Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark of the Moon (movie)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Jayd0g wrote: »
    I'm liking the look of the gun laden vehicle modes!

Second that!!! Bumblebee looks awesome when he opens up on the highway with the Huge cannon sticking out of the car!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Initial critics' rsponses say brilliant SFX and 3D, but bad acting. As you were so.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-movie-just-movie-31/russian-international-film-market-has-revealed-a-trailer-from-transformers-dark-of-the-moon-171616/
    The CGI looks even better than the two first films [put] together. There are some really innovative visual decisions and the 3D has an amazing quality. There was one kinda big spot with Sam and his new blond girlfriend that helps him get a job. Since everyone cares about her being in this film, from this spot I can tell that she [demands] much of the attention. It feels so [forced] when the camera catches her to show everyone her sexiness when it’s not really needed. Well, yes, she looks sexy, and from that spot she didn’t [show] any emotion on her face, [either].

Love the new poster:

Transformers-3-Dark-of-the-Moon-Poster_1304096952.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Why do people put in them spoiler crap I hate that,

Not sure what to make of Transformers 3.

There will never be another film like Transformers 1 I love it I must have watched it 100 times and it does not get old its a fun movie.

I remember I had sky film and it was on ever day and no matter what ever time it came on I would sit down and watch it.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Teaser:

Update 7-2-11
    Here's the SuperBowl ad:

Update 20-2-11
    Daytona trailer:

Update 1-5-11
    Trailer 2:

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I started watching esp 1 of transformers prime the new cartoon I got a couple of minutes in and had to turn it off i could not take my eyes off Optimus primes mouth in it its so funny looking when he talks
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Love the new poster:

Transformers-3-Dark-of-the-Moon-Poster_1304096952.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I started watching esp 1 of transformers prime the new cartoon I got a couple of minutes in and had to turn it off i could not take my eyes off Optimus primes mouth in it its so funny looking when he talks
    You should try again.. 12 episodes in and it's actually pretty good :) and I would have been a "G1 was the best/only real Transformers cartoon" type before it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Don't know where else to put this really:

Hasbro have let it slip that the SLS (Carly's car?) is Soundwave.

Saw the (teaser trailer) in the cinema in 3D for the first time today. If that is anything to go by we are in for a big treat (at least visually) when this comes out. It looked sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Hmmmm it was ok not the best story again but the action was amazing! The bit with brains saying
    "cluster ****"
    was brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I really enjoyed it. I always like the day time action sequences in open spaces (like the forest scene in Revenge of the Fallen) and
    the one in DC
    in this movie.

I felt
    the final battle scene went on a bit too long
    but over all I enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

All i wanted was a bit of character development with the robots. 3 movies in we didnt get it .

The last movie was entertaining but a crap movie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Still a discordant disjointed mess. But they managed to cover it up with a slightly more cohesive script, longer battles, and a 'darker' tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I loved it!! Granted there were a few plot holes and some scenes were rushed over and should have been explained a bit better but overall I loved it!!! Great action sequences, better dialogue than the ROTF and a better script!!

Although that Rosie Huntington (if thats her name) cant act to save her life!! She should stick to the lingerie modeling!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I loved it!! Granted there were a few plot holes and some scenes were rushed over and should have been explained a bit better but overall I loved it!!! Great action sequences, better dialogue than the ROTF and a better script!!

Although that Rosie Huntington (if thats her name) cant act to save her life!! She should stick to the lingerie modeling!!!

Agreed. The missus came with me (I had to go see a romcom the week before for her to agree to go) to see it and couldn't get over the fact that she was runnning around a battlefield in high heels.

Also can't believe the bit
    In the collapsing building when she swings from a cable to the floor below and lands perfectly without even swaying

Overall I really enjoyed the fight scenes and visual effects. Felt there were sections of the plot that could've been developed further such as
    Shockwave's human spy network. Good to see him back in the spymaster role as an active manager instead of a passive satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I enjoyed it, but it could have done with being shorter. The film kind of dragged on a bit and some scenes could have been cut without losing out on much.
    I didn't read any spoilers before seeing it, so was disappointed that Shockwave had such a small role as I thought he was going to be the main villain or at least a rival for Megatron. Spike singlehandedly taking out a low on energon Constructicon using advanced tech and military training in IDW is one thing, but Sam killing Starscream by himself is criminal.

Laserbeak was a welcome surprise and Megatron looked awesome, but didn't really do much.

