Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government introduces Postcodes in Ireland..?

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

iMax wrote: »
    Not getting at you Gary, I was genuinely surprised by your answers. I think the system is great, but as you pointed out it's not a postcode system. It's a gps system & what's needed is a postcode system. For post.

If I want a GPS system I'll use a garmin, or a tom tom or whatever, I've driven in the UK (including NI) & the USA using GPS -> tap in the post/zip code & I've been brought direct to the spot. It's a system that works & it doesn't really need another layer. All we need is post codes, not individual gps co-ordinates. We're a tiny island, it's possible to find where you want to be (if you're not in a medical emergency) using the old-fashioned method, & map/asking directions.

I'm sure the app is successful if that many people download it, however, it's only useful for those who want to build their own databases & therefore, for me to use it the way I want to, the place I want to go to has to be able to give me the Loc8 code. I'd love to try it out & be converted to it, but I'm not going to fork out €3.99 to find out I was right.

(incidentally, the link on your blog is incorrect)

I agree that people who jump into a thread should at least make some effort to:
    1. read some of the previous exchanges on the subject
    2. spend a little time researching the background to the subject before commenting.

A postcode is no longer required to sort post - a postcode is not required in Ireland for this purpose according to An Post themselves: "PostCodes are the application of 1960’s technology to a 21st Century Problem"

The point8 App you refer to has nothing to do with "creating a database" - it is related to:

1. entering a Loc8 Code and finding it on Google maps or navigating to it with Google or with pre installed Navigon and TomTom apps which many already use.
    2. Generating a Loc8 Code for your current location to pass on in the event of a breakdown or emergency
    3. Generating a Loc8 Code for current gps position or map location to use to organise a RV using text or email.
    4. Generating a Loc8 Code to send a related maplink to Twitter or Facebook.
    5. Reading and Navigating to a Loc8 Code embedded in a QR Code.

If none of these requirements are for you then that's perfectly fine. However, there are many who do use them and who have paid a once off €3.99 because the use of Loc8 Codes saves them that much and more weekly in time and related fuel costs in finding places.

In Northern Ireland and the UK entering a postcode alone does not bring you to the spot - you need a property number also and and in many rural areas even the combination of both does not work either. There are Loc8 Code users in Northern Ireland too because a UK postcode requires every road to have a name and every property to have a number and this is not the case in many places in the provence...... this is well recognised by those in the logistics/service provider industries and by many who use Garmins/TomToms/others on a regular basis.

Looks like GPS enabled devices and related precise addressing are not for you - that's fine - but this does not take from the fact that many are delighted to have them and they are a modern commercial tool that even visitors to our country find extremely useful! Hey even the GAA has started to use them.

There is a free database of Royal Mail postcodes and this can be used commercially. This locates down to a fairly small area.

http://data.gov.uk/dataset/os-code-point-open

You can also pay for a database of delivery points. However, this is much more than a postcode database. It includes complete postal addresses for every premises in the UK.

Exactly;- the Royal Mail Postcode delivery points are not free as I stated!

thebman wrote: »
    Yes the particular program I use is an Open Source program called Navit for Android which uses Open Street Maps for navigation so the developers will not be able to afford to license the loc8 codes for Ireland though.

Maybe this is similar to other countries but I would have thought a state created post code system such as the UK's would be licensed for use by anyone so would become freely available.

At the momen, Navit doesn't support any postcodes so it isn't an issue though.

support for Loc8 Codes on Navit can be added to the point8 App also - they just need to advise their Lat/Long entry/exchange format. They will not have to pay for or do anything themselves. (same as has already been done for Google/Navigon and TomTom) If you have contact with them - ask them to contact Loc8 Code directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

garydubh wrote: »
    Exactly;- the Royal Mail Postcode delivery points are not free as I stated!

The paid-for database is much more than a database of DP latitudes and longitudes and that is the reason for the cost associated with it.

The paid-for database is much more than a database of DP latitudes and longitudes and that is the reason for the cost associated with it.

Indeed - same as the Loc8 Code database.....

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

For clarification Gary, I see one of your app store reviewers has mentioned an ongoing cost when using the app. Is this true ?

Is there any charge for using the app in any way after purchasing it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

garydubh wrote: »
    support for Loc8 Codes on Navit can be added to the point8 App also - they just need to advise their Lat/Long entry/exchange format. They will not have to pay for or do anything themselves. (same as has already been done for Google/Navigon and TomTom) If you have contact with them - ask them to contact Loc8 Code directly.

Great thanks, I'm on IRC with them now, might take a while to get a response :)

Got a response, will send by PM.

iMax wrote: »
    For clarification Gary, I see one of your app store reviewers has mentioned an ongoing cost when using the app. Is this true ?

Is there any charge for using the app in any way after purchasing it ?

The app costs €3.99 incl. VAT to download.
    After download there is unlimited generation/lookup of Loc8 Codes for 48hrs to allow generation of Loc8 Codes for family/friends etc.
    Thereafter there is an allocation of 20 Loc8 Code generations/lookups per week.
    Those using more than 20 Loc8 Code generations/lookups per week (commercial users) optionally pay for an in-app download for addional uses.

Therefore there are no ongoing costs directly related to the normal use of point8.
    All this is clearly documented on the Loc8 Code site here and at the point of download on iTunes.

As always clarifications are always quickly available by contacting Loc8 directly at info@loc8code.com

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

To my surprise, I saw that there was a very small update on the Government's postcodes webpage (http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Postal/Postcodes.htm) :
    Project Status (September 2011)

The procurement milestones given in the PQQ are indicative. The procurement process is still ongoing.

Does this mean that the project is actually still on-going in some form?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

byrnefm wrote: »
    Does this mean that the project is actually still on-going in some form?

The project is still ongoing? I thought we were getting post codes this year, at this rate it will be next year 2012, or even later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

LordSutch wrote: »
    The project is still ongoing? I thought we were getting post codes this year, at this rate it will be next year 2012, or even later?

Probably ran out of money for this year talking about how they were going to do it. I remember my mother telling me she heard from the local gossip queen we were getting post codes this year. That was January 2010.

Advertisement