Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect in Sandwich

• 07-06-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All
    Just in search of some opinion ;-)
    I recently purchased a pre-packed sandwich and while half way through eating it I discovered a beetle / insect in it. . In shock I rang the provider and they asked me to send the sandwich back which I did. They then came back to me to let me know it would take 20 days to investigate.
    I received a letter on Friday saying they have carried out an investigation and don’t know where it came from. They enclosed €20 worth of vouchers and please continue to enjoy our sandwiches. The company’s dismissive attitude is not giving me confidence in their product or processes. Would you feel it necessary to let the Health & Safety authority know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You should have taken a picture of the bug, yes I would inform health and safety, there's no harm in them having a look at the premises, they'd be doing it at some point anyway on a random inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea to inform the Food Safety Authority and/or the Local Environmental Health Officer.

However, the manufacturer can't stop 100% of everything from getting into food. As long as they investigate, and take appropriate actions, if required, then they are doing as much as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Did this happen in Galway perchance?

This happened to a friend of mine, same response, €20 and a fob off, my friend persued it and it turned out the beetle came from prepacked lettuce the sandwich makers use.
    The beetles are used as organic pest control and sometimes hitchike on a leaf all the way into your sandwich!
    Not nice though, even if it's extra protein :)

This is why people generally wash lettuce thoroughly...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

They wrote to you and gave you 20 quid of vouchers. What more are you expecting? Punitive damages?

Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Kit1977

thanks to everyone for taking the time to give your opinion.

Eviledna: I bought the sandwich in South Dublin, it was prepacked so I imagine is available all over the country

Wonderfulname: A work colleage took pictures of the sandwich and the rather large beetle also

I suppose it's more the written response I got from the company that has annoyed me , including the quote at the end of their letter stating that they hope I would continue to enjoy their products! Fat chance - I havent touched a sandwich since.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I've had a sandwich with a slug in it - result of complaint was a new sandwich which I refused, I was given my money back. Delightful woman in Ashbourne!
    A cute little baby slug crawled out of my salad in a restaurant in Ranelagh, result of complaint was it was taken off my bill.
    I bit into a large chunk of metal which was in a bowl of grapefruit pieces I purchased at a work canteen. Result of complaint was a tray of their tinned fruit.

Also got a very bad dose of food poisoning, myself and my husband had one meal together that day, pizza from Super$uinn and within 20 mins we were both sick in bed, couldnt' stand up and spent the next 10 hrs throwing up. He lost a days work over it and he contracts so wasn't paid. We were offered a bottle of wine for that which I didn't bother collecting.

I wasn't too impressed with any of the results but wasn't bothered to find out about taking it further. Not like I was given any reassurance that it wasn't going to happen again. Super$uinn did make the biggest deal out of it though and returned calls etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

This thread is actually putting me off food full stop. :(
    i feel a wee bit sick now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

In some parts of the world they'd at least have the sense to fry the insect, add some flavour and serve it in a bag :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should have reported the matter to the Dail Mail before you did anything. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mary28 wrote: »
    I've had a sandwich with a slug in it - result of complaint was a new sandwich which I refused, I was given my money back. Delightful woman in Ashbourne!
    A cute little baby slug crawled out of my salad in a restaurant in Ranelagh, result of complaint was it was taken off my bill.
    I bit into a large chunk of metal which was in a bowl of grapefruit pieces I purchased at a work canteen. Result of complaint was a tray of their tinned fruit.

Also got a very bad dose of food poisoning, myself and my husband had one meal together that day, pizza from Super$uinn and within 20 mins we were both sick in bed, couldnt' stand up and spent the next 10 hrs throwing up. He lost a days work over it and he contracts so wasn't paid. We were offered a bottle of wine for that which I didn't bother collecting.

I wasn't too impressed with any of the results but wasn't bothered to find out about taking it further. Not like I was given any reassurance that it wasn't going to happen again. Super$uinn did make the biggest deal out of it though and returned calls etc.

My OH got a salad with a green caterpillar in it a few years back in a small restaurant in Tullamore. He was having duck and I was having steak, they made a huge deal and replaced his meal even though he was fine about it and I joked that it was just an insect and I was eating a practically raw piece of cow.

When it came to the bill they refused to take anything, I left a tenner tip, both of us had really enjoyed our meal.

I don't really get too fussed over things like this, sure how many spiders and flies are we meant to eat when we're asleep?