Sentinel Prime was good and quoting Spock from Star Trek II was brilliant. They hinted at the Sentinel doublecross very well earlier in the film by showing the episode that Spock goes crazy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Also dissapointed with Shockwaves impact on anything in the movie. His pet was a bigger star than he was. I recall him firing 3 shots (none landing) and then getting killed by a bunch of soldiers without even killing a single one of em :mad:

More scene with robots that arnt Bumblebee and Prime would have been nice, but alas...

Ironhide dies and nobody blinks an eye? Prime mourned Jazz at the end of the first movie and not Ironhide? Not even a word.

The highway scene leading up to Sentinels rampage was the best imo along with the collapsing building.

Aside from that, the CGI was fantastic, as was the fight scenes and the 3D, considering im not a fan of 3D movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Majorly impressed. Loved Sentinel Prime, I as a fan did get a bit . . . . . teary when certain characters were getting picked off, even Starscream! Shockwave's part was meerly decoration, but at least it took EVERYONE to kill him. The fight between Optimus and Sentinel was unbelievable though.

Reviews for this were unfairly harsh, its a great movie!

Anyone remember the episode of the cartoon where
    Megatron uses a space bridge to bring Cybertron into our atmosphere? Affects tidal flow? Just realised the similarities with the movie!
    Finally, there using a good source for a story! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That film was an incoherent piece of trash which treated it's viewers with an incredible disrespect IMO.

As a fan I was very happy . . . . . . what were you expecting? The source material isn't exactly Catcher in the Rye . . . .

• Advertisement

As a fan I was very happy . . . . . . what were you expecting? The source material isn't exactly Catcher in the Rye . . . .

Excuse me, there's volumes of TF work way beyond this.

What I expect from all films are:
    Main characters not to be killed off with no reference or consequence to the story.
    Films not to show an incredible amount of mysoginy on the part of the director. I swear to god I actually felt dirty the way he was panning the camera over that girl. Not to mention the only other female in the film was a bitch stereotype.

I would expect some character development over the course of three movies, not exactly zero.

I would expect the main character to be likeable, not a whiney bitch. 30 minutes of Sam whining before anything happens.

I expect there not to be hugely obvious cuts where stuff has been left on the editing room floor.

I dislike casual racism in my films. The racial stereotypes were still all there. "I didn't sign up for this bro!!" Quite a few characters were so thinly realised it took me out of the film.

From this particular film I would expect:

Not to rely on ANOTHER plot device of the transformers already being here- all three films have this same basic plot.

Megatron and Shockwave being used. They might as well been runabout and runamock.

Not to have to watch random American soldiers being American and soldiery for 2 hours in a film called transformers.
    Optimus Prime to not sacrifice tens of thousands of human lives to prove a point and then dismiss it with a single line.

On this point, if Prime could stop acting like a face stealing psycho threatening to "kill them all", that would be nice. Would it be possible to not understand the concept of his character any more?

For main TF characters to not be killed by humans with relatively little effort. It makes zero narritive sense for the film as what purpose do the Autobots have when humanity is clearly able to defend itself so well?

I'm sure I can think of some more if I had a few mins.

Well when they are looking for a director for the sequel I suggest you throw your name in for consideration as you clearly would have done it better.

I agree with you on the character front, too many were killed off.

Its a boys film, the shots of of the token hottie are there to attract audiences. She is paid to stand there and be gawked at, I wouldn't feel ashamed . . . . . . . and don't.

I agree Le Beouf stinks of piss as an ''actor'', I use the term loosely.

Your talking out of your ar5e if there was racism. Thats not racist, thats a dialect of english. Get over it, African americans, for the most part don't speak the queens english.

Megatron and Starscream not being used were big mistakes.

As for character development, Film as a medium gives you very little time, especially a film of this sort where the fans expect action. Character development will always be secondary to set piece and action, especially with Bay helming it.

I'm still laughing at your belief that there is racism there, its actually a joke right?

Regardless of its lack of artistic merit 600 million Box Office thus far, a 90% marking on rotten tomatoes by its users . . . . . . . . . . your harsh review puts you in a minority I am afraid.

As for the racism thing, you also missed my point. Rather than create a character, Bay used created a stereotypical cypher. It's nothing new, he does it all the time, but it takes me out of the film.

Box office take has nothing to do with how good a film is, and we will see about rotton tomatos over time.

It's pretty funny you actually agree with me on most things, but feel you have to attack me.

In a TRANSFORMERS movie you managed to find Mysoginy, Racism and Stereotypes.

I agree with your critique of the movie but the ''offensive'' stuff your talking about is just pathetic.

In a TRANSFORMERS movie you managed to find Mysoginy, Racism and Stereotypes.

