Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A restoration tale (with pics)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you don't get a saw you could build the keel up with laminations of marine ply clamping them together with epoxy, it would be a lot stronger and more water resistance than the softwood and easy to cut with a jigsaw.
    If you need to conform to the shape of the boat just mark it out from the other keel on a board and then place some fixing blocks along the line.

laminating_wood_dryfit.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

I think FergalB's idea is good however if you decide you need the table saw I have loaned mine to a guy in Castlebaldwin which I am guessing is in your neighbourhood;) It also has a spindle moulder if you wish to use (although these require know-how). I am also very friendly with a master carpenter with a full workshop in the Dromahair Ballintogher area, he also has a soft spot for boats so I figure he will happily help free of charge for a day on a lake at some point in the future.

I also think I can help you with your hardwood. I have varoius sizes (will check) of Sipo (Mahogny) and I think you will get what you ned from it. I think I am withn 20 mins of you.

As I said the thread is inspiring and well done. The hard part is done IMO and it will be great to see this finished!

Pm me if you want to use,

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I think FergalB's idea is good however if you decide you need the table saw I have loaned mine to a guy in Castlebaldwin which I am guessing is in your neighbourhood;) It also has a spindle moulder if you wish to use (although these require know-how). I am also very friendly with a master carpenter with a full workshop in the Dromahair Ballintogher area, he also has a soft spot for boats so I figure he will happily help free of charge for a day on a lake at some point in the future.

I also think I can help you with your hardwood. I have varoius sizes (will check) of Sipo (Mahogny) and I think you will get what you ned from it. I think I am withn 20 mins of you.

As I said the thread is inspiring and well done. The hard part is done IMO and it will be great to see this finished!

Pm me if you want to use,

BB

blackiebest
    Many thanks for this, pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gardoyle27

thats a nice gesture blackie fair play to ya.

Weather continues to halt play.....

Just seen the UK weather forecast for the week end. They are broadcasting a severe weather warning only this time it's a heatwave. ITV Central had an expert on advising people what to do etc, the weather map is coloured red.

But here in Sligo, it remains freezing and has been lashing all day. I think this country may actually be cursed! I bet if we took the mean temperatures for Ireland over the past 20 years, we'd see an an average temperate drop of 2-3 degrees. Ireland is cooling, I don't care what anyone says. In the past month, I have scraped frost off my car and light fire very night, in June ???

Heatwave? oh god how I yearn for a heatwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Took the dogs for a walk this afternoon in the gale. Horizontal rain and had to wear gloves it was that cold!!

BBrrrrrr

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Without turning this into a weather thread, I thought this article was interesting:

As a truly awful June day comes to an end, let’s look back at some of the figures recorded. They look more like from a Friday in January, not June.
    Pretty much all of the country has been affected by persistent rain and drizzle from the occluding frontal system that’s been moving northeastwards throughout the day, with the main rainband now confined to Leinster and Ulster. The effects of full cloud cover and evaporative cooling yielded some dissapointing maximum temperatures, which ranged from just 10.1 °C at Connaught Airport to 15.4 °C at Valentia.
    Maximum Temperatures to 7 pm (°C)
    • Valentia 15.4
    • Malin Head 14.8
    • Shannon Airport 14.0
    • Cork airport 14.0
    • Sherkin Island 13.9
    • Mace Head 13.9
    • Roches Point 13.9
    • Johnstown Castle 13.4
    • Dublin Airport 13.1
    • Casement 12.9
    • Belmullet 12.8
    • Gurteen 12.0
    • Claremorris 11.7
    • Connaught Airport 10.1
    Persistent rainfall led to some very high totals, with 22 mm (0.88″) falling in 6 hours at Valentia. The main rain band is still affecting the east and northeast, so we can expect a few more millimetres to be added on top of the figures quoted below.

It's from Irishweatheronline.com, a weather web-site I particularly like.

Back 'on-thread' now....

This really is a fabulous thread and story - I check in very regularly, to look for the next instalment. I really do hope you get the boat finished soon DNME - I suspect many people will have a drink to bless the boat when you launch her!