My OH got a salad with a green caterpillar in it a few years back in a small restaurant in Tullamore. He was having duck and I was having steak, they made a huge deal and replaced his meal even though he was fine about it and I joked that it was just an insect and I was eating a practically raw piece of cow.

When it came to the bill they refused to take anything, I left a tenner tip, both of us had really enjoyed our meal.

I don't really get too fussed over things like this, sure how many spiders and flies are we meant to eat when we're asleep?

That's just an urban legend.

People get fussy over it because some bugs can carry quite dangerous illnesses/parasites etc. which can be passed on through the contaminated foodstuffs more so than actually eating the things. Your lump of raw cow was sealed and safe to eat, different matter entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

People get fussy over it because some bugs can carry quite dangerous illnesses/parasites etc. which can be passed on through the contaminated foodstuffs more so than actually eating the things.

The upset usually sets in as soon as they hear from a friend how much they could get by hiring an ambulance-chasing lawyer to sue the shop or restaurant.

If more people had your attitude, it would be a lot cheaper to take out public liability insurance for a business in this country.

Oh for the love of... that's a very twisted view of people you're presenting there. Businesses working with food have a legal obligation surrounding pests, I wouldn't dream of suing if I contracted some form of illness that would bring their fulfilment of such into question, I would however report them to the respective authority.
    Don't put words in peoples mouth, you're the first person to bring this up, in fact the OP was annoyed at being fobbed of with something of monetary value, wanting instead reassurance as to the practice of the company in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Oh for the love of... that's a very twisted view of people you're presenting there.

Have you ever studied the 'Solicitors' section of the Golden Pages?

Count how many of the full page advertisements mention 'Personal Injury' and then come back and tell me that I'm a cynic.

That's just an urban legend.

People get fussy over it because some bugs can carry quite dangerous illnesses/parasites etc. which can be passed on through the contaminated foodstuffs more so than actually eating the things. Your lump of raw cow was sealed and safe to eat, different matter entirely.

That's just scaremongering, the majority of insects are perfectly safe. And I know I've accidently ingested flies when out walking the dog. I'm still alive.

People have a wierd attitude towards germs and parasites, a certain amount of germs are good for a healthy immune system, less bleaching of countertops and a healthier attitude to normal everyday dirt would lead to a lot less people getting sick.

Not at all, caterpillar - safe, cockroach - can spread salmonella, that's not scaremongering, its just fact. Swallowing a few flies is not the same. There is a reason for pest related legislation, and yes a certain amount of germs is good for your immune system but that's not a blanket excuse for everything. Similarly a certain amount of bacteria are not safe for human consumption, but that does not merit the crazy germ war domestos and the like are fuelling.

coylemj - and what exactly does that have to do with a bug in a sandwich?

Not at all, caterpillar - safe, cockroach - can spread salmonella, that's not scaremongering, its just fact. Swallowing a few flies is not the same. There is a reason for pest related legislation, and yes a certain amount of germs is good for your immune system but that's not a blanket excuse for everything. Similarly a certain amount of bacteria are not safe for human consumption, but that does not merit the crazy germ war domestos and the like are fuelling.

coylemj - and what exactly does that have to do with a bug in a sandwich?

Was it a cockroach in the sandwich? No. Why bring the thread to the worst case scenario to justify scaremongering.

If there was a cockroach in a sandwich or any other foodstuff I would be worried and bring it to the attention of the HSA. A caterpillar or beetle or similar insect that lives in vegetation is nothing of the sort and hardly made it's way into the food due to unsanitary conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I was in a restaurant once and got a steak.

Took a few bites and thought it tasted a bit strange.

Normally I'll eat anything, but commented to a friend, he tried it, got as far as under his nose and he started gawking.

The Steak was rancid, i.e. well going off .. got knows what was growing on it :)

Anyways I mentioned to the waiter, the waiter came over, maintained there was nothing wrong with it. I asked him to try some, he declined.

He offered to have the chef 'cook it some more' I declined and asked him to take it away, but I cut off a piece, wrapped it in tissue and stuck it in my pocket.

The dude lost it, said I had to give it back, manager came out and started saying the same.

On top of all that they wanted me to pay for the meal, I just paid for the other two meals and not my own, also left out the 'service charge'

They said they were going to call the police, I said "grand call them then". Then it went back to "give back the meat"

Only reason I kept a bit of it, was because if I did get sick i'd be able to give the doctor a piece of the meat so he'd know what he's dealing with.

Theres some cowboy operations around, I didn't get sick in the end but the most I'd do is not go back there again and tell friends about my experience.

