4. your ignorance on the sport is the downfall in your argument. you have never played it properly on a real site, or seen the social side of it, seen a team in action working together, how it has brought young quite lads out of there shell, the money it has generated for sites and shops.

5. The WD phonics things .... is well played out at this staged... it was known from the start... WD is Waterford look at a car reg from this great county and you will see it.

6. WD is a great bunch of lads an i for one are proud to be part of it, you have no idea what we have done in a short time not just for the team but for the sport in general and so has many others. And im sure lots out there will agree with me.

6. we know who you are by the way, and that this is a get back at WD because you were kicked for a number of reasons, and as you were told there are strict rules to Airsoft and to forums etc... so a case of sour grapes me think.

just a word of warning... you are liable for anything you say on this..

well said :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Right....I'm guessing the mods are away so I'm going to jump in temporarily.....Master and Commander: Do not post again today in this forum. I'd expect the mods will ban you when they get here. I'll leave that up to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

find yourself a hobby, then you mightn't be as bothered about other peoples hobbies. If your Girlfriend looking for a man not a troll we can point her in the right direction

Advertisement