Best of luck with it, and keep the updates coming!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As a wooden boat builder I have had all the Noah's ark jokes thrown at me, but if this rain keeps up us boaters will have the last laugh.:D

I gotta be honest, if it's gonna rain, then I prefer days like this where it pisses down. I get to sit in with my feet up by my big f'off tele and chill totally, and the heavy rain has the effect of removing all guilt.

I've had multiple Judge Judy's
    Soprano fest
    Count Down (Rachel Riley ooohhhh gooddddd)
    Deal or no Deal
    Glastonbury
    My Beloved F1 Friday practice
    More Glastonbury tonight
    Also The Big C (RTE 2 @10:30, awesome)

And then of course there's this beauty, piping hot rhubarb tart and way too much ice cream, gotta love a rainy day.
    1. Photographed at 21:40pm on Friday 24th June, 2011. Sadly no longer with us:cool:
    164600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

fergal.b wrote: »
    Also there is a boat jumble sale on in Dún Laoghaire on the 12th http://www.boatjumble.ie/ it should have more than one stall :D.

Oh - that jumble sucked also :(- about 6 boats for sale - and no jumble at all. Unless I missed something.

ps. great thread - hope you get a decent break in the weather soon....

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote: »
    Oh - that jumble sucked also :(- about 6 boats for sale - and no jumble at all. Unless I missed something.

ps. great thread - hope you get a decent break in the weather soon....

Good to know I didn't waste any more petrol or money. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

First off, sorry to hear of the passing of the rhubarb tart and ice-cream, I can imagine you two were close:p

I'm getting withdrawals from boating all the same, it seems the same formula every nice day, starts good in the morning and then p1sses down for the rest of the day. I'm seriously thinking of starting the winter works now while the days are a bit longer and its not minus 20.

Luckily we have a shed to work in but it means a 20 min drive which can be aqward if you forget to bring the right screwdriver from home. How did you get on with the timber? any luck getting them cut?

Slig wrote: »
    How did you get on with the timber? any luck getting them cut?

No luck so far, still trying to source hardwood and a table saw. Had a few offers over on woodcraft that might work out.

Day 22

It's been 2 months since we had a sunny day here, and if I recall correctly, it's been 2 months since we had a totally dry day. On a side note, the weather is a point or particular concern to scientists right now because the sun is going through a period of unusual inactivity and as we know the jet stream continues to run off it's normal track. The past 2 months have been not only wet, but very cold. Infact twice during June, I removed frost from my car. If we transpose this pattern 6 months into the future, you are looking at the mother of all big freezes next winter. Scientifically, it's a good bet right now.

I was up ant at 'em this morning in anticipation of a fine day. I wanted to get started on that big bastard hole in the hull. In order to lay glass down over that hole, I need to remove some of the cabin bulkhead which is right in the way. Also, the floor of the Norman, uses wrap over laminations of grp to hold in things like seats etc. Over the years these laminations have become packed with crap which is rotten etc. So I needed to remove some of these joints.

In doing that, I removed some of the under door stringer which was so rotten it resembled wet turf. From this exploratory cut, I am now resigned to the fact that several of the stringers may be rotten. When I cut a hole in the bulk head to allow a through passage for ther hole repair, I needed to remove another stringer inside the cabin and it too was rotten. The good news is that some exploratory cuts into stringers on the deck reveals that they are reasonably sound.

I have found it difficult to source hardwood for my side keels which I removed recently. In the meantime I have the two old keel timbers in the house drying out. It turns out that I think they may be salvageable. One of them has some rot which I can cut out and refill with filler or epoxy. The other one seems sound. I'm just wondering should I treat these timbers with anything before refitting them? I fear that the likes of a preservative oil or creosote will prevent new glass / resin sticking to them, any advice on this anyone? Will I just fit them dry?

I spent the day cutting, grinding and sanding old grp. The dust was horrid, It was like spending the day in a vat of itching powder. I removed some crap from the floor of that boat I tell you. I got down to a nice clean grp floor grinded and sanded all around the hole. I then applied I'd say 15-20 cuts of woven coving to the hole. I started off with small pieces and worked my way outwards with bigger pieces. I mixed it up between 280gsm and 600gsm. I also mixed up the cuts between 90 and 45 degrees. It's a good trick that, if you cut some cloth at 45 degrees it alternates the edging, it also adds a bi-axial weave direction mixed into the patch. It can be a little inefficient cutting out shapes at 45 degrees but you can always use the off cuts somewhere.