Was it a cockroach in the sandwich? No. Why bring the thread to the worst case scenario to justify scaremongering.

If there was a cockroach in a sandwich or any other foodstuff I would be worried and bring it to the attention of the HSA. A caterpillar or beetle or similar insect that lives in vegetation is nothing of the sort and hardly made it's way into the food due to unsanitary conditions.

The OP called it a beetle/insect, we don't have a bloody clue what it is. Assuming there is no harm in it is as bad as scaremongering, this is why people like the HSA do inspections - so we have an answer, its not up to either of us to decide based on zero evidence.

Okay, so they have an unknown beetle/insect, might be dangerous, might be fine, from an unknown place, might have hitched in on the veg, might have come from a nest under the sink, turning up in customers food and this raises no questions what so ever for you?

Also, as I've said, in general I don't give a crap about caterpillars or beetles or whatever, but if it is from lettuce, that kind of implies they don't wash the stuff effectively, which is a concern - even if the beetle itself isn't.

• Advertisement

The OP called it a beetle/insect, we don't have a bloody clue what it is. Assuming there is no harm in it is as bad as scaremongering, this is why people like the HSA do inspections - so we have an answer, its not up to either of us to decide based on zero evidence.

Okay, so they have an unknown beetle/insect, might be dangerous, might be fine, from an unknown place, might have hitched in on the veg, might have come from a nest under the sink, turning up in customers food and this raises no questions what so ever for you?

Also, as I've said, in general I don't give a crap about caterpillars or beetles or whatever, but if it is from lettuce, that kind of implies they don't wash the stuff effectively, which is a concern - even if the beetle itself isn't.

I'd rather have the odd beetle or insect than lettuce that has been artificially preserved or sprayed with insecticide. :D

*sigh* they still have been sprayed with various substances, even if not insecticide, they still need to be washed, its easier to wash off a bloody bug than wash it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Slugs can carry potentially fatal disease

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3204299.stm

The object of complaining should be to prevent the same thing happening in the future.
    This is the way ISO 9000 works

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kit1977

Hi All , thanks again for all your honest comments. For those who feel this is no big deal - I do indeed get where you are coming from, I would normally react in the same manner... .... however the tone and wording of the company response just leaves me annoyed!

Today I had a chat with a colleague who was present when the said ' bettle' was discovered. His rant went on to how accepting the Irish are... . He is not Irish himself. I am now of the opinion that the culture in Ireland is more of one to make excuses for error or mistakes and just take it on the chin. I can now see why our country is the way it is now.

Wrong? Right? Each to their own!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Sorry did I miss something when I read this thread, did the bug in the sandwhich cause an accident? Why would you report it to the Health and Safety Authority? You have mentioned reporting to Health and Safety twice
    in your posts. They deal with accidents in the workplace and the prevention of said accidents. Whilst the HSE controls the EHO's that would deal with food complaints such as bugs in sandwhiches.

OP was the lettuce Iceberg by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Kit1977 wrote: »
    Hi All , thanks again for all your honest comments. For those who feel this is no big deal - I do indeed get where you are coming from, I would normally react in the same manner... .... however the tone and wording of the company response just leaves me annoyed!

Today I had a chat with a colleague who was present when the said ' bettle' was discovered. His rant went on to how accepting the Irish are... . He is not Irish himself. I am now of the opinion that the culture in Ireland is more of one to make excuses for error or mistakes and just take it on the chin. I can now see why our country is the way it is now.

Wrong? Right? Each to their own!!!

Actually we are second in the world behind the states for ambulance chasing compensation claims. If we fall on the ground is this country its the council or someone elses fault not that we tripped over are own feet or lace.

I know several people who worked in customer service positions and they would get the same names popping up with problems all the time. The customers just become claim junkies, looking free products and vounchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Actually we are second in the world behind the states for ambulance chasing compensation claims. If we fall on the ground is this country its the council or someone elses fault not that we tripped over are own feet or lace.

I know several people who worked in customer service positions and they would get the same names popping up with problems all the time. The customers just become claim junkies, looking free products and vounchers.

Nah ... sure in the UK people try to sue if a branch falls off a Tree and hits them on the head.

No Win No Fee doesn't happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Actually we are second in the world behind the states for ambulance chasing compensation claims.
    This urban legend seems to be trotted out all the time wothout any actual evidence. Do you have any?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

No Win No Fee doesn't happen in Ireland.
    It certainly does, probably most personal injury cases in Ireland are handled this way. Solicitors are merely restricted from mentioning it in their advertising.

• Advertisement
Advertisement