Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Runner Magazine

Options
  • 01-07-2011 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I received the lovely gift of a subscription to the Irish Runner Magazine back in May. The magazine was delivered towards the end of May.

I don't have it to hand at the minute, so I don't know what period that magazine covered, or if it's published monthly or bi-monthly - and I received nothing in June...

Just wondering if anyone here could tell me. Should I be calling them looking for a missing delivery, or waiting til mid - end of July for the next one??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Its bi-monthly, I think the last one was May/June.Its normally a bit slow coming out so mid to end July for the next one would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

latest one I have (got last Sun at national juniors) includes results of Schools All-Ireland which was first Sat in June, so I'd guess your missing one.

Cover of the latest one I have is at
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=9560

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

latest one I have (got last Sun at national juniors) includes results of Schools All-Ireland which was first Sat in June, so I'd guess your missing one.

Cover of the latest one I have is at
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=9560

There are 2 covers there. :confused::confused::confused: The last one I got is the one with Sonia O'Sullivan on the cover...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I got a subscription to it last year and only got 3 or 4 [and not 5 or 6 I was expecting] so I never bothered to renew tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

<There are 2 covers there. confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif The last one I got is the one with Sonia O'Sullivan on the cover>

I got the other one....Amy O'Donoghue on cover (? i think, at the schools all-ireland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Mine was delivered last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I had a little giggle at this months subscription insert - there was no amount show - are subscriptions free :p?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

I got mine last week too. I've had problems in the past but were sorted out very quickly once I emailed them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

notsofast wrote: »
    I got mine last week too. I've had problems in the past but were sorted out very quickly once I emailed them about it.

It's erratic in it's publication. I think it's generally 5 issues a year despite being bi monthly in theory. Anyone else think it's gotten a little cliquey recently??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

It's erratic in it's publication. I think it's generally 5 issues a year despite being bi monthly in theory. Anyone else think it's gotten a little cliquey recently??

$hitty is a description more fitting. It's the same auld crap recycled every year or two. Interviews that could be interesting are always way too short. Don't buy it any more but flick through a copy that is left in club house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

spot on RR, Irish Runner claims to never have lost its ethos of appealing to the ordainary runner yet it seems to be turning into a celebrity focused rag. Kathryn Thomas aims to run 3 hour marathon off 2 days per week training what a joke. As for Brendan OShea and his evergreen one size fits all marathon plan for any finish time, well theve wheeled that one out for 20 odd years or maybe 30.Not worth 1 euro let alone 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I think the irishrunner has improved over the last year.Didn't see where it says Kathryn Thomas aims to run 3 hour marathon off 2 days per week training :confused:
    If people think they can help improve it send in some ideas to editor@irishrunner.ie

there is always articles about the ordinary runner,if anything most club runners complain not enough on emerging athletes and current seniors.
    The top athletes are the ones we need to flourish to help improve the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

they are the ordainary runners Im talking about, too much junk about celebrity and feel good mumbo jumbo not enough nuts and bolts athletics. Now its in bed with AAI no critique either.The bit about Kathryn Thomas is there in print, it requires no explanation. Excuse my spelling please not my strong point.:)

I think the irishrunner has improved over the last year.Didn't see where it says Kathryn Thomas aims to run 3 hour marathon off 2 days per week training :confused:
    If people think they can help improve it send in some ideas to editor@irishrunner.ie

there is always articles about the ordinary runner,if anything most club runners complain not enough on emerging athletes and current seniors.
    The top athletes are the ones we need to flourish to help improve the sport.

Yeah she aims to run sub 3, horse crap. I've emailed and spoken to editor before but was ignored. I cracked up last year when they have Jimmy Dineen (the politician may have name wrong) giving marathon tips. He had admitted to doing next to no training and finished over 5 hours and he was giving tips, and it wasn't not what to do! give me a break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I agree its improved over the last year, but some of the 'celeb' stuff is crap. But there is always some gems in it - Mick Rice's and Peter Maher's articles come to mind and are always worth a read, and I love reading about the 'old timers' and their training and racing, not everyone's cup of tea, but I always find them good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Tangle2

Several people criticise this publication but at least it is a good effort to provide updates on athletics in Ireland through five or six publications a year. Athletics in Ireland is a small community so rather than having a cheap pop on boards why not do something tio channe what you don't like by providing some subject material for an article or make a few decent suggestions

As an aside congrats to Liam Markham on his 3.45 for 1500m in Mannheim today. Up the banner!!

Tangle2 wrote: »
    Several people criticise this publication but at least it is a good effort to provide updates on athletics in Ireland through five or six publications a year. Athletics in Ireland is a small community so rather than having a cheap pop on boards why not do something tio channe what you don't like by providing some subject material for an article or make a few decent suggestions

As an aside congrats to Liam Markham on his 3.45 for 1500m in Mannheim today. Up the banner!!

Wouldn't bother submitting an article to that publication. A friend of mne is serious about setting up a Bona fida runners magazine and I would rather put my efforts into that. Easy to say I'm a back seat critic but I'm genuinely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Is Run Direct still going, I don't think it is
    If it is you could send an article to them

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Getonwithit

Wouldn't bother submitting an article to that publication. A friend of mne is serious about setting up a Bona fida runners magazine and I would rather put my efforts into that. Easy to say I'm a back seat critic but I'm genuinely not.

A new magazine?? Tell us more!
    Couple of things came up here..
    The constant nostalgia does grate a little. Might be fair to say it has a Dublin bias too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

I tend to skim IR as there is nothing of interest for me and anything that's there I have read online already. I think for print media to suceed these days it needs to have a different interesting angle or be very well written. I get Track and Field News and I reckon I read each copy of that 3 or 4 times. I read IR once while waiting for the kettle to boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

In fairness there are quite a few (including people here) who have been proactive in the promotion of the sport both on a local and international level in recent times.

Two of the site which come to mind in this are:

http://www.therunningreview.com/ (few good athlete interviews)

http://www.runningmanathletics.com/ (again athlete interviews pretty good and based more around the Junior/up and coming athletes)

Both are relatively new but are doing their best to change things and encourage peoples input

Just picked up the latest copy. Had a flick through it before purchasing to make sure it wasn't going to be a wasted fiver. In fairness there is a new look and what could be some interesting interviews. Doesn't appear to be any of the recycled crap that had become the norm. Also looks like a little refocus on the elite side of athletics which I'm delighted to see. I got the impression it was turning into a joggers magazine.

Finally there is a beautiful picture of one Mr Tunguska on page 70. One for the bedroom wall ladies ;)

Picked it up this morning and I agree its a good issue, but Catherina Mckiernan and her Chi running again:( Every bloody issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Any update on Katherine Thomas's sub 3 attempt? :p:D:p

Any update on Katherine Thomas's sub 3 attempt? :p:D:p

no, but here is my grumpy ass negative assessment. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I subscribed bout 12months ago for €30/6mths , got one copy , rang a couple a times , given promises , nothin , so just left it after that ! most expensive magazine i ever bought for 30 bucks .

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I just picked it up yesterday and have only flicked through. My first thoughts were however, chi running, nooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

It's definitely improving alright. On my subscription renewal, there is a question asking if you think IR should go monthly. If the recent quality is maintained, I would say yes but I'm not so sure if there's enough material for a monthly magazine, especially in winter.

notsofast wrote: »
    It's definitely improving alright. On my subscription renewal, there is a question asking if you think IR should go monthly. If the recent quality is maintained, I would say yes but I'm not so sure if there's enough material for a monthly magazine, especially in winter.
    Ah sure, they could always fill it up with articles about chi running:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gerard65 wrote: »
    Ah sure, they could always fill it up with articles about chi running:rolleyes:
    Yep because there are no national marathons, european XC, inter counties, or mountain running in the winter not to mention the indoors :), so maybe more chi running or some good barefoot running :)

Advertisement