1. Discovering rotten stringers all over the place.
    165606.jpg

2. Time to stop faffing about. Big guns are needed.
    165607.jpg

3. You can see the hole ends right at the cabin bulkhead so I need to cut out a section in that bulkhead in order to allow me continuous repair access to the floor. I backed up the repair area underneath with a piece of ply covered in wax paper.
    165608.jpg

4. From here, it's basically a case of cutting out pieces of woven roving and wetting them through with epoxy. I'd say there are 15-20 pieces gone into this repair. I used 280 and 600gsm, I alternated the cut between straight and 45 degrees giving me a bi-axial mix.
    165609.jpg

5. I finished with a few nice big pieces of cloth. I then rolled the entire patch to remove air and tighten it all down. I'll leave this to cure for a week or so. I was hoping to add a few layers of cloth from the underside to form a sandwich. But it was 9pm when I got the topside done and was exhausted and crippled with back pain. Enough for one day.
    165610.jpg

No problem to you :D That should be set tomorrow it might feel a bit sticky but thats just the amine blush you have to wash that off before you sand it or add more as it will just clog up your sandpaper. If you like you can also get a white colouring to add to the last coat to make it match up.
    I don't think you need to add anything to your stringers as when you fiberglass them in they should be watertight.
    Your getting there now.:)

No problem to you :D That should be set tomorrow it might feel a bit sticky but thats just the amine blush you have to wash that off before you sand it or add more as it will just clog up your sandpaper. If you like you can also get a white colouring to add to the last coat to make it match up.
    I don't think you need to add anything to your stringers as when you fiberglass them in they should be watertight.
    Your getting there now.:)

Fergal,
    re-amine blush, wash it off with what?

re-white colouring
    Are you saying add a colourant to the epoxy when laying glass?

Just water a scouring pad and a drop of washing up liquid then rinse.
    You can mix it with your resin to give the same look as the fiberglass thats there, if you want you can do it with every coat or just on the last few as you are glassing. If you are going to paint everything it won't really matter.

Just water a scouring pad and a drop of washing up liquid then rinse.
    You can mix it with your resin to give the same look as the fiberglass thats there, if you want you can do it with every coat or just on the last few as you are glassing. If you are going to paint everything it won't really matter.

Fergal, many thanks yet again. Tell me, where would I get a pigment (for colouring white) that can be added to epoxy (not polyester) resin? Have you any links? MB Fibreglass do a pigment but it's for poly etc

EDIT:
    Forget that, apologies. I see they do infact do an epoxy pigment here http://www.mbfg.co.uk/epoxy-pigments.html

Day 23

More of the same today while the weather allows. I grinded out and patched two other holes in the hull.

I inspected my repair from yesterday (Day 22). It definitely valleyed a bit, the backing was not strong enough and this allowed the glass / epoxy layers to sag into the wound. The new repair is sagging through the hole and about 5mm proud of the surface. So I started to grind it back flush with the underside. I learned a lesson from it. Make the backing strong, firm and flush. I'll grind it back on the underside, then grind a little on the topside and add a fiew more pieces of glass up there to compensate for the reduction in thickness that today's grinding will result in.

Also, I'm wondering if this combination of epoxy and woven coving isn't a little bit brittle? I'm sure it's my imagination and the fact that I've never done this before so I lack experience and reference. When I apply test pressure to repairs, I can hear the grp creak and crack. Not very reassuring is all. Am I being paranoid?

Once I do these local repairs, I have decided to coat the entire floor with a layer or two of coving cloth and epoxy. The floor is bloody thin, like 2-3mm and looks to me it's plastic rather than glass, at least when I grind it back, it appears as a solid white plastic. Again I lack experience and reference, I'm kinda in the dark. I wish I had an expert throw an eye over my work on site and tell me where I am going wrong.