I agree with your critique of the movie but the ''offensive'' stuff your talking about is just pathetic.

I am actually not that easily offended, I just spent good money onwhat I considered a bad film!

Anyway, if you can't see mysogany in a Michael Bay movie... you're not looking very hard. There are two women in this movie: One who is referred to literally as an object like a car, one who is treated like a harsh bitch for the majority of the movie. In ROTF the female characters were killed off simply because Bay didn't like them. Yes or no?

If you can't find racism in the scenes in Egypt in ROTF, you're also not looking very hard (although I agree that the twins were a badly judged "wigger" joke, not intended to be racist).

You're still ignoring my point I note- I was not saying the film is outwardly racist, I was saying the writing was very lazy and used cyphers as opposed to actual character building.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭sexitoni

I mostly enjoyed it - though it's hard to put my finger on why apart from the obvious - some very good action sequences that were easier to follow than in the previous movies, a bit of G1 referencing, reasonably well worked conspiracy theory, Leonard Nimoy as Sentinel...

My main list of gripes would be:
    Shag all character development of the Transformers again. The thing that annoys me the most. The concept of Robots in Disguise mostly ignored again too.
    Poor editing - some scenes too long, some scenes hastily cut and it all made a simple story pretty hard to follow.
    Poor use of Malkovich.
    Poor use of Shockwave and Soundwave (to a lesser extent).
    Objectifying your one to that extreme just seemed wrong.

In a movie like that acting and script wouldn't bother me too much - it's going to be a bit corny. The annoying thing is that if it had been stitched together more coherently it could have been excellent.

sexitoni wrote: »
    I mostly enjoyed it - though it's hard to put my finger on why apart from the obvious - some very good action sequences that were easier to follow than in the previous movies, a bit of G1 referencing, reasonably well worked conspiracy theory, Leonard Nimoy as Sentinel...

My main list of gripes would be:
    Shag all character development of the Transformers again. The thing that annoys me the most. The concept of Robots in Disguise mostly ignored again too.
    Poor editing - some scenes too long, some scenes hastily cut and it all made a simple story pretty hard to follow.
    Poor use of Malkovich.
    Poor use of Shockwave and Soundwave (to a lesser extent).
    Objectifying your one to that extreme just seemed wrong.

In a movie like that acting and script wouldn't bother me too much - it's going to be a bit corny. The annoying thing is that if it had been stitched together more coherently it could have been excellent.

Yeah I guess it's the missed potential overall which really annoys me too.

I was moaning but there were some good things about the film- Wheelie was actually kinda likeable, I felt the fighting was much clearer and enjoyable, but yes the objectification was uncomfortable and I think the film lost me from that point.

Over 2 years without a peep and now I take a few days off and now this?

Right, someone just got banned. I'll clean up the dirty posts once I've had my tea.

edit, right. Some posts edited, some deleted. Play nice... or else!

LL&sa=X&ei=y6YfTtXvDMOEhQfb882TAw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGLIeOXgTEWlBIvNxnEcWNkgkMJdQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Nobody else mention or get browned off by the constant, blatant pro-American war sentiment riddled throughout the movie? I swear, from the very opening monologue I thought I was being slapped in the face by a larger than life UNCLE SAM WANTS YOU! poster.

The autobots have made Earth their home. They live among the humans of Earth. And now they assist the humans in their conflicts. Eh, what!? Which conflicts? Which humans? The justification of every decision and death by employing the overused and ambiguous "freedom" concept, the "lesson"
    the autobots taught the world by making the humans believe that they'd abondoned them, only to return then to save the day and say "HA! See, you need us after all, puny, ungrateful humans!" (what does that remind you of) and not to mention the summary executions at the end. Sentinel begs for his life almost and gets his noggin chopped off for his troubles.

Not that the decepticons and their ilk didn't deserve to die, they tried to enslave the planet after all, but something about that end fight scene just did not sit well with me.

Doctor DooM has already touched on the misogynistic aspects of the film, so I won't go into it any deeper, but I did find that the barrage of in your face and obvious camera work with regard to Ms. Huntington-Whitely made me a little uncomfortable. Yes, she's an attractive girl to be sure, but it felt so forced, like the director was trying to reinforce the fact that YES, SHE IS HAWT at every given opportunity, even when it seemed completely unnecessary and by no means relative to the plot.

But then again I suppose I shouldn't really expect any different from a Transformers film. Aside from all of the above observations I did enjoy it, it looked amazing and can I just say the sound was AWESOME and it blew me away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement