Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On a positive note, a girl I work with had her very first "proper bike" ie not a BSO stolen last Thursday while in town. I came in on Monday too find that it was recovered from a "known" bike thief as the gardai describe him on Saturday afternoon as he was spinning around stephens green on the footpath. The Garda copped who he was and took a chance that the bike wasn't his and nicked him for it. When they got to the station my co workers name came up in the book as fitting that description. The thief denied it until the frame number was produced and he could show no proof of purchase.

I know she is one in a thousand but its worth recording your frame number on your receipt (or stamping one on it somewhere discreet if possible) and reporting it to the Gardai ASAP.

I also seen the first bike I got stolen from me (10 years ago now) going past me the other day but it was clear that it was just bought off someone as the cyclist didn't strike me as the thief (I am judgmental). It wasn't worth saying, I just looked on with fond memories, knowing it wasn't worth the hassle.

• Hi,

This is probably a real shot in the dark, but I was hoping somebody out there might help locate my hardtail which was stolen last night.

It's a very distinctive-looking bike as it is racing red with white flashes, has a 23" frame and distinctive rear mudguards.

This is the exact same bike: http://tinyurl.com/3n24vz5

It was taken from the Harold's Cross area between 3am and 8am last night (this morning).

I have reported it stolen to the Gardaí and will keep an eye on all the usual spots to see if it crops up. I have no doubt the thief will attempt to sell the bike in the coming days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Im very close to that area,if anyone comes in and tries to sell it to me ill contact crumlin Garda station straight away.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Threads merged

• Thanks for that, didn't know there was a separate thread.

Any with this would be massively appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mazsoo

Stolen tonight from the underground garage, 117 Cork Street, D8. The bike is brand new. It was locked with a Kryptonite cable lock to the bike rack and the front wheel with an additional lock. Guarda has been informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mazsoo

Here is the pic of the bike.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2wgdftx&s=7

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

This is probably a real shot in the dark, but I was hoping somebody out there might help locate my hardtail which was stolen last night.

It's a very distinctive-looking bike as it is racing red with white flashes, has a 23" frame and distinctive rear mudguards.

This is the exact same bike: http://tinyurl.com/3n24vz5

It was taken from the Harold's Cross area between 3am and 8am last night (this morning).

I have reported it stolen to the Gardaí and will keep an eye on all the usual spots to see if it crops up. I have no doubt the thief will attempt to sell the bike in the coming days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I saw a bike similar to the one you were describing just at Nutgrove (Rathfarnham) earlier today. Sorry I haven't been on my computer to post but it was identical to one in the pic you posted and it had a rear mountain bike mudguard. I don't know if it was your bike but maybe keep an eye out around there - the guy on it was going into Aldi/Homebase/Harvey Normans.

Again sorry I didn't get onto the computer earlier - this info may have been of more use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 anuser

Also.... The Giant is on slicks with a reflective stripe
    anuser wrote: »
    * Black Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Really good condition; standard apart from Black Atomlab Flat Pedals and different Specialized seat; 17" frame.
    Looks like this http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...t:429,r:15,s:0

* Grey/Charcoal Giant Boulder Rock
    Everything but frame modified from standard
    White Halo wheels,
    White DMR V8 pedals,
    Short white stem with Cane Creek headset,
    Blue Blackspire chainring,
    Shimano XT cassette,
    Shimano XT shadow rear derailleur,
    FSA cranks
    21" frame;

Please PM if you have ANY info or sightings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

My Trek 4100 was stolen last Thursday night, it's not the most expensive of bikes on here, or in the best condtion, but thats not the point. :p

It was taken in Knocklyon, Dublin 16, probably by an opportunist who was scoping the place out beteen 3-7am.

Details:

Golden Front Fork Crown (It used to be black - acid rain?!:D)
    Front Forks Slightly rusted
    Cateye Lighit Mounts
    Cateye Wireless Speedo Mount + Wireless Wheel Sensor
    Small rip in the saddle
    Left Brake/Gear Shifter Top Broken.

All of the above sounds bad, but the bike was actually in good reliable condition as it was well cared for. The gears, brakes and bearings were all OK.

I'll be investing in a GSM/GPS tracker for my next bike, about €40 online. :D I might even just leave a crappy bike outside unlocked and go hunting for thieves!

Not the best picture, but it's all I can find right now.

161012.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

(Notice on [URL="[URL]http://www.irishcycling.com"]www.irishcycling.com[/URL[/URL]] - if anyone can help with this one)

IMPORTANT NOTE: MISSING BIKE FROM AN POST RAS
    Yesterday (Sunday) during the final stage of An Post Ras, a very valuable racing bike (a Giant brand) belonging to stage winner David McCann, fell off the roof-rack of his support car on to the bank and into the long grass. This happened between Garristown and Springhill, very close to the yellow sign for the 'Kennels'. A passing cyclist said he seen this bike on the ditch and took a photo of it but we failed to get his name. However, we went to the place where he said he had seen it only a short time earlier.
    After searching the area for a number of hours last night, the bike is still missing.
    If anybody knows anything about the bike or it's whereabouts will they please contact the Gardai in Balbriggan or Gay Howard in Stamullen.
    The loss of this bike to David McCann is unmeasurable and any help in tracing it would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StolenBike38

Hi Guys,

My bike was stolen from an underground carpark in an apartment complex in the Santry area over the weekend. Literally have it 4 weeks. Have reported it to the Ballymun Guarda Station but no luck so far.