So a few more hull patches today, and then a sad moment. The old angle grinder I had been using was getting very hot lately and much weaker in terms of load resistance. Today, it just burnt out. A few major flashes and sparks followed by a substantial amount of smoke. The old tool was on loan from a mate. He's been made aware. Funeral mass and burial tomorrow followed by a trip to Amazon for this little beauty. Also won an Ebay auction tonight for a sweet little JCB router. It's a 1/4" model, almost new with box and accessories, €50 delivered.

1. Way back in the early days of this project, the first hole I spotted in the floor brought to my attention by rocking the boat on its trailer stands. Finally patched it today.
    165742.jpg

2. As above, the patch covered with a couple of bigger cloth pieces to reinforce the floor in this area on the port side.
    165743.jpg

3. Port side again, just outside cabin at helm.
    165744.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

I think your idea to lay down a layer of fibber glass is a good idea, however I would not be overly concerned about how thin the hull is in general. Back back in the day when they first started using fiberglass to make boats and yachts they really went over board on the thickness of the hull. If you look at jaguar yachts they are very robust about 3cm thick all over the hull!!

But if you look a modern yachts like benetaus they have seriously thin hull. Only strengthen at joins and the likes.

Considering the age of your boat thou It would do not harm to lay down another layer. Will give you good piece of mind.

Do remember thou when fibre glass sets, it it a seriously string material!!

Best of luck. We are all rooting for you.

• Advertisement

Day 24

Just getting the floor ready for a layer of glass and epoxy. Ordered new angle grinder and a few bits and bobs from Amazon so waiting for that. Also the weather is to close in again tonight so I'll shut up talking and post a couple of pics and a review video.

1. Overlap seam where port side seating was held in place. This is now redundant and I am cutting it out throughout the floor.
    165835.jpg

2. Little Aldi Dremmel and a batch of metal cutting disks that I got from Ebay for a few pence. This tool allows me to make very precise cuts without damaging the floor.
    165836.jpg

3. Using the cutter to remove the old overlap joints so that I am left with a flush floor that can be grinded back to clean grp.
    165837.jpg

4. Review video

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

dnme wrote: »
    So a few more hull patches today, and then a sad moment. The old angle grinder I had been using was getting very hot lately and much weaker in terms of load resistance. Today, it just burnt out. A few major flashes and sparks followed by a substantial amount of smoke. The old tool was on loan from a mate. He's been made aware. Funeral mass and burial tomorrow followed by a trip to Amazon for this little beauty. Also won an Ebay auction tonight for a sweet little JCB router. It's a 1/4" model, almost new with box and accessories, €50 delivered.

RIP
    I'll miss it.

But at least my router is now safe :D

Another great post :D
    Put up a list of things you need to start finishing her, stuff you would look for if you were at a boat jumble and I will have a look and see what I have to help her get on the water.

It BeeMee wrote: »
    RIP
    I'll miss it.

But at least my router is now safe :D

Hey bitch, I've still got your belt sander, drill and jigsaw. They might go the same way you know. Why waste money on tools when your dozey lifelong mates exist....ke ke ke

Another great post :D
    Put up a list of things you need to start finishing her, stuff you would look for if you were at a boat jumble and I will have a look and see what I have to help her get on the water.

Well Fergal, the plan roughly speaking is as follows.

1. Glass out the floor, fill all hull patches and fair them.

2. Add / repair stringers, need hardwood leats (1"x2" or near).

3. Repair / reinforce all topside grp damage.

4. Paint the exterior, underside and topside. I think I will go with toplac all round. Might start with a coat or two of epoxy.

5. Cable the boat, Not sure how boats are wired. I was thinking of a star/radial mix. Might create 1 or 2 light circuits and have individual switches on each light.
    I need signal lights, switch panel etc (ebay).

6. Build a helm panel, I want to build a helm dash panel and mount it to the port side bulk head. This will house steering and electrics, it will be accessible from inside the cabin via a door in the bulkhead.
    But before I build the panel, I need to know a bit about the steering system it will house as in dimensions etc. I have no clue as to what I will be using yet. I would like to use a single cable system so need to look into these and order one soon. I might try to reuse the old throttle cable and controls, new ones seem very expensive.

7. Build a galley on starboard and a cupboard on portside. I'll use simple builders merchants leats and WBP ply. Need to kit galley out with a stove and sink.

8. Build seating on deck. Need hardwood leats and will use marine ply.

9. Put down a floor, 18mm marine play.

10. Build a cabin door.

11. hardwood strakes, need to source and fit hardwood.

12. Gunwale fender rubber, need to source and fit. I am thinking of going with very oversized rubber here as it will create a wider toerail and make the overall appearance of the vessel a bit more substantial.

13. Need to sort out bow windows, god knows how

14. Need to sort out viser / windscreen. I an thinking of building a custom windscreen using a hardwood frame and fitted perspex, an up and over version that covers some of the deck and is suitable for my height.

15. Kit Out, if you can think of it, I probably need it. Definately need the following
    - Fixtures and fittings, latches, locks etc
    - Cabin interior, carpet, paint, seating foam and covers, what have you...
    - SS Hinges
    - SS Cleats
    - SS grab rails (might go with wooden ones instead)
    - SS eyes (for holding fenders)
    - 12v horn
    - Fenders
    - Lights, port, starboard, bow, stern, interior lighting
    - Fire extinguisher
    - Batteries and heavy cabling
    - Hooks, rope, anchor

This list is not exhaustive by any means. It's just all I can think of right now. There's still a ton of work to do.

EDIT: (knew I'd forget stuff)
    Still have to sort out keels and glass them in. Don't know how I'm going to do that because it's an external repair that meets the underside gelcoat. Also I can't use matt (not with epoxy) so I need to use cloth and I'm not sure how well it wraps around tight angles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just saw this thread now :) Great work so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

dlofnep wrote: »
    Just saw this thread now :) Great work so far!

Me too, very impressive, keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Indeed, this thread is a very interesting read. Thank you for documenting your process so well and best of luck in your undertaking :)
    Hope the weather stays clement so that you manage to hit the water soon ! :)

V

I have a 60's bow light and flag pole it's not 100% but looks ok if you want it
    DSC00920.jpg
    I also have two steering systems a rotary and a rack and pinion but not sure if the cable is long enough we see when the time comes.
    The throttle cable you have will only fit the type of engine that was on the boat but I have some mercury ones if you need them, sometimes when you buy an engine you will get the controls and cables with it.
    Lidl have some sun lounger cushions blue and white strips that might do for your seats :) The carpet I use is the rubber back office carpet you can get cheep remnants from any shop.
    I may also have a bow handle and cleats so hold off on buying them.
    Is this the type of screen and cover your talking about.
    http://roeboats.com/2011/06/02/finally-shes-ready-for-the-roadriver/

• Advertisement

I have a 60's bow light and flag pole it's not 100% but looks ok if you want it

I also have two steering systems a rotary and a rack and pinion but not sure if the cable is long enough we see when the time comes.
    The throttle cable you have will only fit the type of engine that was on the boat but I have some mercury ones if you need them, sometimes when you buy an engine you will get the controls and cables with it.
    Lidl have some sun lounger cushions blue and white strips that might do for your seats :) The carpet I use is the rubber back office carpet you can get cheep remnants from any shop.
    I may also have a bow handle and cleats so hold off on buying them.
    Is this the type of screen and cover your talking about.
    http://roeboats.com/2011/06/02/finally-shes-ready-for-the-roadriver/

Fergal, many many thanks for this. I am forever grateful to you for everything.

I will go with lights from Ebay cos they are so cheap and I can get a kit all in one.

re-Steering, Is there anyway I can start building the helm console without having the steering system or should I bite the bullet and buy a system now? To build the console I'll need to know sizes and ideally would need the system and the wheel in place for fitting / measuring.

Throttle cable - I'll leave until buying engine (could be years away)

Fergal, no, that screen and cover is too long. I'm only talking about a screen and cover of a foot or two, and it's merely a thought at this stage.

Flagpole bow handle and cleats might work a treat. If you come across them post a pic.

Advertisement