Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you want to JTAG your xbox360? (POST 248 FOR xeBuild/16197 TUT)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Discussion of how best to pirate games is against the forums rules, your just asking to get banned. Check out Freestyle Dash, xexmenu is very basic and no longer being developed...

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Oops, my bad (again).

Shan't happen any more!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Better solutions exist for multi-disc games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

finding conflicting reports on this online, so said id ask here. ive got no hard drive for the jtagged xbox. do i need to get one, or is it possible to do everything i need to do with a usb one? some things i read say its ok to just use usb, but offer no solution on how to do it, while others say you need a hard drive attached to the hd port at the top in order to use the jtag features properly

i know someones gonna say google for it, but without knowing the basics its impossible to know what im looking for. its tough to find a solution when youre not entirely sure of the problem

For trouble-free use, I highly recommend a hard drive. The great thing about the JTAG is you don't need an official one, any 2.5" SATA hard drive will do, 20gb, 500gb, 1TB - whatever. You can pick up the enclosure for it from ebay or DealExtreme for $10.

To get going on trying a USB method you need to do the following:

Format the drive to FAT32, put your files onto the hard drive in their own folders, also put on Freestyle Dash into it's own folder (e.g. USB:\Freestyle). Get the Live CD version of XexMenu. Burn the ISO to a CD and put this into the DVD drive of the console. Run the application and from here you can run other XEX files (programs) such as Freestyle Dash. To get the best usability you should run DashLaunch which is an app that will launch applications on boot (e.g. Freestyle Dash) so you don't always have to go into XeXMenu. Be sure to set up your launch.ini file properly, read the README with DashLaunch.

If you got it working, when you have your USB hard drive connected and turn on the console it should auto-launch FSD. In FSD you can set up drive paths for FSD to search for Homebrew, Games, Emulators etc so set it up properly and then use away. Note that if the drive is formatted FAT32 you cannot use it for saving games or other xbox data. It is possible to use the dashboard to format the hard drive into XBFS format but that only uses a maximum of 16GB. Then you can format the rest of the drive as FAT32 using a PC. This dual-format drive can save games (on the XBFS partition) and store files for Freestyle Dash on the FAT32 partition. There are a few caveats I can think of, they might have workarounds though - since the USB drive isn't following standard xbox hard drive file structure I have no idea where you put Title Updates or DLC. These usually go in a specific folder on the hard drive, and I'm not even sure if the console looks on USB storage for TU/DLC. Freestyle Dash v2.0 might take care of the TUs for you though, but you could be out of luck on DLC.

Anyway, that's enough to get you going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

cheers mate, greatly appreciated. theres a few 120gb hds with enclosures on ebay for $40-ish

i think ill just bypass the messing and buy one of them for handiness

ive also got a question abour the fat32 formatting. i formatted my hd (1tb external) as fat 32, but when i try to copy larger isos onto it i get an error that theyre too big. obviously that's not ideal, but since everywhere says fat32 is what you use, im a little confused as to why its not working. am i doing something wrong or is there a particular method of formatting that i should be using?

Xbox 360 game DVDs are DVD dual layers roughly 8GB big. The max single file a FAT table can handle is 4GB. This is why you cannot copy them onto the hard drive.

Apart from explaining why it isn't working, telling you you're going about this the wrong way because there are no ISO launchers for the JTAG, and suggesting you read the last post of page 3 again in closer detail, it is against the rules to offer any help in relation to ISO files, or getting backups to run ;)

For $65USD you can pick up a 500GB 2.5" SATA drive and an enclosure from DX, I highly recommend a bigger drive for the JTAG ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Helix wrote: »
    cheers mate, greatly appreciated. theres a few 120gb hds with enclosures on ebay for $40-ish

i think ill just bypass the messing and buy one of them for handiness

ive also got a question abour the fat32 formatting. i formatted my hd (1tb external) as fat 32, but when i try to copy larger isos onto it i get an error that theyre too big. obviously that's not ideal, but since everywhere says fat32 is what you use, im a little confused as to why its not working. am i doing something wrong or is there a particular method of formatting that i should be using?

A 120GB MS Hdd is a complete waste on a Jtag, seriously its worth looking into a 2.5" one as you wouldnm't see 120GB going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Can I J-Tag my Xbox???

Dashboard: 2.0.13146.0
    Manuf. Date: 02/11/2005

What are the chances of getting RROD after doing it?

Your dashboard version is too high it must be 2.0.7371 or below to be eligible for the hack, it won't affect your chances of getting RROD either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

It is lower :confused:

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Can I J-Tag my Xbox???

Dashboard: 2.0.13146.0
    Manuf. Date: 02/11/2005

What are the chances of getting RROD after doing it?

Your dashboard version is past 2.0.7371 so it can't be hacked and it can't downgraded :(

Dashboard version 2.0.yyyyy.0 where yyyyy is not greater than 7371, but your dash is, so justryan is correct, no JTAG for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

anyone got a quick simple guide for the new bestpig going up to 13146.

Dont want to make a mess of it this time around

justryan wrote: »

Thanks, though it might have changed for the new dash

Those steps are fool proof, give it a try but always keep a back up of your original NAND and CPU Key

anyone got a quick simple guide for the new bestpig going up to 13146.

Dont want to make a mess of it this time around

To reflect this, do we need to keep using the 'custom freeboot' to inject the aud_clamp smd? Or can I use my 12625 dump done with fbbuild as a reference for BP tool, negating the need to redo the smd fix? I seriously don't want to go soldering again this time either...

Always choose 'custom freeboot' unless it's a Xenon

Always choose 'custom freeboot' unless it's a Xenon

Cool, so custom freeboot, inject the correct smd files, & build? I'll deal with this over the next day or so. Hopefully all goes well, BP is the only tool/frontend I'll use for automating fbbuild...the rest are absolute ****e.

• Advertisement

Same here I always wait for the next BP release(no offence TV), I'd imagine that's the way you do it I haven't sacrificed tested my 12625 Jasper with it yet :D

Same here I always wait for the next BP release(no offence TV), I'd imagine that's the way you do it I haven't sacrificed tested my 12625 Jasper with it yet :D

TV is a fbbuild man, & also gives BP the green light. Like myself, he's had to go soldering after using the other tools. I learned my lesson the last time, whole day wasted.

EnterNow wrote: »
    To reflect this, do we need to keep using the 'custom freeboot' to inject the aud_clamp smd? Or can I use my 12625 dump done with fbbuild as a reference for BP tool, negating the need to redo the smd fix? I seriously don't want to go soldering again this time either...

I can't be certain that the BestPig tool decrypts the SMC from the provided nand file or has it's own Jasper SMC that it uses. Without being certain, I'd recommend just using custom freeBOOT and throwing in the SMC manually. That being said, it's something that can be fixed quite easily if you forget to click 'custom freeBOOT', and the SMC that I provided is just a bugfixed SMC so the only thing it should have any effect on is stuff like the console rebooting if you leave the play & charge kit. It's not an absolutely vital step, but definitely a recommended one :)

@justryan: No offence taken, this time around I did wait for Bestpig to update his tool - I was pretty busy when fbBuild v0.31 came around. Sometimes the simpler solution is the better way to go :)

N00b question time.

got the fb build using the aud clamp from TV. created the .bin booted into xell and it picks up the usb key but doesnt seem to do anything else

rebooted into fsd and kernel is still 12611

What am i doing wrong???

Firstly, the Bestpig toolbox generated file needs to be called updflash.bin. Are you sure the USB stick is detected? It needs to be FAT32 formatted, not NTFS. The file needs to be located in the drive root, not in a folder.

When Xell is booting if it detects the USB drive and can access it you should see several lines of text where it searches for named files:
    Searching for updslot0.bin...
    Searching for updslot1.bin...
    Searching for updpatch.bin...
    Searching for updflash.bin. File found.
    If you do not want your console to update then turn the POWER OFF now

If you get to the part of Xell where it's just sitting there and you're looking at an IP address then obviously it isn't working - it's most likely an issue with your USB stick. Either try another USB slot or just use Flash360 to flash updflash.bin instead of Xell.

Latest Bestpig toolbox, " Your dump has not been properly extracted. The reason is unknown." Sigh :(

Brand new dump taken today, tried with my fbbuilt 12625 dump, same result. The toolbox will open my 12611 bp built image, but won't build a new one without errors. Cpu key is correct, verified with 360 flash tool.

I'll look at building it manually tomorrow instead.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Latest Bestpig toolbox, " Your dump has not been properly extracted. The reason is unknown." Sigh :(

Brand new dump taken today, tried with my fbbuilt 12625 dump, same result. The toolbox will open my 12611 bp built image, but won't build a new one without errors. Cpu key is correct, verified with 360 flash tool.

I'll look at building it manually tomorrow instead.

Did it get to 100% or did you get the error at around 80% sometimes it generates updflash.bin even with an error

Did it get to 100% or did you get the error at around 80% sometimes it generates updflash.bin even with an error

38% every time on my recent dump & my 12625 fbbuild dump. Both files open perfectly in the flash 360 tool though with the same cpukey :confused:

Another quick question, just to make sure i done everything right

Have the update installed (using flash360) reinstalled dashlaunch and booting back into fsd2. Do i need to install the MS Update now or leave it alone?

I got the welcome boot screens when rebooting after the update

• Advertisement

Put the 13146 update on USB stick this will install avatars and what not

Advertisement