Below is a pic - if anyone sees it please give me a shout would be very grateful. So p*ssed off..... :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We've had 3 posts in different threads today about David McCann's "missing" bike, so I've moved one of them here where hopefully it will stay on or near the front page for a while

Specific thread with pictures and better description of the bike here

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 28 irishoffroad

Hi
    This is not the forum I want to be on but my precious hard-tail bike was nicked from the back of my house in Irishtown the other night. Its a Silver Rockhopper with Hydraulic Disk breaks, front shocks,little silver bell and I changed the peddles to metal double sided clicker ones, also had a rear high mudguard. I had a big heavy duty motorbike chain around the crossbar with a black padlock. Its like the one in the photo. Lock looked a bit like the one in the photo and peddles the same as photo.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/151889/161569.jpg

• levi wrote: »
    I saw a bike similar to the one you were describing just at Nutgrove (Rathfarnham) earlier today. Sorry I haven't been on my computer to post but it was identical to one in the pic you posted and it had a rear mountain bike mudguard. I don't know if it was your bike but maybe keep an eye out around there - the guy on it was going into Aldi/Homebase/Harvey Normans.

Again sorry I didn't get onto the computer earlier - this info may have been of more use!

Thanks for the info, Levi. I've been away for the last week so have only seen the message just now. You've hardly seen the bike in the same area in the last few days again? Without wanting to sound like a pr*ck, did the guy seem like someone who might have nicked the bike themselves or inadvertently bought it off a thief?

This seems like a good lead. Any suggestions as to what I should do? Leave posters around the shops there? Offer a reward?

Any suggestions appreciated...and thanks again Levi.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

I haven't seen it since - I don't live that close to Nutgrove it's just on my route home from spins up the Dublin mountains. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Dunno about the guy on the bike - he didn't look like a blatant knacker or anything but that doesn't mean he wasn't the guy to steal it.

Maybe put up a few signs about it being missing - I don't really know what approach to take to be perfectly honest.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right lads, i'm fuming now. My bike was robbed.

It's a Giant FCR4, just like this one:
    FCR%204.jpg

It's not in great nick, distinguishing features are:
    *Missing front dérailleur
    *Big mountainbike mudgaurd on it.
    *Dirty with scrapes on it.
    *A blue bottle holder
    *Ultra gatorskins front and back

I have the stamped serial number too.

Is that beside merrion shopping centre?

If it is try a spin around the estates hidden in behind it, between the people occupiers in there and the kids from the school up the road theres a good chance thats where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I see you are from Rathfarnham. A work colleague was in the orchard last week and caught 2 fellas trying to rob his bike.

if it happened in rathfarnham then I think the cops got the cctvv footage from the orchard...

best of luck anyway

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is that beside merrion shopping centre?

If it is try a spin around the estates hidden in behind it, between the people occupiers in there and the kids from the school up the road theres a good chance thats where it is.

Mods, sorry, didn't see this thread!

CramCycle, yeah that's the spot! The lock seems to have been cut with a bolt cutters. I'm not so sure it was some kids. Might pop out to have a look around though.

I'm still fuming over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

This thread motivated me to get the frame numbers from the bottom brackets of my four bikes (and my Kryptonite lock key numbers.) I e-mailed them to myself, as it easier than writing them down.

Rikki Don't Lose That Number
    You don't wanna call nobody else
    Send it off in a letter to yourself

Mods, sorry, didn't see this thread!

CramCycle, yeah that's the spot! The lock seems to have been cut with a bolt cutters. I'm not so sure it was some kids. Might pop out to have a look around though.

I'm still fuming over it!

I won't use the words I would normally use to describe some of the scum people in the estates behind there but for some reason people believe its a nice area when after living there for awhile, I can assure you its not. Far prefer living down in Rathfarnham myself. If they don't provide any luck, the area up behind RTE, Beech Hill normally has a load of thieves scum undescribables knocking about ( I lived in Airfield terrace for awhile), you can drive into it from beside the bus station in donnybrook.

The lock seems to have been cut with a bolt cutters. I'm not so sure it was some kids.

3 x 12 yo kids broke into my sisters house to steal a wallet and phone on her kitchen table, just up the road from where your bike was taken, don't rule out anyone.

Well i went out there yesterday evening and looked around for a while, it was just depressing doing it though, didn't see anything. Went around the estates and such, and had a look in the school near by...nothing.

God damn it...

I'm already looking for a cheapish replacement to get me through the next few months.

Cheers for the help though lads, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Hi Everyone.
    My Girlfriend just had her second bike stolen in 4 weeks from outside the D4 Hotel in Ballbridge.

the First one was a brand new(only 3 Weeks old) Felt QX 65. Red and Black.
    if some try to sell it to you message me.

Her new Bike. Eurotrek Sliver and pink. only 14 day old.

Hi Everyone.
    My Girlfriend just had her second bike stolen in 4 weeks from outside the D4 Hotel in Ballbridge.

the First one was a brand new(only 3 Weeks old) Felt QX 65. Red and Black.
    if some try to sell it to you message me.

Her new Bike. Eurotrek Sliver and pink. only 14 day old.

Thats a nightmare, what kind of locks was she using?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Holyboy wrote: »
    Thats a nightmare, what kind of locks was she using?

she has two, a Lock joint lock bike lock
    like this:
    http://www.busytrade.com/selling-leads/1325785/Sell-Motorcycle-Lock-joint-lock-bike-lock.html
    and a kryptonite lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

That's just awful :(

How did they cut through the kryptonite?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

AstraMonti wrote: »
    That's just awful :(

How did they cut through the kryptonite?

Most kryptonites are ****, its the top of the range ones that are the good ones.

kona wrote: »
    Most kryptonites are ****, its the top of the range ones that are the good ones.

I was assursed the better kryptonite locks could not be cut through with an angle grinder as they clag up the discs,so we decided to give it a go,i think it took about seven seconds!